NCASE M1 Softshell Carry Bag for community

I was looking in the website because I'm excited and will be ordering one as soon as the preorders come out, hopefully I will be able to get [H]ard and NCASE sewn into it. I found it funny how the pictures of the hadron air have the M1 logo, you have started a revolution in cases for SFF systems

I have some updated information to pass along:

The Longer bag is available to order on Etsy now. Links are below (also updated the first post of this thread). Be careful to select the correct product when ordering. The photos are still the same for all the bag listings, but be aware that a bag sized for a Hadron computer has also made its way onto the list of products. Not too surprising that a few other SFF folks would be looking for solutions to porting their rigs. :)
Deluxe carry bag for M1 with reservoir
Basic carry bag for M1 with reservoir

I'm the one that requested the Hadron Air deluxe bag. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to get bags for our rigs. I can't wait to take delivery!

Has anyone already received their bag?

Dunno? I haven't gotten mine yet, but when I ordered a couple weeks ago, I think she said there was 13 orders ahead of me and that she would let me know when she starts on it.

Sumludus should have gotten his by now, as he said he had already received a shipping notice on page 11 of this thread.

Dunno? I haven't gotten mine yet, but when I ordered a couple weeks ago, I think she said there was 13 orders ahead of me and that she would let me know when she starts on it.

Sumludus should have gotten his by now, as he said he had already received a shipping notice on page 11 of this thread.

April 8th placed order.
April 12th confirmed second in line.
April 25th all items in except custom red lining. Bag to be started April 28th.
May 7th red lining in, looks great, ready to really crank on some bags, bag to be started May 8th.
May 8th confirmed all custom options.

Tonight I asked for an update. I will let you know.

...hopefully I will be able to get [H]ard and NCASE sewn into it.

I don't think we ever pursued a [H]ard label, just talked about it. I suppose I could look into it. I assume the first thing we need is permission from Kyle.

I'm the one that requested the Hadron Air deluxe bag. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to get bags for our rigs.
I'm really glad to see folks jumping on the bag bandwagon. :) Honestly, from my own searches, it really seems like there is a dearth of carry solutions for SFF and lanparties, etc.

Yeah, I have to assume Sumludus has his/her bag. Is probably too busy with the end of school to post though.

End of May / early June was the estimate for my own bag, but I think I'm further down the queue. I'm going to assume mid-June for my bag, since things always take longer than expected and she is only one person, in high-demand. I am equally eager for you all to start receiving your bags.

PS. Way off topic, but still loving my wee NCASE build. Diablo III, which I just picked up, is beautiful on it.

Sounds like Liz has the beginnings of the first four bags cut out now and is planning to continue on Monday.

I'm going to assume mid-June for my bag, since things always take longer than expected and she is only one person, in high-demand. I am equally eager for you all to start receiving your bags.

I'm excited to get mine, but really don't need it anytime soon. Not sure I really need one at all, but I'll carry my M1 someplace just for the heck of it :p

...Not sure I really need one at all, but I'll carry my M1 someplace just for the heck of it :p

LOL. :)

So Kyle gave permission for us to get ourselves a [H]ard label for our bags as long as we aren't planning to sell it. He says it's just arial font, so that's simple enough. Not sure what shade that red is though.

So, here's the thing - any label or patch typically needs to be ordered in a minimum batch of 50. So far, I think there are only about 25? of us who ordered a bag, and probably much fewer who want a [H] label. So, it becomes a bit more expensive per label. The options I see are woven label or embroidered patch

Woven label - We would want to give these to Liz to sew on the bag. It's probably too late for most bags already ordered, though it would be pretty easy for anyone to hand-stitch a label onto a pocket flap.

Phuncz posted these patch makers - Some of the patches are iron on, or could be stitched on, or I think Phucz had the idea of velcro-ing the patch on.

So there you have it. A beginning discussion of the feasibility of [H] patch.

I'm excited to get mine, but really don't need it anytime soon. Not sure I really need one at all, but I'll carry my M1 someplace just for the heck of it :p

It's all in preparation for the zombie apocalypse.

For those who have a bag already, or will soon be joining that elusive group - first impressions and general observations after some use would be wonderful :) Particularly for those of us considering possible customizations.

Phuncz posted these patch makers - Some of the patches are iron on, or could be stitched on, or I think Phucz had the idea of velcro-ing the patch on.

So there you have it. A beginning discussion of the feasibility of [H] patch.
Should we start a thread to come up with a [H] design and order page? We have to order a minimum of 100 on patchesrus.

I picture a square patch with [H] red color with Arial "[H]" text in the center.

100 square 2" 100% Embroidery with Velcro backing is estimated at $196.25.

I thought most sewing machines had the capability to do that? I remembered at school in our compulsory textiles lessons we had ones that did it, anyway if I did get a patch it would probably cost more to ship it all the way here than it would be worth but still not that much I guess :\

EDIT: just in case anyone counting I'd get 2 if they were available. :)

Should we start a thread to come up with a [H] design and order page?

Just an idea.. what about an [H] luggage tag? Black PVC portrait rectangle with red [H] on one side, and a clear window on the reverse side to insert a card with your name and address.

Would make for a good keychain as well ;)

I heard from Liz, who replies that she would be happy to stitch up a sample [H], using her machine's embroidery function. This seems possible since the [H] is standard Arial font. However, her priority is fulfilling the existing orders, so she wouldn't take time for that until June.

I also like AFD's luggage tag idea.

In any case, we need to make sure that Liz isn't seen to be "selling" [H] stuff. Permission was that we could certainly have her make these for us, so long as we aren't selling the stuff. My interpretation is that a special request is fine, but this can't and won't be added to the etsy site. Kyle also says he would enjoy seeing the end product if we do succeed in getting something made up.

So we have several options under discussion here. I leave it up to you all as to which way to go with it. My impression is that there are only a few folks interested, certainly not enough for a minimum 50-100 order?

I heard from Liz, who replies that she would be happy to stitch up a sample [H], using her machine's embroidery function. This seems possible since the [H] is standard Arial font...

...In any case, we need to make sure that Liz isn't seen to be "selling" [H] stuff. Permission was that we could certainly have her make these for us, so long as we aren't selling the stuff...

So we have several options under discussion here. I leave it up to you all as to which way to go with it.

I think you've nailed down the best path forward in the same breath:

My interpretation is that a special request is fine, but this can't and won't be added to the etsy site. Kyle also says he would enjoy seeing the end product if we do succeed in getting something made up.

...So just have the option of adding it to a bag as one of the many possible customizations on offer. That way Liz isn's selling the [H] itself, so much as the service to incorporate it upon request.

Better yet, after you have Liz send that sample (which can be posted here so we know what it looks like), you can pass it along to Kyle. Everybody wins ;)

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you guys, and even now I'm doing so without any pictures to share. Looking back, it seems like you guys want details to see if it's worth getting. So I'm going to fill this post with every flaw I've found with the bag. I'm hoping that no one will have any issues with the bag that aren't archived here. I have the deluxe bag, so I have every bell and whistle to scope out.

Starting at the bottom, the rubber feet haven't been coated with any protective agent. I left the bag fully loaded on a countertop, and when I went to pull it off there were black trails of rubber residue left behind. They certainly do the job of making sure the bag stays steady, but I'm concerned for their longevity (and my countertops).

The shoulder strap is pretty painful. It's a good length and very durable, but the part that makes contact with your shoulder is a composite material with no padding or cushioning of any kind. If you have a spare one laying around, use it instead and skip on the one provided.

When I first got it, I was a little underwhelmed by the pockets surrounding the bag. After loading them up, I'm very pleased with the pockets on the ends, but the pocket on the side doesn't seem deep enough. Also, the clasps on the opposing side seem to be anchored a little too close together to secure large items safely. I have a 21.5 inch monitor that I was able to get strapped in. It certainly wasn't going anywhere, but it seemed like it could have been managed better.

I have dust filters for bottom intake fans, and didn't clean them before packing my M1 away. I'm paying the price for that now, as the dust and lint what was attached to them and the bottom of the feet are now on the inside of the bag, and they're not coming out easily at all. Whatever material is lining the interior, it's a dust magnet.

The webbing on the top that's used for keyboards in the pictures (I have a Poker 2, fits great in the side pocket, highly recommend) only has 3 anchor points on each side, and the drawstring doesn't have any knots or way to hold the plastic stopper from flying off the rope. I think I mixed 3 different types of terminology in that sentence trying to describe the problem. If you can translate what I mean, kudos.

Those are all the gripes I've had with the bag. On the plus side, it's thick and rugged and I feel like my computer is incredibly safe and secure when inside it. And I just bought an R9 280, so I have a lot to worry about when it comes to transporting this rig, which is something I've done at least twice a week throughout most of May. The weight is fairly balanced, and it carries everything I need it to. One of the end cargo pockets carries my mouse (Logitech G400), headphones (Superlux HD688b), and Kindle Paperwhite without any cramming. The other holds a gamepad and all the cables with a bunch of room to spare. The side pocket has the Poker. Really recommend it or any other 10keyless board you can get that'll fit in there, feels a lot more safe than using the webbing on top.

If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely get it, though passing on the rubber feet and supplying my own shoulder strap. If you guys have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them, though I don't know if I can get access to a camera to supply photographic references. I have an LG Envoy, and I doubt you want to strain your eyes trying to look at any pics it takes.

If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely get it, though passing on the rubber feet and supplying my own shoulder strap.

Thanks for the review!

Kinda sets my mind at ease, since your only issues are all with features that I requested to be deleted from my bag (feet, shoulder strap, top rope thingy).

I'm sure I can live with dust from my bottom filters getting stuck inside the bag (if I forget to clean them).. sure beats the reverse scenario of having the lining's fibers getting stuck inside the filters ;)

EDIT: Also, about the plastic part of the shoulder strap.. a good padded strap can run upwards of $30, which probably would've put the deluxe bag well over the price range many of us were looking for.

These 2 are supposed to be some of the best.. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1025457-field-test-report-red-oxx-claw-vs-tom-bihn-absolute-strap.html

Last edited:

I was looking at the Absolute Shoulder Strap, and one of the More Cool Stuff ads was for the Simple Shoulder Strap. It has the same kind of shoulder pad as the one that comes with the M1 Bag. The website describes it as "a less heavy-duty strap for those who carry lighter loads". I don't know if it'll be comfortable for people carrying just their rig, but for people who like using the pockets to their fullest extent and have a lot going on in their M1, it doesn't quite cut the mustard.

One thing I didn't mention because it preformed well was the handles. There's some padding between the straps and your hands, and it's made with a large gap so the straps are more spread out in your palm rather than overlapping one another. It really helps distribute the weight and makes carrying it that way much more comfortable than you'd think it would be. Which is good, because now it looks like I'll need to wait a few business days before my Absolute Strap comes in the mail :)

Hmm, considering both the shoulder strap and feet are disappointing, is the Deluxe even worth considering over the Basic? Looks like you need to get the Deluxe to be able to attach your own shoulder strap anyways.

is the Deluxe even worth considering over the Basic?

Honestly, probably not. The extra attention paid to the outside pockets is really appreciated (flaps, straps, buckles), but you can order those on top of the basic bag and save yourself a little bit of money. Just make sure to request the anchors so you can use your own shoulder strap.

...Looking at the Etsy page now, am I correct in interpreting that currently you can only order bags that are sized for those using the FrozenQ reservoir?

I'm totally ready to order a bag for the M1 I just pre-ordered, but currently I can't figure out how to do that :(

(Edit: Are the purchase pages for the regular bags down so that Liz can handle/control demand? Just occurred to me that such could be the case.)

Last edited:
(Edit: Are the purchase pages for the regular bags down so that Liz can handle/control demand? Just occurred to me that such could be the case.)

It's possible, given the large influx of orders due to folks like yourself having just ordered the new M1 v2 today.

If that's the case, I'd highly recommend she just add a notation of "high demand, expect a wait" and just rack 'em stack 'em. It'll probably be a few months before you guys start getting your M1s anyway, and I'd hate to see her lose any orders cause customers have to wait to place an order and forget about it.

Or, if orders become too much to fulfill, her and Char could always talk to W360 about his offer to outsource the design to a larger manufacturer.

It's possible, given the large influx of orders due to folks like yourself having just ordered the new M1 v2 today.

Yeah... Should have foreseen that, if that's the case :rolleyes:

I'd highly recommend she just add a notation of "high demand, expect a wait" and just rack 'em stack 'em. It'll probably be a few months before you guys start getting your M1s anyway, and I'd hate to see her lose any orders cause customers have to wait to place an order and forget about it.

I'd agree, though for long waits on products it's always advisable to make that very clear, many times over... A perceived massive delay is always very jarring. And anyone who already has an M1 would be waiting a long time indeed :eek:

Still, you're right: For those of us that just pre-ordered Rev 2, it will be ~3 months before we get the case, assuming things move along smoothly. And on my part, I won't even be building anything with my case until months after that, so there's hardly a rush. I suppose I just want to order now for the sake of being able to forget about it, as well as to ensure I have it once I do have something to carry with it.

So I'm going to fill this post with every flaw I've found with the bag.
...Whatever material is lining the interior, it's a dust magnet.
...The webbing on the top that's used for keyboards in the pictures only has 3 anchor points on each side.
...On the plus side, it's thick and rugged and I feel like my computer is incredibly safe and secure when inside it.
...If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely get it, though passing on the rubber feet and supplying my own shoulder strap.
...One thing I didn't mention because it preformed well was the handles.

Firstly, thanks so much for posting your review. I'm really glad to hear that the most important feature (padding and protection) is satisfactory and that overall it is a positive purchase.

I will certainly pass on the identified issues to Liz for consideration in future versions. I'm not sure how much some of them can be improved.
  • Shoulder Strap: We concentrated more on the quality of the webbing and connecting hardware (which sounds satisfactory). I admit I didn't focus much on the padding part of the shoulder strap. I liked the no-slip grippy option that was chosen, but I admit I don't have far to carry my bag. Also, as AFD guessed, cost is a factor. I'm sure Liz will be open to selling the bags with just the connecting hardware so that folks can buy their own shoulder straps.
  • Lining Fabric: This does show lint, especially in black. In a different color, this would be less noticeable. A non-cotton lining might hold less lint/dust, but has other pros and cons.
  • Top Cinch Elastic: The reduction in anchor points was entirely my call. More just didn't seem necessary and I thought it would make loading too slow/difficult. This seems like something relatively easy to adjust in future bags.
  • Long-side Pocket. Much thought and debate went into the pocket design. In the end, we opted not to enlarge the long side pocket much more so that, when full, it wouldn't unbalance the bag or adversely affect the appearance. SO glad you are happy with the narrow-side cargo pockets. We put a ton of effort into getting those just right.

If that's the case, I'd highly recommend she just add a notation of "high demand, expect a wait" and just rack 'em stack 'em. ...
Or, if orders become too much to fulfill, her and Char could always talk to W360 about his offer to outsource the design to a larger manufacturer.

I noticed that Liz did increase the shipping time 4-6 weeks, while making more units available. Which is exactly as expected.

To the best of my knowledge (which is scanty), W360 is still planning to outsource to a larger manufacturer, but last I heard he was interested to make a roller bag.

I noticed that Liz did increase the shipping time 4-6 weeks...

The first batch is into it now 7 weeks and it will be 8 when it arrives. Now that patterns and details are worked out, maybe the 4-6 week estimate will be more accurate.

To the best of my knowledge (which is scanty), W360 is still planning to outsource to a larger manufacturer, but last I heard he was interested to make a roller bag.

He better be planning on some really good shocks and/or several inches of foam padding. By then your talking about a big box that's heavy and expensive. Beyond this bag, I would just go with a Pelican case. Maybe one of the 1560 series (1560M). Even then I would still be concerned about shock.

That is why this bag is such a good solution.

This bag looks really really good, i have an M1 Case and wondered about a bag, and read through the early posts but havent been here for a while, and i see it's developed into a really professional looking item, congratulations.

I have no desperate need of a bag personally, however, i might well grab one because if i dont i feel i will regret the decision.

Couple of questions if i may, and those that have the bags already may have the answers,....

The feet, would it benefit from 2 additional feet in the mid area of the base ?

The Reservoir option is i assume related to the FrozenQ one, does it just make the bag a little longer inside ? and does the front pocket remain the same size ? - if i went for that bag and didnt fit the Res, could i simply add some foam to the inside to take up the difference, or do you make a piece to add in, say held in by velcro ?

Last edited:
The Reservoir option is i assume related to the FrozenQ one, does it just make the bag a little longer inside ? and does the front pocket remain the same size ? - if i went for that bag and didnt fit the Res, could i simply add some foam to the inside to take up the difference, or do you make a piece to add in, say held in by velcro ?

Yes, the Reservoir option is intended for the FrozenQ res (or possibly others, if similar in depth). Not really sure if the front long pocket was also made longer for this version.. I would assume so.

And yes, if you bought that version, but perhaps didn't have a res installed yet, I'm sure you could stuff a piece of foam or some rags, or something similar, to make up the difference if needed. I bought the Reservoir version of the bag so I could easily fit my dual external antennas (or if I ever wanted to convert my M1 to watercooling with an external res).

smart thinking, there are a couple of boards now that have external antennas added directly to the back, didn't think about that, because i've been considering Asus or ASRock boards

Should the expected shipping date on Etsy be ignored? Mine was suppose to ship on 5/28 but is still listed as Not Shipped.

I received my bag today and just unpacked it. It looks great and Liz has done a quality job. The NCASE fits well with the reservoir, and the pockets are a good size and have good depth. The bigger zipper is a great option and the custom red Diversitex poly-cotton twill interior I hand picked is especially nice. The bag is quite light despite its size. The size is somewhat large, however I see no way to reduce its size without reducing the padding. The computer fits snug all around. I can get my fingers in on the ends of the case, but not my full hands. The bag is really designed to have you pick the case up from its sides not its ends. I have tried both and it is functional either way, however it is a little easier to pick up the case using the sides as designed. I am just used to picking it up from the front and back instead.

I got the deluxe model with should strap, elastic webbing, end pockets with zippers, front pocket with zipper, back flat pocket without zipper, heavy-duty lid zipper, and red interior. I chose the flat back pocket so that I wasn't kicking the bag around as I walked. I can put papers or other flat things in it there. The red interior is absolutely a great modification.

Here is my feedback (mostly nits) on the bag now that I have one to hold:
1) Although the rain guard flaps add a degree of protection from rain and add to the appearance of the bag, they make it a little difficult to use the zippers. This isn't a big deal. The work Liz put into the zippers is great, and they look great with or without the guards.
2) The lid zippers could go just a tad farther around to the back. Maybe a half inch or so. Although I don't seem to get any real binding on the zipper when I open the lid, this might be a small improvement.
3) The shoulder strap hook loops that are sown into the bag just below the lid zipper get in the way of the zipper. This only seems to be a problem if you remove the should strap. With the strap present, the weight of the clips pulls the loops out of the way. Since I don't plan to use the should strap too often, I think it will end up in one of the pockets until needed. I may just have to get used to moving the loops out of the way when I open the lid, or 'train' the loops to stay out of the way.
4) On my specific bag, two of the feet are firmly mounted and two are not. I'm not sure how they are secured internally, but I am concerned that the two that are loose may fall off at some point in the future. I will keep an eye on these as I use the bag.

Overall it is a well made bag made from quality materials with a wide variety of options. I don't know of anything better out there, especially for the NCASE.

Wow, that looks really nice.. thanks for taking the time to post up some pics for us!

Back