NEC 20WMGX-BK vs 20WMGX2-BK

cscs

n00b
Anyone know the difference between the two models of NEC 20.1" LCD's?

There's the 20WMGX-BK and 20WMGX2-BK.

here. If you noticed towards the top it has it without the 2. although in the specs it lists it with the 2. perhaps it was just the site's error.

The NEC 20WMGX-BK is the European/UK version of the 20.1 inch AS-ISPS widescreen. It doesn't have HDCP compliance (don't think they use it there) and it doesn't have a TV tuner since UK TV is paid for by taxes on televisions (which the NEC monitor would be considered if it had a tuner. Its not cheap either, I think a tv set needs a license thats around $200 in USD - and that's each TV and each year I think. Lately though I been thinking it might be better than watching the same stupid commercials over and over). There are some other differences as well but its the same Philips panel

The 20WMGX came out before the 20WMGX2-BK North American version so a lot of early reviews online mention the 20WMGX so it gets confusing.

The BK of course just means the black version of the display (verses the silver/white or whatever it is)

The NEC 20WMGX-BK is the European/UK version of the 20.1 inch AS-ISPS widescreen. It doesn't have HDCP compliance (don't think they use it there) and it doesn't have a TV tuner since UK TV is paid for by taxes on televisions (which the NEC monitor would be considered if it had a tuner). There are some other differences as well but its the same Philips panel

The 20WMGX came out before the 20WMGX2-BK North American version so a lot of early reviews online mention the 20WMGX so its gets confusing.

The BK of course just means the black version of the display (verses the silver/white or whatever it is)

The european part number is actually 20WGX2. It is missing the M not the 2.

Thanks , my bad for answering that too quick. That sort of question was usually about that. Truth is I just like to jump on chances to rant about the commercials on TV. I can't even watch sports anymore. I don't know if anyone here watchs the NFL but they play some car commercial with a pounding robot every few minutes. I just want to get rid of ads at this point.

Ugh, here the site goes again, listing two models, although it may just be in model name, I find it oddenough to request help on here:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=22559

- NEC 20" HDTV-Ready LCD/TV Monitor (20WMGX2)
- NEC 20" WIDE LCD/TV Monitor (20WMGX-BK)

They're exactly the same thing, just one is black rather than silver? But why only list the first one as HDTV-Ready? If you click on the second one, it actually shows the model number as having the 2 as well. So they're both HDTV-ready, no?

Ugh, here the site goes again, listing two models, although it may just be in model name, I find it oddenough to request help on here:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=22559

- NEC 20" HDTV-Ready LCD/TV Monitor (20WMGX2)
- NEC 20" WIDE LCD/TV Monitor (20WMGX-BK)

They're exactly the same thing, just one is black rather than silver? But why only list the first one as HDTV-Ready? If you click on the second one, it actually shows the model number as having the 2 as well. So they're both HDTV-ready, no?

they are the same just different color, i have both as dual monitor setup.

20WMGX2 is sliver, and 20WMGX2-BK is the black version (it's typo. missing 2 on BB site), silver is online only and black is also in store. don't pay full price, they usually on sale for $550, and if you use gift card which can be bought at discounted price, save extra $55~110 :) hope this helps!

thanks wlee, but $550 in canada? i'm in canada. the lowest i've found them for is $605 cad from directcanada.

thanks wlee, but $550 in canada? i'm in canada. the lowest i've found them for is $605 cad from directcanada.

BB had it on sale for $550 like three weeks ago, so you may want to wait until it's on sale again. I bought a open box last time as my local BB ran out of stock, it costs 10% less and merely used by previous buyer, very well re-packaged by BB just like brand new one, you get the same return & warranty policy, no worries.

yes, i remember them being on sale for $599, and there was a $50 coupon as well online? i just wasn't ready to buy at the time. i guess i'll wait it out, thanks :)

if you don't mind me asking...

what do you think of the lcd? do you use it for gaming? design? i'm looking to use it strictly for gaming (ps3 and other consoles). is the glossy screen distracting? does the 1:1 pixel mapping work in all modes?

thanks kindly

yes, i remember them being on sale for $599, and there was a $50 coupon as well online? i just wasn't ready to buy at the time. i guess i'll wait it out, thanks :)

if you don't mind me asking...

what do you think of the lcd? do you use it for gaming? design? i'm looking to use it strictly for gaming (ps3 and other consoles). is the glossy screen distracting? does the 1:1 pixel mapping work in all modes?

thanks kindly

feel free to ask any question, that's the purpose of this forum. :)

i mostly use them for web surfing, amateur photo editing, and maybe some light gaming and TV hookup in near future, what a "waste" :D

i personally don't find glossy screen distracting probably because i don't keep my room bright, it's a beautiful LCD and yes i'm very satisfied so far :)

thanks for the feedback wlee. i'm teetering between the NEC and dell's 2007wfp. $600 vs $329. hmm... anybody care to weigh in with their opinion? spare me the decision. :)

Does the relatively slow response time (compared with most TN panels) of the NEC monitor show itself much in fast-paced shooters? I want this display, for gaming only, but the response time is putting me off...:confused:

Does the relatively slow response time (compared with most TN panels) of the NEC monitor show itself much in fast-paced shooters? I want this display, for gaming only, but the response time is putting me off...:confused:

Relatively slow?? It is 6 ms. That is all of 4ms slower then the fastest TN panel out there. Not to mention if you check out the reviews for it performs as well as most 2ms panels Not sure if that means the NEC was under speced or if the 2ms panels were over speced but either way i have not seen anyone having any issues with teh response time.

Relatively slow?? It is 6 ms. That is all of 4ms slower then the fastest TN panel out there. Not to mention if you check out the reviews for it performs as well as most 2ms panels Not sure if that means the NEC was under speced or if the 2ms panels were over speced but either way i have not seen anyone having any issues with teh response time.

Thank you! So it has, i though it had an 8ms response time, even so, that's not exactly slow anyway. I just don't know whether i'd be better off getting a Samsung 206BW or something and saving a lot of cash, because i might not be getting my money's-worth if i'm just using the NEC for gaming.

That silver on black looks retarded.

in photo's it doesnt look that great but when your right infront of it, it looks alot better then just a all silver look, the black/silver adds to it and gives it more a bling look to it, specially when the screen is off and you see the dark black screen :cool:

in photo's it doesnt look that great but when your right infront of it, it looks alot better then just a all silver look, the black/silver adds to it and gives it more a bling look to it, specially when the screen is off and you see the dark black screen :cool:

That's true I would say. In a lot of photos I can see light bouncing off the bezel making it look bigger and shiner than it really is. Before owning one I liked the 2007wfp look. In person it started to remind me of a garden hose stand and the monitor seemed blocky (I still always liked the adjustability of stand though). Conversely, the NEC looked bad to me online but once I had it I found it looked and felt quite shizzley. The stand is also much more solid than it looks. I had to be careful with the Dell because the bugger wanted to dance and tip all over the place. The NEC can hardly be kncoked over if you try. I mean you really need to whack it.

I am also trying to decide between the NEC and the Dell 2007wfp. I recently had some problems with a Vista generic PnP driver and my old Dell 1702FP, so I was wondering if either of these monitors work well with Vista or if I really should wait awhile.

Thanks

The NEC doesn't even come with a driver so I don't see how it would have a problem with Vista.

I am also trying to decide between the NEC and the Dell 2007wfp. I recently had some problems with a Vista generic PnP driver and my old Dell 1702FP, so I was wondering if either of these monitors work well with Vista or if I really should wait awhile.

Thanks

I can confirm NEC works fine with Vista including USB hub :)

For me the choice between the Dell and the NEC came down to whether I wanted to put up with the annoyance of the appearance of the anti-glare coating on the Dell. I chose the NEC but if the coating hadn't bothered me would have definitely chosen the Dell. Image quality on the two is very similar.

NEC - glossy coating, some images look better, more intuitive OSD, speakers if you want/need them, TV tuner if you want one but broadcast TV doesn't look great.

Dell - anti-glare coating, some images look better others look flat, more readable text, pivoting screen.

both have HDCP, PIP, etc.

NEC is very bright, like a lot of recent monitors. I have brightness at 15%.

Yes, the NEC does 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect ratio scaling.

What follows is my extraction from the user manual at necdisplay.com

For PCI input this is the "Expansion" option in the OSD, only available in DVI-HD for use with DVD or other forms of HD input. Options are full (takes up full screen), Aspect (image is expanded while preserving aspect ration) or Off (image is not expanded - presumably 1:1).

For Video1 Video2 or TV input you have the choice of Normal (maintains aspect ratio), Wide (expanded to max horizontal width), Real (1:1), Zoom (keeps aspect ratio, expands to max of either horizontal or vertical. Picture may be cropped) or Custom (user can adjust horiz and vert expansion).

Yes, the NEC does 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect ratio scaling.

What follows is my extraction from the user manual at necdisplay.com

For PCI input this is the "Expansion" option in the OSD, only available in DVI-HD for use with DVD or other forms of HD input. Options are full (takes up full screen), Aspect (image is expanded while preserving aspect ration) or Off (image is not expanded - presumably 1:1).

For Video1 Video2 or TV input you have the choice of Normal (maintains aspect ratio), Wide (expanded to max horizontal width), Real (1:1), Zoom (keeps aspect ratio, expands to max of either horizontal or vertical. Picture may be cropped) or Custom (user can adjust horiz and vert expansion).

Thank you. I've just been reading up a lot on this monitor, and i'm thinking of getting it instead of the, much cheaper, Samsung 226BW; it's disappointing that it isn't height adjustable and lacks inputs, though.

Yes, NEC should redesign the stand to support height adjustment and pivoting. There are lots of inputs though - are you asking for HDMI or multiple DVI-D, perhaps?

Yes, NEC should redesign the stand to support height adjustment and pivoting. There are lots of inputs though - are you asking for HDMI or multiple DVI-D, perhaps?

The European version (I live in the UK) doesn't have HDMI; in fact, it doesn't have speakers either or the TV tuner and it costs the equivilent of 700 USD! This is why i'm considering getting the Samsung 206BW or 226BW as a cheaper alternative, because i might not notice the advantages of the NEC (i.e. wider viewing angles, less backlight bleed etc.) when gaming, since this is the only thing i'll be using it for.

I love the NEC but if your just using monitor JUST for gaming I think its probably overkill. One good thing about gaming is that a cheaper monitor can do just as well or better than a more expensive one. For myself the NEC advantage was for photos and watching dvd's. If you have a half decent camera (even a point and shoot a couple years old) the detail and clarity can be startling on NEC.

I liked the rotation on my Dell stand but if you have a lot hooked up to it rotation is very hard anyway. I have 2 computers and a USB hooked up to NEC and I couldn't rotate it even if it could. There are always mounts if people really need the articulations.

I love the NEC but if your just using monitor JUST for gaming I think its probably overkill. One good thing about gaming is that a cheaper monitor can do just as well or better than a more expensive one. For myself the NEC advantage was for photos and watching dvd's. If you have a half decent camera (even a point and shoot a couple years old) the detail and clarity can be startling on NEC.

I liked the rotation on my Dell stand but if you have a lot hooked up to it rotation is very hard anyway. I have 2 computers and a USB hooked up to NEC and I couldn't rotate it even if it could. There are always mounts if people really need the articulations.

The NEC looks to pretty, though! Since the monitor is going to be used for years, it makes sense to spend a lot on it if it's going to be a lot better than some of the cheaper monitors. Have you tried the NEC for gaming? How would you compare it to the Dell (in games)?

The manual for the 20WGX2 (as opposed to the 20WMGX2 sold in the US) reads differently regarding control of pixel mapping and aspect ratio. I originally supposed Mansize_tissue to be interested in the 20WMGX2.

From the 20WGX2 manual:

EXPANSION: Selects the zoom mode.
FULL: The image is expanded to 1680 x 1050, regardless of the resolution.
ASPECT: The image is expanded without changing the aspect ratio.
OFF: The image is not expanded.
NOTE: EXPANSION is available only resolution under 1280 x 1024.

Note the limitation to resolutions under 1280x1024. Presumably Full and Aspect aren't available for higher resolutions - I'm not sure what this implies about 1:1.

The manual for the 20WGX2 (as opposed to the 20WMGX2 sold in the US) reads differently regarding control of pixel mapping and aspect ratio. I originally supposed Mansize_tissue to be interested in the 20WMGX2.

From the 20WGX2 manual:

EXPANSION: Selects the zoom mode.
FULL: The image is expanded to 1680 x 1050, regardless of the resolution.
ASPECT: The image is expanded without changing the aspect ratio.
OFF: The image is not expanded.
NOTE: EXPANSION is available only resolution under 1280 x 1024.

Note the limitation to resolutions under 1280x1024. Presumably Full and Aspect aren't available for higher resolutions - I'm not sure what this implies about 1:1.

Thank you and, yes, the 20WGX2 is the model i'm interested in. I wonder if the "OFF" mode retains the 1:1 pixel mapping, so, seeing as "the image is not expanded" it should just display the pixels which are there and leave a black border around the edge. Nevertheless, i'm more interested in the aspect function because i don't really want to play games that only take up a portion of the screen anyway.

Do you have this monitor, by any chance?

Back