NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Woot got my tracking info! That window looks really nice, I'd probably go for it if I wasn't planning to go the water cooling route. Maybe I'll change my plans and do air cooling.

Woot got my tracking info! That window looks really nice, I'd probably go for it if I wasn't planning to go the water cooling route. Maybe I'll change my plans and do air cooling.

I just got my tracking number too, starting to get excited.

3M Double sided tape. I used tempered glass for the window which is heavy so picked up the 4910 tape.

Cool, i dont know if my skills is that good in cutting, dont wanna ruin the side panel :( and i dont have a dremel either...
Want to buy a windows panel seperately from Ncase as assecorie

You could easily do watercooling witht he windows mod aswell, just a 92mm radiator in the back and a 240mm in the bottom easy :)

You could easily do watercooling with the windows mod as well, just a 92mm radiator in the back and a 240mm in the bottom easy :)
I actually meant half assed water cooling with my h100 which probably would be too thick for the bottom with a full sized GPU. I originally planned to do a full loop but with the current build at close to $1800 I'm not sure I want to spend another $400 in doing a custom loop, I'd rather save that money towards that pair of Sennheiser hd800's or the Yamaha monitors I've been pining over. The H100 or Cryorig C1 will keep the processor pretty cool at a fraction of the price and the 1080 was running pretty cool while running at an impressive clockspeed during the presentation so I shouldn't have any problems.

I actually meant half assed water cooling with my h100 which probably would be too thick for the bottom with a full sized GPU. I originally planned to do a full loop but with the current build at close to $1800 I'm not sure I want to spend another $400 in doing a custom loop, I'd rather save that money towards that pair of Sennheiser hd800's or the Yamaha monitors I've been pining over. The H100 or Cryorig C1 will keep the processor pretty cool at a fraction of the price and the 1080 was running pretty cool while running at an impressive clockspeed during the presentation so I shouldn't have any problems.

Well you could use the h100 in the bottom with some slim fans, if its below 30mm thick you can use e.g. the silverstone fn123 fans which actually are pretty decent :)

I've tried the H75 both with a single and dual fans, however, only with an atx psu. Images in #13304.
I would say that dual fans worked best and didn't add much to the overall noise. After the images were taken I remove the top fins from the ram to improve airflow noise. Deciding between one or two fans kind of depends on which fans you're going for and if you're going for a powerful cpu or overclock.

For my last build, I ended up using the NH-C14.

Thank you! I haven't seen a build with the H75 using both fans before. It looks like it should fit even with a SFX PSU. I am still looking around at different coolers and am considering the X31 due to the thicker rad, but if I can fit in an H75 with both fans I think that would be a better performer.

Picking up another Ncase M1 for a second build I'm working on. (Silver this time) Out of curiosity any possibility of maybe making a new interchangeable front I/O that maybe swaps out the USB 3.0 for the new type C connector?
Or maybe even a clean I/O with just a power button?

Picking up another Ncase M1 for a second build I'm working on. (Silver this time) Out of curiosity any possibility of maybe making a new interchangeable front I/O that maybe swaps out the USB 3.0 for the new type C connector?

I would love this, I currently only have the audio headers hooked up and never use them (lots of electrical interference killing audio quality), the USB3 cable is crazy annoying to tuck away, but I haven't the heart to cut it off. Would love a clean front I/O with just power.

I would love this, I currently only have the audio headers hooked up and never use them (lots of electrical interference killing audio quality), the USB3 cable is crazy annoying to tuck away, but I haven't the heart to cut it off. Would love a clean front I/O with just power.

lol same here. My OCD prevents me from cutting or removing anything that originally came installed. I don't use any of the USB or the audio headers so it would be badass to have a clean looking I/O

The thing is, there are no USB 3.1 motherboard headers yet. Which means you either: 1.) route the front panel USB Type C to a rear USB 3.1 Type C on the motherboard, running the cable through a hole in the chassis; or 2.) have a front panel Type C that is still USB 3.0, and connects to the motherboard via the regular 3.0 header.

The first option is how it was done with USB 3.0 before there motherboard headers existed for that, but IMO it's too awkward and ugly. The second option hardly seems worthwhile, and might cause confusion on top of it (being USB 3.0 instead of 3.1). What do you think?

Would love a clean front I/O with just power.
Probably not enough demand to justify a completely port-free front panel.

The thing is, there are no USB 3.1 motherboard headers yet. Which means you either: 1.) route the front panel USB Type C to a rear USB 3.1 Type C on the motherboard, running the cable through a hole in the chassis; or 2.) have a front panel Type C that is still USB 3.0, and connects to the motherboard via the regular 3.0 header.

The first option is how it was done with USB 3.0 before there motherboard headers existed for that, but IMO it's too awkward and ugly. The second option hardly seems worthwhile, and might cause confusion on top of it (being USB 3.0 instead of 3.1). What do you think?

Here's a crazy mod-heavy third option:

I believe Asrock has a 3.5 inch front bay accessory that provides two USB 3.1 ports (both Type A and C) from a SATA Express motherboard header. I think some mini-ITX boards have . I wonder if these 3.1 ports could be extracted and put into the place of the existing USB 3.0 port or mod the entire device to fit in place of the provided front I/O unit.

Crazy idea, eh?

Update: I can't find this unit for sale on its own. The Asus USB 3.1 UPD Panel is a similar kit that provides two USB 3.1 Type C ports.

Last edited:
Here's a crazy mod-heavy third option:

I believe Asrock has a 3.5 inch front bay accessory that provides two USB 3.1 ports (both Type A and C) from a SATA Express motherboard header. I think some mini-ITX boards have . I wonder if these 3.1 ports could be extracted and put into the place of the existing USB 3.0 port or mod the entire device to fit in place of the provided front I/O unit.

Crazy idea, eh?

Update: I can't find this unit for sale on its own. The Asus USB 3.1 UPD Panel is a similar kit that provides two USB 3.1 Type C ports.
That seems like a lot of trouble to go through just for one or two Type C ports, doesn't it? Personally, I'm content to wait until they are more integrated, and not reliant on kludgy adapters.

I completely understand where you are coming from, however, I have to disagree. Think of the mITX and SFX PSU formfactor. At first it started off slowly but look at it now, it's exploding in popularity.
Im sure USB 3.0 maybe around for a little longer but when it comes to aesthetics of the case, I would rather have a port free front panel than anything else.
More than enough ports in the back of the case and for me its only one foot further I have to reach keeping the front of the case wire free as well.

I thought I'd throw the idea out as its something I prefer with all my cases. (As in all the current cases I own) :)

I'm not affiliated with Ncase but I'd like to point out some aspects why this isn't an easy choice.

Quantities: keep in mind that MOQs (Minimum Order Quantities) are a very important aspect in manufacturing that means the difference between not possible and viable. Some fabrication procedures have 100 piece MOQ, some 500, some over 1,000.

Costs: if there are start-up costs for manufacturing or costs for tooling, you are looking at for example 1,500$ costs even before the first part rolls out which needs to be distributed. Let's say the part to make costs 2$ in materials and labor a piece. That would mean to order one piece, it would cost 1,502$. If we need 3 parts, it would be 502$ each, if we needed 150 parts, it would cost 12$ a piece, etc.

Finding one or three persons interested: no problem. But they won't pay 502$ for an aluminium bracket. 150 people, that's not going to happen because many people still use front USB or front audio and/or don't want to pay for a blank front bracket. Let's say Ncase could find 50 interested people. It would mean with my example that it would cost 32$ excluding shipping and handling. So for some that would be almost 50$ due to shipping and potentially import duties. Suddenly it becomes as expensive as a Noctua cooler or a entry level SSD. But let's say the MOQ is 500 and the tooling cost is 3,000$ with 2$ a piece materials and labor, then it would mean every bracket would cost 8$, but only if 500 are sold. If only 50 are sold, Ncase would have 450 pieces left over, costing (450 * 2$) + (3000$ - 10%) = 3,600$ that don't move. They have to have paid upfront for this, mind you. These are just examples of how a simple part can become quite the project.

Logistics: you'd also need to take shipping and handling into account, people need to get this to your door: from the factory (in Asia most likely) to the logistics company, fill out all the forms, collect all the address data, find suitable packaging.

Don't forget Ncase is a two-man operation that is handled I believe in their spare time subsidized with their own money.

I don't know the prices, Necere and Wahaha360 know or atleast could guess, but they have done the math already most likely. I understand why they don't just willy-nilly order new random parts that might be sitting in a warehouse or garage somewhere.

The USB Type-C is a different issue with the chicken-and-egg problem: there are just a few Type-C products out there, there is no good Type-C solution yet since all motherboards only have USB 3.0 headers ("3.1 gen 1") while for Type-C you'd want "3.1 gen 2" and a proper infrastructure so a device you attach to it will charge correctly. Being too hasty might bring about a lot of issues in the long run, so it might just be too soon.

I completely understand where you are coming from, however, I have to disagree. Think of the mITX and SFX PSU formfactor. At first it started off slowly but look at it now, it's exploding in popularity.
Im sure USB 3.0 maybe around for a little longer but when it comes to aesthetics of the case, I would rather have a port free front panel than anything else.
More than enough ports in the back of the case and for me its only one foot further I have to reach keeping the front of the case wire free as well.

I thought I'd throw the idea out as its something I prefer with all my cases. (As in all the current cases I own) :)

I completely agree. I think that in a lot of ways the Ncase is a minimalists solution to a PC chassis. Minimal in aesthetic and in footprint. However as Phuncz described above, a dedicated front plate may be quite the expense.
What if in the next revision of the Ncase, we see some kind of shroud or plate to hide the front I/O altogether? Similarly to Phanteks' Evolv ATX front I/O which is hidden under a hinged plate. Just an idea.

So I finished my build yesterday (sort of at least, I'm waiting for the GTX 1070/1080 to be released) and looking back on it now I definitely would've done certain things differently. Like installing the NH-C14 cooler, for example. I installed it after mounting the motherboard (with cpu and ram installed) into the NCASE, but if I had to do it again, I'd install the cooler after everything else. Having the cooler installed just made routing cables that much harder, especially with the SF600's stiff cables.

Now given that this was my first ever build, I naturally made some mistakes (hence the edited post from yesterday) but overall it was a good and enjoyable experience, and something I definitely want to do again. I booted everything up this morning and it's all working A-OK.

Edit: One other thing, I've seen a few posts on here about the request for a manual in regards to the NCASE. Although it would make the whole build process slightly easier, I don't think it's a necessity. If you take your time and do the research, you should be fine. It's all rather simple when you have everything you need, and most of the information is already out there.

Last edited:
The Ncase is listed as shipping on March 25 2016. About how long is shipping for those who received their case? Is it shipping from USA?

I live in Midwest/central USA if that helps;are we talking a few days or weeks for shipping?

The Ncase is listed as shipping on March 25 2016. About how long is shipping for those who received their case? Is it shipping from USA?

I live in Midwest/central USA if that helps;are we talking a few days or weeks for shipping?
The last run shipped starting January 10th, and you can check actual when buyers actually received the case on the Google Docs sheet. Based on that, 2 weeks is pretty typical for US customers.

Mine was delivered to Taiwan post on the 11th, shipped on the 13th and arrived at customs in LA on the 15th. Really hoping it won't take 2 weeks total.

Sell my open cooler MSI 970 4G and buy a 1070 blower or nah?
Blower cooler GPUs exhaust the heat out of the back, while open coolers exhaust inside your case making recycling warm air possible. The open air cooler recycling problem is solved by reversing the fans (if using custom coolers like Arctic Accelero Extreme) and exhausting it through the bottom. Otherwise the blower coolers seem the best option.

I'm hoping the tier one air service translates into priority mail once it reaches the US. Mine has already cleared customs and left LA yesterday so if that's the case I'll have it tomorrow or Wednesday! I've got a bunch of parts just laying around and I'm dying to power them up.

You guys may get it quicker than the last batch, which was shipped during a busier time of the year.

Damn that was fast, there's already a V5 Ncase on eBay.
The first run of V5s was in January, so they've been in the wild for months. The new batch is still V5, since there weren't any changes made to the chassis.

You guys may get it quicker than the last batch, which was shipped during a busier time of the year.

The first run of V5s was in January, so they've been in the wild for months. The new batch is still V5, since there weren't any changes made to the chassis.

But can you confirm it got a a new set of front USB cables (black)?

I purchased the Ncase via paypal yesterday. I can give you the transaction ID or any information, I just wanted to make sure it went through before the ship date because it showed up as an "echeck" even though I did the direct payment from my bank option, please let me know, I want to make the 25th of May cutoff for shipment!

I purchased the Ncase via paypal yesterday. I can give you the transaction ID or any information, I just wanted to make sure it went through before the ship date because it showed up as an "echeck" even though I did the direct payment from my bank option, please let me know, I want to make the 25th of May cutoff for shipment!
I believe it takes a couple of days to clear if you pay that way, vs. from a paypal balance or credit card. Order-related concerns are w360's department, so you should email him at info (at) ncases (dot) com, or use the contact form on the website if you have any questions about orders.

I believe it takes a couple of days to clear if you pay that way, vs. from a paypal balance or credit card. Order-related concerns are w360's department, so you should email him at info (at) ncases (dot) com, or use the contact form on the website if you have any questions about orders.
So does anyone this would be an awful compromise for people wanting to do a good/cool watercooling build in this system... Use 35mm thick feet and put standard 25mm fans underneath the case (which is exactly the same tolerances I'm using currently with external fans on my Define S ATX build). Naturally I wouldn't expect Necere/w360 to make this adjustment, I just wanted to get their perspective on it.

Seems like it would solve so many people's concerns with slim fans (admittedly the base may look very odd to some people.)

So does anyone this would be an awful compromise for people wanting to do a good/cool watercooling build in this system... Use 35mm thick feet and put standard 25mm fans underneath the case (which is exactly the same tolerances I'm using currently with external fans on my Define S ATX build). Naturally I wouldn't expect Necere/w360 to make this adjustment, I just wanted to get their perspective on it.

Seems like it would solve so many people's concerns with slim fans (admittedly the base may look very odd to some people.)
I have no idea what you are talking about :/

Back