Need a cheap basic PSU.

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
A family friend's computer, some old clunker from 2001, has had it's PSU die. The model that's in there now has no labels or anything and she does not need anything fancy. Just your basic PSU for an 8 year old machine.

Just go with a cheap but reputable brand PSU. Something around 350w would be plenty considering the hardware back then. I'd look at the Antec Basiq or Earthwatts power supplies. I know you can get some steals on them. There's some 20% off coupon codes on Newegg right now.. and combine that with the 15% off Paypal and you've got a good deal. Just make sure it has all the right connectors you need.

How much longer do you think already 8 year old hardware is going to last..? :p Most motherboards only have a life expectancy of 5 years solid use.

How much longer do you think already 8 year old hardware is going to last..? :p Most motherboards only have a life expectancy of 5 years solid use.

I've got my old Retro Gaming machine that works just fine.. Most components are 8-9 years old.. or older.

We have some computers on the production floor and in Labs where I work that are still PIIs and PII Celerons. they run pretty much 24/7 and still work fine.

What kinda crap have you been buying that goes dead after only 5 years?

Most motherboards only have a life expectancy of 5 years solid use.

I don't know how you treat your hardware, but I've got quite a few older boards, some as old as ten years, that are still in perfect working conditions. I expect at least that amount of longevity out of pretty much all of my hardware. There's no reason anything should fail before then unless there's a defect.

I don't know how you treat your hardware, but I've got quite a few older boards, some as old as ten years, that are still in perfect working conditions. I expect at least that amount of longevity out of pretty much all of my hardware. There's no reason anything should fail before then unless there's a defect.
Yes, I know. I'm just going based off of the life expectancy of some of the components they put on them, such as voltage regulators , capacitors, or other critical parts. If you look on some of the major manufacturers boards and check into the design specs for them, they're rated for 50,000hrs and the like. (24hr x 365days x 5yr = 43,800hr) Certainly you can get a much longer lifespan out of them, especially if you turn off your computer at night or don't overclock.

I have a 520 watt aspire PSU, a tad over kill =] but Im not using it

I have a 520 watt aspire PSU, a tad over kill =] but Im not using it

I think you mean an overrated 200W Aspire PSU, which also happens to be a piece of shit that will probably spontaneously combust when placed under any reasonable amount of load.

Edit: To clarify (due to certain other less than polite replies), Aspire PSUs are very low-quality units, which use unreliable components and are rated way past their actual capacity. Because of this, they are also extremely prone to failure, and there are many cases where Aspire PSUs have literally gone up in flames while in use, sometimes even taking the system they're connected to with them as well.

Edit: To clarify (due to certain other less than polite replies), Aspire PSUs are very low-quality units, which use unreliable components and are rated way past their actual capacity. Because of this, they are also extremely prone to failure, and there are many cases where Aspire PSUs have literally gone up in flames while in use, sometimes even taking the system they're connected to with them as well.

QFT. And here's the proof:
Apevia ATX-AS500W-BL
Apevia Warlock Power 900W
XQPack's Included 420W PSU
Aspire Beast 680W Power Supply

antec basiq 350 covers most of the builds i sell. they are reliable and basic, sufficient for all single core machines and most dual cores

I just saw some Antec Basiq BP350's for $30 over at Office Depot on lunchbreak, at least if the OP wants to find one local there are other options.

Great price. The vendor's reseller rating leaves me wondering though

I've ordered from them several times. Never had a problem. There shipping isn;t as fast as newegg, but I received every order 7 working days from the time my order is placed.

Ended up getting the Basiq, runs really quiet. Only problem I ran into was that the power cords were not long enough for the strange sideways setup that the case has where the hard drives are pointing to the sides instead of the usual angle.

Had to pick up a 4 pin power extender from monocable but besides for that it seems to do what I need it to do.

Back