• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NEC LCD2490WUXI not recognized by computers

steaxauce

Weaksauce
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
87
Edit: The issue I'm having has changed, and I'm bringing this thread back up because I haven't found a solution yet. My current problem is that my computer doesn't recognize the LCD2490WUXI when it's in HDCP mode, which makes it impossible to watch BluRays--one of the main reason I bought the monitor. If anyone has any experience with or suggestions on this issue I'd love to hear from them. Thanks!

Original Post:
I'm having an issue with my newly purchased refurb NEC LCD2490WUXI that I was hoping to find some help with. When I got it it worked ok with my laptop via VGA, though I only had the option to set the resolution up to 1600x1200. I connected it to my old desktop computer via DVI and still couldn't set it all the way at its maximum resolution, though I don't remember what the maximum allowed resolution was. I fixed this issue by selecting the option in display settings to decrease the frequency of DVI output for high resolutions. After doing this, I could choose resolutions up to 1920x1440. I selected 1920x1200 and it worked perfectly. I then connected the display to my laptop with an HDMI to DVI cable. The default resolution was 1050x1680, but I had the option to turn it up to 1920x1200 and did. The problem then became that the image was shaky. It became shakier the more I increased the resolution, but the effect never completely went away even when I made the resolution very low.

So here's where I'm at now. I reset the laptop in my attempt to get rid of the shakiness, and when I turned it back on, the monitor was no longer being detected. I purchased a second HDMI to DVI cable to find out if the cable was the issue, and that didn't fix the problem. I then connected it to my laptop via VGA again and the monitor still wasn't being detected. Finally, I connected it to the destop again via DVI and the desktop is now not detecting it either. The monitor is not being detected by either computer on any input. Oddly, though, the monitor works perfectly well when connected to a DVD player using either of the HDMI to DVI cables.

The laptop is an HP Envy 17 with an ATI Radeon M5850, and the desktop is an old Sony with, I believe, an ATI X300 graphics card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
In the OSD under Tools (4th menu) is "HDCP Content" set to off or on? With this setting set to "on" it will behave oddly if you try to force the resolution to something differently than 1280x720... and the EDID it provides in that setting set to "on" is very generic and only contains standard timings.
Try setting it to off and see if it make a difference.
 
dont use 1920x1440 or face serious issues.

1920x1200 is the native res for on this monitor, i own one myself.

try turning the NEC monitor on/off when its hooked up to the laptop, if that dont work toggle with on/off on your laptop display.
 
Would you be able to tell me where you found a 2490WUXi in stock? I can only seem to find the 2490WUXi2, which doesn't have the A-TW polarizer.
 
steaxauce, what revision is the screen? It will be on a sticker near the serial numbers

Unless you have it calibrated, I'd try doing a factory re-set first to clear any potential settings that may be interfering with the screen working properly.

In tab 9 of the Advanced OSD make sure DDC/CI is on. Also when connected check what Tab E says about signal information coming from the laptop.
 
powruser, PM'd. Thanks for your suggestions, 10e. The revision is 2B.

I now seem to have diagnosed the main problem. Oddly enough, it was my faulty laptop power adapter. I found that the monitor would always not work when the charger was plugged in, and it always would work when the charger was not connected. I replaced the charger and it's now recognized by computers and the picture is not shaky. I don't know whether the problem was that the charger was plugged into the wall with the monitor, or that it was plugged into my computer. The latter would seem more probable, but it wouldn't explain why the monitor wasn't working with the other computer.

My only problem now is that my computer doesn't recognize the monitor when it's set to HDCP mode, which prevents me from watching blurays on my computer. Any ideas for this?
 
I've put the updated, current problem in the original post and am bumping this thread. Still hoping for responses. Thanks guys!
 
Back
Top