Need a fast 8-port SATA II card

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I need a Non-RAID but very fast SATA II card with at least 8 ports.

My current WHS has a 3Ware 9500S-8 card with 128MB of RAM.

It is used in non-raid form because that's what WHS wants.

The card is fine with transfer speeds of around 23MB/Sec UNTIL the cache fills. Then it's like hitting a brick wall. Speed drops to around 3MB/Sec.

I need a card that is more balanced than this since I'm not using RAID any longer.

It needs to be a PCI card.

Anyone used something that works out well, with more reasonable transfer rates?

Also, a second question. Anyone know if such a card swap will piss off WHS and break the JBOD? That would not be good :)

This is what I did for my WHS. I'm sure you can get a PCI version of that card... with the port multipliers it works out to 10 ports.

You don't need some super high performance disk subsystem for WHS as the disk migrator service dogs I/O anyways.

I wouldn't bother with JBOD as if you loose one drive, everything goes, so might as well just add them all indivudually, replicate the crap you want replicated, and let WHS worry about what happens when a drive eats it.

Edit: just as a side, does your WHS box not trust seagates as well? because before i added another 5 750 WD's I had a 750 Seagate that was full up to the brim, when i checked a week afterwards, WHS had dumped all the data off the Seagate and onto the WD's.... curious...

I did find ONE card that is straight SATA II with 8 ports:

http://www.cooldrives.com/8-channel-8-port-sata-pci-card.html

A couple of sections in your post confuse me though:

"I wouldn't bother with JBOD as if you loose one drive," - WHS uses a modified JBOD system. I guess I could have been clearer...

"Edit: just as a side, does your WHS box not trust seagates as well?" - I'm not sure where you came up with this. My WHS has seven Seagate drives in it...

This is what I did for my WHS. I'm sure you can get a PCI version of that card... with the port multipliers it works out to 10 ports.

You don't need some super high performance disk subsystem for WHS as the disk migrator service dogs I/O anyways.

I wouldn't bother with JBOD as if you loose one drive, everything goes, so might as well just add them all indivudually, replicate the crap you want replicated, and let WHS worry about what happens when a drive eats it.

Edit: just as a side, does your WHS box not trust seagates as well? because before i added another 5 750 WD's I had a 750 Seagate that was full up to the brim, when i checked a week afterwards, WHS had dumped all the data off the Seagate and onto the WD's.... curious...

nice card anyone know if i can grab that in the uk anywhere

so a pci-x raid cards can fit and work properly in a pci slot?

im looking for a similair 8 port card too- can only find pci-e or pci based ones with 4 ports...

Yes, they work just fine. I have three of the cards linked above, they work just fine in Windows and Solaris. Linux support was shaky a year ago when I tried it - if DMA was on, you got occasional corruption, and if it was off... well, you got performance like DMA was off :p

I can't find a computability list for that card on their website. It looks like a good deal but I want to make sure it works with my MB and HD's first.

I have this Gigabyte MB with the P35 chipset http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128087

And I'd be running 8x500GB WD AAKS drives.

If anyone knows if it'd work or where I can find a detail sheet, you'd make my day!

Back