Need A New Psu or Not??

HI,

I have a jeantech 700w storm, since i just got a 9800GTX that needs both pci power conectors my system was fine for about a week ,but now when i turn the power on it turns on then turns of then turns on again then powers up propley the 3rd time.
I would like to no whats going on is my PSU allmost had it?

Many Thanks

Well that PSU should be plenty of power for a single GPU system. Can you list out some system specs? Do you have an Intel CPU? Does this only happen when the PC is completely OFF, or will it happen on a reboot?

On some boards, they do a "double boot" which is where the system turns on for like 10 seconds, then turns itself off, then right back on and it works fine.

Well its realy pi££ing me of lol

Ok specs are foxconn x38a with a 6600 quad core go stepping

9800GTX ko

2gigs 1333mhz ocz ddr3

4xsata spinponts

PSU 700WATT jeantech storm

The blue led is allways on next to the green led on the motherboard i don't no if thats normal.
My blue led no longer works on my case power button

The board is not touching the case

And ocellaris it is like its doing a tripple boot it turns on for 5 secs turns of for 5secs turns on again then off and boots up fine,Reboots every time,And does it again if it is switched on and off by the mains or main psu switch at back or just shutdown and does not get to a post screen only when it boots 3rd time succsessfully.

Why i have no idea i need a solution :(

Many thanks

And ocellaris it is like its doing a tripple boot it turns on for 5 secs turns of for 5secs turns on again then off and boots up fine,Reboots every time,And does it again if it is switched on and off by the mains or main psu switch at back or just shutdown and does not get to a post screen only when it boots 3rd time succsessfully.

Why i have no idea i need a solution :(

Many thanks

This is really normal behavior. Its only adding 10 seconds onto your cold boot time, really nothing to worry about. You are not going to get a solution unless you swap motherboards, or possibly Foxconn releases a BIOS update to correct this (not likely).

Cold boot is to do with the windows OS booting not the power on and off ,When my pc reboots twice it does not even get to the post screen so cold boot is not even initialized.

Cold boot is to do with the windows OS booting not the power on and off ,When my pc reboots twice it does not even get to the post screen so cold boot is not even initialized.

Regardless of the terminology you use, the short boot (after being turned off) -> power off -> boot again cycle is normal.

Looking at the start of the post explain why this has only started to do this since i got my evga 9800GTX ko that uses 2 x pcie conectors ,It never did it with the 800gts that only took 1?

Man that's a bad PSU. On the Jeantech website, it lists that PSU with ripple ratings of 70mv on both the +3.3V and +5V rails. The max amount of ripple a PSU can have, according to the ATX 2.2 specifications IIRC, is 50mv. So that PSU might be harming your system and might not be capable of delivering 700W of power. Can't find what's the total available wattage/amps on the +12V rail.

Hook back up your 8800GTS to see if the triple boot problem goes away.

Well problems gone ,And i was under the idea that the psu would power my GTX as jeantech say this card can do sli and crossfire.
I just hope i have not damaged my card won't no till i get a new psu i guess,would like a Recommendation please :)

Well problems gone ,And i was under the idea that the psu would power my GTX as jeantech say this card can do sli and crossfire.
I just hope i have not damaged my card won't no till i get a new psu i guess,would like a Recommendation please :)

How much are you willing to spend? :D

You're in the UK right?

Anyway, I recommend the Corsair 650TX, 550VX, 520HX, 620HX or 750TX PSUs. Any of those Corsair PSUs will be enough for your system.

Well danny got the corsair 750w and the system seems stable,I think i can put this double restart stuff to rest and say its NOT normal to do this so if any 1 has this problem maybe changing the psu would be a good place to start.

;)

Back