NEC PA301w or PA302w?

PAo_ReVoLT

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planing to retire my triple 2490WUXi and was waiting for HDMI 2.0 4K but it seem like it not going to happen this year. So I decided to just go with 3x 1600p instead.

Now the price of 301w from B&H is $1700, for 302w is $2250. What is the different between those two?

Also I already the calibrator from 2490 but the new one that come with 301 and 302 seem different. Should I get 3 panels alone or 2 panels and 1 with SV?

My main use is lightroom, excel, web browsing and sometime games (mostly static games like CIV V, Europa or FM series). If you guys have any suggestion other than NEC please let me know. Budget for 3 panel not over $7k.

Thanks

The PA302W does not use a grainy matte coating, has better black levels, consumes less power, runs cooler and offers similar color accuracy. You need to buy the new Spectraview kit since your old colorimeter is not compatible with LED back-lit monitors.

Unless you need a wide gamut monitor and own the 2490 with the A-TW polarizer (A-TW vs. normal IPS) all 30" monitors are considerable downgrade since 30" have far worse black levels when viewed from <4ft away due to the far more pronounced IPS glow. 30" glow examples.

If you don't need a wide gamut monitor or perfect sRGB color space coverage, save some money and pick up 3 glow free Eizo EV2736W's which is a good (Review Links) upgrade to from 2490 or wait for the new glow free 1440p Eizo's from this thread to be released which support hardware calibration.

Last edited:
The PA302W does not use a grainy matte coating, has better black levels, consumes less power, runs cooler and offers similar color accuracy. You will need to by the new Spectraview kit since your old colorimeter is not compatible with LED back-lit monitors.

Unless you need a wide gamut monitor and own the 2490 with the A-TW polarizer (A-TW vs. normal IPS) all 30" monitors are considerable downgrade since 30" have far worse black levels when viewed from <4ft away due to the far more pronounced IPS glow. 30" glow examples.

If you don't need a wide gamut monitor or perfect sRGB color space coverage, save some money and pick up 3 glow free Eizo EV2736W's which is a good (Review Links) upgrade to from 2490 or wait for the new glow free 1440p Eizo's from this thread to be released which support hardware calibration.

Is there a 1600p that equivalent to EV2736W, I don't want to get in to 16:9 16:10 thing but i really prefer 16:10. My 2490s are clocked in around 15k hours already, The brightness is really dim.

Thanks

No, the overpriced PA302W is the only decent 30." If you think the tiny resolution increase is worth paying for go for it, obviously you can afford it. As a fellow owner of a glow free monitor, I would wait for the new glow free Eizos if I could afford it.

No, the overpriced PA302W is the only decent 30." If you think the tiny resolution increase is worth paying for go for it, obviously you can afford it. As a fellow owner of a glow free monitor, I would wait for the new glow free Eizos if I could afford it.

Thank for the reply, do you know when It (The new Eizos) will be released to retail?

Last edited:

There won't be a 30" inch Eizo, so it's kinda moot, and since he asked for a 30"...

Thank for the reply, do you know when It will be released to retail?

It's out now. B&H has them: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1004292-REG/nec_pa302w_bk_30_color_accurate_desktop.html

Also to note with the anti-glare coating, the PA301W has basically the same coating as the 2490. So if the 2490 makes you happy in that regard, the PA301W probably will too.

I have a 301 and I love it. My favourite monitor EVAR :D. However, the 302 does look like a nice improvement. Mostly the LED backlight means less power, less heat, and quicker time to specified brightness. Not a big deal, but it'd be nice to have.

That said, maybe you can find a deal on the 301 since they are being discontinued which makes it more attractive.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but how does the PA301W compare to the Dell U3011 rev. A07?
Usage would be gaming, programming, and trolling the web (not necessarily in that order of importance)
I know the Dell 3011 had issues with AG coating such that Dell actually changed it starting with revision A07.

Looking to upgrade from a dual HP2475w/Dell 2411f setup.
I'm also thinking about hooking up a DVR to it, for times when I want to watch in the privacy of my office.
So does the scaling work well and as a TV monitor, does it work well enough?
My wife doesn't always appreciate those wonderful SciFi original movies :)
Since I went to do a lot of programming related work, I do want the extra space from a 16:10.
I have dual 16:10's at work, so yes, I'll notice the difference if I just went with the standard 2560x1440 displays.
I found a clearance model for $700 and it seems these monitors might be worth it over the U3011.

700$ is a hefty some for irrelevant garbage, especially since it is possible to buy two vastly superior 27" 2560x1440p monitors for the same price. The 3011 is essentially a bigger version of the LP2475 (it's a broken wide gamut monitor with inaccurate and over-saturated colours when not used with programs which support colour management since its sRGB mode doesn't work) with far more white glow and lighter blacks when displaying dark content. 16:10 monitors are irrelevant and overpriced in all but the 250$ range (Asus VS24AH-P) compared to the 16:9 competition, and 2560x1440 offers far more screen & pixel real estate than 1920x1200.

The 3840x2160 Acer B326HK occasionally sells for 750$ in the US. The Acer has far, far less white glow when displaying dark content, higher contrast/deeper blacks, less ghosting and an essentially grain free matte coating compared to the grainy coatings CCFL back-lit IPS panels use. The 1000$ BenQ BL3201PH is pretty much the same as the Acer, but it can be considered delay free while the Acer has 2 frames of input lag along with the Dell 3011. The Dell 3014 is even worse than the 3011, so don't ask about it.

Best 27" 2560x1440 Monitors & Best 32" 4k Monitors.

Last edited:
700$ is a hefty some for irrelevant garbage, especially since it is possible to buy two vastly superior 27" 2560x1440p monitors for the same price. The 3011 is essentially a bigger version of the LP2475 (it's a broken wide gamut monitor with inaccurate and over-saturated colours when not used with programs which support colour management since its sRGB mode doesn't work) with far more white glow and lighter blacks when displaying dark content. 16:10 monitors are irrelevant and overpriced in all but the 250$ range (Asus VS24AH-P) compared to the 16:9 competition, and 2560x1440 offers far more screen & pixel real estate than 1920x1200.

The 3840x2160 Acer B326HK occasionally sells for 750$ in the US. The Acer has far, far less white glow when displaying dark content, higher contrast/deeper blacks, less ghosting and an essentially grain free matte coating compared to the grainy coatings CCFL back-lit IPS panels use. The 1000$ BenQ BL3201PH is pretty much the same as the Acer, but it can be considered delay free while the Acer has 2 frames of input lag along with the Dell 3011. The Dell 3014 is even worse than the 3011, so don't ask about it.

Best 27" 2560x1440 Monitors & Best 32" 4k Monitors.

Thanks.
Forgot to state that at work, I have 2xU3011 (aspect ratio still on my mind when typing), which is why I want to stay at 16:10.

Will take a look at the Acer if it does get that low.

Back