Need a good 3D ready GPU!

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
Hello Forum!

I had just purchased my 1st 120hz 3D monitor (Benq XL2420TX) but failed to realize that I would need to upgrade my GPU as well. I currently have ATI 5870 which as far as I know doesn't support NVIDIAs 3D vision 2. I want to get something where I would see a clear difference in performance in todays modern games. Was thinking between $300-$400 range. What u guys think about the GTX 670? Will there be a big difference in performance for me?

Thanks guys!

Obviously an AMD GPU isnt going to support a Nvidia feature....just sayin. :)

I dont follow or memorize current video card models performance. Just google it and youll have your answer.

Nice monitor btw. :p

So what u guys think? GTX670? It seems like it would be a good bang for a buck. About $380 on newegg and it seems it would almost double my performance. Upgrading from ATI 5870

The fastest card that fits your budget is a 670. You'll need every bit of performance out of it to run 3D as your frame rate is effectively halved when running 3D. Nice monitor btw. :)

If you don't mind returned merchandise check out Amazon Warehouse Deals. They have the EVGA cards up there discounted all the time. Might stumble across a 680 in your price range. Need someone else to confirm this, but I believe EVGA warranty is honored regardless of previous ownership. But please confirm that first OK?

Here is the link to the 680's. I spy an EVGA 680 for $420. :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&field-keywords=gtx680&rh=,k:gtx680

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
680 for $420 might not be a bad idea. :))). I never purchased 2nd hand pc hardware before... what are the chances of getting a bad product from amazon warehouse?

A 670 or 680 will kick ass for 3D gaming. SOME games like Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs have native 3D support but I don't know if they work frame-sequential like your monitor needs. I've only tested them frame-packed.

680 for $420 might not be a bad idea. :))). I never purchased 2nd hand pc hardware before... what are the chances of getting a bad product from amazon warehouse?

They have free shipping on returns for 30 days after purchase. It's a matter of dropping the package back off at UPS. You just print your return label and tape it to the box. But do ask about the EVGA warranty. I'm sure someone knows.

I have a shopping cart going on newegg. Adding the GTX680. )))

Should be fun testing it out.

So what u guys think? GTX670? It seems like it would be a good bang for a buck. About $380 on newegg and it seems it would almost double my performance. Upgrading from ATI 5870

really a 660TI performs roughly the same as a 670 with cash to spare

radeon 7950, 670, 660TI

I have a gigabyte gtx670 and love it, nice cooling solution compared to those with axial fan cooling.

I actually just got a XL2420TX for christmas, and I've been running it with x2 670s. But there have been times where I've been limited to one, and a 670 still tears through 1080p. With one i play BF3 at a mixture of low and medium, and it gives a CONSTANT 120 fps. I would wholly recommend a 670, but it's up to you to decide what brand/cooling features are right for your scenario and situation.

Welcome to the green team! ;)

I actually just got a XL2420TX for christmas, and I've been running it with x2 670s. But there have been times where I've been limited to one, and a 670 still tears through 1080p. With one i play BF3 at a mixture of low and medium, and it gives a CONSTANT 120 fps. I would wholly recommend a 670, but it's up to you to decide what brand/cooling features are right for your scenario and situation.

Welcome to the green team! ;)

Placed an order for the GTX 680 last night! :)

Thank you for the welcome!

Green team?

Back