NCASE M1 screw head problems.

b_oneil

n00b
So I'm having trouble finding the right screws to use for my NCASE M1 radiator. The problem is I can't find radiator screws that have a purely flat head with no countersunk bottom. I need it flat so that the magnetic filter that comes with the case sits flush against the radiator fans (if the screw heads are rounded then not all the air goes through the filter). And I don't want countersunk flat head screws because that metal bracket that the radiator is attached to wasn't made for countersunk screws and the radiator won't be completely secured. The display case on the website has the right screw heads that I need. And they didn't come with the case. Here's a pic.

M1-v2-09-3000x1500.jpg

So basically I'm looking for #6-32 1-1/4 inch screws with a flat head and flat base. And I'm flustered because I can't find what I'm looking for. Please help me out guys.

umm that's a rendering of the case and irl it is not exactly like that. if you look at all the builds on the first page they all have round top screws which is what it comes with. i think youre going to have to try and find something on your own. or may be do this:

wac7yAW.jpg

Actually I think you'll find that the countersunk screw is better.

A totally flat head screw is usually quite thick to account for the need for the screw edge to be strong enough under tension.
50Pcs-M3-x-10mm-Hex-Socket-Head-Screw-Black-Allen-Hexagon-Repair-Screw-Metal-Fasteners-Bolts.jpg_220x220.jpg

That's why most flat bottomed screws are usually domed. They need to be this way for strength.

So the countersunk screw actually will sit lower than a flat alternative. With a bit of pressure, the countersunk screw will also bend the mounting plat a little, making it sit even lower. Finally, the magnetic filter doesn't sit flush with the radiator panel anyway - the magnets that attach it give the filter a minute clearance. All you need is for teh filter to be blocking the case panel, not sitting flush to the radiator panel.

But if you insist (Sometimes only perfection will do!! :)) then you could source some hex drive screws from a RC hobby supply and grind down the head with a file. Most of these screws will be in aluminum so it will be quick and easy.

Back