Need a backup-power solution for 3 servers, cable modem, and switch.

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I need a backup-power solution for 3 servers (IBM xSeries tower server, Dell PowerEdge 400SC, and Dell PowerEdge T105), a switch (Dell PowerConnect 2024), and a cable modem (Motorola).

We had a APC Smart-UPS 1400VA RM 2U 120V
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=su1400rm2u

According to the website, they recommend:
APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial RM 2U 120V
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=su1400rm2u

Would you guys agree? I'm basically looking for something to power all the things mentioned for a good amount of time... how much time do you think the replacement would give us in case of power outage?

Also, is it worth to just buy a new unit or are the batteries replacable? If so, would you recommend just replacing the battery?

I'm sorry, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to power backups, UPS's, batteries, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

-Lukas

Just figure the max draw for each device and then size the UPS for 30% over what you really need. This is of course as long as cost allows.

Do yourself a favor, spend the $50 and install a APC netman card into the UPS and configure it. Then you can just query via SNMP for monitoring and let it send you emails for alerts/scheduled tests. Has worked well for me.

Just figure the max draw for each device and then size the UPS for 30% over what you really need. This is of course as long as cost allows.

Do yourself a favor, spend the $50 and install a APC netman card into the UPS and configure it. Then you can just query via SNMP for monitoring and let it send you emails for alerts/scheduled tests. Has worked well for me.

Makes sense... 30% overhead would work nicely.

Shouldn't any new APC just come with the card??? I tried to Google netman but there's very little info on it... and I found a store but outside of U.S. that carries it. Old cards?

But yeah... I definitely need to get alerts and sh*t because today was a day from hell due to a 30 second power drop.

They come with USB/Serial connectors to hookup to a pc... i googled something once and it was some script that you ran where it would shutdown individual computers if the power was going, instead of just the one connected via usb

Would you recommend APC or TrippLite?

Budget looks to be around $600 USD

I've used Cyberpower recently just do to cost, seems very good, have used the 1500VA and 2200VA model as well as some of the smaller ones.

i dont know about SU's that small but for the larger smart ups there are xl versions which you can attach additional battery packs to it to increase run time.

I just picked up a few UPS units from refurbups.com. I was actually impressed with the units. A few scratches on the top and bottom, but they ship with new face plates and batteries.

Anyone who wants to shop with RefurbUPS.com, if your a first time customer, PM me for a quick and easy 5% off your first order -- ill give you a coupon code.

x2. why buy a new unit, unless you need more time. these things never go bad.

i bought the same unit a smart ups 1400 off ebay for $20.00. auction said not sure if working, wont power on and no way to test. i took the chance. bought it, bought a 80$ battery and now have a working when new 1000$ unit for 100. powered both my servers, switch, cable modem for 45mins on the brand new battery that i never even charged. and it still had 2 bars left to go.

I have two APC SUA1500 UPS each with their own AP9617 Network Management Card. Great units.

I checked and the units are as follows:

IBM xSeries x226 has a 500 Watt power supply
Dell 600SC has a 300 Watt power supply
Dell SC440 has a 250 Watt power supply

F*ck... that's 1050 Watts at maximum... do the servers draw max power if there's no one connected or if there's not too many reads and writes to the drives?

I checked and the units are as follows:

IBM xSeries x226 has a 500 Watt power supply
Dell 600SC has a 300 Watt power supply
Dell SC440 has a 250 Watt power supply

F*ck... that's 1050 Watts at maximum... do the servers draw max power if there's no one connected or if there's not too many reads and writes to the drives?

PSUs will only provide/draw the amount of power needed by the PC. So if no one is connected or little activity is going on, there will be relatively lower power draw.

Back