Need advice on buying a computer.

455olds

Gawd
I am helping my boss pick out a computer. He is willing to spend $1000 but I want to get him best deal possible. Needs computer and would like around a 24" display. He will not be gaming on it but needs enough power to play hd video or not sure if his wife may want to run photo shop on it or something. I just don't want to cheap out too bad,want something a little future proof.

I priced out a inspiron 3000 on dell's site with a 24" display for $700. Is this about best I can do for him?
I am willing to build something if it would be a better value but I need a complete system with operating system. I don't have any parts to donate.

I don't recommend building a system for your boss. Regardless of whether it's for work or his personal use, you become his IT support should anything go wrong with it.

If you want to find the best deal possible on a prebuilt system, try looking at bargain hunting sites like SlickDeals or TechBargains. Here's one such deal courtesy of TechBargains:

Dell Small Business has the Dell Optiplex 3020 Mini Tower Intel Core i5-4570 Quad-Core HASWELL Server Desktop Computer w/ 3yr Warranty for a low $569.00 Free Shipping after $50 off Coupon Code: "J2JVJ3C51C06VB" (Exp Soon). Tax in most.

Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core HASWELL; 4GB RAM; 500GB HDD; DVD burner; Windows 7 Professional; 3yr warranty; keyboard/mouse

All you have to do with the above system is add some memory and grab a monitor for it. But again, this is one example of the deals you can find online.

I don't recommend building a system for your boss. Regardless of whether it's for work or his personal use, you become his IT support should anything go wrong with it.

This. Unless you're absolutely comfortable with putting a build together on your own, best find a system with a good warranty.

If you want to find the best deal possible on a prebuilt system, try looking at bargain hunting sites like SlickDeals or TechBargains. Here's one such deal courtesy of TechBargains:

All you have to do with the above system is add some memory and grab a monitor for it. But again, this is one example of the deals you can find online.

+1. Never build for someone else unless they are in your house (you are probably already the default IT guy anyway).

What were the specs of that Dell?

It was a i3-4130 with 8 gig of ram. It also had a 1tb hard drive and 300 watt power supply.

I am going to consider tirades link also. I'll take a look when I get home. On my phone now.

live near the Boston Micro Center. Looking at these 2.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/427788/Inspiron_3000_Desktop_Computer

Intel Core i3-4130 Processor 3.4GHz
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premim (64-bit)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
Intel HD
DVDRW Drive
8-in-1 Memory Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11n Wireless
Bluetooth
$479

http://www.microcenter.com/product/427790/Inspiron_3000_Desktop_Computer

Intel Core i5-4440 Processor 3.1GHz
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
Intel HD
DVDRW Drive
8-in-1 Media Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11n Wireless
Bluetooth

$529

If you must get the computer from Micro Center, grab the Inspiron 3000 with the quad-core i5-4440 processor. In the long run, your boss (or his wife) may want to increase the RAM (for Photoshop) or add an SSD (for faster startup and shorter load times), both of which the PSU can support.

You may want to search a few bargain hunting sites beforehand to see if you can find something better. Or, you should consider looking for similar (if not identical) products on either Amazon or NewEgg as Micro Center will price-match those two retailers.

As for the display, the Dell U2414H is a good choice. But does your boss want to spend over $200 on a monitor, especially if he can't tell the difference (in visual quality) between the U2414H and a cheaper monitor? You'll find better deals (though not necessarily better quality monitors) online; Micro Center doesn't have the best assortment of monitors available in-store.

I'd go for the latter Dell. As for the display, best hit up the displays forum for that.

Back