Need a scary game NOT Stalker or Bioshock

I've always wanted to try SS2, but it's nearly impossible to find the game at a reasonable price. :mad:

I have not played it myself but as others have said the Penumbra series. Developed by a couple guys and worth a purchase imo.

Of course everyone has already played it but am I alone in thinking Quake 1 was pretty damn scary?

Condemned 2: Bloodshot if you have a ps3 get the demo from the playstation store, turn off the lights, turn up the sound. motherf(*& was it scary as shit!

My friend had to pause the game sometimes and be like "hoooly shiit man"

System Shock 2 - really old but I remember it being scary as hell.

Older game that really gave me the shakes: The Suffering

You could find it on eBay, Amazon, etc. for less than $15.
Can't believe I forgot this one! It didn't get a whole lot of word of mouth, but IMO it felt fairly original, very moody. Not really a spoiler, but my favorite scary part was running around the loony bin when my batteries crapped out and I had to rely on a handful of flares for lighting :eek:

(minor content not story spoiler) My sister was over when I was playing it and she busted out laughing when she heard the young innocuous sounding pyro girls say "come play with us" and subsequently the gunshots :D

Would System Shock 2 still have the same affect today as it did back then? I mean, we've been pretty spoiled with pretty graphics and effects, similar to how the original King Kong scared people back then but now it looks completely ridiculous by today's standards. I can imagine playing SS2 and being turned off by the lack luster visuals and just not being able to get into the game. Anyone else played it recently that can chime in on how well it holds up?

The game is very spooky. I played it back a long time ago and also recently. It's still great.

I play system shock 2 multiple times a year, and it still just as good now as it was then.

you could try out Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it's a vampire rpg. I only played some of it but there is one level in an old mansion that with the lights out scares the crap out of you. It is a couple years old though but still a decent game if you're at all into rpg's.

The funny thing about that whole mansion scene is here you are playing an immortal, badass bloodsucker, yet they manage to scare the crap out of you. It was creepy.

That was a good under-rated game, uses the source (HL2) engine so its not really old.

Can't believe I forgot this one! It didn't get a whole lot of word of mouth, but IMO it felt fairly original, very moody. Not really a spoiler, but my favorite scary part was running around the loony bin when my batteries crapped out and I had to rely on a handful of flares for lighting :eek:

(minor content not story spoiler) My sister was over when I was playing it and she busted out laughing when she heard the young innocuous sounding pyro girls say "come play with us" and subsequently the gunshots :D
I loved the psychiatrist character (forgot his name) and actually had a few nightmares about being chased by those freaks with blades for arms/legs.. The sequel, "The Ties that Bind," was pretty good, too.

AvP 2. Play as colonial marines. Hear that motion tracker go off and you will be at the edge of your seat.

I'll second Condemned 2. Make sure you play it with friends too... fear is contagious. Having pets can make playing a hell of a lot scarier too. Having something brush up against your leg during any scary game is a guaranteed heart attack.

Also, I can never get ss2 to work:(
It always crashes in the beginning of the game when I try to pick out my training missions or whatever those are.

I'll second Condemned 2. Make sure you play it with friends too... fear is contagious. Having pets can make playing a hell of a lot scarier too. Having something brush up against your leg during any scary game is a guaranteed heart attack.

Also, I can never get ss2 to work:(
It always crashes in the beginning of the game when I try to pick out my training missions or whatever those are.

This might help, I might trot out my old copy and see if I can get it running on Vista.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958

I read about Penumbra on an anandtech article this week, they gave it the best bargain bin bang for the buck at $10 at Best Buy. I'll probably pick that up sometime after I play Clear Sky.

I can't believe people are suggesting fear. They must be 10 years old.

Doom 3 had a "jump" factor but it wasn't scary

Would System Shock 2 still have the same affect today as it did back then? I mean, we've been pretty spoiled with pretty graphics and effects, similar to how the original King Kong scared people back then but now it looks completely ridiculous by today's standards. I can imagine playing SS2 and being turned off by the lack luster visuals and just not being able to get into the game. Anyone else played it recently that can chime in on how well it holds up?

I still play it every now and then, and it holds up well. The graphics are sub-par of course, but it still manages to deliver. But maybe I'm just looking through beer goggles. :cool:

I can't it say enough, graphics take a backseat in this game in importance. Audio ambience, scripting, always random respawning monsters so you never clear out a level, the storyline and audio log journal, all of it combine for a truly phsychologically scary experience. It's not the fact that you have a scary monster to kill, it's that the monster is screaming and begging you to kill it while it attacks you because it's a former human! Stuff like that is the extra edge. That's it, I'm gonna play it again I miss how good it was.

I played Deus ex and SS2 for the first time, last summer. The graphics were Jurassic Park level compared to today, but the storyline, atmosphere, gameplay, etc. were superb; far better than what we're getting from most games today. Graphics matter very little when it comes to whether a game is good or great. BioShock had excellent graphics, but was a lousy game.

Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube, get it, get it now.:p

Get the wii version if you can, its a lot more fun, and has more replay value. You can unlock the plaga laser and the ps2 versioin's costume for ashley (the one that doesn't suck).

Its also kinda funny when you think about playing such a morbid game on your cheerful little wii:D

Back