• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need a headphone recommendation *budget inside*

jtd

n00b
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
8
I'm looking for a nice comfortable pair of headphones that are closed-ear and are very bassy. My budget is no more than $120.
 
Last edited:
Check these out, JVC HA-RX700 - http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-ha-rx70...stereo-over-the-head/q/loc/111/206897541.html

I've had mine for about 10 days now, and they're great, plenty of bass, decent overall sound, good for music, great for gaming, I'm very content, and for the price they kick ass! Though you might be able to snag a set of used Beyer DT770-80's near the peak of your budget or if you can push to 150 get a set new.

I'd say for the cheap price the RX700's are definately worth a look. There's a very large thread about them on this forum, and another large thread over at Head-Fi about them. For that kind of cash, they're easily a damn good value, and they put out tons of bass imo, they might not put out as much as the Beyer's, but they're a small fraction of the price and some have said they like the tighter bass signiature the 700's can put out. It's punchy, and can get muddy if you push the bass too far, but finding the right mix was pretty easy for me to accomplish. Plus the JVC's don't need an amp to sound good, which is a big plus compared to more expensive headhpones. Hope that helps!
 
At that budget, my recommendations are: (I've owned the Sennheiser, the A-T, and the Sony; I haven't heard the Denon but it has received decent reviews.)
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Denon AH-D1001K
Sony MDR-V6 (or its equivalent MDR-7506)

As the poster mentioned above, the DT770 could be a good choice if you can fit in your budge as it is the monster of bass.

By the way, I strongly advise against any other model in the standard Sony line. The only other good headphones Sony makes are legacy and out of production and totally out of budget anyways (R10, Qualia 010, MDR-CD3k etc.).
 
Last edited:
After reading the JVC HARX700 thread I'm really leaning toward getting those. My only concerns about them are that they seem to get really hot really fast ?
 
ATH-A700/AD700. You can still find those for around $100 without too much trouble. No need to drop down for a A500. The problem, however, is that they're not particularly bassy.

$150 would net you DT770s, for bass. Used would be best. All of that was already said.


MAudio Q40s have been said to be basshead phones too.
 
Went with the JVC's. Btw, they are two dollars cheaper on amazon with cheaper shipping as well.
 
Very nice man! After about 2-3 hours they can get warm and make my ears a tad sore, but a 10 minute break and I'm good for another 2-3 hours. The best thing about the JVC's is if they don't work for ya, you're not out much cash and could resell them very easily.

Frankly I love mine, I might consider trying a set of A700's in the future, but for now I'm pretty damn happy and impressed. I do recommend the felt removal mod, all you gotta do is take the earpads off (start at the shortest section, you'll see when you have them), then there's a felt ring, start working an edge with your fingernail, a thick layer will come off, leaving a thinner layer that is glued to the cups...put the pads back on, and have clearer bass, mids and hi's, though most notable on the mids and hi's while not ruining the bass punch or volume (imo).

I hope they treat ya well man! I've been very happy with mine. Keep us posted once you get them, I did notice improved sound after the 50 hour mark, mine have closer to 150 hours on them now, and they rock man. Cheers.
 
They just got here today.

They are very wonderful headphones. I have the Zen 8GB w/ X-Fi Crystalizer.These headphones don't even need the crystalizer, but I use the option anyway.

They're EXTREMELY comfortable on my head. I have not had any heat issues at all either.

The mids and highs are amazingly crisp.

These headphones are definitley worth more than $30 as well, good buy.
 
Yeah, they're just awesome for the price (I paid $34 for them at Newegg a month ago), could easily be selling for double that and they'd still be a good value... In fact, that's what Newegg seems to be trying to sell them for ($60)... No clue why they would get away with it though, since they're still in stock elsewhere for $34 (Buy.com). They're up to $40 at Amazon as well. I think Newegg actually had the HA-RX900 for $60 or $65 when I got my RX700, but those are outta stock now.
 
I bought 'em from amazon and got ripped off honestly. They shipped out from Ontario CA, US to CT, US and it took nearly 10 days, $7 shipping. While other things that' came from CA, US (My mp3 player) only took 2 days to get here with $1 shipping.

So I suggest going with the buy.com shipping instead.
 
Back
Top