NEC P241W

This will likely replace the LCD2490WUXi2-BK. This is probably why I was able to get mine for $698.00 a couple of months ago.

Hopefully it will be worthy of such a designation :)

14-bit 3D LUT versus 12-bit 2D LUT looks like an upgrade in theory.

Last edited:
Given the price tag I think its safe to assume this is an 8-bit e-IPS panel like the NEC EA231WMi (well, I think thats the 8-bit one)?

The spec sheet says it can go up to 85hz which is the highest I've ever seen on a 60hz LCD. Wonder if it can do true 85hz.

The spec sheet says it can go up to 85hz which is the highest I've ever seen on a 60hz LCD. Wonder if it can do true 85hz.

It might accept an 85hz input without actually refreshing at that speed.

I had a really old LCD monitor that accepted 75hz but still displayed at 60hz.

Those input lag measurements are wrong, wait for Prad to test it for the real values.

Well it is a professional level monitor with gaming really not in mind as its general purpose. But it would have been nice if it wasn't so high.

This is a high level universal monitor for everything.
Usually we do not look for much info in reviews of NEC most successful line 2490WUXi - 2490WUXi2 - P241w.
Unless a major innovation is introduced, most of details are known without reviews.
NECs say much more than their reviews.

It was nice to say another hello to excellent out of box performance and convenient features. Same as usual for years.
However a couple of things were to be checked: brightness regulation/stability and improvement in mechanics (a new stand).
Both excellent.
Input lag has never been a problem.
Yes, measurements provided for the 2490WUXi were wrong (it has 2 frames ~ 30-32ms).
40 ms for the P241w?
We cannot say yes or no. We only can say "unlikely".
Anyway it's not a big deal. Maybe I missed something, but the review seems to lack subjective observations to support input lag numbers.

The NEC panels are too bright (for people who like low brightness) without loosing CR :(

The NEC panels are too bright (for people who like low brightness) without loosing CR :(

not sure which model you are referring to, but the P241W seems to be able to get down to ~100 cd/m2 without sacrificing contrast ratio - ie through adjustment of the backlight intensity only. After this, lower luminance is available but only at the cost of CR through digital level adjustments

i know 99.99% will not,but for some reasons something like 60cd most of the time

Those input lag measurements are wrong, wait for Prad to test it for the real values.

Yes, there method is old and outdated. They rated the U2312HM as 0.9ms input lag which is basically impossible. Response time would make it close to 6 - 12 ms.

They even show average and maximum.

The rest of the review for the P241W was quite favorable though.

not sure which model you are referring to, but the P241W seems to be able to get down to ~100 cd/m2 without sacrificing contrast ratio - ie through adjustment of the backlight intensity only. After this, lower luminance is available but only at the cost of CR through digital level adjustments

This has been an issue in the past, but not with this screen. If 100 cdm/2 is too bright, 80 cdm/2 can be achieved but with the same black level. The PA series of screens seem to be able to go lower with native back-light control judging from the PA241W and PA271W reviews.

I think that the ability to go a bit lower would be more usefull than having a 400cd capable panel (who will use 400 !?)

sRGB gamut is very nice. I'm really glad to see it for this screen.
I completely agree about light brightness problem. I also work on 60cd and this low level is an issue for many screens. Most problematic are screens that utilize Pulse Width Modulation for low brightness levels. Hope P241W will be good at low brightness. Will see.

I have different question. Does this screen feature A-TW polarizing layer we have seen on W2490mk1?

NEC's professional lines tend to handle low brightness very well, better than any other manufacturer that I know of. I seriously doubt the P241 will have a polarizer.

The P241W looks like it's basically the 2490 with displayport. That's not a bad thing. I still expect the price on this model to drop a bit, as the P221 is always available for a hundred or more off MSRP (thought the MSRP on that model is out of whack).

Unfortunately both these screens are wide gamut, not good for my purposes.

They have gamut transformation built-in, but they are also in the $2k U.S. range, and all that for an A-TW polarizer is a bit high IMHO.

Back