Need a program to reduce size of mp3s

FearThePenguin

Limp Gawd
i got a mp3 player for christmas and want to cram as much of my playlist onto it. the average mp3 i have is 4-5 meg. is there a program that will reduce the size of it? like reduce the quality? you know what im saying?

i would try looking up on google but i dont know what i would search for and wouldnt want to get the wrong thing. good to post here because people can give links to something that they have tried and proven to work well.

Originally posted by FearThePenguin
i got a mp3 player for christmas and want to cram as much of my playlist onto it. the average mp3 i have is 4-5 meg. is there a program that will reduce the size of it? like reduce the quality? you know what im saying?

i would try looking up on google but i dont know what i would search for and wouldnt want to get the wrong thing. good to post here because people can give links to something that they have tried and proven to work well.

If you do that, you will have a high loss of quality (going from 256 to 128, it would sound worse than 128). What you want to do is called transcoding. What you should do is re-rip songs from the original CD or encode your WAV files

Originally posted by finalgt
Somehow I doubt he's TOO concerned with quality.

Quite given away by the sentence 'Like reduce the quality?' that he wrote.

Goldwave audio editor is another decent option. It has a batch conversion feature that will do quite nicely to convert any file of any type to a low bitrate mp3.

Here's something you may need to watch out for when cramming lots of low quality files onto your player: There is a limited FAT on the little flash cards. For my Nomad Muvo 128MB, at about 45 files on it, it simply could not add more, even though there were still 15 MB of free space left....much like the Spirit Rover :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jgabby
Quite given away by the sentence 'Like reduce the quality?' that he wrote.

:rolleyes:

You are right, he wants to reduce quality, but most likely not completely rape the file. I used to have 192kbps files for my flash mp3 player, so you might say I needed to reduce the quality (320 -> 192). I didn't need to make the music sound like a tin can.

Originally posted by zachary80
[Bhe wants to reduce quality, but most likely not completely rape the file. [/B]

True enough...how about we leave him with this advice:

If sound quality at the lower bitrate is a priority, it would be better to re-rip the files off the CD.

If speed of performing the batch conversion is the priority, then transcoding is the way to go.

I would try transcoding one of your files, putting it on your player, and listening to see if the quality is good enough for your taste. Also try ripping a song newly off the CD at the lower bitrate and putting it on your player to see if the improvement is worth the time investment of processing all the CD's again.

what do i use if i dont have the cd? i have the music files but wont be able to freshly rerip them. i just want to be able to store more songs on my player

what do i use if i dont have the cd? i have the music files but wont be able to freshly rerip them. i just want to be able to store more songs on my player

nearly everyone's posts but mine live up to that criteria

Transcode it with dbpoweramp, as mentioned above. Just realize that it WILL sound worse at the lower bitrate than it would if you had just ripped the originals at the low bitrate. And it'll take up the same size.

If your ears don't care, then it's no problem.

I know a cute program with batch conversion mode, reduces up to 80 %.
This is your first post, so your intentions are somewhat unclear, but just be aware:
Hard|FORUM Rules said:
(19) ADVERTISING, site pimping, contests or any type of business promotion is not permitted. Soliciting for fraternal organizations, humanitarian causes or personal rewards is prohibited unless approved prior to posting.

If you do that, you will have a high loss of quality (going from 256 to 128, it would sound worse than 128).

Not so much if he uses the same encoder. Say LAME 3.97. All the musical information it drops for 256Kbps it's going to drop for 128Kbps anyway.

Back