NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Thankfully the coolant in AIOs does not expand significantly at low pressure, and the plastic/rubber tubes will easily accept any tiny expansion in whatever little bit of air exists in the loop.

Air heatsink is more likely to be affected by vibration if you plan to fly often with it. But even then - if you screw if down properly it won't have enough momentum (weight) to damage the motherboard PCB.

I don't know about US airline security, but you should phone them and ask about water cooled PCs. You may be able to get some kind of letter from them that you can hand in at security that might save you some hassle.

I've always been wondering that as well, but I've been going around for 2 years with a Q08 system - granted, it's just a stock cooler - without much incident. I was told once by an agent that I should just take it out of my bag and, while it's a little awkward and probably strange or annoying to those in line behind me, it's far from difficult. Some of the TSA guys are even surprised or interested :p. I'm not worried about vibration so much as I am about leaks, so as long as the accelerometers I have on various bits of the PC aren't tripped, then it will be fine. They've never passed 3g, so...

I really don't see why you'd have any problems w/water-cooled M1 as carry-on, since the cabin is pressurized.

But I do wonder if your rig could be flagged if it contains a fluid amount above whatever their current restriction is (I imagine they might want to pop the side panel off to take a closer look if they notice "strange" liquid-filled tubing in the x-ray).

Probably less of a hassle to just check-in the M1 as luggage, but I'm not sure the cargo area is pressurized as well as the cabin. Plus, the way some of those guys toss around luggage loading and unloading.. I'd be a nervous wreck watching that.

I'd personally be more comfortable doing air-cooled w/solid-state drives only as a carry-on, if you're traveling a lot. But if airline & TSA are okay w/water-cooled rigs as carry-on, then go for it. Seems like a crap-shoot, though.

EDIT: Yeah, what WiSK just said :D

I don't know what the contents of the AIO coolant are, so I can't really know what sort of volume change will occur at any pressure, but pressure drop-off at in unpressurized areas at altitude is nearly 15-20% of that at MSL. Even cabin pressure isn't equalized to MSL, it's all the way at 8000 to 10000ft, maybe two or three planes being an exception to the rule. Oh, and I'll never - ever - check my computer in some baggage.

If anyone knows a TSA agent who knows a thing or two about computers, let me know...I'd like to ask how AIO coolers would work with them...or if it's worth the risk to begin with. ;)

so as long as the accelerometers I have on various bits of the PC aren't tripped, then it will be fine. They've never passed 3g, so...

Don't mean to pry, but are the accelerometers for your school work.. or maybe intrusion detection? Or just damage assessment during your travels?

And most importantly, how in the heck do you keep them powered inside a PC case during flight? Or are they more like shock-meters?

Color me intrigued.. :cool:

EDIT: Oh, and you might find this short thread helpful. Doesn't look promising..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282294-29-bringing-water-cooler-aircraft

Don't mean to pry, but are the accelerometers for your school work.. or maybe intrusion detection? Or just damage assessment during your travels?

And most importantly, how in the heck do you keep them powered inside a PC case during flight? Or are they more like shock-meters?

Color me intrigued.. :cool:

EDIT: Oh, and you might find this short thread helpful. Doesn't look promising..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282294-29-bringing-water-cooler-aircraft

A bit of the first and third, more the first though...It'd just an Arduino with an old, now retired sparkfun IMU powered by a 9v battery for the duration of the trip which writes to an SD card. Battery life is terrible for this kind of application, so it's basically a single battery per flight. I stick it in the 5.25 bay with some velcro so I can take it out. Might have to rethink it for coming flights or skip it altogether with the M1 (no space for it!).

EDIT: Oh, and I say "various bits," but that's outdated. I had a second IMU taped to the video card for two flights to see if there was any difference when sticking air packing bubbles under it to prevent any movement. Barely a difference, if anyone cares to know.

It seems closed to me, for more than a week now. I don't know what you're upset about.

Pretty sure it's not closed. I tried adding an M1 to cart and it immediately jumped me to PayPal for payment. Oddly, the PayPal shopping cart was listed under LEXIAO USA instead of NCASES, though.. not sure what's up with that.

I'm guessing Wahaha PM'd Danny the "M1LateOrder" link, and he posted it here for Gameaholic. Maybe he ordered extra, or hasn't submitted the orders to Lian Li yet?

A bit of the first and third, more the first though...

That's a pretty cool idea, thanks for the info!

3rd prototype?

The 3rd prototype is supposed to be the completed production model they received a couple of weeks back from Lian Li. This is supposed to be the final model we all get. I would like to see some pictures of it as well, especially a good back shot where the fan and tubes go, and would like to know if there were any problems that prevented it from being the final version for production. I am also wondering if the order has been submitted yet to Lian Li and where we are on their schedule. This Information would be appreciated by all I'm sure.

I guess you guys probably wouldn't mind an update, huh? Since the design is finalized and my part is basically done, I kind of felt like taking some time away from thinking and worrying about it for a while. Working on it for the better part of a year and dealing with every aspect of it - seeing the flaws and compromises that had to be made, wondering if you made the right choices, all the 'will it fit' questions, the criticisms - it can leave one a bit weary. With the design details finished, I've fulfilled my responsibility; it's up to LL and w360 to actually get these things produced and delivered to you guys.

I've had the third sample in my possession for the last couple of weeks. The panels are laser cut, except for the ODD slot (an oversight on LL's part; it will be corrected for production). It looks essentially the same as the previous samples, aside from some minor differences. I can see about taking some pics, though my lighting setup doesn't lend itself to good quality (as you've seen in the test pics). I thought about taking it outside to get some good natural light pics, but it's been raining here lately. W360 mentioned getting ahold of a 4k monitor to take pics with, and M4rk volunteered ages ago to take some nice photos. Up to him though, really. We'll see.

I haven't actually talked to w360 much lately - he may be travelling again. He messaged me briefly yesterday while he was at MakerFaire, which is where he talked to some Asus reps about their 4k monitor.

The 3rd prototype is supposed to be the completed production model they received a couple of weeks back from Lian Li. This is supposed to be the final model we all get. I would like to see some pictures of it as well, especially a good back shot where the fan and tubes go, and would like to know if there were any problems that prevented it from being the final version for production. I am also wondering if the order has been submitted yet to Lian Li and where we are on their schedule. This Information would be appreciated by all I'm sure.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier - like I said, I kind of felt like not dealing with the M1 for a bit :p But yeah, the back panel is final and still the same as the drawing I sent you. i just checked your model and the fit looks fine.

If anyone's curious, Adamantium is working on a design for a res that's custom-made for the rear mount on the M1.

Photos of the third prototype would have to come from Necere, he has it.

We are on schedule for Jan 2014 delivery.

However, I have not ordered from Lian Li yet b/c:

1) M1 takes 40D to produce. Since we are shipping from Taiwan to backers, we could theoretically order by NOV2013 and still make JAN2014 delivery.

2) Factory on break for Mid-Autumn Festival, nothing will happen until tomorrow.

3) Talking to Taiwan EMS in few hours about Shipping, Duty & VAT.

4) Need more time to check & verify shipping addresses.

I need a online database so that people can sign in and check their order, shipping address and tracking number (if anyone has a suggestion, do share).

5) I'm trying to figure out what I can and cannot do to help people minimize Duty / VAT for backers. I suppose milkcow would have something to say about it.

Once I order from LL, the clock starts ticking. I still have many questions about logistics, I don't want to rush it.

1) M1 takes 40D to produce. Since we are shipping from Taiwan to backers, we could theoretically order by NOV2013 and still make JAN2014 delivery.

I thought you said the reason you were having them shipped to backers direct from Taiwan, was so that we could get them sooner than January??

Would kind of suck to have to deal with both import fees & delays, without any benefit of actually getting the case sooner than expected imo.

Pretty sure it's not closed. I tried adding an M1 to cart and it immediately jumped me to PayPal for payment. Oddly, the PayPal shopping cart was listed under LEXIAO USA instead of NCASES, though.. not sure what's up with that.

I'm guessing Wahaha PM'd Danny the "M1LateOrder" link, and he posted it here for Gameaholic. Maybe he ordered extra, or hasn't submitted the orders to Lian Li yet?

That's a pretty cool idea, thanks for the info!

No, I sent an email to NCASE, and they gave me a link.

Sorry- noobie here-
what's a res?

Res = reservoir; for PC water cooling:
  • Provides a reserve volume of water to make up for losses that can occur over time
  • Allow for expansion and contraction of the water volume (minimal)
  • Can serve as an air-trap to help remove air bubbles from the system
  • Provides an easily accessed fill point
  • Can help reduce NPSH (Net Positive Suction Head) of the pump
  • Submerged pump may run quieter and cooler

I thought you said the reason you were having them shipped to backers direct from Taiwan, was so that we could get them sooner than January??

Would kind of suck to have to deal with both import fees & delays, without any benefit of actually getting the case sooner than expected imo.

Shipping from Taiwan directly to end backers will be faster than shipping to US then to everyone.

Am I hearing sooner than January? Maybe?

Seems like that was what he was thinking a few days ago, but would be impossible if he decides to delay placing the order w/Lian Li until November (if logistics still aren't in place).

I'm considering a trip to Taiwan to ship M1s to backers.

This could minimize Delivery Time, VAT and Tariff for everyone, plus I don't mind getting my M1 by Xmas :p

If the order is placed tomorrow, the cases should be ready to ship from Taiwan starting Nov 2nd, which should be enough time for backers to get their cases before Christmas / New Year day (that's roughly allowing 3 to 4 weeks for packaging, shipping & delivery).

If the order is delayed until November, then we probably won't see any cases until mid to late January, I'd imagine.

Shipping from Taiwan directly to end backers will be faster than shipping to US then to everyone.

The only real problem I see with that, is that if there is somekinda problem with a shipment (and there most definetly will be at least one), it might not be that easy to handle from the us (i.e. getting refund / shipping insurance), unless of course you use a service provider who also has an office in the us and accepts complains there aswell

Wait a second, have I completely missed the chance to buy it? :(

//Sweden

Spoke with Necere, We are no longer taking orders.

The late order was originally created for "prototype backers" that missed the production campaign.

EMAIL ERROR CLARIFICATION

Among all the M1 order verification emails sent, a total of 4 people received the wrong shipping address of one person.

For that one person's address sent to these 4 people. I apologize for the mistake.

Necere was concerned about the scope of the mistake. I just wanted to clarify.

EMAIL ERROR CLARIFICATION

Among all the M1 order verification emails sent, a total of 4 people received the wrong shipping address of one person.

For that one person's address sent to these 4 people. I apologize for the mistake.

Necere was concerned about the scope of the mistake. I just wanted to clarify.

I haven't received an email verification yet... placed my order with the lateorder link you provided last week. Will I still receive a case?

ABOUT THE DELAY PLACING ORDER WITH LIAN LI

PayPal Risk Management (same manager that issued the refunds) contacted me. They needed some paperwork from myself, company and Lian Li before I can withdraw all the funds.

I was able to withdraw enough to pay for Lian Li's order, but now the bank wants to verify a few things before they authorize the T/T to Lian Li.

Lian Li is aware. I didn't disclose this earlier because I didn't want to create a false alarm, and didn't have a chance to talk with Necere.

In any case, I knew earlier that things can and will go wrong, so the Jan 2014 delivery date just makes more sense.

Last edited:
It's understandable that everyone is excited to receive their case, but don't let it get to you. You've both done a great job and it's very inspiring that you have taken on such a big task just the two of you.

/respect

Back