• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ncase M1 Build -- need some advice

jferreir

n00b
Joined
Oct 18, 2016
Messages
24
This is a somewhat odd build, so I need very specific parts recommendations. The build is centred on the ncase M1, with the highest priority being silent operation. I need help narrowing the field of GPUs based on this consideration, but more on that shortly.

Tentative part list so far:
  1. Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  2. Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  3. G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  4. Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  5. Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
This build is for my father, so the CPU, RAM and SSD are probably (definitely) overkill. I'm hoping to get him a 4k monitor, but haven't looked into it carefully just yet. I would like a GPU in the upper end, but operating noise should be silent when system is idle, and barely audible under load. He will probably download a few games through Steam, so I'd like him to be able to play them all on ultra at full resolution. He likes fishing games, so I don't imagine the system requirements will be very taxing, lol.

I opted for the SF450 because of the lower fan noise under load compared to the SF600, and I opted for the m.2 drive to eliminate SATA cabling and allow for a slim ODD. Any recommendations for the ODD? Again, low noise/vibration is the priority.

So, I need to determine an appropriate GPU, and then depending on that choice, a CPU cooler and fans. Silent operation is the main priority, and I don't expect the system will be under load for extended periods, so I'm not overly concerned about temperature. Are there any obvious choices for the GPU, and if so, would the CPU be an appropriate match (or complete overkill)? How can I achieve the most silent operation based on that CPU/GPU combination?

This is only my second build, so I'm trying to be meticulous in the planning stages (please be gentle). I will likely put this together in about 2 month's time. Any suggestions or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
Back
Top