NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

In most tests the U9S beats the D9L (It has an extra heatpipe) Orientation frankly I doubt makes a huge deal. Horizontal I believe is better for RAM compatibility.

The 1070 turbo is loud. Consider an aftermarket unit or a founders edition, I wouldn't really bother with any other blower styles that I've seen IMO.

If you CAN, the Noctua NH-C14 is still the preferred air cooler for this build. But the U9S should do the job well enough

Maybe I am wrong but to me this just seems like it would make more sense. You get fresh air intake at the right which feeds right into the heatsink and exhausts out the back. If you mount it vertically it doesn't seems like it would get as good an air supply. I would love to see someone mount one both ways and post comparison temps.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d9l_and_nh_u9s_cpu_cooler_review,1.html Good comparison here between the two.
Okay I just found a noctua c14 and I bought it. Just one question, which fans do you recommend do place on the side for fresh air? Maybe two Noctua NF-F12 120mm or what do you think?

Just got the beauty!! Did some photo shoot. When I was researching for the build I got to see a lot less photos, specially of the accessories. There was one V4 that was captured well. But Presenting the entire V5 in all its glory for everyone. Just visit the link. All high res photos. Do let me know if any new angle needs to be shot.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskPywiRo

Last edited:
Just got the beauty!! Did some photo shoot. When I was researching for the build I got to see a lot less photos, specially of the accessories. There was one V4 that was captured well. But Presenting the entire V5 in all its glory for everyone. Just visit the link. All high res photos. Do let me know if any new angle needs to be shot.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskPywiRo
Wow, really nice photo documentation of included pieces. I had no idea of all the parts nCase includes in order to support the widest possible build options. Thanks.

Anyone who has Ncase V5 and ROG impact, please help me out with the front button for turning on and off due to confusion with the cable from inside that has positive and negative cables, and I even read the manual but doesn't get it with those positive and negative things, need to plug them into the right pin on the motherboard. I hope you understand what I meant.

Last edited:
The radiator is not too thick so that should fit fine. The question will be if you can get the tubes from the GPU block around the graphic card PCB and still get the side panel on. The tubes are 400 mm long so that offers some routing options.

What graphics card were you planning to use this on?

OMG fit but veer very very noise!!! RMA
The radiator is not too thick so that should fit fine. The question will be if you can get the tubes from the GPU block around the graphic card PCB and still get the side panel on. The tubes are 400 mm long so that offers some routing options.

Fit but this AIO very very noise!!! I do not recommend to anyone!

RMA

The Noctua C14 HSF... RE/ The orientation of it on the Asus Pro Gaming MB... The pipes face the back of the case, correct?

Okay I just found a noctua c14 and I bought it. Just one question, which fans do you recommend do place on the side for fresh air? Maybe two Noctua NF-F12 120mm or what do you think?
Great find!

2 NF F12s on the side using the 120mm mounts or 1 120mm of your choice facing the PSU, and the other can be the 140/150mm Noctua fan with 120mm mounts. The C14 gives more room in the case as well IMO around the socket area. Don't bother with the bottom mounted fan at all. 2 intakes on the side, let the GPU fend for itself IMO. For me personally, my bottom mounted fans impeded my GPU under load, though helped in lower-demanding titles or where I restricted FPS/in idle.

I totally agree! I really wanted a more premium motherboard than the z170i pro gaming, but there aren't any other boards with m.2 and wifi support without jumping to x99. It's a shame really.
The ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac would like a word with you. M.2, WiFi (+ BT), USB 3.1 A and C. It's going in my build (still waiting on PSU and cooler), so I'll be able to give a better assessment in a week or two.

The Noctua C14 HSF... RE/ The orientation of it on the Asus Pro Gaming MB... The pipes face the back of the case, correct?

I have my NH-C14 on an Asus Maximus VII with the ends of the heatpipes towards the front of the case. I think the position of the CPU socket is nearly the same as the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming that you have and which I'm placing in my son's M1.

The ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac would like a word with you. M.2, WiFi (+ BT), USB 3.1 A and C. It's going in my build (still waiting on PSU and cooler), so I'll be able to give a better assessment in a week or two.

I think that motherboard has the CPU socket a bit higher than most which means it is one of the few that can fit the be quiet! Dark Rock TF cooler. By counting pixels, I get the ASRock CPU socket to be ~ 7 mm further from the PCI-E slot than the CPU socket on the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming. I think that means the Dark Rock TF could be oriented with the end of its heatpipes facing downwards (towards the PCI-E slot).

Last edited:

Maybe I am wrong but to me this just seems like it would make more sense. You get fresh air intake at the right which feeds right into the heatsink and exhausts out the back. If you mount it vertically it doesn't seems like it would get as good an air supply. I would love to see someone mount one both ways and post comparison temps.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d9l_and_nh_u9s_cpu_cooler_review,1.html Good comparison here between the two.

For those interested.... Personally when I started I went with the D9L instead of the U9S. That is despite some reviews stating the U9S is superior with a single fan.

In my mind, it's far easier to "Drive" the D9L with 2 fans because the fin depth is lower. The air-flow loses less energy than in the U9S. Additionally, it's easier to energise the flow again with the dual row arrangement than with a rear fan on the U9S that is severely restricted. If the entire heatsink was shrouded than the U9S may work better, but it is an open design after all.

My experience was that the D9L was fine. It worked great with a 4.5GHz overclock on an i5 6600K. However, I found several reviews that actually show better performance with the D9L than the U9S when overclocked and with dual fans. Ultimate performance is fairly similar though, so just get whichever is cheaper!

Some tests of the D9L with dual fans:
Overclockers club test showing D9L beating U9S
TechnologyX showing dual versus single fan improvement for D9L
PCPerformance showing dual fan D9L beating U9S with overclock

Reactions: Qrash
like this
I have a question, probably a silly one but still.

The two screw holes of the fan bracket (the ones on the right towards the front) are what appears to be two holes drilled next to each other. I was going to take a pic but I see Sagar Chakraborty made some nice pictures so I am borrowing one of his

album-72157677117567076

The previous iterations don't seem to have them so question is why are they there?

I have a question, probably a silly one but still.

The two screw holes of the fan bracket (the ones on the right towards the front) are what appears to be two holes drilled next to each other. I was going to take a pic but I see Sagar Chakraborty made some nice pictures so I am borrowing one of his

album-72157677117567076

The previous iterations don't seem to have them so question is why are they there?
I assume you're referring to the screw holes at the far right edge in this image of the bracket (only one of which is visible). You're right that it's two countersunk holes drilled a couple mm apart, such that they overlap, and these were not on earlier versions of the bracket.

Basically what happened was, for the second revision of the M1 (V2), we added threaded through-hole standoffs to the chassis where the fan bracket attaches, to prolong thread life. This was a change that I asked LL to make if they could, and while I did ask for drawings of the revision which I could approve (as I do), I was a bit negligent in not noticing that they had to move the screw holes slightly to make room for the standoffs. This continued to go unnoticed until we changed the fan bracket to steel with V4, and started selling those separately. The revised fan bracket worked fine for anyone with an older V2 or V3 case, but for those with a V1, the screw holes on the bracket didn't quite line up with those on the chassis. Hence the fix of overlapped holes on current versions of the bracket, which works with all versions of the case.

I assume you're referring to the screw holes at the far right edge in this image of the bracket (only one of which is visible). You're right that it's two countersunk holes drilled a couple mm apart, such that they overlap, and these were not on earlier versions of the bracket.

Basically what happened was, for the second revision of the M1 (V2), we added threaded through-hole standoffs to the chassis where the fan bracket attaches, to prolong thread life. This was a change that I asked LL to make if they could, and while I did ask for drawings of the revision which I could approve (as I do), I was a bit negligent in not noticing that they had to move the screw holes slightly to make room for the standoffs. This continued to go unnoticed until we changed the fan bracket to steel with V4, and started selling those separately. The revised fan bracket worked fine for anyone with an older V2 or V3 case, but for those with a V1, the screw holes on the bracket didn't quite line up with those on the chassis. Hence the fix of overlapped holes on current versions of the bracket, which works with all versions of the case.

I suspected a backward compatibility thing but couldn't quite figure it out and wanted to make sure they weren't some kind of different configuration holes. Thanks for clearing that up.

I think "I dun goofed". Clamored for a NH-C14 (had a friend in Canada order it from Memory Express because they will not return my emails about buying it direct) and obsessed over some fast TridentZ RAM. Am I correct that the 44mm RAM will not fit under the C14 on an ASrock Gaming ITX? The RAM slots seem a little out of the way, but perhaps not enough.

This build has some pics of a C14 that make it seem like there's enough room even if the fan were there, but I don't have a very good eye for that. I only found one reference to the Vengeance RAM in this build, which is 34mm, so my Zs are 10mm higher...

Does anyone have direct experience on this combination of parts? If they don't fit, what are some good options? This guy didn't even bother to put a bottom fan.. should I, when the only big difference from his build is that I have a 1070..? Thanks!

I think "I dun goofed". Clamored for a NH-C14 (had a friend in Canada order it from Memory Express because they will not return my emails about buying it direct) and obsessed over some fast TridentZ RAM. Am I correct that the 44mm RAM will not fit under the C14 on an ASrock Gaming ITX? The RAM slots seem a little out of the way, but perhaps not enough.

This build has some pics of a C14 that make it seem like there's enough room even if the fan were there, but I don't have a very good eye for that. I only found one reference to the Vengeance RAM in this build, which is 34mm, so my Zs are 10mm higher...

Does anyone have direct experience on this combination of parts? If they don't fit, what are some good options? This guy didn't even bother to put a bottom fan.. should I, when the only big difference from his build is that I have a 1070..? Thanks!

If you don't use the bottom fan (not recommended TBH anyway) and orient the pipes to the back of the case, you should have ample room for tall RAM.

The build you linked to is not using a fan on the underside of the NH-C14. In this setup the Noctua installation instructions state there is 65 mm of clearance. If you use a 25 mm fan on the underside the clearance is reduced to 38 mm. Obviously, a slim fan (15 mm) will provide room for taller RAM, but would that setup be much better than a single fan setup?

If you don't use the bottom fan (not recommended TBH anyway) and orient the pipes to the back of the case, you should have ample room for tall RAM.
Why is that not recommended? I've only been following all of this for about a month, but it's honestly the first time I've heard anything about not using a bottom fan with the C14

The build you linked to is not using a fan on the underside of the NH-C14. In this setup the Noctua installation instructions state there is 65 mm of clearance. If you use a 25 mm fan on the underside the clearance is reduced to 38 mm. Obviously, a slim fan (15 mm) will provide room for taller RAM, but would that setup be much better than a single fan setup?
I know, I mentioned that at the end of my post, which was my question. ReaperX22 claimed it wasn't recommended, but this was the first C14 build I've seen without a bottom fan. I don't know, would a slim fan be better? haha. These are all questions I've posed/implied; was hoping others with more experience might know for certain. :)

Why is that not recommended? I've only been following all of this for about a month, but it's honestly the first time I've heard anything about not using a bottom fan with the C14

I know, I mentioned that at the end of my post, which was my question. ReaperX22 claimed it wasn't recommended, but this was the first C14 build I've seen without a bottom fan. I don't know, would a slim fan be better? haha. These are all questions I've posed/implied; was hoping others with more experience might know for certain. :)

People don't use the bottom fan here in general. I guess the reasons are:

1. temps are great with 1 fan. My i5 6600K @ 4.5Ghz reaches 50°C.
2. Ram compatibility is reduced.
3. You are restricting the air flow through the case
4. Cable management and doing any changes within the case / changing fan headers etc. will become a big hassle with the bottom fan on.

Here some pics with only one fan above. There is a lot of space for reaching in and getting to the motherboard.

Edit: I reused the bottom fan btw as a case fan below the GPU.

I suspected a backward compatibility thing but couldn't quite figure it out and wanted to make sure they weren't some kind of different configuration holes. Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you building two cases now? :)

Someone earlier replied to me stating they use two bottom case fans and two sides..so someone is doing that.

There has long been a debate about whether using fans on the bottom of the case actually does any good. Some people say it does help with temps some say it doesn't. I would say if it does help its not by much. So it comes down to personal preference based on your setup. Try it and see if it makes a difference for you. And of course if does or does not post your results to this thread. This is how we learn what does and does not work. Often the user is the guinea pig when building inside the M1.

For those interested.... Personally when I started I went with the D9L instead of the U9S. That is despite some reviews stating the U9S is superior with a single fan.

In my mind, it's far easier to "Drive" the D9L with 2 fans because the fin depth is lower. The air-flow loses less energy than in the U9S. Additionally, it's easier to energise the flow again with the dual row arrangement than with a rear fan on the U9S that is severely restricted. If the entire heatsink was shrouded than the U9S may work better, but it is an open design after all.

My experience was that the D9L was fine. It worked great with a 4.5GHz overclock on an i5 6600K. However, I found several reviews that actually show better performance with the D9L than the U9S when overclocked and with dual fans. Ultimate performance is fairly similar though, so just get whichever is cheaper!

Some tests of the D9L with dual fans:
Overclockers club test showing D9L beating U9S
TechnologyX showing dual versus single fan improvement for D9L
PCPerformance showing dual fan D9L beating U9S with overclock
I wasn't pleased with my U9S hitting basically 100C on my 6700k at 4.5 with 1.3v so I switched to an h80i and it works wonders, a lot quieter and maxing out at 87C on Intel burn test.

I would try without the bottom fan first. If your temperatures are fine, great. I've read that combining dissimilar fans can cause additional noise due to differences in rpm, airflow, and air pressure between the two fans. Again, you should test for yourself and then let us know.

I'm comparing Majormajor's build to SilentPCReview's:

Majormajor:
CPU => i7 6700K
CPU COOLER => Noctua C14 (discontinued version)
MOBO => Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
RAM => Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8 GB) 2133
PSU => Corsair SF450
M.2 => Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB
GPU => ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
Case Fans Side => Noctua NF-P12 x 2 - pull setup
Case Fans Bottom (towards front) => Noctua NF-S12A x 1 - pull setup for GPU
Case Fans Misc => Demcifilter Ncase standard set

SilentPCReview:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1431-page6.html
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L
GPU Cooler: Arctic Accelero Hybrid-II
PSU: SilverStone SX600-G 600W

The biggest things are the addition of a watercooler, and a different PSU/CPU cooler.

Does anyone have any comments on those changes?

Also, I'll be starting with a GTX 970 and a 2500k. I'll eventually shift over to a 4790k and a 1080 (or similar) video card, if possible.

Last edited:
Bought the NH-C14S along with 2 slim fans from silverstone (FW121).
I will post test results and pictures with and without the fans once everything arives.

Bought the NH-C14S along with 2 slim fans from silverstone (FW121).
I will post test results and pictures with and without the fans once everything arives.

Why two slim fans? The lower one should fit leaving 42mm clearance.

Would be great if you could do a review of the C14s with different cooler configuartions in this case!!

Why two slim fans? The lower one should fit leaving 42mm clearance.

Would be great if you could do a review of the C14s with different cooler configuartions in this case!!
I figured since the sideplate-thing has space for 2, i might aswell just get another.
So the 140mm fan that comes with the cooler is mounted under, and the 2 slim fans on "top".

I figured since the sideplate-thing has space for 2, i might aswell just get another.
So the 140mm fan that comes with the cooler is mounted under, and the 2 slim fans on "top".

So you went for aesthetics over air flow :) Sometimes one has to have priorities, I understand.

Just so you have a rough idea. The Noctua 92mm x 25mm has about 50% more air flow than the 92x14 at the same rpm.

So you went for aesthetics over air flow :) Sometimes one has to have priorities, I understand.

Just so you have a rough idea. The Noctua 92mm x 25mm has about 50% more air flow than the 92x14 at the same rpm.

PSUDuctV35_zpsf4d3b80c.jpg

Not aesthetics, the heatsink is bigger than a single 120mm fan.

Ehm.. you lost me, you think I should mount another fan under the cpu cooler than the included 140mm fan? a 92mm fan would do better?
Just to be clear, I don't care about looks, my components already have about 8 different colours.

What LGA-1155 motherboard would you recommend for this case? (concerning: current availability and socket placement)

I'd like to make an NCASE build using some old parts, and have a 2500k/ram to put in it.

I would assume that socket position is important, so I can't just slap any motherboard in it.

Back