NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to buy some spare parts in advance:
1. Power cable inside the case, connected to the PSU: ST30S-F is what I have in my built. With this PSU this power cable is very tight and I think it's a bit twisted due to the very short distance to the front wall case. I see there are some 90 degree power cables but the height is over the distance between the top panel and PSU:(
2. Front audio module: Sometimes it's shaking though I check the screws already. I'm a heavy headphone user so I don't want to see someday it's broken and I don't have it to replace it:)
TKS
You could shell out some money for an external amp and get even better quality from your headphones. Would also solve the replaceability of the connector.

Most rads that fit in the case will fit either way. With some longer rads (like the H220's), having the ports at the front might prevent a 2.5" drive from being installed there, but this shouldn't be an issue with the ST30.
Great, thx for the info! :)

The SX600-G is available for order on Amazon. I've been hoping it would be back in stock before I got my case.
I ordered mine when Amazon was saying "will ship in 6-8 weeks" thinking that would be roughly the time the M1's come in, and they shipped it in about 4 days. Even if its not "in stock", as long as its orderable I would just go ahead and order it since they have a habit of shipping way sooner than their estimates

Does anyone know if the Cooler Master Glacer 240L is within specifications and fits in the case? Need to know because the Fractal Design Kelvin series won't be here until november and I have almost all other parts. If not, what good CPU waterblock/pump combos are there?

Thanks!

Apogee Drive II seems to be the most common/popular option

Yeah, it's very expensive though. I know watercooling will set you back for noticeably more than aircooling but i was hoping i could get away with a full config (rad, cpu block, pump etc.) for just the cost of the Apogee Drive II. It should be possible however because i've seen other combos for half the price, but you pay for performance and reliability I guess.

I too spent way more than I originally budgeted :(

One thing I guess I can count as a positive is that I may be able to add a cheap aluminum heatsink under the MCP35X :D

Last edited:
So given that an H220 (240 mm) can sufficiently cool a 3570K+ and a 290X with headroom, and the 295X2 ships with a 120 mm radiator, would an H220 be able to cool a CPU and a 295X2? A 295X2 with a block should fit in the case as it's under the 12.5" threshold.

Someone previously pointed out a dual-PSU solution that would theoretically power everything sufficiently. Would be a pretty ridiculous but awesome setup if it worked... and would be really nice for my LG 34UM94!

So given that an H220 (240 mm) can sufficiently cool a 3570K+ and a 290X with headroom, and the 295X2 ships with a 120 mm radiator, would an H220 be able to cool a CPU and a 295X2? A 295X2 with a block should fit in the case as it's under the 12.5" threshold.
This is something I've been thinking about (making a 295X2 fit, not using the H220), especially since the 295X2 dropped to a much more reasonable $999 price, making it roughly the cost of Crossfire'd 290Xs, instead of a massive premium.

Frankly, I'm not sure how the stock 1x 120mm radiator is sufficient for the 295X2. If it's indeed 500W TDP, that isn't nearly enough based on the numbers I can find for heat dissipation in Watts per 120mm rad. (ex. http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/12/alphacool-nexxxos-ut60-360-radiator/4/) Although these numbers are massively dependent on which specific radiator you use and the fan and pump speed/pressure/flow rate.

There's also the fact that I have a PG278Q with G-Sync, so I should probably stick with team green to take advantage of it. Decisions, decisions.

Frankly, I'm not sure how the stock 1x 120mm radiator is sufficient for the 295X2.
It is possible because only the cores are watercooled, the fan on the card cools the memory and VRM's. Especially the VRM's would account for plenty of heat. My single R9 290X reaches about 60-62°C with Battlefield 4 which has a full-cover block, with the VRM's just a degree or two higher but these still dump a lot of heat in the loop.

So a full-cover block would probably give you somewhat higher temps but I think a 240mm radiator would still be able to cool it. It won't be 60°C but it would still be below 75°C I'd guess. With the fans on a tolerable level like 1200rpm.

I finally have time to address and update my NCase M1 again. I really miss a working WC loop with a CPU+GPU. When it was working, its was outstandingly quiet. I am currently looking into parts and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I recently upgraded my PSU to the SS SFX 600w to avoid future RMA problems, but I am not going back to a H220. I am now considering two routes. Either a Swiftech Apogee II (Integrated Pump) + Frozen Q Reservoir or an external EK Reservoir/Pump. I am considering getting a new radiator too (currently still have a H220 one).

But has anyone ever heard of Apogee II pump's reliability? Or the rumor that it's the same pump as the H220 but with a custom led top? I guess I am too paranoid.

I remember seeing a really well done EK Reservoir/Pump NCase M1 but I can't seem to find this user or his build.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g57...Accessories-EK_PumpReservoir_Combo-Page1.html
FrozenCPU list a bunch of Reservoir with 3rd company pumps. I guess EK doesn't make pumps specifically? But is there a specific brand pump that is recommended?

Every time I see Swiftech I get frustrated. I really liked Swiftech and even went out my way to get the H220 instead of the Cooler Master equivalent. But can anyone suggest their other products are a lot more reliable?

I finally have time to address and update my NCase M1 again. I really miss a working WC loop with a CPU+GPU. When it was working, its was outstandingly quiet. I am currently looking into parts and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I recently upgraded my PSU to the SS SFX 600w to avoid future RMA problems, but I am not going back to a H220. I am now considering two routes. Either a Swiftech Apogee II (Integrated Pump) + Frozen Q Reservoir or an external EK Reservoir/Pump. I am considering getting a new radiator too (currently still have a H220 one).

But has anyone ever heard of Apogee II pump's reliability? Or the rumor that it's the same pump as the H220 but with a custom led top? I guess I am too paranoid.

I remember seeing a really well done EK Reservoir/Pump NCase M1 but I can't seem to find this user or his build.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g57...Accessories-EK_PumpReservoir_Combo-Page1.html
FrozenCPU list a bunch of Reservoir with 3rd company pumps. I guess EK doesn't make pumps specifically? But is there a specific brand pump that is recommended?

Every time I see Swiftech I get frustrated. I really liked Swiftech and even went out my way to get the H220 instead of the Cooler Master equivalent. But can anyone suggest their other products are a lot more reliable?

I think I recognize your user name from the Massdrop 34UM94 comment thread, yeah?

You should check out Overrated's build. He's got a DDC pump I think, with the Impact block and an EK Coolstream rad (last I checked, at least). Not sure what mobo you have but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably more or less mirror his build. Looks pretty sweet.

The AD2 pump is the MCP35X which is a DDC pump manufactured by Laing and fitted with a custom PCB by Swiftech. It's really the best DDC pump out there.

For the H220, Swiftech knew they had to get the total price down to compete with Asetek (who make e.g. the Corsair CLCs etc). So Swiftech designed their own pump based on the Laing DDC. I guess the reason it's had so many failures it because it is their first try at a pump. The MCP50X is the redesign of the H220 pump. I expect that will be much more reliable, because at the end of the day, a company doesn't make profits on products that have a high return rate.

Last edited:
I think I recognize your user name from the Massdrop 34UM94 comment thread, yeah?

You should check out Overrated's build. He's got a DDC pump I think, with the Impact block and an EK Coolstream rad (last I checked, at least). Not sure what mobo you have but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably more or less mirror his build. Looks pretty sweet.

Yeah, I was part of the drop. Don't expect to see mines until next week though because I'm from California. Did you get one as well?

Overrated's build is pretty cool, but there was another build where it was an external cylinder EK res with a pump integrated into it. I'm certain I saw it somewhere. I just wanted to see how well the fittings were. I'm hoping to do a Res/Pump or a Block/Pump to avoid adding more tubing to pump and cluttering in the case.

The AD2 pump is the MCP35X which is a DDC pump manufacturer by Laing and fitted with a custom PCB by Swiftech. It's really the best DDC pump out there.

For the H220, Swiftech knew they had to get the total price down to compete with Asetek (who make e.g. the Corsair CLCs etc). So Swiftech designed their own pump based on the Laing DDC. I guess the reason it's had so many failures it because it is their first try at a pump. The MCP50X is the redesign of the H220 pump. I expect that will be much more reliable, because at the end of the day, a company doesn't make profits on products that have a high return rate.

Thank you for the reassurance! This makes a lot of sense regarding the patent banning their sales in the US. I might just get the AD2 and give Swiftech a second chance since I do have a higher wattage PSU now. I just found Laing's manufacture site and they're pretty impressive. They don't just make pumps for PCs.

Got all the stuff.

XM9eZsm.jpg

But went into trouble. I can't find proper screw to mount the reservoir bracket to the back of the case.

HAhRRO5.jpg

Yeah, I was part of the drop. Don't expect to see mines until next week though because I'm from California. Did you get one as well?

Sure did, and I'm in California too... for no real reason I thought their warehouse was in SF, so was hoping to get it today. Oh well, a week's not so bad.

But went into trouble. I can't find proper screw to mount the reservoir bracket to the back of the case.

HAhRRO5.jpg

4 screws, 4 bolts and 4 washers ? You can even find those in shiny or matte black ! Just be sure to get the ones with a fine thread that fit through without force.
The reservoir mount is probably for 80mm fan fixtures while the rear of the Ncase M1 only has screwholes for the 92mm fans. But you can still use screws and bolts through the slots.
Also, be happy. Because a 92mm reservoir mount would overlap the screw holes for the fan bracket where you mount the radiator.

The AD2 pump is the MCP35X which is a DDC pump manufactured by Laing and fitted with a custom PCB by Swiftech. It's really the best DDC pump out there.
Hi WiSK,

Being as paranoid as adudeinblue, I have tried to sort it out @OCN
Aquatuning.de told me the MCP35X is the same pump as the Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM.
And user Jakusonfire@OCN stated that all Swiftech do is put their own top on and a sticker.

Where did you see Swiftech is using a custom PCB?

Correction: there are holes for both 80 and 92mm fans on the rear.
Wow, I never noticed ! Looking at the picture, the issue is probably that the fittings would sit too low to attach them to the 80mm fan holes. But still, some screws and nuts should fix it.

4 screws, 4 bolts and 4 washers ? You can even find those in shiny or matte black ! Just be sure to get the ones with a fine thread that fit through without force.
The reservoir mount is probably for 80mm fan fixtures while the rear of the Ncase M1 only has screwholes for the 92mm fans. But you can still use screws and bolts through the slots.
Also, be happy. Because a 92mm reservoir mount would overlap the screw holes for the fan bracket where you mount the radiator.
2L5SwU4.jpg

Quick visit to hardware store, found screws and nuts that fit. Not a perfect fit. But it does the job.

This is the clearance using custom top. Of course with fitting (even 90 degree low profile) won't fit with graphics card installed. Bought these together with pump(pre-owned) which is really cheap. So now I'm looking at phobya which have side inlet/outlet. And i'm out of 90 degrees fittings. Another round of frozencpu order.

XEyY8EJ.jpg

Aquatuning.de told me the MCP35X is the same pump as the Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM.
And user Jakusonfire@OCN stated that all Swiftech do is put their own top on and a sticker.

Where did you see Swiftech is using a custom PCB?

Jakusonfire is more knowledgeable that I am. He could well be right that Swiftech don't make the PCB. It could be a custom order that Laing/Xylem makes for Swiftech. But in any case it is a different PCB to the stock DDC-1T+

As for the Aquatuning version with PWM. I've never tried it. What I do know is that Aquatuning did some aggressive trademark grabs (registering in Germany e.g. Swiftech, Koolance, Bitspower as their own brand). Since then Gabe doesn't sell the MCP35X to Aquatuning. For this reason they had to look for an alternative. It's possible they asked Laing "send us the same pump as you send to Swiftech", or it's possible that they just talk nonsense to the customers.

Thanx for sharing this.
I will then investigate a little more with Aquatuning as from what I see the MCP35X does 17.5 liter/min while the DDC 1T+ PWM does only 10 liter/min. I had some hard time finding specs of the Aquatuning PWM pump...

Still yet to build in my case, going to drill the mounting holes for my fan controller later on.
Any reason I shouldn't use the space at the front just above the I/O where the big cutout is?

Is anyone aware of a slot-load drive (dvd, bluray, doesn't matter) that fits the NCASE M1 that allows for quick but secure ripping of music cds with EAC (not burst mode)? This is for the purposes of backing up my music collection, which is large and continues to grow.

The UJ-265's ripping in secure mode is abysmally slow (25+ min) and I've resorted to using my old dvd drive externally on another comp in the interim (1-3 min). The difference is staggering, and I'm guessing this is mostly due to the fact that the UJ-265 has audio caching.

The UJ-265's ripping in secure mode is abysmally slow (25+ min) and I've resorted to using my old dvd drive externally on another comp in the interim (1-3 min). The difference is staggering, and I'm guessing this is mostly due to the fact that the UJ-265 has audio caching.

EAC's detection of caching drives appears to be not 100% accurate.

I'd take a quick read through this thread and try ripping both with and without the "drive caches audio data" box checked, before purchasing another drive..

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=26919

I've read such threads before, and the only time that EAC's detecting comes under question is if it says NO, at which point it should be cross referenced to Feurio. Haven't seen any cases of it saying YES that are wrong. As it stands, my initial tests pointed to the UJ-265 indeed having caching. I don't have it hooked up to an actual system at the moment (not using the M1 currently), so I cannot test via Feurio.

So... in case anyone else is actually considering trying to get a 295X2 into their M1 (as I am), I remembered reading a few years ago about a little device to help use two or more PSUs together... after much searching, I finally found it: http://www.add2psu.com/. So in theory, this could combine an SX600-G with an HDPLEX 250W PSU or similar solution. In theory, anyway.

I might just be brave (dumb?) enough to try it out...

I've read such threads before, and the only time that EAC's detecting comes under question is if it says NO, at which point it should be cross referenced to Feurio. Haven't seen any cases of it saying YES that are wrong. As it stands, my initial tests pointed to the UJ-265 indeed having caching. I don't have it hooked up to an actual system at the moment (not using the M1 currently), so I cannot test via Feurio.

Just tested out my UJ-265 using EAC v0.95b4 (from 2006, but what I had installed on another drive) on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. Track #1 "Speak To Me/Breathe" was 4:00:38 in length, and ripped at 1.5x, which took around 2.5 minutes (ripped direct to WAV on default settings).

EAC recognized my UJ-265 as having both C2 error info and accurate stream, but no audio cache.

Intel's Rapid Storage app shows the drive connected at SATA I speeds of 1.5Gbps w/firmware v1.0 installed. Something is a little weird, if we're getting opposite results like this. Maybe try another disc, different EAC settings, or a different SATA/power cable? Just some random ideas, but no idea what else it could be.

5RVGpvY.jpg
J6A4Ff8.jpg

Yesterday I dismantled my v1 case and it too had The Wobble when stripped. A little pressure on the corners like the video Wahaha360 (I believe) posted and it's gone.

Anyone have a recommended CPU cooler? I'm using VLP RAM and the ASUS z97i-plus

Last edited:
Anyone have a recommended CPU cooler? I'm using VLP RAM and the ASUS z97i-plus

If you want sub 60, Scythe Big Shuriken Rev B, Thermalright AXP-200. Any higher I'd recommend the Cryorig C1, Thermalright AXP-200, and probably the Noctua + Phanteks top-down coolers.

If you want sub 60, Scythe Big Shuriken Rev B, Thermalright AXP-200. Any higher I'd recommend the Cryorig C1, Thermalright AXP-200, and probably the Noctua + Phanteks top-down coolers.

Not sure about the others, but I don't think the AXP-200 will fit on an ASUS board inside the M1 in any orientation. The Noctua C14 is one of the larger top-down air coolers that will fit the M1 on an ASUS board (but will block use of 3.5" HDD on the side rack).

There's always the Scythe Kabuto 2 if you want the largest air cooler without blocking anything.

+1, thanks! Couldn't remember which Scythe cooler you had, and couldn't find your post again in the build thread.

While we're on the subject of coolers, is anyone using a Noctua NH-L12 with a 4790K? I'm considering the L12 over the C14 I originally planned on using because the C14 is uncomfortably huge, both size and mass wise. I'm only going to be running the thing at stock, so I don't see the CPU throttling or shutting down with an L12, but I also don't want the temps to be in the 80's or 90's under heavy load.

If anyone could post some temperatures that would be greatly appreciated. Some feedback regarding the noise would be great too!

Back