NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I had a question about how I can best use my Ncase M1, which I recently ordered. I read that the suggested cooler for a GPU in the Ncase M1 is a reference design version of whatever card I choose to go with. However, my system will be set up so that a H105 will be doing intake on the side of the case, so I was wondering if the GPU cooler style really mattered since I am using a closed loop on my CPU. I figure that since the H105 is pulling fresh air in from outside, the warm air dispensed by the GPU wont matter much and will just float up and out of the case. I really dont really want to use a reference RX 480 because that cooler looks awful and my other option, the GTX 1070 doesn't seem to offer anything better. Please let me know what you think
It won't affect your CPU temps negatively like it has for me but it still won't be effeciently cooling your gpu. There's no vents on the gpu bay so the hot air will pool up there quite a bit before exhausting out the top and that'll raise gpu temps. I recommend going with a reference card or a full loop.

It won't affect your CPU temps negatively like it has for me but it still won't be effeciently cooling your gpu. There's no vents on the gpu bay so the hot air will pool up there quite a bit before exhausting out the top and that'll raise gpu temps. I recommend going with a reference card or a full loop.
Ahh. I hadnt thought about that... Thanks!

One more thing... Will using two 120mm fans as intake directly below a reference card improve or hinder cooling? Or will it just have a negligible effect? I really want to make a pc in this case that has idle temps in the range of 30c for both GPU and CPU and it seems to be very difficult to achieve...

Edit: Also, if it helps, my plan is to overclock my CPU (i7 6700k) to 4.4-4.6 and not overclock my gpu at all (RX 480 or 1070), but I still want to maintain 30c ish idles for both...

Last edited:
From what I've gathered, the bottom fans provide negligible improvements to reference cards temp wise. Will you get 1-3C better? Probably. But you're sacrificing in additional sound. Your choice! Maybe you should try it.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but how easy would it be to change the front ports on the Ncase M1 to USB-Type C Thunderbolt ports myself?

Thank you.

Last edited:
One more thing... Will using two 120mm fans as intake directly below a reference card improve or hinder cooling? Or will it just have a negligible effect? I really want to make a pc in this case that has idle temps in the range of 30c for both GPU and CPU and it seems to be very difficult to achieve...

Edit: Also, if it helps, my plan is to overclock my CPU (i7 6700k) to 4.4-4.6 and not overclock my gpu at all (RX 480 or 1070), but I still want to maintain 30c ish idles for both...
I had two particularly noisy high flow 3000rpm noctua industrials and they did very little to help the reference 290 I had before I bought a non reference 1080. IMO it's not worth the hassle, bottom fans will cool an extra degree or two extra but will make the case even more crowded, noisy, and hard to work on.

Last edited:
I had two particularly noisy high flow 3000rpm noctua industrials and they did very little to help the reference 290 I had before I bought a non reference 1080. IMO it's not worth the hassle, bottom fans will cool an extra degree or two extra but will make the case even more crowded, noisy, and hard to work on.

Many many posts ago, a member found that ducting the GPU cooling fans to the bottom of the case was effective in reducing GPU temperatures because it ensured the GPU was drawing in cool air from below the case. I think the author created ducts with cardborad or plastic (top of 1 L pop bottles?), but using a 120 mm fan shell (no motor, fan blades, wires, or struts) works too if it aligns with the GPU cooling fan(s).

Considering the next batch of black non-ODD cases won't ship until the end of July, I decided to get an SG13 as a temporary case for the next 2 months. My $2000 build is already total overkill for what I need... Why not throw another $40 down the drain...

Meanwhile, the first components have started to arrive! The next week is going to be exciting, I'll be coming home to presents every day :ROFLMAO:

The SF600 and GentleTyphoons look amazing. This is my first time seeing an SFX PSU in real life. It is really small, though it does have the density of a neutron star... Quite heavy. The Gentle Typhoons are also surprisingly heavy, but also very sturdy and obviously high quality. I'm glad I went for the GTs over the NF-F12s, because they are sexy as hell.

v2Qum4D.jpg

Tomorrow is fun time! I will be building my Ncase and I have a question regarding the airflow.

I don't have any additional fans for the case and I want to know which is the best solution for the CPU cooler. I am using a Noctua NH-U9S, now I am curios which direction is the most useful? Pushing the air out of the back of the case or out to the top of the case? And do you recommend additional fans to lower the temps inside the case?

any chance V6 will offer thunderbolt connectors on front
No, because no motherboards support Thunderbolt on an internal header.

I'd rather have USB-C.
Would you still rather have USB Type-C if it were 1.) limited to USB 3.0, with no new features, and 2.) limited to a single Type-C port, in place of the current two USB Type A? Because that's all that's currently possible. Like the Thunderbolt situation, no motherboard headers exist for USB 3.1 Gen 2, so the only benefit to moving to Type-C is to have the reversible connector.

I have been playing around with my fan configurations on my v5 and wondering if anyone else noticed a difference on the Noctua NH-C14 using two 120mm on the side bracket rather than just the 140mm.

I don't have any additional 120mm "good" fans to test with and just some super junky ones at the moment as I am waiting on my order for new fans. I did notice a slight difference but wasn't much.

Tomorrow is fun time! I will be building my Ncase and I have a question regarding the airflow.

I don't have any additional fans for the case and I want to know which is the best solution for the CPU cooler. I am using a Noctua NH-U9S, now I am curios which direction is the most useful? Pushing the air out of the back of the case or out to the top of the case? And do you recommend additional fans to lower the temps inside the case?

I had my u9dxi4 , which is similiar , with the fans blowing out the exhaust out the back. Temps are decent, stock ghz load/gaming was around 60C-65C when gaming.

I think this is the best because if you look at the U9s facing down and blowing out the top orientation, it is sitting on top of the GPU and would seem to me to have restricted airflow vs. having the open cavity in the front when blowing out the rear.

To be fair though, I swapped my u9dxi4 for a corsair h105 and temps are way lower now, and I'm able to overclock to 4.4ghz with ease on my 5820k which would have been getting a bit hot with the u9dxi4 (dual 92mm air cooler)

Would you still rather have USB Type-C if it were 1.) limited to USB 3.0, with no new features, and 2.) limited to a single Type-C port, in place of the current two USB Type A? Because that's all that's currently possible. Like the Thunderbolt situation, no motherboard headers exist for USB 3.1 Gen 2, so the only benefit to moving to Type-C is to have the reversible connector.

1. Yes
2. No

I'm perfectly fine with the current configuration, I know there are no motherboard headers yet for 3.1 and current USB-C adapters only provide one port. I'd just rather have USB-C than Thunderbolt.

I've seen about an equal number of both configs. I think rear exhausting would be better because you're drawing from an open area, especially if you have an intake fan next to the Noctua cooler to provide fresh air. If you go top exhaust, the graphics card will block some of your intake; even if you have fans on the bottom, not much of that air will make its way past the card, tho you'll still be intaking a bit from the side. But the advantage of that config is that you'll be preventing dust from settling through the top. So there's no easy answer... You have to decide if you prefer slightly better airflow or slightly less dust... In my view, with your config, put a 120mm on the side bracket and exhaust out the rear. You'll still have some exhausting through the top.

Have fun building your system! Don't forget to post pictures. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Amr0d
like this
After several hours I am done with everything but I have a huge problem now. When I put one the sidepanel on the PSU side my computer doesn't turn on. The CPU fan spins a few times and then turns off, clicks on again, turns off.... When I turn on the computer without this panel everything works fine. What now?

Well, turns out that one of the pins on the sidepanel wasn't properly pushed in. Now everyting works fine :D

Last edited:
After several hours I am done with everything but I have a huge problem now. When I put one the sidepanel on the PSU side my computer doesn't turn on. The CPU fan spins a few times and then turns off, clicks on again, turns off.... When I turn on the computer without this panel everything works fine. What now?

Well, turns out that one of the pins on the sidepanel wasn't properly pushed in. Now everyting works fine :D

Glad to hear it, that would have freaked me out too.

I have been playing around with my fan configurations on my v5 and wondering if anyone else noticed a difference on the Noctua NH-C14 using two 120mm on the side bracket rather than just the 140mm.

I don't have any additional 120mm "good" fans to test with and just some super junky ones at the moment as I am waiting on my order for new fans. I did notice a slight difference but wasn't much.

Do let me know if you end up getting some results!

Anyone have any information on the the MSI 1070 Seahawk and fitment issues in the Ncase? I actually just ordered one from newegg. I guess i'd like to be sure it fits, if anyone else has tried.

good morning

recently i switched form a aio (nepton 240m) to a Noctua NH - U9S with two fans (air flow right to left)

i did this because i coudlnt stand the noisy sound of the pump , for now the rpm of the fans is at system start at 1300-1400rpm and under load at 100%cpu around 1500-1600 rpm ( i have to find out if my board is correct set to pvm mode )

i also have two 120mm fans at the botom for the titan x to get fresh air inside , one 120mm fan on the sidepannel across form the psu for fresh air into the case , the psu fan faces to the other sidepannel ( gets his air from the outside )

cpu to cool is a 6700k , i read the temps with cpuid HWMonitor , for stresstesting the cpu i used prime95 v289win64

i made a litle tabel where i compare both , i did run prime for about 10 minutes , ambient temp was around 20°C+- anyting beside the max temps are moment reading because the temps are always changing but not much

prime is a worst case scenario this will never happen while gaming or every other thing you do with your pc and this are the numbers of my pc they can change depend on running time and other things

Untitled%2Bpresentation.jpg

ps the two fans from the aio pushed the air form the inside to the outside

good morning

recently i switched form a aio (nepton 240m) to a Noctua NH - U9S with two fans (air flow right to left)

i did this because i coudlnt stand the noisy sound of the pump , for now the rpm of the fans is at system start at 1300-1400rpm and under load at 100%cpu around 1500-1600 rpm ( i have to find out if my board is correct set to pvm mode )

i also have two 120mm fans at the botom for the titan x to get fresh air inside , one 120mm fan on the sidepannel across form the psu for fresh air into the case , the psu fan faces to the other sidepannel ( gets his air from the outside )

cpu to cool is a 6700k , i read the temps with cpuid HWMonitor , for stresstesting the cpu i used prime95 v289win64

i made a litle tabel where i compare both , i did run prime for about 10 minutes , ambient temp was around 20°C+- anyting beside the max temps are moment reading because the temps are always changing but not much

prime is a worst case scenario this will never happen while gaming or every other thing you do with your pc and this are the numbers of my pc they can change depend on running time and other things

Untitled%2Bpresentation.jpg

ps the two fans from the aio pushed the air form the inside to the outside

What GPU? What V is the 6700k running at? You should try to stress for longer than 10 minutes, I would say that is a bit below minimum for a real testing result.

gpu is a titan x and 10 minutes with prime as an overkill tool are more than enough for the cpu 10 minutes @ 4ghz + 100% load is for a gaming rig more than enough maybe if you use it for other things but even than prime is realy special ,

if i want real life temps for the cpu i guess i will use heaven ore vally maybe some games benchmarkes on a loope , right now i try to fix the cooler fans starting with 1300rpm ,

if i test them with a tool from my motherboard they can run from 400-2000rpm , by the way the board is a asrock z170gaming itx/ac board and it seems the latest bios had some fixes for cpu fan behavior

right now iam looping vallay benchmark ( i know its not heavy on the cpu , it goes more in the gaming derection and that is what i want ) cpu fans run with around 670rpm temps for the cpu are around 40-45°C with peaks at 50°C

Hi All, just finished by M1 build(photos will follow) and currently busy overclocking my SkyLake i7 6700k CPU.
I'm cooling it with a Noctua U9S with an additional Noctua fan(right to left flow). finished my 4 hour real bench stress test successful.
Current setting are, 1.290v and temps stay below 78 Celsius under 100% load.

Question, are these results; bad, decent or great?

Thnx.

mikep577 when you start your system and let it idle what are the fan rpm of your cpu cooler ? or let it idle after you did something how low are the rpm ?

TL;DR: This is TMI, just personal reflections on my build, had to share, apologies and don't read unless you are exceptionally bored.

More stuff arrived today: The EVGA 1070 FE, HyperX Fury 32GB of DDR4 2400, some PWM fan splitter cables, and the temporary home of the system until my M1 arrives two months from now -- the SilverStone SG13. Also ordered an SFX to ATX bracket, so I can mount my SF600 in the SG13.

RijHZ3O.jpg

I must say, it's been almost 10 years since I've built a system. I'd just been using an old MacBook Pro, but I finally got the money and passion again, so... it's happening. What's amazing is how different things look and feel in real life compared to a 2D image on your monitor... I'd been researching stuff for months, I knew all about these components, but they are very different in real life. I'm sure that's how the M1 will feel, though I know every corner of it on paper.

For one, the graphics card -- wow, have things changed. This thing is enormous. Much bigger than I expected. And HEAVY as heck. It's like a brick. The SG13 on the other hand -- much smaller than I expected, and my expectations were informed. Since it's only $40 I expected it to be super cheap and shoddy, but no -- again, online images were deceiving. It's actually quite attractive, and the build is solid. It'll make a great spare case. The 1070 FE dwarfs the SG13 when your intuition is that it should be the opposite. Technically the former fits in the latter, but it's like a 400 pound man living in a 60 sq ft home... Can't wait for the rest of my system to get here. And of course the M1.

Here's the full build. The name of the system is Project Pulsar ;)

PCPartPicker part list: Project Pulsar

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Zalman LQ-315
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: NCase M1
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 57.7 CFM 120mm Fan x4
Other: Asetek LGA 2011 Narrow ILM Retention Ring Kit
Other: SilverStone All Black Sleeved 1-to-2 Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable x3
Other: DEMCiflex NCase M1 120mm 4-Pack, Top, Rear, PSU Dust Filters
Other: Blanking Grommet 25mm x2

Last edited:
Hi All, just finished by M1 build(photos will follow) and currently busy overclocking my SkyLake i7 6700k CPU.
I'm cooling it with a Noctua U9S with an additional Noctua fan(right to left flow). finished my 4 hour real bench stress test successful.
Current setting are, 1.290v and temps stay below 78 Celsius under 100% load.

Question, are these results; bad, decent or great?

Thnx.
That is a great temp IMO. I am running the same cooler, however with the airflow currently set from bottom to top and I have my 6700k running at about 1.2v at 4.2ghz and my temps go into the 80s during prime (version 26.6 so it runs a bit cooler even). Not sure if I got a bad chip or if it's just because my setup isn't finished yet. I am still using the integrated graphics and no additional case fans installed yet. I'm not sure why but my temps seem very high.

Just an FYI, ASUS Strix 1080 fits in this case, removed the front panel and had to use a little pressure to squeeze it through and was able to get the input side of the card in

Do you mind to make a few more pics and more details on how you put the card in the case? I ordered mine today and really don't want to brake something :D

TL;DR: This is TMI, just personal reflections on my build, had to share, apologies and don't read unless you are exceptionally bored.

More stuff arrived today: The EVGA 1070 FE, HyperX Fury 32GB of DDR4 2400, some PWM fan splitter cables, and the temporary home of the system until my M1 arrives two months from now -- the SilverStone SG13. Also ordered an SFX to ATX bracket, so I can mount my SF600 in the SG13.

RijHZ3O.jpg

I must say, it's been almost 10 years since I've built a system. I'd just been using an old MacBook Pro, but I finally got the money and passion again, so... it's happening. What's amazing is how different things look and feel in real life compared to a 2D image on your monitor... I'd been researching stuff for months, I knew all about these components, but they are very different in real life. I'm sure that's how the M1 will feel, though I know every corner of it on paper.

For one, the graphics card -- wow, have things changed. This thing is enormous. Much bigger than I expected. And HEAVY as heck. It's like a brick. The SG13 on the other hand -- much smaller than I expected, and my expectations were informed. Since it's only $40 I expected it to be super cheap and shoddy, but no -- again, online images were deceiving. It's actually quite attractive, and the build is solid. It'll make a great spare case. The 1070 FE dwarfs the SG13 when your intuition is that it should be the opposite. Technically the former fits in the latter, but it's like a 400 pound man living in a 60 sq ft home... Can't wait for the rest of my system to get here. And of course the M1.

Here's the full build. The name of the system is Project Pulsar ;)

PCPartPicker part list: Project Pulsar

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Zalman LQ-315
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: NCase M1
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 57.7 CFM 120mm Fan x4
Other: Asetek LGA 2011 Narrow ILM Retention Ring Kit
Other: SilverStone All Black Sleeved 1-to-2 Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable x3
Other: DEMCiflex NCase M1 120mm 4-Pack, Top, Rear, PSU Dust Filters
Other: Blanking Grommet 25mm x2

Wait until you see that graphics card on a tiny mitx board, looks quite funny if you have never built an itx build before. I think you will be very impressed with the m1, it is an incredible little case.

I have the panel problem again. This time I had to remove the front panel to make the computer boot. What could be wrong with my build?

Back