EIZO update 27" ColorEdge: CX271 and CG277

The CX271 looks badass for design work, which undoubtedly means it's going to have some god awful signal delay and ghosting

after Prad tested the CG246 I thought the lag might be finally tolerable on these ColorEdge displays, but it turned out that the CX was noticeably slower. Amongst the EV series 27" versions also tested quite a bit slower than 24" although the slightly older CG275W was OKish for lag similar to the CG246. In the end I decided 27" CX wasn't worth the risk of too much lag given the high cost. I might become interested in the new version if a reliable source tests it and shows low lag.

Prad on CX240:
The latency is an important value for players, we determined as the sum of the signal delay time and the average half-time frame rates. The signal delay falls with the CX240 from 15.0 milliseconds. The desired brightness is reached after a further 8.5 milliseconds (Overdrive A) for which we calculate average total latency 23.5 milliseconds.
Prad, CG246
The signal delay is the CG246 with 10.0 milliseconds longer than most current monitors. Until the desired brightness pass another 6.7 milliseconds (Overdrive) for the average total latency thus arises for an IPS panel average value of 16.7 milliseconds.
Prad again, CG275
9.2 milliseconds, the signal delay is the CG275W longer than most current devices, the image buffer holds about half a frame. Until the desired brightness pass with overdrive enabled further 7.3 milliseconds, the average total latency thus reached a total of 16.5 milliseconds.

heh I just bought the CX240 (will do a small review when I get it!). I don't play though. Will this lag affect movie playback in any way?

Lag won't be a bother for movie playback. It's a problem for gamers and anywhere else action needs an instant repsone and can't easily be anticipated e.g. broadcasters tracking cameras in say F1 or tennis. Also for action photographers, their LCDs and viewfinders on digital cameras have the same issues as the desktop monitors.

after Prad tested the CG246 I thought the lag might be finally tolerable on these ColorEdge displays, but it turned out that the CX was noticeably slower. A.................5

So... what have the input-lag been measured to on your current monitors?
Do you even have a clue?

heh I just bought the CX240 (will do a small review when I get it!). I don't play though. Will this lag affect movie playback in any way?

The lag on computer screens is one to three hundreds of a second.
It's a none issue for the vast majority. In games that is.

Will they come with fans? In my never ending quest for a decent 27" the CX looks interesting, but no way I'm getting a monitor with a fan :)

So... what have the input-lag been measured to on your current monitors?
Do you even have a clue?

The lag on computer screens is one to three hundreds of a second.
It's a none issue for the vast majority. In games that is.

I worked video editing and motion graphics on a DELL 2709W, rated at around 65ms.
Believe me, it's awful. The mouse feels heavy and laggy, any movement on the screen feels like a pull. I even asked for a new mouse and video card, hoping for the best.
Nah.

High input lag and high pixel response time does affect professionals, it's not just the gamers that have an issue with them.

Maybe photographers that work will still images mostly, dont mind.

As a photographer that works with stills, the cg2777 monitor seems to be the gold standard. I personally hate calibrating my monitor, it is such a chore.

I currently have a HP LP2475W (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm) it has a 6ms lag which actually does not bother me. I'm sure it would for some people, but playing left4dead 2 or any other fps, is perfectly fine for me.

The CG277 has an advertised 6ms lag. If that # is accurate, then I would not be compelled to get a second monitor for gaming.

I just looked into the Dells input lag, I got a lot of different numbers here, from 12 to 65. That amount of lag seems absolutely awful for anyone. What the hell was dell thinking?

Back