• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need a new socket A CPU! Suggestions?

Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
49
Alright, as some of you know, I went about and fried my CPU. I'm looking into getting a new Socket A CPU, sticking with the AMD Athlon XP line. I had a 2600+, but I'm open to suggestions as to what my next CPU should be. Should I aim for a Barton core? Is there some magical XP chip that loves overclocking, that I've never heard about?

Fill me in!
 
this is what i have, and i couldn't be happier..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103440

but it cost more than when i got mine a year and a half ago..

if you can find a 35w 2400+ or a 45w 2600+ those would be a bit better bets.. but newegg doesn't have them right now..

you might be better selling your mobo and getting a s754 board, maybe a vnf-3 and a sempron64 and ocing the hell out of that instead..
 
scottatwittenberg said:
you might be better selling your mobo and getting a s754 board, maybe a vnf-3 and a sempron64 and ocing the hell out of that instead..
Yea for the price of a new XP you could almost grab a cheap s754 mobo + sempron, and you would get a lot better performance (at least in terms of games)
 
I have a mobile 2400 barton. On crappy cooling, I have it at 2.6ghz vs 1.6 stock, more than 1/3 overclock. But before you buy a mobile, make sure your mobo supports changing both the multiplier and FSB.
 
lithium726 said:
sempron64+socket 754 NF3 board. you cant beat it for the price.
werd it also runs cooler, performs better, and uses less energy ;)
 
Back
Top