NEC LCD2690

Travbomb quand you tell me if the price of 2190 will go down...It's the same price as the 2490...@ 1499$ and the 2690 is only 200$ more. :confused:

What's the deal....i don't get it.

thanks for filling in. any dates for Canada ?

Travbomb quand you tell me if the price of 2190 will go down...It's the same price as the 2490...@ 1499$ and the 2690 is only 200$ more. :confused:

What's the deal....i don't get it.

thanks for filling in. any dates for Canada ?

Dont know anything at the moment about price drops. Problem you start running into is that wide panels are much cheaper to make than 4:3 panels so the prices of say a 21 inch 4:3 and 24 inch wide become very close.

The day has finally arrived!! The LCD2690WUXi is officially in our warehouse and just has to go through quality control and then they will be shipping out next week.

Travbomb does the 2690uxi priced at 1699 include the spectraview software...I have the eye-one calibrator already? And are u guys going to ship to Canada too...I still can't get any dates in Montreal Or Toronto?:(

Thanks again.

Travbomb does the 2690uxi priced at 1699 include the spectraview software...I have the eye-one calibrator already? And are u guys going to ship to Canada too...I still can't get any dates in Montreal Or Toronto?:(

Thanks again.

We have a canadian warehouse also but we generally just ship from or california warehouse right to Canada.

No the $1699 version does not include the graetag colorimeter or software. The Spectra version should be out in a month.

I've already got a Gretag Eye-One Display2 calibrator. Is there any reason to wait for the Spectra version? Is there any advantage to calibrating with NEC software over the normal Gretag software? If so, will I be able to get the NEC software to work with my existing calibrator?

Thanks.

The SpectraView software will allow you to internally calibrate the monitor while Eye-One's software only calibrates through the video card.

You can buy just the software, or if you need a colorimeter, you can buy the software bundled with a colorimeter:

http://www.nm-select.com/searchresults.asp?search_id=12

Toasty has it right. Only thing though is dont go buying the software that is posted on their just yet. There is new software being written specifically for these monitors that will be posted in about a month.

SHoudl be the same price though.

Thanks for the info Guys !!!! i know i'm off topics but i can't ressist since you all seem so knowledgeable:D

I have rented a 2080ux until i can get my hands on the 2690...But i'm having trouble with the calibration.

I try to calibrate this monitor last night but i could not figure it out yet... I have a G5 with a eye-one display 2... I try to calibrate it with RGB control (eye-one) at first so when the RGB window apears, the bar for the red is all the way right the gren is in the center and the blue far left...so i went into the menu of the Lcd and try to change the RGB setting manualy but it doesnt change anything on my RGB window reading (eye-one) ? so i try RGB Preset at 6500k with the eye-one, got better result but still not good enaugh. My Lacie electron was so easy to calibrate...

Can anyone help please. What's the best way to do this, RGB Controls or Preset(eye-one). I would assume RGB controls but i don't understand why it didn't change the reading (RGB control eye-one)when i was in the nec menu playing with T R Y G C B M S ??

I Try To calibrate everything at native. So my target was native and the result is 5900K, The gamma was at native and i have no info for the result. the luminance was set at 120 and result is 121.3

The thing is i would like to have it at 6500K gama 2.2 and the luminace doesnt look right ? it's on the dark side? waht should i do to get those result?

Another thing i don't understand is when i open a picture in photoshop and i set it to have the grey background the photo goes flat when i change to black it's nice and contrasty if just play with the window size and make it a little bigger than the photo it changes again...Looks like the LCD is always ajusting accordind to what is on the screen overall ? Hope i make sence :confused:

Many Thanks

You say that I'll need to buy this software in addition to the monitor?
I find that to be ludicrous for a screen of this price-range, that we need to pay extra to be able to calibrate it. Geez. I can buy 10 fully functional cars for the same amount, and NEC thinks it's not enough to add this software?

Product arrives this week at our California warhouse and will be shipping next week. i will post once i get word it has arrived for sure.
Here in The Netherlands it has been postponed yet again. They now claim to have it by the 29th of January. I predict this is still too soon, and it will be at least february.

According to http://www.necdisplay.com/support/m...2/body.htm&title=View all drivers & downloads, the 2690 is supported in the latest download.

You say that I'll need to buy this software in addition to the monitor?

IF you want to calibrate the internal LUT you will need the software otherwise you can do it the old fashioned way with any software.

I will double check on the software but although it will be compatible with Spectraview II as teh website states i believe it iwll use an updated version.

I know that this is a US site, but for those over the pond in the UK who might be following this thread for info, i've had an email from NEC UK stating that they expect the monitor 'in approximately two weeks time.' So much for the 25th of Jan!! I'm getting really p***ed with companies delaying stuff. I might cancel my order and see if the Eizo S2411W comes out first, if not i'll just by the nec! Anyone know how they compare?

So has anyone got one of these yet? I'm eager to hear some first hand opinions on lag and response time...

(Looking to replace an otherwise excellent Philips 23")

Nope, still no news on this NEC.

I too am getting p*d off by this delaying. Hope it's really worth it.
If it's going to be later than the 16th of february, I will cancel my order.
Unfortunately I will not get back the interest they've collected on holding my money all this time. That's getting to be quite an amount of profit, what stores/dealers are making on not shipping orders after collecting the money from customers.

Nope, still no news on this NEC.

I too am getting p*d off by this delaying. Hope it's really worth it.
If it's going to be later than the 16th of february, I will cancel my order.
Unfortunately I will not get back the interest they've collected on holding my money all this time. That's getting to be quite an amount of profit, what stores/dealers are making on not shipping orders after collecting the money from customers.

Who did you buy it from? We have been shipping product since last week. Let me know and I can tell you where it is.

Travbomb:
Seeing as this is a screen on my "I want list", I wonder if you could check up something for me.

On the scandinavian NEC site, they state that the overdrive can be turned on/off (norwegian and swedish site).

Is it on or off by default? :)

TRAVBOMB Please Advise

I just spoke with the rep in Quebec, Canada. he told me he wont get any units until at least 2 weeks ? he told me your still not shipping? i'm Confused :confused: I called CDW.CA to get some info and they say there going to get a shippement on the 9th this week...The rep told me that's not true....I need this LCD badly...Who to beleived?:rolleyes: I cant wait another 3 weeks before it's on my desk. Could you tell me where your at with the shipping US and CANADA

Thanks.

Right now we have a few hundred in our warehouse in the states. They are supposed ot be coming out of quality inspection later today and then shipping out. We have already shipped a few of these to customers last week so they are shipping. Synnex, Ingram, and Tech Data Canada all have units on order right now.

Thanks for the quick reply Travbomb,

All those name doesn't ring a bell >Synnex, Ingram, and Tech Data Canada
When are they gona received there units? true wich store do they sell?

And if a place an Order With CDW.CA (they told me 9Fev)
Or Microserv (Dorval,Q.C.) when will they have it?

Many thanks for filling in. ;)

I ordered one from PC Connedtion last week, and it arrived this afternoon. I just finished calibrating it, and it looks great! It is much brighter than I'm used to, though, so I may try to tone it down a bit.

Hang in there - it's worth the wait.

Congratulations! :D
I am considering one of these babies myself. Might order one friday already :cool: Can you check if overdrive was on or off by default in OSD?

Edit: Pictures would be welcome ;)

ordered one from PC Connedtion last week, and it arrived this afternoon. I just finished calibrating it, and it looks great! It is much brighter than I'm used to, though, so I may try to tone it down a bit.
Ok, several questions for you when you feel like answering them...

1. Did it need calibrating?
2. What software/hardware did you use to calibrate (I'm assuming you didn't use SpectraView II - or did you)?
3. Do you notice any banding? With 92% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space, but only 16.7 million colors w/in that colorspace, I'm curious to know if you see banding.
4. And finally, if you game at all, any ghosting issues.

Thanks....and I'm envious. My Samsung SyncMaster 17GL CRT is laughing at me at the moment :)

Ok, several questions for you when you feel like answering them...

1. Did it need calibrating?

On my Mac, it looked fine without calibration. On my PC, it looked lousy, but that's probably because the PC was running through a weird profile that I'd created for my old ViewSonic. If you have no color-critical needs (I print fine-art photos, and the screen colors need to match the prints from my HP B9180) then you could easily get away without calibration.

2. What software/hardware did you use to calibrate (I'm assuming you didn't use SpectraView II - or did you)?

Gretag-Macbeth Eye1 Display-2, with the free included software. I may pop for SpectraView later, but it looks pretty darned good right right now.

3. Do you notice any banding? With 92% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space, but only 16.7 million colors w/in that colorspace, I'm curious to know if you see banding.

No, I don't see any. Is there a test pattern somewhere that I could pop up to get a more critical view?

4. And finally, if you game at all, any ghosting issues.

I'm not a gamer. Again, is there a test that I can easily run?

I'm REALLY liking this monitor!

For ghosting test, try Pixelsperan here: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/pixperan.html

Back to my question :)
Was overdrive on by default when you got the screen? The reason I ask is because of Behardware's statement when they tested the screen:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/648-3/nec-multisync-lcd2690wuxi-the-first-26-inch.html
Clearly the reaction time of this panel is disappointing. There has been no progress since the Nec LCD2090UXi, an IPS 16 ms. We even wonder if LG-Philips, the panel manufacturer, or Nec forgot to put the 1 in front of the 6ms response time.

I am considering to buy this screen myself this week if everything falls into place :)

Overdrive is off.

The program you pointed me to is for PC, and I'm on my mac now. When I switch back, I'll try to run it.

Tnx! I had a feeling that Vincent at Behardware forgot to turn on the overdrive before testing it :rolleyes: :D

Right now we have a few hundred in our warehouse in the states. They are supposed ot be coming out of quality inspection later today and then shipping out. We have already shipped a few of these to customers last week so they are shipping. Synnex, Ingram, and Tech Data Canada all have units on order right now.

I worked for Ingram Micro D back in the 80's. :eek: I am getting older....

I wonder why the overdrive is off by default? Does it have a negative effect on color reproduction or something?

If you have no color-critical needs (I print fine-art photos, and the screen colors need to match the prints from my HP B9180) then you could easily get away without calibration.....

Gretag-Macbeth Eye1 Display-2, with the free included software. I may pop for SpectraView later, but it looks pretty darned good right right now......

I'm REALLY liking this monitor!

PostPCMan, I would be interested to hear about your impressions of the monitor. I am also a photographer and color is absolutely critical to my workflow. I was looking at the Eizo monitors, but this, if it lives up to the hype, is looking a lot better. Thank you for any information you can give.

Joshua

On my Mac, it looked fine without calibration. On my PC, it looked lousy, but that's probably because the PC was running through a weird profile that I'd created for my old ViewSonic. If you have no color-critical needs (I print fine-art photos, and the screen colors need to match the prints from my HP B9180) then you could easily get away without calibration.

Gretag-Macbeth Eye1 Display-2, with the free included software. I may pop for SpectraView later, but it looks pretty darned good right right now.
Great. Color (photo-editing) is my most important feature. Gaming is a close 2nd though. I had read the BEHardware review that said this monitor was horrible for gaming because it was slow, but as Tamlin_WSGF pointed out, it appears that the review was done without the overdrive active. Now I'm very interested in how it performs with overdrive on.

Anyway, I have a Monaco Optix Pro calibrator (w/ software) so thanks for sharing your impressions.

For ghosting test, try Pixelsperan here: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/pixperan.html

Back to my question :)
Was overdrive on by default when you got the screen? The reason I ask is because of Behardware's statement when they tested the screen:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/648-3/nec-multisync-lcd2690wuxi-the-first-26-inch.html

I am considering to buy this screen myself this week if everything falls into place :)

Thank you very much for the first link,I used the Eizo supplied software to do a quick calbrate and test on my lcd screens,and was shocked at how well they did,especially my 2407.The AO4 kicks soo much ass compared to my A03 2005FPW.And the 2005 was no slouch to start with.Thanks again,major kudos to you ! :)

Its funny, if you go to the UKs page for the 2690

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co...s__Main,spec=x__uk__en,docId=211754,group=all

then click on the 'Product Finder' tab to the left, you'll find that if you select 'Photo Editing' from the 'APPLICATIONS' tab, the 2690 doesn't appear to be a monitor recommended, for this function, by Nec themselves?

Why is this i thought that was the point of this monitor; graphics, motion editing etc. Those areas which require hi colour (color!) fidelity?!

Simple mistake or am i missing something?

Thank you very much for the first link,I used the Eizo supplied software to do a quick calbrate and test on my lcd screens,and was shocked at how well they did,especially my 2407.The AO4 kicks soo much ass compared to my A03 2005FPW.And the 2005 was no slouch to start with.Thanks again,major kudos to you ! :)

You're welcome! Always nice to hear about a happy widescreen user! :D

Great. Color (photo-editing) is my most important feature. Gaming is a close 2nd though. I had read the BEHardware review that said this monitor was horrible for gaming because it was slow, but as Tamlin_WSGF pointed out, it appears that the review was done without the overdrive active. Now I'm very interested in how it performs with overdrive on.

It seems like it. The results of the 26" NEC looked much like the result of the 16 ms NEC. Lets hope it was a bummer from Vincent and that he figures it out and redo his review with overdrive on this time! :D

Back