• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need a new power supply

postalcop

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
1,780
I have been debating on starting this thread as I didn't want to start a new one asking what's the best psu. This is my sytem:

e6420 / Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard
2x 1gb OCZ Reaper 1066
ati 4870 / X-FI Fatality sound card
74 gb Raptor / 500 gb Samsung

I'm going to add 2 more gigs of memory and I'm going to oc the cpu. I have been reading through this section for a few days now trying to learn about power supplies. I have always just bought cheap ones, the last being a 600w ultra x-finity. It lasted for a couple of years but I can't power up my computer anymore.
Anyway, I was going to keep the price under $80 but after reading the reviews on the corsairs and seasonic, I just want to get a good one. I'm leaning toward the seasonic x-650 or x-750 because they are modular and quiet. Then I saw that corsair had the 850tx for $100 after rebate.
I'm also trying to learn about power supplies and how they work. I was all about wattage, as is my cousin who thinks I'm stupid for wanting to spend more than $40.
I know that a good 400w psu will power my system but I don't want bare minimum. I also realize I don't need a 950w psu either.

So here is what I want to know. What is my best option right now for the system I have? Watercooling and case lighting could come in the future. A complete computer upgrade will probably happen in the next year or two. I'd like to keep the price under $250. Also where is the best place to learn about them?

Sorry this is a little long.
 
Well, the best option would be the Seasonic X-650 like you said. However, it's certainly not the best value. I personally would go with something like the Corsair HX650 or Antec Truepower New 650W in your case, since those are still excellent PSUs and are much less expensive than the X-650. However, if you really want the best, the Seasonic is the way to go.
 
Thanks. That was the other thing I was wondering. Whether the best one out there was really the best value. I don't mind shelling out the money, I just don't want to be wasting it. I'm going to look into the two you mentioned.
 
Yeah, I second Zero82z's recommendations. Those two PSUs are of extremely good value.
 
Considering the Truepower New 650W is actually cheaper on Newegg at the moment, I recommend that over the Corsair HX650.
 
Thanks guys. I will go with the Antec. I've noticed the two of you seem pretty knowledgeable from the threads I've gone through while trying to make a decision, so I'll take your advice.:cool:
 
Back
Top