• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a good mATX PSU

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,017
Do any exist? I know its slim pickens, but I need one. I was thinking a few possiblilties. Option 1 being a Shuttle 350W that comes with their SLI system. Option 2 being a good mATX, if one exists. Option 3, a normal mATX, and then the Thermaltake 250W SLI secondary PSU thinger that goes in a cd-rom bay.

I need to power the following:

Opteron 165 (will be OCed to 2.8-3Ghz)
2GB Ram
Biostar T-Foce
7900GT, vold modded and OCed
2x250GB Raid 0
DVD Burner
TV Tuner
X-Fi


The actual mounting specifications dont matter (aka matx vs shuttle) as its going to be used in a mod, and I can design a way to mount it however I need to. However, space is quite a large concern, I dont have much of it. Because of that, the shuttle is the best option, but i've heard shuttle psu's are made to work only with shuttle boards. Truth? If thats the case, I need the smallest matx psu out there capable of running my system (with the possibility of the secondary 250W thermaltake).

So... lets have some suggestions. How should I go about this?
 
What are the exact dimensions of the space we are working with? Noise a concern?
 
Spectre said:
What are the exact dimensions of the space we are working with? Noise a concern?


The space we are working with depends on how much I want to cut I guess. Ideally, something less that 5" wide and 3.5" tall. Depth matters not, ive got pleanty of room there. That pretty much limits me to a shuttle.

The other option would be something 5" or less tall and 5" or less wide, in which case I could put it on its side, but i'd be loosing a CD-Rom bay, which is less than ideal, and rules out the use of that TT thing, as ive only got 2 cd rom slots to use.

EDIT: And yes, noise is a concern.

EDIT2: That seasonic looks tasty. To bad its just a hair to wide though. 5.1" wide. Ive got 4.9 to work with, and that .2" is as good a mile. However, what I dont like is "Seasonic SS-300SFD 80PLUS @ 250W (34 dBA@1m)". 34dba is way to loud. What I wonder though, is the fan speed determed by heat, or does it speed up as the load increases? I could almots certainly mount an 80mm fan on the back of that to help cool it down if that would lower its fan speed.
 
Spectre said:

Damn, they get higher up than I thought. Up to 700W.

Not sure if this system will see any upgrades, but I may even get like a 510W just to be safe for the future. Looks like finding these from a reputible company may be tricky though.
 
I'm thinking this: http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=1655

Its the only site with a half decent RR rating.

Before I get it though, I want to confirm, these 2U rackmount PSU's will have no problem powering a normal system right?And for that matter woudl this 510W PSU be the same power wise as a normal atx 510W psu. I know Zippy is a reputable company, but I dont know how a 2U PSU woudl differ from an ATX PSU.
 
Viper87227 said:
Before I get it though, I want to confirm, these 2U rackmount PSU's will have no problem powering a normal system right?And for that matter woudl this 510W PSU be the same power wise as a normal atx 510W psu. I know Zippy is a reputable company, but I dont know how a 2U PSU woudl differ from an ATX PSU.


What board exactly?
 
You can use a 2U in favor of a mATX. In many cases (punny!) the same motherboards I'm going to put in a 2U rack are the same I'm going to put in a desktop case.
 
jonnyGURU said:
You can use a 2U in favor of a mATX. In many cases (punny!) the same motherboards I'm going to put in a 2U rack are the same I'm going to put in a desktop case.

Beautiful. Thanks.
 
Back
Top