NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Just an FYI, ASUS Strix 1080 fits in this case, removed the front panel and had to use a little pressure to squeeze it through and was able to get the input side of the card in
Color me surprised. The panel clip doesn't interfere with PCB at the rear?

The Corsair H105 was kind of a pain to install in my NCASE m1 x99 build. Do any of you guys know if its OK for the water tubes of the AIO H105 to be touching the radiator fins inside the case? I've seen some people use fan grills on the radiator? Obviously when I screw everything down, the curled tubes are making contact with the radiator fins and probably some PSU cables inside the case aswell.

L84wx8C.jpg

WlbxIWS.jpg
Rad fins are pretty delicate, so it's not the greatest idea to have things pushing against them. That said, bent fins are practically unavoidable (they often come that way from the factory), and it's not going to hurt anything if a few are.

The capability sheet lists both the 220-X and the 220-X2 as not compatible due to height. You only have about 100mm to where the top of the cpu block would be, not nearly enough room.

Okay. thanks for info. So is there any AIO coolers that can fit this case that you can expand? Original 220 perhaps(not sure if it is expandable)? the EK ones have tubes coming out from wrong end.

Okay. thanks for info. So is there any AIO coolers that can fit this case that you can expand? Original 220 perhaps(not sure if it is expandable)? the EK ones have tubes coming out from wrong end.
The original Swiftech H220 and the rebadged Cooler Master version, the Glacer 240L, and the Fractal Design Kelvin S24 are the only expandable AIOs that will fit in the M1 that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, the former are plagued with pump failures, while the latter aren't available outside of Europe. Thank Asetek's patent for that.

I'm using the cooler master aio with a 4770k+780ti, I believe CM revised its aio and the pump failures are resolved, mines been running 2ish years now.

I can't search but does anybody know how many hard drives we can squeeze into the m1? Assuming low power components, for a server build

I can't search but does anybody know how many hard drives we can squeeze into the m1? Assuming low power components, for a server build
With the included brackets, up to 3x 3.5 HDD and 4x 2.5" drives, assuming you're using an SFX PSU and keeping the front half of the side bracket clear for the HDD cage.

If you order a second 3.5" HDD cage (which I believe we're supposed to be getting a few to restock with the next batch), you can do up to 5x 3.5" HDDs if you use a lower profile CPU cooler (<65mm).

Hi everyone,

I am looking into buy the new M1 with a GTX 1080 and use water cooling system. Not very sure about the measurements and what pieces would fit so I would like to rely on your experience.

Without worrying about the budget. What would be the best setup including the GTX and water cooling for best performance with potential space for overclocling?

Thanks in advance :)

I like my set up very well, and I am getting great temps with OCed cpu and gpu. Swiftech Apogee Drive II block/pump combo, FrozenQ reservoir and Black Ice 240 GTS low profile radiator. I would get one of the Founders Edition 1080s since they are 10.50" X 4.38" so any waterblock you get will fit with no problem. I have my 6600k OCed to 4.4 GHz and I am getting 52C max temp during extended stress testing.

The Corsair H105 was kind of a pain to install in my NCASE m1 x99 build. Do any of you guys know if its OK for the water tubes of the AIO H105 to be touching the radiator fins inside the case? I've seen some people use fan grills on the radiator? Obviously when I screw everything down, the curled tubes are making contact with the radiator fins and probably some PSU cables inside the case aswell.

L84wx8C.jpg

WlbxIWS.jpg

Mount the radiator to the fan bracket first and have the fans pull through the radiator, use the fan grills to keeps the tubing away from fans. This will keep tubing away from the radiator and you will also not have as sharp a bend where the tubes come out of the radiator.

Mount the radiator to the fan bracket first and have the fans pull through the radiator, use the fan grills to keeps the tubing away from fans. This will keep tubing away from the radiator and you will also not have as sharp a bend where the tubes come out of the radiator.

I've seen posts where the M1's fan grills (filters) were mounted on the outside of the side bracket. Does this fit?

If yes, then put the filters on the outside and then you could attach 120 mm wire finger guards (you know, the concentric circular ones) to the fans on the interior of the case. The filters will help to keep the radiator and fans clean and the finger guards will keep hose and wires out of the fans with minimal additional impact on airflow.

Last edited:
I've seen posts where the M1's fan grills (filters) were mounted on the outside of the side bracket. Does this fit?

If yes, then put the filters on the outside and then you could attach 120 mm wire finger guards (you know, the concentric circular ones) to the fans on the interior of the case. The filters will help to keep the radiator and fans clean and the finger guards will keep hose and wires out of the fans with minimal additional impact on airflow.

Since v 4.0 the filter is a single piece that magnetically attaches to the outside of the bracket and will protect either fans or radiators from dust. What you are calling wire finger guards are called fan grills and are included with the case.

I like my set up very well, and I am getting great temps with OCed cpu and gpu. Swiftech Apogee Drive II block/pump combo, FrozenQ reservoir and Black Ice 240 GTS low profile radiator. I would get one of the Founders Edition 1080s since they are 10.50" X 4.38" so any waterblock you get will fit with no problem. I have my 6600k OCed to 4.4 GHz and I am getting 52C max temp during extended stress testing.

Any chance showing some pictures from your install? where and how did you mount the reservoir?

How do you guys recommend orientating a 240mm AIO on the side bracket for optimal cooling? (exhaust or intake) I currently have the H105 intaking: And do you guys reckon removing the bottom mounted dust filters for the two 120mm fans is worth the increased airflow? My 1080 is hitting 80C in overwatch.
5BGw6ZR.jpg

6CXRXbd.jpg

R0Zec7n.jpg

Last edited:
Read somewhere a few months ago that there is an issue with the installation of corsair sfx600 in the m1. Seem like some cabling issue. Couldn't find that info now. Anyone has any issue now?

Well in my country, Denmark mine Werge stuck there in 10 days i had to Call Them 4-5 times before They made Any progress on the clearance... I called them as soon i saw it were landed in my country...
Thanks, I've started chasing it with the local courier, although I'm not sure they have any control over customs. Worth a try though.

Read somewhere a few months ago that there is an issue with the installation of corsair sfx600 in the m1. Seem like some cabling issue. Couldn't find that info now. Anyone has any issue now?
I´ve got an SF450 and i can tell you, that there are no issues. The cables are al little bit stiffy, but will fit anyway.

Here's my tracking information, using Parcelforce and TW AIR 1, should be a good estimate of how long it takes:

8/6/2016 9:04 Newport Depot Delivered
8/6/2016 6:58 Newport Depot Out for delivery
8/6/2016 5:27 Newport Depot Prepared for delivery
7/6/2016 16:53 Newport Depot Delivery scheduled
4/6/2016 8:47 Newport Depot Awaiting payment of customs charges
3/6/2016 23:51 Newport Depot Received at delivery depot
3/6/2016 13:14 National Hub Sorted
3/6/2016 6:43 International Hub Revised Customs charges raised
2/6/2016 13:38 International Hub Customs charges raised
2/6/2016 8:56 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance
2/6/2016 8:40 International Hub Arrived in the UK
27/5/2016 8:08 TAIPEI INT AMF Despatched to the UK

Mine has been stuck at the 'awaiting customs clearance' stage for 11 days. Anyone else have this length delay and did you find any way to get it moving?

I use the SFX600, no problems at all. The cables are stiff but that is about all. If you want to make cable routing a tad easier sleeve them or get some cablemod cables.

How do you guys recommend orientating a 240mm AIO on the side bracket for optimal cooling? (exhaust or intake) I currently have the H105 intaking: And do you guys reckon removing the bottom mounted dust filters for the two 120mm fans is worth the increased airflow? My 1080 is hitting 80C in overwatch.
5BGw6ZR.jpg

6CXRXbd.jpg

R0Zec7n.jpg

I have used the H105 as exhaust . my water hose was positioned like on the picture which I attached .

Attachments

• IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 220

With a side radiator and a bottom radiator, my build is very packed. I ordered the SF600 and had serious issues to route the cables, because they are too stiff. I ended up sticking with the Silverstone PSU and put the Corsair inside my girlfriend's NCase, which is air cooled.

With a side radiator and a bottom radiator, my build is very packed. I ordered the SF600 and had serious issues to route the cables, because they are too stiff. I ended up sticking with the Silverstone PSU and put the Corsair inside my girlfriend's NCase, which is air cooled.

Uh that's incredibly odd. I have the SF600 and the Asrock x99e ITX, which has the weird placed 24pin mobo connector and managed to get even connected easily, the only thing that needed a direct path was the 24pin cable (which is 300mm stock), and the asrock x99e itx is like the only board that has it up higher in a weird spot.

My build is clean and simple however, I don't really get people that try to build in super small SFX cases but throw in silly things (imo) like ODD or HDDs lol.... just seems idiotic... :p

Guys, is there any reason to get the SF600 PSU over the SF450? There is no way I will ever hit 450W in this case. Will the fans of the SF450 start spinning/spin faster at lower power consumption than the SF600's?

Well the Evga GTX 1080 FTW doesn't fit. The power cables extend too far out. Maybe the EVGA adapter will work, but that might be too big too.

Guys, is there any reason to get the SF600 PSU over the SF450? There is no way I will ever hit 450W in this case. Will the fans of the SF450 start spinning/spin faster at lower power consumption than the SF600's?

I am using a SF450 and have no problem. i5 6600k OCed 4.4 GHz, GTX 970, 3 fans, Swiftedch Apogee Drive II pump, M.2 SSD, 2.5 SSD and 2.5 HDD. If you look at the very early posts on this thread the only SFX available was the Silverstone 450 and those guys were running OCed i7s and GTX 780Ti without issue. Newer CPUs and GPUs and even more power efficient.

The biggest reason I went with the 600 over the 450 is because it gives me a little extra head room in the event I build or change something down the road which places stress on the 450. Granted I don't honestly foresee this happening but you never know.

The biggest reason I went with the 600 over the 450 is because it gives me a little extra head room in the event I build or change something down the road which places stress on the 450. Granted I don't honestly foresee this happening but you never know.

this. its always nice to have a better psu then you need if you ever want to add or use it in another build

Thanks! It's a $30 difference, I guess all things considered it's not that much.

Things finally aligned so I can afford an M1, and I see an order placed today won't ship until July 27th :(

I don't want to wait until then to order my components and I don't have a temporary case here. Maybe I could fashion something out of cardboard... But it'll have to last like 7 weeks. I wish there was a company that offered cardboard temp cases for $10. Ideas are welcome haha.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a $30 difference, I guess all things considered it's not that much.

Things finally aligned so I can afford an M1, and I see an order placed today won't ship until July 27th :(

I don't want to wait until then to order my components and I don't have a temporary case here. Maybe I could fashion something out of cardboard... But it'll have to last like 7 weeks. I wish there was a company that offered cardboard temp cases for $10. Ideas are welcome haha.
Lego?

Reactions: BST4R
like this

I recommend the mobo box and you can fit everything together :)) Or a nice big shoe box

That may be more expensive than the M1 :D

I recommend the mobo box and you can fit everything together :)) Or a nice big shoe box

But the mobo box won't fit the graphics card. I would normally just run stuff outside, but I am a dust freak. I will try to fashion a Shoebox M1, while I wait for the NCase.

Graphics card is bought! After much lurking I was finally able to snatch a 1070 FE for $450... they are sold out everywhere, it was not easy... and b/c of the high demand, most are going for $500+, it's ridiculous. Still, not great considering FE is more money for less performance, but it'll be another month until I can get an aftermarket card for a reasonable price. I was hoping to get the EVGA 1080 Hybrid, but... I just couldn't wait for that. Plus that would have put me over budget, and since I'm still rocking 1080p and won't be upgrading to 4K anytime soon, I don't really need the horsepower of the 1080. TMI.

I just bought my NCASE (got one cheap enough on another forum) and the Corsair SF600 and the Noctua NH-U9S. Hopefully everything arrives fast enough to build it on the weekend.

Here is two reason :

1. Future headroom for OC and GPU
2. SF600 has a bigger fan in it which cooling more properly the parts and less loud under load !!

KitGuru has a good comparison on the SF600 and SF450, for instance the 600 is quieter at 300W load, but noisier at 450W.

For those of you reporting the fan spinning even at idle it would be interesting to know which way round you have installed the PSU, i.e. intake inside or from the outside of the case.

Last edited:
Mine SF450 is absolutely quiet, intake is from outside. Really good powersupply, i come from a Silverstone SFX-L600.

Advice for anyone importing into the UK. If your M1 appears stuck in customs it might be worth chasing Parcelforce - as soon as I raised a query with them mine cleared customs. Also, once the parcel makes it to the local depot you can ask for the customs reference and pay the charges online - otherwise you'll have to wait an extra day or two for a letter.

My V5 is finally due tomorrow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £240.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £42.00)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£123.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For £45.00)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For £138.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £250.00)**
Video Card: OcUK GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For £320.00)**
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For £95.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For £23.00)
Other: NCASE M1 (Purchased)

**from existing system

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 05:22 EDT-0400

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I had a question about how I can best use my Ncase M1, which I recently ordered. I read that the suggested cooler for a GPU in the Ncase M1 is a reference design version of whatever card I choose to go with. However, my system will be set up so that a H105 will be doing intake on the side of the case, so I was wondering if the GPU cooler style really mattered since I am using a closed loop on my CPU. I figure that since the H105 is pulling fresh air in from outside, the warm air dispensed by the GPU wont matter much and will just float up and out of the case. I really dont really want to use a reference RX 480 because that cooler looks awful and my other option, the GTX 1070 doesn't seem to offer anything better. Please let me know what you think

Back