NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

I just received my EA231WMi and was wondering if it's standard for the screen not to start right at the left and right? There seems to be a small gap on mine, almost as if the frame isn't cropping to the edge of the screen. It's just on the right and left though not on the bottom and top. Is this normal?

I'm not so sure about the slight gradient either. From what everyone else said, it isn't really noticeable but I guess I must have sensitive eyes, because it is really bugging me.

I have like a one mm gap between the bezel and pixels on all sides. I guess its normal. Depending on the design, some panels settle inside their case. Otherwise, I assume its slack in the manufacturing tolerances - I rather have a gap instead of the bezel covering pixels - I have seen other brands cover actual pixels because the bezel was crooked.

I was not impressed with this display. The blue/yellow to red gradient was just too much for me, so I returned it. It's fine for watching movies or TV, but if you use it for anything else, you should look elsewhere.

Word of advice, if you order from newegg or NEC, you can not get a refund. Newegg is going to give me store credit, but they wouldn't refund.

Hopefully, there will be some new monitor releases at the beginning of the new year. I heard Samsung has a Super PLS display that is supposed to outperform IPS panels, and they cost less to build.

i have a this video card
http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...0&prod_no=1867

both of the dvi ports are being used now with 2 monitors

I would like to use my new Nec Ea231 as a 3rd monitor
i think with the displayport on the nec -
but where will it be plugged into the pc ??

Your link doesn't work but is it this monitor?http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=652&prod_no=1867
If it is then you would need another card in order to run a 3rd monitor.

yes that is the correct video card - msi twin frozr

i cant run 3 monitors now because the card only has 2 x DVI ports ?
and does not have a displayport on the msi card

is that right ?

yes that is the correct video card - msi twin frozr

i cant run 3 monitors now because the card only has 2 x DVI ports ?
and does not have a displayport on the msi card

is that right ?

I don't use nvidia cards, but I think that all geforce cards can only run 2 monitors. To use nvidia surround with 3 monitors you need 2 cards. Even if you don't use nvidia surround you need a second card to run the 3rd monitor.

thanks for the reply Wagsrules

so if i did want to get 3 monitors hooked up

which would be a better option
1) tkae out the current card and buy a new video card with 2 x DVI and displyport

2) a second video card installed with dvi

if option 2 then i am thinking it will need more power on the power supply also perhaps additional fans as there would be 2 cards??

if you choose option 1 - to just get a new card is that all i need to hook up 3 monitors -
2 via the dvi ports and the nec 231 connectd with the displayport
it will not be used for gaming

I was not impressed with this display. The blue/yellow to red gradient was just too much for me, so I returned it. It's fine for watching movies or TV, but if you use it for anything else, you should look elsewhere.

Word of advice, if you order from newegg or NEC, you can not get a refund. Newegg is going to give me store credit, but they wouldn't refund.

Hopefully, there will be some new monitor releases at the beginning of the new year. I heard Samsung has a Super PLS display that is supposed to outperform IPS panels, and they cost less to build.

So what did you return it for then? Samsung's "Super PLS" will only be released for smartphones at launch. No plans for computer monitor displays yet.

So what did you return it for then? Samsung's "Super PLS" will only be released for smartphones at launch. No plans for computer monitor displays yet.

Yes, I did return it. I know some will be able to look past the horizontal gradient, but it was driving me insane. I have a hard time believing all display manufacturers won't soon upgrade their display technologies this year, especially to compete with displays of the new iMacs and ipads. I'm just going to stick with my old Cinema Display until something more promising is released.

I was under the impression that the LED backlit Apple Cinema Displays had no where near the color gamut of IPS CCFL displays? The Cinema displays look nice and richly saturated, but can you calibrate them for accurate results?

I have a hard time believing all display manufacturers won't soon upgrade their display technologies this year, especially to compete with displays of the new iMacs and ipads. I'm just going to stick with my old Cinema Display until something more promising is released.

iMacs and iPads use LG IPS screens just like the NEC EA231... ;)

I was under the impression that the LED backlit Apple Cinema Displays had no where near the color gamut of IPS CCFL displays? The Cinema displays look nice and richly saturated, but can you calibrate them for accurate results?

Oh trust me, I'm not saying my 22" ADC Cinema Display is any better than the NEC, but at least it is all one color across the screen, which is more than I can say for the EA231WMi display.

iMacs and iPads use LG IPS screens just like the NEC EA231... ;)

I realize this, but why is it that they don't seem to have the same color deformity issues as the EA231WMi? You don't have to tell me about the 1st gen., yellow-screened iMacs though, because we have one of those in our household. And the yellow tinge on the bottom is not nearly as distracting as a blue to red gradient running horizontally across the screen. I heard the 2nd. gen. 27" iMacs are just fine though.

We also have an iPad, and it is by far the highest quality screen I've seen compared to the EA231WMi or anything else for that matter. And I think the iPad screen quality will actually help spur some innovation in the desktop display market.

. I heard the 2nd. gen. 27" iMacs are just fine though.

Perhaps people are too distracted by the reflections to notice the tint shift. ;)

The panels all come from LG and it is LGs screwup and it tends to affect all monitors that include LG panels. I don't see any reason why Apple would be immune.

I wouldn't be surprised if you actually measured the shift with a calibration device it wouldn't be that different.

I don't notice any tint on my IPS panel but I measure a significant white balance shift across the screen. Going from ~6400K to ~6700K.

Perhaps people are too distracted by the reflections to notice the tint shift. ;)

The panels all come from LG and it is LGs screwup and it tends to affect all monitors that include LG panels. I don't see any reason why Apple would be immune.

I wouldn't be surprised if you actually measured the shift with a calibration device it wouldn't be that different.

I don't notice any tint on my IPS panel but I measure a significant white balance shift across the screen. Going from ~6400K to ~6700K.

Maybe you faired better than I then, because my EA231WMi was bad. Although, I really don't feel like ordering another one since NEC doesn't even allow refunds...another reason that I'm a little skeptical about this display.

Ya, I do realize that they're all coming from LG, but maybe LG won't be the only IPS screen-manufacturer on the market next year. I'm hopelessly optimistic. ;-)

My point is that why can't we have IPS monitors without glaring color tinges? Is it really that hard? I mean even some of the TN displays don't have all these weird tinging gradients when viewed straight on. I'd almost rather have a TN display with a bad viewing angle that doesn't have color tinges when viewed straight on. I don't really see the point in an IPS screen with accurate colors that has color tinges. It doesn't make sense and totally defeats the purpose of the display.

Maybe you faired better than I then, because my EA231WMi was bad. Although, I really don't feel like ordering another one since NEC doesn't even allow refunds...another reason that I'm a little skeptical about this display.

Ya, I do realize that they're all coming from LG, but maybe LG won't be the only IPS screen-manufacturer on the market next year. I'm hopelessly optimistic. ;-)

My point is that why can't we have IPS monitors without glaring color tinges? Is it really that hard? I mean even some of the TN displays don't have all these weird tinging gradients when viewed straight on. I'd almost rather have a TN display with a bad viewing angle that doesn't have color tinges when viewed straight on. I don't really see the point in an IPS screen with accurate colors that has color tinges. It doesn't make sense and totally defeats the purpose of the display.

I would love an alternative to IPS. I posted the Super PLS info on Dec 1 as soon as it showed up. But my expectation is that it might not even show up in portables within a year, let alone monitors. Also the only thing Samsung showed was an incredible phony comparison with IPS, so really we have a to wait some untold period of time until it might show up and then we need some third party verification. I wouldn't hold my breath. Monitors seem to be the dumping ground of old tech, while there is fierce competition in TV/Portable display tech.

As for what is actually available today, I will take IPS warts and all before TN/VA. But I don't go looking for issues that I don't notice in normal operation.

got my EA231WMi today. I think I see what people are talking about with tint shift/gradient. if I drag a white window from left to right, the left side looks more pink/red, center looks more green, and right side looks more blueish. It's not really severe but still a little noticeable. is this normal?

got my EA231WMi today. I think I see what people are talking about with tint shift/gradient. if I drag a white window from left to right, the left side looks more pink/red, center looks more green, and right side looks more blueish. It's not really severe but still a little noticeable. is this normal?

My gradient problem was actually opposite of yours, but yes, from what I've been hearing, everyone has had some sort of gradient issue. It's really glaring on a Mac, because if you have white windows on either side of the screen, they're different tinges. Apparently all LG e-IPS screens are like this though, so I guess you either try to ignore it (I couldn't) or send it back and wait for something better to be released.

My gradient problem was actually opposite of yours, but yes, from what I've been hearing, everyone has had some sort of gradient issue. It's really glaring on a Mac, because if you have white windows on either side of the screen, they're different tinges. Apparently all LG e-IPS screens are like this though, so I guess you either try to ignore it (I couldn't) or send it back and wait for something better to be released.

thanks, I guess I'll learn to live with it.

and I'm guessing "something better to be released" won't be anywhere near this price range of <$300 though, at least not for a long time.

Oh well, nothing is truly perfect...

Does anyone know any software that might correct the uneven tint? I emailed datacolor (aka Spyder) and pantone (aka HueyPro), here were their responses:

pantone said:
PANTONE hueyPRO would not be expected to correct this issue with your display, as it sounds like defect either with the display itself, or the video card in the computer. It is not normal for a display to have different tinting across its area.

datacolor said:
Monitors which are different from one side to the other are simply week monitors or broken. We are using an ICC profile to adjust and calibrate your monitor. This does not allow changes to different sectors of the monitor (the ICC standard simply does not support this). So there if no way to fix this issue.

I'm starting to consider maybe returning this and upgrading to a ZR24w (does the ZR24w have this issue too?)

Does anyone know any software that might correct the uneven tint? I emailed datacolor (aka Spyder) and pantone (aka HueyPro), here were their responses:

I'm starting to consider maybe returning this and upgrading to a ZR24w (does the ZR24w have this issue too?)

That's interesting. It's good to see what Pantone and Datacolor have to say about this. I don't think any color calibration will fix the issue, although I never tried, so if you know someone with an Eye-One or a Spyder, I guess you could try it.

I've heard the ZR24w is better than this NEC and the comparable Dell. I've heard some people complain of a green tinge, but they said after calibrating, it went away. I've also heard the viewing angle is not as great vertically.

I'm not doing photo work on mine, though plenty of web graphics work and I'd say that it seems to work fairly well. If your intent is gaming, you'll have no problems with this display

5118040942_d1f041315c_b.jpg

Just picked a couple of these up from newegg. One is perfect, the other has a stuck red pixel. I've been running UDPixel to see if I can make it go away but so far no luck.

I've noticed a few others with stuck pixels in this thread. Anyone have experience swapping out at newegg?

Has anyone compared this to the U2311H?

According to TFTcentral, it has more than 3x the dynamic contrast, which I assume will get rid of the cloudiness as seen on the Dell?

Thanks.

icor1031 said:
According to TFTcentral, it has more than 3x the dynamic contrast, which I assume will get rid of the cloudiness as seen on the Dell?
No. The "dynamic contrast" simply changes the backlight brightness, and not very well either. It does not change the image quality.

icor1031 said:
So the NEC is still cloudy compared to a TN?
Your question is invalid because you are comparing monitors that aren't even calibrated to the same standard. If the Dell and the ASUS were calibrated to the same standard, the Dell would look just as good if not better than the ASUS since the ASUS would be cloudy towards the bottom due to the viewing angles. Instead, you're using the dynamic contrast function on the ASUS which is screwing with the gamma curve in ways that the Dell and NEC monitors don't have a function to do. Turning off the dynamic contrast function on the ASUS would give you a more fair comparison, but you said that looks washed out, which is precisely my point. You want a distorted gamma curve, something that most monitors won't provide.

Your question is invalid because you are comparing monitors that aren't even calibrated to the same standard. If the Dell and the ASUS were calibrated to the same standard, the Dell would look just as good if not better than the ASUS since the ASUS would be cloudy towards the bottom due to the viewing angles. Instead, you're using the dynamic contrast function on the ASUS which is screwing with the gamma curve in ways that the Dell and NEC monitors don't have a function to do. Turning off the dynamic contrast function on the ASUS would give you a more fair comparison, but you said that looks washed out, which is precisely my point. You want a distorted gamma curve, something that most monitors won't provide.

When did I say turning off the dynamic contrast on the ASUS makes it look washed out?

Also, I've been using my ASUS with ASCR turned off.. Still looks way better.

Why did my Dell always look cloudy on every setting I tried, and I tried many, and my ASUS did not - even with ASCR off?

icor1031 said:
When did I say turning off the dynamic contrast on the ASUS makes it look washed out?

Also, I've been using my ASUS with ASCR turned off.. Still looks way better.

Why did my Dell always look cloudy on every setting I tried, and I tried many, and my ASUS did not - even with ASCR off?
I must have misread something somewhere. It's possible something is wrong with your Dell, but every picture you've put up shows the ASUS crushing colors badly. It might still be doing some of that even with the dynamic contrast function turned off.

I might post a picture of my dell and show you what a u2311h is supposed to look like. I also have a ASUS 23.6" TN laying around that couldn't even come close to the dell's contrast. You must either have a weird setting on or you just got a bad monitor.

I'm not doing photo work on mine, though plenty of web graphics work and I'd say that it seems to work fairly well. If your intent is gaming, you'll have no problems with this display

5118040942_d1f041315c_b.jpg

That is awesome. That's LOTRO right?

Slightly Off-Topic, but I have one of these coming from DataVis tomorrow. PM me, if interested.

Received the EA231 a couple of days ago and I am loving it. Picked it up for what I thought I was a fair price and have no dead pixels and no backlight bleed. Coming from an old Dell 1907, this is a big step up. Glad to hear that this is indeed an 8 bit panel and not the 6 bit as stated on tftcentral but I see they have corrected this. So far an excellent monitor that I look forward to using everyday.

I just bought one from Amazon for around $260 and calibrated it with a Spyder Pro. Stunning value in a monitor. I'm very pleased with every aspect of it. I have my 13 inch MacBook Air and my work Thinkpad plugged in to it. Easy to switch between them. No issues of any kind, nice colors and sharp easy to read text.

Bump. I'm seriously considering getting this monitor. I had the Dell U2410 but couldn't stand the tinting issues. I've since revised my budget and don't want to spend $500, though the new Asus may pan out as a nice monitor. Can I get some new feedback now that you've had the monitor for a while. Should I expect tinting issues or any other issues? How is the 16x9? The primary purpose will be photo editing and I have an eye one calibration puck, which seems to be a must have tool.

yea I'm seriously considering this

right now its this one, vs u2311 vs u2410, I would like a 16:10 screen, but I can settle for 1080 too :p

Back