NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

A few questions…

Will a single 15mm thick 2.5" SSD fit behind the front panel (where the ODD usually goes) without any issues…?

I have read that the 240 Predator is a tight fit, any thoughts towards a possible future revision to the chassis to better support the 240 Predator…?

Thoughts towards fitting the 240 Predator with the addition of the DCC pump heatsink attached…?!?

For this chassis, I would replace the straight fittings on the Predator with 90 degree fittings; 90 degree fittings to all components (CPU, GPU, & Pump/Reservoir) with barb fittings between 90 degree fittings & hoses… Tube clamps on all the barb fittings… That would make it six 90 degree fittings, six barb fittings, & ten tube clamps (the 'extra' four tube clamps for attaching the two Quick Disconnect fittings that already have barb ends)… I feel using the Quick Disconnects would make for shorter tube length, as you could final assemble everything into the chassis & then connect the QDs together, rather than having enough 'extra/slack' tubing to connect everything before shoehorning the rad assembly into place…?!?

Thoughts on an i7 6700K CPU & GTX1080 GPU on the 240 Predator, with two 25mm thick 120mm fans on the bottom…? No plans on overclocking, just want the extra 600MHz the 6700K provides…

Best directions for fans, intake or exhaust, side (rad) & bottom…?

Thanks…!

Last edited:
Finished my build, very pleased with the case and how it came out.

e23e61e031.jpg

f41a14afed.jpg
c8eddbeb95.jpg
f78eac8552.jpg
20969193c3.jpg
60a8c3cabc.jpg
bde05594a0.jpg

Build:

Ncase M1 v5.0
Intel i5 6600k Skylake
Gigabyte Z170N G1 Gaming 5
MSI GTX 970 OC
2 X 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz
Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB SSD
Corsair SF450 SFX PSU
EnSourced premium cable set for Corsair SF Series
4 channel pci fan control.

Cooling:
Swiftech Apogee Drive II
BlackIce Nemesis 240GTS
Bitspower Acrylic and Stainless 970 gpu block
FrozenQ M1 NCase Reservoir
2 X Noiseblocker Multi Frame S-Series

CPU is not overclocked yet but ran some stress tests using OCCT and 3DMark Firestrike, was not able to get the cpu or gpu over 45C. Pretty impressed with a single 240mm radiator on a cpu/gpu loop.

A few questions…

Will a single 15mm thick 2.5" SSD fit behind the front panel (where the ODD usually goes) without any issues…?

I have read that the 240 Predator is a tight fit, any thoughts towards a possible future revision to the chassis to better support the 240 Predator…?

Thoughts towards fitting the 240 Predator with the addition of the DCC pump heatsink attached…?!?

For this chassis, I would replace the straight fittings on the Predator with 90 degree fittings; 90 degree fittings to all components (CPU, GPU, & Pump/Reservoir) with barb fittings between 90 degree fittings & hoses… Tube clamps on all the barb fittings… That would make it six 90 degree fittings, six barb fittings, & ten tube clamps (the 'extra' four tube clamps for attaching the two Quick Disconnect fittings that already have barb ends)… I feel using the Quick Disconnects would make for shorter tube length, as you could final assemble everything into the chassis & then connect the QDs together, rather than having enough 'extra/slack' tubing to connect everything before shoehorning the rad assembly into place…?!?

Thoughts on an i7 6700K CPU & GTX1080 GPU on the 240 Predator, with two 25mm thick 120mm fans on the bottom…? No plans on overclocking, just want the extra 600MHz the 6700K provides…

Thanks…!
I used to have two SSD's stacked behind the front panel, and they had a gap between them so I'm sure it'll fit.
IIRC they were both 7mm thick (840 and 850 EVO)
I don't remember exactly why it's a tight fit, but I don't imagine it's just a matter of moving an element or two, more a matter of enlarging the case, so unlikely.
6700K + 1080 should be fine on a 240mm rad, I'll look up the video in a minute but I think jayztwocents did a good video on rad space.
Edit: Here:

Depends on your setup, I think commonly people use all fans except for the rear 92mm as intakes, since positive pressure is a good thing.
What's the max gpu height? I couldn't find it on the website.
140mm, to my knowledge.
edit:
though that might come with the caveat of the power connectors needing to be close to reference height like they are in the 1080 strix.

I used to have two SSD's stacked behind the front panel, and they had a gap between them so I'm sure it'll fit.
IIRC they were both 7mm thick (840 and 850 EVO)

I don't remember exactly why it's a tight fit, but I don't imagine it's just a matter of moving an element or two, more a matter of enlarging the case, so unlikely.

Depends on your setup, I think commonly people use all fans except for the rear 92mm as intakes, since positive pressure is a good thing.

I seem to recall reading (somewhere in these nearly 500 pages of posts) that a 15mm thick 2.5" SSD was causing the front panel to not want to seat fully…?

I am not about to ask for the overall chassis itself to be enlarged for the Predator to fit; I think the issue was with getting the unit past the front lip of the inner frame assembly…? And the latest postings I have seen (over on a sub-Reddit) of someone shoehorning a Predator into the M1 also touched on not being able to fully attach the rad assembly to the side bracket, posting party stated he could only use two screws…? I was more looking towards a possible revision that would allow the rad assembly to slide past the frame lip easier & adjust the screw holes/slots to allow for the spacing of the fans on the Predator…

Still curious about shoehorning the 240 Predator into the M1 with the DCC heatsink attached…

Now, one thing I have noticed while looking over the install sheets on the EKWB website is that the pump/res should be to the front of the chassis, rather than the back like the sub-Reddit poster has oriented… The install sheets show that EK does not want the pump above the res… If the unit can be wrangled into the proper position (and secured properly to the side bracket) with the pump/res to the front of the chassis, this would allow the Quick Disconnects to occupy the space between the forward rad area & the PSU… I would have one QD between the pump output & the GPU input & the other QD between the CPU output & the reservoir input… This would allow for an 'easier' removal (still gotta wrangle it past that front frame lip) of the Predator when needed…?

Maybe Necere & Co. will get a 240 Predator to test in the chassis at some point…?!? (fingers crossed) ;^p

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading (somewhere in these nearly 500 pages of posts) that a 15mm thick 2.5" SSD was causing the front panel to not want to seat fully…?

I am not about to ask for the overall chassis itself to be enlarged for the Predator to fit; I think the issue was with getting the unit past the front lip of the inner frame assembly…? And the latest postings I have seen (over on a sub-Reddit) of someone shoehorning a Predator into the M1 also touched on not being able to fully attach the rad assembly to the side bracket, posting party stated he could only use two screws…? I was more looking towards a possible revision that would allow the rad assembly to slide past the frame lip easier & adjust the screw holes/slots to allow for the spacing of the fans on the Predator…

Still curious about shoehorning the 240 Predator into the M1 with the DCC heatsink attached…

Now, one thing I have noticed while looking over the install sheets on the EKWB website is that the pump/res should be to the front of the chassis, rather than the back like the sub-Reddit poster has oriented… The install sheets show that EK does not want the pump above the res… If the unit can be wrangled into the proper position (and secured properly to the side bracket) with the pump/res to the front of the chassis, this would allow the Quick Disconnects to occupy the space between the forward rad area & the PSU… I would have one QD between the pump output & the GPU input & the other QD between the CPU output & the reservoir input… This would allow for an 'easier' removal (still gotta wrangle it past that front frame lip) of the Predator when needed…?

Maybe Necere & Co. will get a 240 Predator to test in the chassis at some point…?!? (fingers crossed) ;^p
Honestly I'm not too certain on the predator, I just thought I remembered it not fitting (which seems to be partially correct). So unfortunately I'm not going to be much help for that.

The SSD thing might be an issue with the power connectors pushing on the front panel, when I had mine up front and the power cables ended up facing the frontplate keeping it shut was a little tough.
A good fix for this is to get the straight style SATA connectors like these.
A60105.jpg

And a picture of my build when I had the SSDs behind the front panel:
hxptLvD.jpg

Honestly I'm not too certain on the predator, I just thought I remembered it not fitting (which seems to be partially correct). So unfortunately I'm not going to be much help for that.

The SSD thing might be an issue with the power connectors pushing on the front panel, when I had mine up front and the power cables ended up facing the frontplate keeping it shut was a little tough.

From the NCase M1 website:

Recommended maximum radiator length: 290mm (303mm available internally, however the chassis lip makes 290mm+ difficult.)

So it is that front frame lip issue & any fitment issue(s) with the side bracket I am looking at; hoping Necere can weigh in with any thoughts towards making the 240 Predator work properly with the M1…! ;^p

Just looking to fit a single 15mm thick 2.5" SSD behind the front panel, so only a single connector; this would be for an Intel 750-series SSD…

This is the cable/connector included with the drive…

cable.jpg

And both the drive & connector…

Intel-750-SSD.jpg

I think that drive should fit fine, I was thinking of getting one at one point. ;)

Are you going to pair it with a Impact VIII?

What's the max gpu height? I couldn't find it on the website.

Max height (or width):
  • For cards up to 12.5" (317mm) or cards in the third slot: 4.4" (111mm)
  • For cards up to 11.5" (292mm) in the first or second slot: 5.5" (140mm) (4.7"/120mm at the PCIe power connectors)
First page of the website (Compatibility tab)

I think that drive should fit fine, I was thinking of getting one at one point. ;)

Are you going to pair it with a Impact VIII?

That would be the plan (especially as the M8I is about the only MB that has a native U.2 connector at this time)…

I want to strip all the fittings, hoses & CPU water block from the Predator; replacing with 90 degree fittings (still from EK, black rather than nickel) & barb fittings… The included CPU water block would be replaced with the EK mono block for the M8I…

Same with the GPU water block; order it with the 'pre-fill' option, just for the Quick Disconnect; but stripping away the nickel fittings & replacing with black ones; again 90 degree & barbs…

The slimmer full-coverage water block for the GTX1080 should give decent clearance for dual 25mm thick 120mm fans on the bottom…

And as you suggested, setting all four fans to intake would give a very good positive pressure, which should see all air exiting thru the top of the chassis…

Custom length cables from Ensourced should make for better overall cable management, excepting dealing with the excess cable for the SSD…

The 240 Predator PWM lead plugged into the CPU Fan header & the two bottom mounted 120mm fans on a PWM 2-way splitter plugged into the Chassis Fan header on the MB should keep temps under control nicely…

Last edited:
SF_Series1__48880.1463800993.450.800.jpg

Anyone wanting a Corsair SF PSU with sleeved cables EnSourced just came up with the short extension so your sleeved cables can actually be 24 pin on both ends. I recently got a set from him before he came up with this and the 18 + 10 pin into 24 pin doesn't look nearly as good as a straight 24 pin.

Just checking, does anyone know the weight of the case alone? I couldn't find that in the specs (only shipping weight). Thanks!

Just checking, does anyone know the weight of the case alone? I couldn't find that in the specs (only shipping weight). Thanks!
The exact weight varies a bit depending on which brackets/screws you have installed, but Qrash gave good breakdown here.

Aside from the difficulty of actually getting the Predator in the case, and the fan mounting holes on the side bracket not extending far enough to screw it in, there's the problem of the fittings not having enough room when the rad is installed in the correct orientation. This is from the Predator manual:

In order for it to be in the correct orientation in the M1, the pump needs to be at the front. The trouble is, there is only 85mm between the fan bracket and the SFX bracket/PSU:

With the Predator being 68mm thick, and at least one of the ports on the pump extending even further past that, there's simply no room left for even the lowest profile right-angle fittings. Unfortunately, there's no solution that doesn't involve making the case larger.

Aside from the difficulty of actually getting the Predator in the case, and the fan mounting holes on the side bracket not extending far enough to screw it in, there's the problem of the fittings not having enough room when the rad is installed in the correct orientation. This is from the Predator manual:

In order for it to be in the correct orientation in the M1, the pump needs to be at the front. The trouble is, there is only 85mm between the fan bracket and the SFX bracket/PSU:

With the Predator being 68mm thick, and at least one of the ports on the pump extending even further past that, there's simply no room left for even the lowest profile right-angle fittings. Unfortunately, there's no solution that doesn't involve making the case larger.

Real shame about the orientation issue, the pump/res/rad/fans combined assembly seems a perfect match for the M1; maybe EK could be convinced to make a special NCase M1 Edition, with the positions of the pump & reservoir reversed…?!?

Real shame about the orientation issue, the pump/res/rad/fans combined assembly seems a perfect match for the M1; maybe EK could be convinced to make a special NCase M1 Edition, with the positions of the pump & reservoir reversed…?!?
I'm not sure we could convince them the market is big enough for that, but you can always shoot them an email and see!

It might work, though interference between the fittings and the motherboard's rear I/O ports might become an issue at that point. Other than that, the fan bracket would have to be redesigned to extend the mounting holes, and I'm not 100% sure the magnetic filter would properly clear the screws. Length is still an issue, and unfortunately there's not much I can do about that. The Predator is about 5mm too long to fit inside without pushing and scraping up the inside of the chassis.

I'm not sure we could convince them the market is big enough for that, but you can always shoot them an email and see!

It might work, though interference between the fittings and the motherboard's rear I/O ports might become an issue at that point. Other than that, the fan bracket would have to be redesigned to extend the mounting holes, and I'm not 100% sure the magnetic filter would properly clear the screws. Length is still an issue, and unfortunately there's not much I can do about that. The Predator is about 5mm too long to fit inside without pushing and scraping up the inside of the chassis.

I would use 90 degree fittings on the pump/res combo, come off the bottom (pump) output to a straight barb fitting on the far GPU connection, from there out of the GPU with a 90 degree fitting going to the input on the CPU mono block, another 90 degree there, the out of the top connection on the CPU mono block with a straight barb fitting going to the 90 degree on the input at the reservoir…

The EK 90 degree fittings are 28mm tall when installed, I would be pulling the fittings from the Predator & replacing with the EK 90 degree fittings…

If, of course, EK were to make a NCase M1 Limited Edition Extreme model…

Have any of you guys hear used this x99e ITX ASRock board in the NCASE m1 with the Noctua NH-U9dx i4?

I'm trying to figure out what orientation to put the CPU cooler for optimum air flow/overclock (fans facing GPU from top to bottom) like this:
xvcnsYm.jpg

or fans facing from front to back of case:
K7BVOaE.jpg

I also have no idea what case fans to use (corsair airflow or noctua ones) or if there is an optimal method the NCASE M1 users have already come across.

I'm also worried about the Noctua NH-U9dxi4 for overclocking because it only has 92mm fans and I wanted to get a 4.5ghz overclock @1.3v for my i7 5820k. Do you guys reckon I would be better off with a Corsair H105i with the asatek Narrow ILM bracket?

My build will also have a reference GTX1080 founders edition with (1) m.2 256gb and (1) SSD 500gb (no harddrives or optical drive) and a Corsair SF600.

Alright, here is the solution…

Dual chamber design; like the A4-SFX, the MI-6, & the Hutzy XS…

With the MB inverted & the Predator swinging around to the 'other side' of the chassis (and about 5mm more width to the MB chamber than in the M1) this should allow proper clearance for 90 degree fittings…

Kind of a wider, squatter M1, still with room for dual 25mm thick 140mm chassis fans mounted on the floor & feeding into both chambers…

The PSU would intake air from the GPU chamber, which will be receiving fresh air directly from the bottom 140mm fans, so this arrangement for the PSU intake should be fine…? Maybe the GPU chamber doesn't even need a perforated side panel…? Only perforations are the MB side panel with the Predator mounted to it, the bottom for the dual 140mm chassis intake fans (feeding both chambers above), and the perforations above both chambers for the chassis to exhaust…?

Should still come in around the same overall volume of the M1…?

Last edited:
From the NCase M1 website:

Recommended maximum radiator length: 290mm (303mm available internally, however the chassis lip makes 290mm+ difficult.)

So it is that front frame lip issue & any fitment issue(s) with the side bracket I am looking at; hoping Necere can weigh in with any thoughts towards making the 240 Predator work properly with the M1…! ;^p

Just looking to fit a single 15mm thick 2.5" SSD behind the front panel, so only a single connector; this would be for an Intel 750-series SSD…

This is the cable/connector included with the drive…

cable.jpg

And both the drive & connector…

Intel-750-SSD.jpg
Intel 750 SSD fits fine. I have one and still has like 1mm clearance between front panel and SSD.

The Founders Edition on Newegg all state 10.50" x 4.38" except for the EVGA which states 10.50" x 5.94" although the pics all look exactly the same. Just checked EVGA web site and it is indeed 5.94", so any of the others should fit fine.

Have any of you guys hear used this x99e ITX ASRock board in the NCASE m1 with the Noctua NH-U9dx i4?

I'm trying to figure out what orientation to put the CPU cooler for optimum air flow/overclock (fans facing GPU from top to bottom) like this:
xvcnsYm.jpg

or fans facing from front to back of case:
K7BVOaE.jpg

I also have no idea what case fans to use (corsair airflow or noctua ones) or if there is an optimal method the NCASE M1 users have already come across.

I'm also worried about the Noctua NH-U9dxi4 for overclocking because it only has 92mm fans and I wanted to get a 4.5ghz overclock @1.3v for my i7 5820k. Do you guys reckon I would be better off with a Corsair H105i with the asatek Narrow ILM bracket?

My build will also have a reference GTX1080 founders edition with (1) m.2 256gb and (1) SSD 500gb (no harddrives or optical drive) and a Corsair SF600.

Yes, at least 2 people have used that cooler. I searched HardForums for "ud9x" and found posts from TomK and Nox on page 17 of the "X99 on mITX" thread.

X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

Almost certainly won't fit (without modding):
  • ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Classified ACX 3.0
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Hydro Copper
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Hybrid
  • Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix
  • GALAX/Colorful GeForce GTX 1080 HOF and Custom Gamer
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR 2X
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP!
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 PGF Edition

The cheapest 1080 I found here in Germany is the Palit GeForce GTX 1080 JetStream for 700€. But with 133mm depth you can add it to the list of non-fitting GPUs.
::Palit Products - GeForce® GTX 1080 JetStream ::

Last edited:
For all those looking at the EVGA 1080 dimension numbers, ignore them: All the 1080s on their site have the exact same dimensions listed, even the Founders Edition. I'm sure it's correct for whichever of their cards ends up being the largest, but it's likely wrong for all the rest.

Last edited:
Can any NCASE M1 connoisseurs recommend the best case fans for the NCASE? I know the radiator bracket and bottom case fan mounts are 120mm correct? And is it true the rear case fan mounts are for a 92mm?

Can any NCASE M1 connoisseurs recommend the best case fans for the NCASE? I know the radiator bracket and bottom case fan mounts are 120mm correct? And is it true the rear case fan mounts are for a 92mm?
Yes to all your questions.

Just for completeness:
  • You can attach one 140 mm fan to one of the side bracket positions if it has 120 mm fan mounting holes. The second position beside it would have to be a 120 mm fan.
  • The rear fan mount also has holes for an 80 mm fan (a 92 will be better)
  • The front fan mount at the bottom of the case also has holes for a 92 mm fan (a 120 will be better)
I believe if you attach the hard drive cage to bottom of the case there may not be enough space beside it to also fit a 120 mm fan on the bottom, so that would be only time you would need to use a 92 mm fan there.

Hey guys.

Just signed up to Hardforum so I could post my Ncase build, and thank all of you for this 500 pages thread with goodies
XlTdfP6Zuv59L1qel_jvKKP-JdOXiVt4GaEJE6WwuZaXtHUR3VH1q_TarupoTSSmkeJYJzmA7sHZrT7pHC1Efwvzs0sZhnIPHGcTwQ=s0-d-e1-ft
:)

First build in 11 years!
XlTdfP6Zuv59L1qel_jvKKP-JdOXiVt4GaEJE6WwuZaXtHUR3VH1q_TarupoTSSmkeJYJzmA7sHZrT7pHC1Efwvzs0sZhnIPHGcTwQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Still waiting for the 1080 (or the 1070?!) so for now this old 260 thing got to do the job.
It is running at 4500 @ 1.265 atm, but because of the GPU card, this thing is building up heat quite fast, my idle is around ~39-45c and stress is ~64-80c.
I got a extra Noctua NF-F12 PWM laying around, I'm thinking of placing it at the bottom of the case for more intake, and maybe get another 92mm to exhaust. The current F12 is set to intake, to get some cold air to the D9L 92mm fans. The Noctua D9L is a nice fit, and I can even fit 3 of the 92mm on it, for now I got two of them, both taking the air through the cooler and out the back. The 4 Samsung 840 PRO is running in a RAID0 for performance and absolute zero redundancy :D

PCPARTPICKER Mr-Hat's Completed Build - Intel Core i7-6700K, PowerColor Radeon R7 260X - PCPartPicker

ncase m1-8.jpg
ncase m1-2.jpg
ncase m1-3.jpg
ncase m1-4.jpg
ncase m1-5.jpg
ncase m1-6.jpg
ncase m1-7.jpg
ncase m1.jpg

building up heat quite fast, my idle is around ~39-45c and stress is ~64-80c.
try running without the dust filters and see how the temps are. with hot hardware(OCs) in these small cases unrestricted air flow would be more important than being dust free. add the extra fan you mentioned and i'd move the cpu fan from the right side where its getting bent to the left side close to the exhaust. you're probably going to have to play around a bit to get it cooler and then make some adjustments when your 1070/80 arrives.

Hey guys.

Just signed up to Hardforum so I could post my Ncase build, and thank all of you for this 500 pages thread with goodies

First build in 11 years!
Still waiting for the 1080 (or the 1070?!) so for now this old 260 thing got to do the job.
It is running at 4500 @ 1.265 atm, but because of the GPU card, this thing is building up heat quite fast, my idle is around ~39-45c and stress is ~64-80c.
I got a extra Noctua NF-F12 PWM laying around, I'm thinking of placing it at the bottom of the case for more intake, and maybe get another 92mm to exhaust. The current F12 is set to intake, to get some cold air to the D9L 92mm fans. The Noctua D9L is a nice fit, and I can even fit 3 of the 92mm on it, for now I got two of them, both taking the air through the cooler and out the back. The 4 Samsung 840 PRO is running in a RAID0 for performance and absolute zero redundancy :D

PCPARTPICKER Mr-Hat's Completed Build - Intel Core i7-6700K, PowerColor Radeon R7 260X - PCPartPicker

View attachment 3515View attachment 3509View attachment 3510 View attachment 3511 View attachment 3512 View attachment 3513 View attachment 3514 View attachment 3516

Why did you went with Air cooling and not with water ?

Hey guys.

First build in 11 years!

View attachment 3515View attachment 3509View attachment 3510 View attachment 3511 View attachment 3512 View attachment 3513 View attachment 3514 View attachment 3516

would putting a 92mm rear exhaust fan behind the noctua tower cooler help at all ? in addition to putting 2 (120mm) down on the bottom as intake?

For you guys running Noctua coolers in your NCASE m1, do you recommend the low-noise adapters if you are overclocking? won't they hinder the overclock potential because the RPM of fan will span lower?

Back