NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Well, it maybe random but I found out why my PC doesn't turn on. After stripping everything and rebuilding I forgot the little metal plate that covers the hole where the GPU comes out. Everything worked but as soon as I screw the little plate on again my PC doesn't turn on.

//edit

It's not the plate. This damn problem drives me crazy

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how to watercool CPU+GPU in M1, classic config using one side 240mm rad and one bottom DDC pump.
What kind of fittings do you use?
There is obvious need for right angled fittings, but i heard many stories of leak because of some rotating fittings, and i don't know how am i supposed to set non-rotating right angled fittings in the correct orientation?

I have a setup like the one you are planning on building, and i did use the EK 90° fittings. They are rotating, but pretty stiff, and very well built. Have 2 of them in use for 9 months, no problems whatsoever this far. I do also have a 45° fitting from Alphacool, which to my surprise doesnt feel as high quality and isnt manufactured with the same precision, but works flawless aswell. Here is a link to my setup if you want to take a look.

For those of you building x99 in NCASE M1 + gtx1080 FE (custom sleeved cable mod Corsair SF600 cables too with minimum length, check below for more information):

P616Y41.jpg

6MHnO3X.jpg

3RzpsyS.jpg

The Corsair H105 attached on the CPU in two orientations, (1) with tubes coming out on bottom-left of CPU block and (2) with tubes coming out on the top-right of CPU block using asatek narrow ILM bracket which can be purchased on ebay for ~$5 (very easy installation.

From testing the h105 radiator in both intake setup and exhaust setup, I concluded one of the best possible fits (since the h105 radiator is quite thick at 38mm and fans of 25mm exceed the max space for CPU watercooler recommended by NCASE, which they recommend 60mm. Corsair h105 = 63mm, not too bad):

*Also, zip-tieing the 24pin + 8pin through the motherboard section of the NCASE m1 gives more room for the fans/radiator on top of the PSU. Putting the 24pin cable on top of the PSU, which I see alot of people due, obstructs quite a bit of space!!! Also, the Corsair SF600 appears to only be able to mount + connect with fan on PSU facing toward the back of case!
w7gdOsY.png

bKaAuQf.png

95m7fCu.png

Now, again, I didn't test the top-right corsair h105 orientation. Using the fans on the radiator as exhaust gives you more room for the tubes coming out of the radiator. Also, keeping those tubes on the radiator toward the left side (toward the motherboard area NOT PSU area) gives more room aswell, since the motherboard area is more recessed than the PSU area (I am using a Corsair SF600 so that might be different for you depending on what PSU you are using).

The way you mount everything is really important in the NCASE m1. You have to pre-plan out where the bottom two fans (if you use them) cables are going to route, and the HD Audio and front panel headers. I routed my front panel and two-fan cables at the bottom (technically one cable because I used a y-cable from noctua and extension noctua cable) through the back. HD audio through the back of the fans inside the case. The only annoying cable that I couldn't do much with, was the USB 3.0 cable, which is in a pretty bad spot on the ASRock X99e ITX/ac. Also, the cha_fan2 cable from my Noctua bottom two fans obstructed installing the GTX1080 and getting it "clicked" in properly, it was pretty annoying. I had to use an extension cable, coming off the y-cable, because the y-cable was too thick and wouldn't let the GTX1080 "snap-in" the PCI-E socket. Here's a pic without the GPU:
2SkkV18.jpg

Oh yeah, I used cable mod custom sleeved ModFlex cables, I ordered the shortest possible cables (And the PCI-E barely fit, like almost no extra mm or any shorter it would put tension on the GPU). Of course, the 24pin on the ASROCK x99e ITX/ac motherboard is a different length because its located differently than most z170 boards. The dimensions were, if you are curious:
24pin ATX = 350mm (pretty much specific to the x99e ITX/ac since 24pin is further away so needs to be longer)
8pin CPU = 150mm
SATA PSU = 100mm
8pin PCI-E = 150mm (160mm or a little longer would be better)
SATA DATA = 300mm (only comes this length from cable mod, I measured 230mm for my build specific to where the SSD is setup)

I also used blu Gecko's build guide to get an idea how I would mount my H105 prior to building:
[COMPLETE] NCASE M1 - High End Gaming, Photo & Video Editing PC

Oh and the GTX1080 doesn't get any hotter than 73C's when playing super hot games like Overwatch, so long as you the EVGA Precision X AUTO FAN PROFILE, which you can use aggressive, which is a bit loud, or just customize it to get the lowest temps but reasonable noise level! Without the AUTO FAN , I was hitting 83C in overwatch, but games like CSGO are much less, around 60-70Cs, but yeah run the fan profile and your golden!

Last edited:
Hi everyone. First time posting here. Bought my Ncase back when this thread only had ~350 pages (read nearly all of them too). Recently I've been thinking about doing some upgrades, namely, swapping out my 970 for a 1070 once prices/availability are reasonable. But that got me thinking...

For people who have gone the dual AIO route, what cooler(s) do you use?

Right now I'm using a H100i, but I've been thinking about selling it and getting two 120mm AIOs.

I'll get either a Kraken G10 or Corsair HG10 for the 1070, then pick out 2, preferably identical, 120mm AIOs. It looks like my main options are Corsair's H50, H55, or H75 and Kraken's X31. The HG10 also supports the H80i and H60.

Do any of these have shorter or more flexible tubing than others? I'm guessing the H80i is probably too thick. The H75's rad is only 2mm thicker than the H55 and I can't fit both fans anyway.

Two H55s? Something else? Keep the H100i? What do you guys think?

Black v3
4790k @ 4.8 GHz
H100i
Asus Maximus VII Impact
GTX 970
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
SX600-G

Anyone here running a Founders Edition or any other blower style 1080? I'm looking to see what temps are with them.

60C when playing CSGO with AUTO FAN via EVGA Precision X

~70-75C when playing overwatch with AUTO FAN via EVGA Precision X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~80-83C when playing overwatch with NO autofan via evga precision X.

Hi everyone. First time posting here. Bought my Ncase back when this thread only had ~350 pages (read nearly all of them too). Recently I've been thinking about doing some upgrades, namely, swapping out my 970 for a 1070 once prices/availability are reasonable. But that got me thinking...

For people who have gone the dual AIO route, what cooler(s) do you use?

Right now I'm using a H100i, but I've been thinking about selling it and getting two 120mm AIOs.

I'll get either a Kraken G10 or Corsair HG10 for the 1070, then pick out 2, preferably identical, 120mm AIOs. It looks like my main options are Corsair's H50, H55, or H75 and Kraken's X31. The HG10 also supports the H80i and H60.

Do any of these have shorter or more flexible tubing than others? I'm guessing the H80i is probably too thick. The H75's rad is only 2mm thicker than the H55 and I can't fit both fans anyway.

Two H55s? Something else? Keep the H100i? What do you guys think?

Black v3
4790k @ 4.8 GHz
H100i
Asus Maximus VII Impact
GTX 970
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
SX600-G

I would keep the h100i. It depends on the motherboard type too, because the x99 boards are much harder to find coolers for because of the narrow ILM so users like myself, just to use say a corsair h105, I needed to order the Asatek bracket off ebay. Well worth it in my opinion because I wanted the 5XXX/6XXX series chip with more cores. The orientation matters aswell, i.e. the h100 apparently installs with better hose management with cpu block tubes coming from the rear i/o ports, and using the radiator as exhaust gives more room aswell, which is super important if your using a thick radiator like the h105 in the NCASE m1.

is it worth buying an H75 and Corsair/MSI 1070 AIO for my build or should I just stick with NH-U9S and 1070 FE?

Depends if you want to overclock. I had the noctua u9dxi4 in my NCASE m1 before I switched to the corsair h150 because I could only get to 4.0ghz before things got too hot. I can easily hit ~1.2v/4.5ghz now with the corsair h105.

I also much enjoy the more room inside the case because the gigantic air cooler radiator gets in the way of everything , especially with such small volume to work with from the beginning (in the NCASE).

For those with blower style heatsinks on their GPUs: take off the shroud and turbine/blower fan. Attach 1 or 2 slim fans to the heatsink with some twist ties or something. Such as the Noctua NF-A9x14. You will see a huge difference in temps. Those blower fans just do not push enough air.

*You may even be able to use standard thickness fans and just use a couple of 80mm fans. I'm not sure of the clearance the M1 affords.

For those with blower style heatsinks on their GPUs: take off the shroud and turbine/blower fan. Attach 1 or 2 slim fans to the heatsink with some twist ties or something. Such as the Noctua NF-A9x14. You will see a huge difference in temps. Those blower fans just do not push enough air.

*You may even be able to use standard thickness fans and just use a couple of 80mm fans. I'm not sure of the clearance the M1 affords.

Haha. Why not just aftermarket then?

Or why not just strip the shroud & fans & mount a pair of 120mm fans on the bottom of the chassis…?

Maximum air intake straight to the heatsink…?

Any news when Version 6 will be available to pre-order? Im going to order but i figure its worth waiting for v6. Any estimated date on when?

A. Its already a pretty good heatsink. It just isn't being fully utilized, by the blower. It covers the VRMs, too. Many aftermarket coolers do not make contact with the VRMs.

B. If there is clearance, you could use any fan/s you want to. Which is a pretty nice thing. and most of us probably have a spare fan or two, which would save money. Even if you can't, that slim noctua Fan is going to be better than whatever comes on an aftermarket cooler.

Or why not just strip the shroud & fans & mount a pair of 120mm fans on the bottom of the chassis…?

Maximum air intake straight to the heatsink…?

well again, I'm not sure of the clearance/measurements. You want the fans to be right on the heatsink, for maximum pressure and turbulence, on the metal. If the fans are strapped to the case an inch or two away, that will probably lower their effectiveness at wicking heat from the heatsink. Maybe someone could do a test? (I don't have an M1).

Any news when Version 6 will be available to pre-order? Im going to order but i figure its worth waiting for v6. Any estimated date on when?
There's no V6 planned, since I haven't identified any new changes that need to be made. There's a good chance V5 is the final revision.

I have the FE gtx1080 and get 60 in most games, 70s in overwatch which really pushes the card hard. Not everyone needs to go to those absurd lengths to take the shroud off lol

For those of you building x99 in NCASE M1 + gtx1080 FE (custom sleeved cable mod Corsair SF600 cables too with minimum length, check below for more information):

P616Y41.jpg

6MHnO3X.jpg

3RzpsyS.jpg

The Corsair H105 attached on the CPU in two orientations, (1) with tubes coming out on bottom-left of CPU block and (2) with tubes coming out on the top-right of CPU block using asatek narrow ILM bracket which can be purchased on ebay for ~$5 (very easy installation.

From testing the h105 radiator in both intake setup and exhaust setup, I concluded one of the best possible fits (since the h105 radiator is quite thick at 38mm and fans of 25mm exceed the max space for CPU watercooler recommended by NCASE, which they recommend 60mm. Corsair h105 = 63mm, not too bad):

*Also, zip-tieing the 24pin + 8pin through the motherboard section of the NCASE m1 gives more room for the fans/radiator on top of the PSU. Putting the 24pin cable on top of the PSU, which I see alot of people due, obstructs quite a bit of space!!! Also, the Corsair SF600 appears to only be able to mount + connect with fan on PSU facing toward the back of case!
w7gdOsY.png

bKaAuQf.png

95m7fCu.png

Now, again, I didn't test the top-right corsair h105 orientation. Using the fans on the radiator as exhaust gives you more room for the tubes coming out of the radiator. Also, keeping those tubes on the radiator toward the left side (toward the motherboard area NOT PSU area) gives more room aswell, since the motherboard area is more recessed than the PSU area (I am using a Corsair SF600 so that might be different for you depending on what PSU you are using).

The way you mount everything is really important in the NCASE m1. You have to pre-plan out where the bottom two fans (if you use them) cables are going to route, and the HD Audio and front panel headers. I routed my front panel and two-fan cables at the bottom (technically one cable because I used a y-cable from noctua and extension noctua cable) through the back. HD audio through the back of the fans inside the case. The only annoying cable that I couldn't do much with, was the USB 3.0 cable, which is in a pretty bad spot on the ASRock X99e ITX/ac. Also, the cha_fan2 cable from my Noctua bottom two fans obstructed installing the GTX1080 and getting it "clicked" in properly, it was pretty annoying. I had to use an extension cable, coming off the y-cable, because the y-cable was too thick and wouldn't let the GTX1080 "snap-in" the PCI-E socket. Here's a pic without the GPU:
2SkkV18.jpg

Oh yeah, I used cable mod custom sleeved ModFlex cables, I ordered the shortest possible cables (And the PCI-E barely fit, like almost no extra mm or any shorter it would put tension on the GPU). Of course, the 24pin on the ASROCK x99e ITX/ac motherboard is a different length because its located differently than most z170 boards. The dimensions were, if you are curious:
24pin ATX = 350mm (pretty much specific to the x99e ITX/ac since 24pin is further away so needs to be longer)
8pin CPU = 150mm
SATA PSU = 100mm
8pin PCI-E = 150mm (160mm or a little longer would be better)
SATA DATA = 300mm (only comes this length from cable mod, I measured 230mm for my build specific to where the SSD is setup)

I also used blu Gecko's build guide to get an idea how I would mount my H105 prior to building:
[COMPLETE] NCASE M1 - High End Gaming, Photo & Video Editing PC

Oh and the GTX1080 doesn't get any hotter than 73C's when playing super hot games like Overwatch, so long as you the EVGA Precision X AUTO FAN PROFILE, which you can use aggressive, which is a bit loud, or just customize it to get the lowest temps but reasonable noise level! Without the AUTO FAN , I was hitting 83C in overwatch, but games like CSGO are much less, around 60-70Cs, but yeah run the fan profile and your golden!

Godenergy... Great post...thanks. Some of this pertinent for me, but some things different if using the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming MB I assume, correct? I hope someone posts this kind of build detail, but with using the Asus ... Maybe someone has, and I just plain missed it in this super-long thread....

Godenergy... Great post...thanks. Some of this pertinent for me, but some things different if using the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming MB I assume, correct? I hope someone posts this kind of build detail, but with using the Asus ... Maybe someone has, and I just plain missed it in this super-long thread....

Thanks! Everything is mostly the same for the z170 Skylake builds, except if you are going for custom sleeved cables your 24pin doesn't have to be as long as on the x99 ITX board because of where it's placed. And it's even easier to find AIO coolers for the z170 boards because you need the asatek x99 narrow ILM bracket to even use the corsair h105 and coolers like that. The preferred orientation is the same too, which is, turning the CPU block upside down (corsair logo upside down) so the tubes come out the left side which makes it way easier to get the side bracket mounted and get the case to close and fit.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks! Everything is mostly the same for the z170 Skylake builds, except if you are going for custom sleeved cables your 24pin doesn't have to be as long as on the x99 ITX board because of where it's placed. And it's even easier to find AIO coolers for the z170 boards because you need the asatek x99 narrow ILM bracket to even use the corsair h105 and coolers like that. The preferred orientation is the same too, which is, turning the CPU block upside down (corsair logo upside down) so the tubes come out the left side which makes it way easier to get the side bracket mounted and get the case to close and fit.

Hopefully this helps!
Thx, bud... If you or anyone sees another specific useful post to those who will use that Asus MB Z170 Pro Gaming MB w/ this case, please list it again...appreciate it.

Hypothetical build at this point…

Motherboard: MSI H170I Pro AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X 8GB Video Card

The question is towards dual 120mm fans mounted n the bottom of the chassis…

My thoughts are that the GPU will benefit from the cool air being blown into its shroud fan intake; I worry that the bulk of the GPU itself would prevent much air from going g upwards; and then I wonder if the sheer pressure of the sir alone will force it to work its way up, seeking the only exit from the chassis, being the top venting…?!?

So, dual 120mm fans on the bottom, single 120mm under the GPU intake alone, or none at all…?!?

Thanks…!

Last edited:

My thoughts are that the GPU will benefit from the cool air being blown into its shroud fan intake; I worry that the bulk of the GPU itself would prevent much air from going g upwards; and then I wonder if the sheer pressure of the sir alone will force it to work its way up, seeking the only exit from the chassis, being the top venting…?!?

So, dual 120mm fans on the bottom, single 120mm under the GPU intake alone, or none at all…?!?

Thanks…!
If you are using a seahawk 1070 then there is no point in having fans at the bottom...

RE// (my potential build)... (son and I are gamers since early '90's, primarily RTS and FPS style)
NCase M1
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
i7-6700k (will OC...)
EVGA 1080 (not sure which one yet)
Corsair LPX DDR4 (2x8GB)
1 TB SSD w/ backup external HD
Either EVGA SuperNova 650P2 or Corsair SF600/SF450
27" Acer XB271HU monitor (IPS, G-Sync, 2560x1440 @ 165hz refresh... amazing / had it for 2 months now)

The above with an AIO cpu cooler (not sure which one yet) OR... A complete water-cooled rig, like Kevin Lee's......(copying his water-cooled components....)
NCASE M1 Workstation Computer | 0x7D.com

Obviously, just going with an AIO would be MUCH easier for me, as I don't have the patience I used to have. BUT, that rig of Lee's is AMAZING and SWEET....

What do you think of the water-cooling components he choose to use? Is it as good as it gets?

Any detailed feedback will be much appreciated... thanks.

RE// (my potential build)... (son and I are gamers since early '90's, primarily RTS and FPS style)
NCase M1
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
i7-6700k (will OC...)
EVGA 1080 (not sure which one yet)
Corsair LPX DDR4 (2x8GB)
1 TB SSD w/ backup external HD
Either EVGA SuperNova 650P2 or Corsair SF600/SF450
27" Acer XB271HU monitor (IPS, G-Sync, 2560x1440 @ 165hz refresh... amazing / had it for 2 months now)

The above with an AIO cpu cooler (not sure which one yet) OR... A complete water-cooled rig, like Kevin Lee's......(copying his water-cooled components....)
NCASE M1 Workstation Computer | 0x7D.com

Obviously, just going with an AIO would be MUCH easier for me, as I don't have the patience I used to have. BUT, that rig of Lee's is AMAZING and SWEET....

What do you think of the water-cooling components he choose to use? Is it as good as it gets?

Any detailed feedback will be much appreciated... thanks.

First off you list the EVGA Supernova 650P2 as a possible PSU, full ATX will only work with very short graphics cards. There are no 1080s short enough to fit, Gigabyte is making a 1070 itx card that would be short enough, but there are width issues with that one. As far as watercooling goes Kevin's build is great looking but also overkill for your setup. The bottom radiator is unnecessary for your build, it will cool sufficiently with one 240mm radiator, the second radiator is intaking air with that big Titan right above it giving the air no place to exhaust. He is using the EK pump/res combo which is a good idea but personally I don't want anything that big hanging off the back of my case.

I used what is probably the most common watercooling setup in the m1, if you look through the picture gallery you will see several examples of it. Swiftech Apogee Drive II pump/block, FrozenQ reservoir, Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS, Bitspower GPU block and Noise Blocker fans. I have an i5 6600k OCed to 4.4 GHz and a GTX 970 running a modded BIOS at 1506/8000. My max temps during extended stress testing are 52C. Normal gaming my cpu and gpu and low to mid 40C.

Link to my build if you want to take a look. r98farmer's Completed Build - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 970 4GB - PCPartPicker

Thanks…!

If you are using a seahawk 1070 then there is no point in having fans at the bottom...

The Sea Hawk X is a hybrid air / water cooled GPU; the AIO takes care of the GPU itself, but the rAM & VRM sections are still air-cooled by the shroud fan…

So, the question still stands, will fans mounted on the bottom of the chassis help with that air-cooling; and will fans also help with forcing air up & out of the chassis…?

maybe one fan at the bottom front to help with vertical airflow. the vrm/ram only needs the little airflow that the card will provide.

The Sea Hawk X is a hybrid air / water cooled GPU; the AIO takes care of the GPU itself, but the rAM & VRM sections are still air-cooled by the shroud fan…

So, the question still stands, will fans mounted on the bottom of the chassis help with that air-cooling; and will fans also help with forcing air up & out of the chassis…?
IMO you wont really gain much by adding fans at the bottom. The fans at the bottom will push air up and eventually out of the top vents, that is why they are recommended for non blower GPUs. As pendragon1 said, the Vram will be cooled well enough by the blower cooler on the card.

Alphacool Eisbaer 240 Review This is interesting, Alphacool has a new 240mm AIO, similar to the Swiftech and Predator in that it is refillable and expandable. Comes with quick disconnect for the addition of a GPU block. Dimensions: 125 mm x 278 mm x 30 mm so looks like it should fit. It uses G 1/4 compression fittings so you could add 90 adapters for a better fit.

Last edited:
Alphacool Eisbaer 240 Review This is interesting, Alphacool has a new 240mm AIO, similar to the Swiftech and Predator in that it is refillable and expandable. Comes with quick disconnect for the addition of a GPU block. Dimensions: 125 mm x 278 mm x 30 mm so looks like it should fit. It uses G 1/4 compression fittings so you could add 90 adapters for a better fit.

That pump/res combo is quite tall…

Yeah, I think the block is going to be too tall. If the ports were on the side rather than the top, maybe, but as-is it doesn't look like it'll fit.

So micro center is offering me a replacement 1080 strix for my g1 because the g1 didn't light up (stupid i know, but i paid for it so I'll be damned if it doesn't work). Just to clarify does it fit? Because i swear someone said it did and I've heard it doesn't as well.

I ordered my ncase last week and after I placed my order, I got an error message but the payment still went through. I got a paypal payment confirmation, but nothing from ncase. I emailed them about it but I still haven't heard back. I just want to make sure my order went through. Anyone else have this problem?

So micro center is offering me a replacement 1080 strix for my g1 because the g1 didn't light up (stupid i know, but i paid for it so I'll be damned if it doesn't work). Just to clarify does it fit? Because i swear someone said it did and I've heard it doesn't as well.

It does fit. It's not easy but it will fit

Necere, do you think you can publish technical drawings for the M1? Nothing that would compromise your intellectual property. It only needs to tell if some assembly might work. Your GPU sizes sketch [1] is good already, it just needs to cover all major measurements.

This would immensely ease my planning efforts for such a confined space.

[1]

It seems it does fit:

Just an FYI, ASUS Strix 1080 fits in this case, removed the front panel and had to use a little pressure to squeeze it through and was able to get the input side of the card in

Has anyone used the M1 purely as a DIY NAS with 4 drives on the side bracket (provided that you buy an extra HDD cage)? If so, any opinions on how that worked out (any imbalances, noise, space problems, etc)? I imagine it would be a very fine NAS case with 4 HDDs in there and 2 fans at the bottom blowing upwards.

Back