NEC LCD2690

I think I've seen my 2490 down in the .14 territory for 0% backlight black levels, FWIW.

LCD backlights get weaker over time. How many hours on yours?

My 2490 at 0% was like .25 (166 white) when new, now it is near .20 (140 white), Probably .15 (110) in another year or so.

The really seem to drop pretty quick as the hours accumulate. I really should shut mine off more when not really using it.

LCD backlights get weaker over time. How many hours on yours?

My 2490 at 0% was like .25 (166 white) when new, now it is near .20 (140 white), Probably .15 (110) in another year or so.

The really seem to drop pretty quick as the hours accumulate. I really should shut mine off more when not really using it.

True. ~3800hrs now, probably about 800 less when that measurement was taken at least.

True. ~3800hrs now, probably about 800 less when that measurement was taken at least.

Just checked mine. I am at ~2100 hours. last config was also about 800 hours ago was 141/.20 at about 1300 hours.

Just measured it right now (didn't calibrate): 130/.18 You can really see it drop as the hours accumulate. I thought it was a bit too bright when I bought, but now, I am glad to have the extra brightness overhead for a couple of years down the road.

The one I sent back was about 0.195 / 153, made me sad great black and contrast.
The one I kept is about .210 / 136 (the one with no problems in the middle).

The one I sent back was about 0.195 / 153, made me sad great black and contrast.
The one I kept is about .210 / 136 (the one with no problems in the middle).

Did you check that your calibration correction profile isn't elevating your blacks?

Did you check that your calibration correction profile isn't elevating your blacks?

0% brightness, color comp off, auto brightness/luminance off, warmed up 3 hours. It's a big enough difference that you could see it when they sit next to each other.

Cranked to 100% brightness, black levels were 0.55 and 0.60, respectively, with similiar white brightness. The panels just have different contrast.

0% brightness, color comp off, auto brightness/luminance off, warmed up 3 hours. It's a big enough difference that you could see it when they sit next to each other.

Cranked to 100% brightness, black levels were 0.55 and 0.60, respectively, with similiar white brightness. The panels just have different contrast.

I'm referring specifically to your SVII results screen and settings not OSD. You need to view the curves to see if it is applying a correction at low brightness which will elevate black (happened to me, my blacks were in the mid 0.2x range). There's a checkbox in SVII setup to prefer "better greyscale tracking" or "maximize contrast ratio". If set to the former it will DEFINITELY elevate black. For a while, even when set to the latter, it continued to elevate black for me then fixed itself eventually.

The only OSD setting of yours I "disagree" with is colorcomp. Turning it on makes a huge difference to uniformity, albeit sacrificing the brightness of white depending on your individual panel. For me it's a no-brainer to leave it on. The plain white and plain grey backgrounds in layout and photo tools are wonderfully uniform.

Yes, I know Color Comp off has less uniformity, but that's not a big deal for me.
I definitely have the "maximize contrast ratio" setting within SVII software.
I have even measured in User Mode 1/2/3/5 running flat out with RGB 255/255/255.
In a dark room, it's apparent that the panel bleeds light more over a larger section of the panel than the previous panel. It's manufacturing variation, that's all..

I assume after a couple three weeks the initial BLU brightness will dip a bit, improving the black level, but of course contrast won't be affected.

Yeah some actually seem to reach the advertised 800:1, mine is more like 700:1 still not horrible, but with it that low, I don't want to sacrifice any. I don't actually notice any uniformity issues except slight darkening near the edge.

hey 10e, Do you think the Eye One is better than the newer Spyder 3 Pro? I know its better than the Spyder 2...

I think I've seen my 2490 down in the .14 territory for 0% backlight black levels, FWIW.

Make absolutely sure that Spectraview isn't elevating your blacks trying to match greyscale. See the "a fresh look at an old favourite" thread and my back-and-forth with Snowdog as I figured things out. At one point despite the fact that I selected "maximize contrast ratio" instead of greyscale tracking, it was still elevating my blacks trying to match greyscale at very low intensity.

Tell SV to display your applied correction curve and check that there isn't a hockey-stick at the low end...

Thanks for that. I will check it out and apply your findings hopefully. I vaguely remember something about manual transmissions too. Never owned an auto car myself. ;)

Heh, I won'r really complain once the backlights in my 2690 get weaker. Even now I have brightness set at 0 and contrast at 40% :-(

Yeah some actually seem to reach the advertised 800:1, mine is more like 700:1 still not horrible, but with it that low, I don't want to sacrifice any. I don't actually notice any uniformity issues except slight darkening near the edge.

With CC off, I think I saw mine reach 850. For my purposes and with my particular panel, it's worth leaving CC on and sacrificing a little contrast.

Heh, I won'r really complain once the backlights in my 2690 get weaker. Even now I have brightness set at 0 and contrast at 40% :-(

Aren't you supposed to leave contrast at 50%, and use low or advanced low brightness, or use SVII to program in some panel blocking via calibration to lower cd/m²? Or if using custom profile, lower the white point RGB values?

Aren't you supposed to leave contrast at 50%, and use low or advanced low brightness, or use SVII to program in some panel blocking via calibration to lower cd/m²? Or if using custom profile, lower the white point RGB values?

I would use low brightness mode before I messed with "contrast", that's for sure.

The low brightness mode actually does the same thing - lowers contrast by blocking more backlight with the crystals. The black level remains the same.

Try measuring it with you calibrator. (Or just trust me and my calibrator :) )

Low brightness mode doesn't work if you have calibrated it with SV (But I might have some controls locked) but contrast still works. This is rare use for me as the 130+ brightness of mine is low enough 95% of the time.

If I wanted a lower brightness than the panel could deliver (at 0%) all the time I wouldn't do either contrast or low brightness mode. I would just calibrate to a lower brightness.

If it is just for occasional use (working late at night with tired eyes) either one is pretty much the same as far as I am concerned. My only goal in this situation is to reduce brightness without regard for calibration status.

You use sunglasses inside like the crazy home theatre people do! :cool: lol
Or at least the ones with high gain screens and projectors with gray black.

I calibrated my SVII 2690 with D65, Gamma 2.20 intensity maximum and contrast ratio is at default and 6500k. Color Temp is off

My summary is Calibrated 5762k , Delta E 7.48

0.43 cd/m2 and max is 282.3 cd/m2

auto luminance is off.

contrast ratio is a low 660:1

I am a newbie at this. Can anyone explain what i could do to make this better? I am using max contrast in the settings.
thanks

Monitor works great, no dead pixels and the best LCD monitor i have used for gamming and viewing pictures. Got my 2690 at tech for less for 420 bucks.
HA

The low brightness mode actually does the same thing - lowers contrast by blocking more backlight with the crystals. The black level remains the same.

Try measuring it with you calibrator. (Or just trust me and my calibrator :) )

It may seem like the same thing (and probably is) if you're looking at white. What I wouldn't be sure about is what else it's doing to the whole colour spectrum. Default contrast is 50%, lowering it might use blocking just like the low bright LUT function. What does raising it do then? My point is just that the function of low bright is fairly well defined - use the LUT to lower brightness while preserving as much colour information as possible. "Contrast" may do other things depending on brightness of the displayed content in a non-linear fashion - don't know.

Yeah I just tried it. Lowering the contrast below 50% is the same as panel blocking. Above 50% is bad though.

Some LCDs though pin (0.5, 0.5) and then lower white and raise black which is lame, but not NEC they got it right of course.

Yeah I just tried it. Lowering the contrast below 50% is the same as panel blocking. Above 50% is bad though.

Some LCDs though pin (0.5, 0.5) and then lower white and raise black which is lame, but not NEC they got it right of course.

Yep, going with contrast above 50% produces very strange colours.

Back