Need a good RPG

Motley

2[H]4U
I really enjoyed the Witcher 3, although it was too long and I never finished it.

Any good RPGs out recently, or soon to be released? btw don't like turn-based combat.

RPG's are long by definition. What is the last good one you enjoyed?

Reactions: DPI
like this
Well it's an FPS, not an RPG really. Its entertainment comes from cutting people up with a sword. Skyrim is far more RPG than SW2, which is FPS or third person play.

Well it's an FPS, not an RPG really. Its entertainment comes from cutting people up with a sword. Skyrim is far more RPG than SW2, which is FPS or third person play.

hmm well some of the reviews say SW2 is more RPG.

"
This game is an RPG, not a corridor shooter like the first one (just so everyone knows), but still the same Wang of the first game.

The world and art are awesome, game plays like silk, and outside of a few clipping issues with NPC models: no bugs or glitches."

Looks good. I see the RPG element after watching a gameplay video, not sure how in depth it gets though.

Well I decided to get it. And played for a couple of hours. Its pretty damn fun actually. Great visuals, lighting is killer.

This Wang guy keeps cracking jokes. lol

Combat is well done. Good game.

Go back and finish Witcher 3 and then get the expansions.
I can also suggest Mass Effect series for you.
Another decent one is Fallout 4.
Finally, I think if not done already, Dragon Age Inquisition is also grand.

Go back and finish Witcher 3 and then get the expansions.
I can also suggest Mass Effect series for you.
Another decent one is Fallout 4.
Finally, I think if not done already, Dragon Age Inquisition is also grand.

Thanks for the suggestions. Already played the Mass Effect series, those are great. Can't wait for Andromeda. Also played DA I.

Never tried Fallout 4, maybe I'll try that its on sale now for less than $20.

Last edited:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and the recent sequel, have some great RPG elements and they're not as long as Fallout/Mass Effect/Witcher.

I have Doom 4 almost near completed. I also have Dues Ex Mankind, about half way through that.

I found Fallout 4 for $22 on cdkeys so I got that now. So I should be good now, with SW2 & Fallout 4. That'll keep me busy in between BF1 multiplayer. I can't just play 4 hours of Battlefield, I need to break it up with other games.

Skyrim re-master comes soon.

Dark Souls

Deus Ex

Dishonored (2 comes out soon)

Dying Light

Many, many role playing games...

Pillars of Eternity is awesome if you like old school style RPGs like Baldur's Gate etc.

Dragon Age Origins is great with all the optional DLCs and high resolution textures etc. DA 2 is reasonable in my opinion, but the first in the series is the best (the gameplay seems to get progressively made "more accessible" for console users with each iteration of it) - and I really can't seem to click with DA Inquisition.

The Elder Scrolls series are great - some of my favorite RPGs ever - I'd recommend starting with Morrowind and progressing forwards from there. The Fallout series is great too.

South Park - the stick of truth is something a little different in the RPG category, but still very good and quite amusing too.

I really like FPS / RPG hybrids too like the STALKER series - Call of Pripyat is the most polished of that series, but there's also STALKER Lost Alpha, which is pretty awesome and is completely FREE and is a stand alone game in its own right.

...that's a few extra ideas for you :)

Meh don't like that turned based combat. Looks more like an RTS than an RPG.

If you think turn based combat is more like REAL TIME strategy than RPG then no wonder you think shadow warrior 2 as an RPG

RPG was very much turnbased combat from the beginning because it came from table Rolep laying games witch very much have some sort of turnbased combat. But the word RPG has been misused for so long you kinda forget where it comes from.
RTS mean REAL TIME strategy which mean everything happens in real time as opposed to turn based strategy game also know as funny enough TBS... for TURN BASED strategy

You see these 3 letter are what we call acronyms and the meaning of those words behind the letters are very important.;)

I really enjoyed the Witcher 3, although it was too long and I never finished it.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Elder Scrolls Online.
Literally every aspect of an RPG is in this game. It's an mmo hybrid, as what I like to call it. You can solo everything except veteran level dungeons. And, with additional content coming out and having zero requirement to pay for a subscription, ESO is hands down the best current RPG to play right now.

Another excellent thing about ESO , is within its recent update. Tamriel One. With Tamriel One, you are free to quest or adventure as you wish wherever you wish. Everything scales to you. Every zone, every quest, every NPC and every item drop. Making each adventure a useful one. Not many rpgs and or MMOs offer this these days. And since it's online, it's a blast to play with friends because you can all be different levels and still play together. Being different levels than your friends is almost irrelevant now. Which is awesome imo.

It's also a gorgeous game on ultra @ 4K.

Last edited:
First Dragon Age... While there is a decent amount of pausing on harder difficulties, it is fast paced enough that I never got bored. The story is decent, most playable characters are interesting and the customisation is enough that each playtrough felt unique. If you can get the ultimate version with all dlc, just know what some dlc, while short, are actually better than the main story line. It ranks up to witcher3 and mass effect 2 as far as action/rpg games are concerned

Elder Scrolls Online.
Literally every aspect of an RPG is in this game. It's an mmo hybrid, as what I like to call it. You can solo everything except veteran level dungeons. And, with additional content coming out and having zero requirement to pay for a subscription, ESO is hands down the best current RPG to play right now.

Another excellent thing about ESO , is within its recent update. Tamriel One. With Tamriel One, you are free to quest or adventure as you wish wherever you wish. Everything scales to you. Every zone, every quest, every NPC and every item drop. Making each adventure a useful one. Not many rpgs and or MMOs offer this these days. And since it's online, it's a blast to play with friends because you can all be different levels and still play together. Being different levels than your friends is almost irrelevant now. Which is awesome imo.

It's also a gorgeous game on ultra @ 4K.

I just recently got back into ESO. Not liking the Dark Brotherhood missions so much, though. I hate sneaking around, lol.

Meh don't like that turned based combat. Looks more like an RTS than an RPG.

Just to put out a correction, Tyranny is actually way closer to a traditional RPG than most anything listed in here. RPG's by their invention were turn based... in a literal sense with pen and paper D&D. Then later in RPG games taking ideas from D&D including the original FF games and Fallout 1/2 etc.
These were divided sort of into two categories. First person RPGs (that are turn based). And Strategy RPGs like Tyranny here which is third person and grid based. Japan created its own derivative design of "entering combat" and then fighting monsters inside of that combat.
RTS literally means: real time strategy. If there is "turn taking" then it is not in real time. The RTS genre is generally not an RPG subtype. Rather an entirely different type of game. Mostly based around defeating 1 or several opponents through either building and combat or just combat. WarCraft and StarCraft are the most well known. But there are newer ones such as Offworld Trading Company whose "combat" has an interesting twist.

However to your point, most people under 30 probably don't like traditional RPG designs anymore. And would probably prefer Action RPGs or Action games with RPG elements. I personally prefer strategy RPGs and was highly annoyed at Bethesda's move to make Fallout 3 (and of course later 4) basically an action RPG instead of a Strategy RPG. Obviously opinions vary wildly on the subject, but purists generally consider it watering down the genre. It makes the games faster and "more exciting" certainly, but it does so at the cost of cerebral strategy. Obviously people put different weights on what they consider fun. So to each their own.

Last edited:
Just to put out a correction, Tyranny is actually way closer to a traditional RPG then most anything listed in here. RPG's by their invention were turn based... in a literal sense with pen and paper D&D. Then later in RPG games taking ideas from D&D including the original FF games and Fallout 1/2 etc.
These were divided sort of into two categories. First person RPGs (that are turn based). And Strategy RPGs like Tyranny here which is third person and grid based. Japan created its own derivative design of "entering combat" and then fighting monsters inside of that combat.
RTS literally means: real time strategy. If there is "turn taking" then it is not in real time. The RTS genre is generally not an RPG subtype. Rather an entirely different type of game. Mostly based around defeating 1 or several opponents through either building and combat or just combat. WarCraft and StarCraft are the most well known. But there are newer ones such as Offworld Trading Company whose "combat" has an interesting twist.

However to your point, most people under 30 probably don't like traditional RPG designs anymore. And would probably prefer Action RPGs or Action games with RPG elements. I personally prefer strategy RPGs and was highly annoyed at Bethesda's move to make Fallout 3 (and of course later 4) basically an action RPG instead of a Strategy RPG. Obviously opinions vary wildly on the subject, but purists generally consider it watering down the genre. It makes the games faster and "more exciting" certainly, but it does so at the cost of cerebral strategy. Obviously people put different weights on what they consider fun. So to each their own.
I think that the popularity of Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, and Pillars of Eternity show that there is still an audience that craves traditional RPGs. Personally, Torment: Tides of Numenera is one of my most anticipated games of 2017.

I think that the popularity of Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, and Pillars of Eternity show that there is still an audience that craves traditional RPGs. Personally, Torment: Tides of Numenera is one of my most anticipated games of 2017.

I did enjoy Wasteland 2.
I couldn't' get into Divinity for whatever reason. I dunno, something about the dialog and the pacing just bothered me (as well as conversations determining stats???? I mean, that's just annoying). Combat was fine though.
Haven't played POE, but I thought that was a Diablo clone.

I am looking forward to a new Torment game, but if I'm honest, I never got to played the original. I actually tried to recently, but at least on recent OS' it just crashes constantly on the same point (and yes, I'm referring to the GoG rerelease which is supposed to have less bugs). Shame. I read the synopsis so I sorta know what happens, but I'd still like to play it to get the experience. I would love just an up rezed version of that and FF that also allows for a Windowed mode. And you know, also doesn't crash.

Still, it's nice to have games to look forward to.

I did enjoy Wasteland 2.
I couldn't' get into Divinity for whatever reason. I dunno, something about the dialog and the pacing just bothered me (as well as conversations determining stats???? I mean, that's just annoying). Combat was fine though.
Haven't played POE, but I thought that was a Diablo clone.

I am looking forward to a new Torment game, but if I'm honest, I never got to played the original. I actually tried to recently, but at least on recent OS' it just crashes constantly on the same point (and yes, I'm referring to the GoG rerelease which is supposed to have less bugs). Shame. I read the synopsis so I sorta know what happens, but I'd still like to play it to get the experience. I would love just an up rezed version of that and FF that also allows for a Windowed mode. And you know, also doesn't crash.

Still, it's nice to have games to look forward to.
One note:

Path of Exile is a diablo clone.

Pillars of Eternity is an oldschool, real-time with pause, top-down, party-based RPG. I really wanted to like it, but i couldn't get into the combat. The story and atmosphere, character building, etc. was all top-notch.

Oh, and AMEN on the annoying nature of stat bonuses from conversations in Divinity:OS. I loved the game but got tired of save-scumming. I am really hoping that they do away with it in the next iteration.

One note:

Path of Exile is a diablo clone.

Pillars of Eternity is an oldschool, real-time with pause, top-down, party-based RPG. I really wanted to like it, but i couldn't get into the combat. The story and atmosphere, character building, etc. was all top-notch.

Oh, and AMEN on the annoying nature of stat bonuses from conversations in Divinity:OS. I loved the game but got tired of save-scumming. I am really hoping that they do away with it in the next iteration.

So we agree? You've basically said the same things I did.

Half the games mentioned are not RPG. I suggest Wastelands2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, and Elder Scrolls Online.

Well I ended up getting Fallout 4. And I started playing it, and that game is wacked. The controls are complete shit. You press the W key to move forward, and it takes a few seconds before the guy even moves. Then when I try to run, it only lasts about 10 seconds, then he's back to a slow crawl.

Don't like it at all, not even close to the Witcher 3 gameplay. Good thing I only paid $20 for it.

I used a controller for Fallout 4 most of the game I didn't care for the using the tab key for inventory ect...

Back