NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I can't seem to follow this one. How does the AC inlet (top of the case) have an impact on the GPU cooling (bottom of the case) ?
Moving the AC inlet allows the fan bracket to be moved up:

But in the alternate location it can interfere big air coolers, ao you choose based on your setup.

My first post here, but I've been following this project for several months now. Wish I had gotten the chance to contribute to the original campaign. I plan on building my new desktop in November, and I've been changing my mind left and right on what it is I want. I'm a bit terrified by actually trying to put together an ITX build, as I get plenty stressed out as it is with mid-towers. So while yesterday I was sure that I was going with a Corsair 350d and mATX build, today I'm back on the M1 bandwagon.

With that in mind I am curious about 1 or 2 things.

From what I've read, I won't be able to re-purpose my htpc PSU the Strider ST50F-P if I want to have a GTX 770 in the M1. Is that true? or is there a 770 that will fit with PSU?

Assuming I do have to get a smaller PSU, it sounds like everyone is recommending the ST45SF-G. Is the Gold really needed vs. a Bronze model? FWIW, I'm not really an enthusiast and don't intend on designing my build with overclocking in mind (i.e. no watercooling). Will the non-modular Bronze be easier to build with than the modular gold given the size of the case?

And regarding the GTX 770, reading through the thread its been suggested that the Titan-like cooler (like this one) is the highest recommended. But I've never bought a $400 video card (previously in the $250-$300 range) so I'm hesitant to pay a huge premium for optimal cooler design. Would this Gigabyte Windforce get too hot? Or would this EVGA SC be better for this particular case?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I've read, I won't be able to re-purpose my htpc PSU the Strider ST50F-P if I want to have a GTX 770 in the M1. Is that true? or is there a 770 that will fit with PSU?

As of right now, there's no GTX 770 available with a shorter PCB... afaik.
So I guess that's a no. I don't remember the maximum measurements for an ATX PSU acompanied by a long PCB card in this case.
I've come to the conclusion that I have to bite the apple and buy a 670 (for the setup I'm planning).
But I believe that's plenty of powerrrr... at least that's what I tell myself.

From what I've read, I won't be able to re-purpose my htpc PSU the Strider ST50F-P if I want to have a GTX 770 in the M1. Is that true?
The problem with that PSU is the 140mm length in combination with it being modular. Modular adds ~20mm because of the plugs and then you'll need to worry about stuffing the cables somewhere. Although an ATX PSU is possible, it's not recommended.

or is there a 770 that will fit with PSU?
No and there probably won't be. Asus released a short GTX 670 and they could also release a short GTX 760 because it's basically "the same card". I'd like it too if there was more choice in the short cards department.

Assuming I do have to get a smaller PSU, it sounds like everyone is recommending the ST45SF-G. Is the Gold really needed vs. a Bronze model? FWIW, I'm not really an enthusiast and don't intend on designing my build with overclocking in mind (i.e. no watercooling). Will the non-modular Bronze be easier to build with than the modular gold given the size of the case?
The 80+ Gold vs 80+ Bronze is a bigger choice when it depends what you want to do with it. The Gold is modular and allows to make custom cables without breaking your PSU open. The noise problem with the Gold version has been tackled with the v2.0 revision (sticker on the box) and the rated power output is about the same, just slightly higher power draw from the wall for the Bronze version.

And regarding the GTX 770, reading through the thread its been suggested that the Titan-like cooler (like this one) is the highest recommended. But I've never bought a $400 video card (previously in the $250-$300 range) so I'm hesitant to pay a huge premium for optimal cooler design. Would this Gigabyte Windforce get too hot? Or would this EVGA SC be better for this particular case?
For the Ncase it is indeed preferable to use a blower-style cooler, but I've been looking into a Titan-cooler-equiped GTX 770 myself and I'm better off buying a GTX 780, because of the insane prices. But I've read that the EVGA is actually a Titan-cooler heatsink with a different shroud, so if you can get it, go for it.

But an open-style cooler is not prefered (but still possible) because you might run into temperature problems after extended periods of gaming or experience a lot more noise.

Thanks for the feedback. I think i'll probably be fine w/ the 80+bronze and it sounds like the EVGA SC will be the way to go.

But an open-style cooler is not prefered (but still possible) because you might run into temperature problems after extended periods of gaming or experience a lot more noise.

What about MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr, acording to reviews one of thee best all around -particularly heat and noise-, or any open-style would give issues?

What about MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr, acording to reviews one of thee best all around -particularly heat and noise-, or any open-style would give issues?

The issue isn't the card getting hot, its all the additional heat being pumped around the case.

Made-up numbers to prove a point incoming:

A blower style card will pump 90% of the heat it generates OUT of the case.
An open fan card, even if it has a gap in the pcie bracket, will pump 90% of the heat it generates INTO the case.

Open style coolers will work but expect to see higher CPU temps and possibly a warmer running PSU. A blower style card may run hotter itself but the overall system, especially in a smaller case, will be cooler.

Man I hope that the new generation GPUs will have at least 4GB of VRAM. There isn't any reference GTX 770 (with Titan blower) that have 4GB of VRAM that can FIT in the NCASE M1.

egkj.jpg

Man I hope that the new generation GPUs will have at least 4GB of VRAM. There isn't any reference GTX 770 (with Titan blower) that have 4GB of VRAM that can FIT in the NCASE M1.
Isn't that superfluous most of the time ? >3GB VRAM seems to only be needed for a few games at higher than Full-HD resolution with high AA and everything set to the highest settings. Something the GTX 770 is problably not going to handle anyway.

Isn't that superfluous most of the time ? >3GB VRAM seems to only be needed for a few games at higher than Full-HD resolution with high AA and everything set to the highest settings. Something the GTX 770 is problably not going to handle anyway.

My monitor is a 1440p. I'm going to need more then the 2GB.

Than you should buy a GTX 780 or a Titan, as you are obviously aware that such a monitor requires a much better GPU because of it's 75% higher pixel count.

People tend to overstate the memory requirements of high-resolution displays. A 2560x1440 display will generally require about 75% more memory for its buffers — be they frame buffers, g-buffers or whatever — than a 1920x1080 display, but when you're talking about a resolution-dependent memory requirement of what is typically less than 100MB for all of that at 1920x1080, it's not an Earth-shattering amount of additional memory.

Yeah, I actually bought my 1440p monitor 4 months before I'll probably be building my new computer. And from what I've read, there is a lot of disagreement on the VRAM needed. I think the various benchmarks I've seen on 2GB GTX 770s at ultra 1440p settings is enough for me to not be overly worried.

I'm not someone that will load super-custom textures in Oblivion, and I'm used to making the occasional sacrifices w/ AA. So I think the 2GB 770 will be enough for me. When later games start punishing that card in a few years, I'm guessing I won't regret having not gotten the 4GB variety, but instead will simply consider stepping up to the new "standard" of 3GB that will be in place by then.

Based on what? I don't feel the need for more than 2GB with 2560x1600.
My buddy has a Gtx 680 2gb and his memory reaches 100percent in planetside gaming at 2560x1440. Granted he's still getting 60+ frames but i just thought I should mention it.

My buddy has a Gtx 680 2gb and his memory reaches 100percent in planetside gaming at 2560x1440. Granted he's still getting 60+ frames but i just thought I should mention it.

LCDs typically only refresh at 60Hz, so any improvement wouldn't make any difference. The extra frames are discarded. Also, Planetside 2 is noted for being poorly optimized.

Greetings! Like a few others, I've missed the prototype / early ship campaign and have been impatiently waiting for the production phase to begin =)

I've noticed the past month or so that this thread has consistently been receiving thousands of views each day (I've read the entire thread myself, and check it daily probably 20 times). I'm just wondering if there's going to be a set limit of total orders, or if Wahaha will be able to handle all the shipments if total orders exceed the originally expected 300-500 cases and would happen to start climbing into the thousands?

Also, I was originally planning on using an H60 on 4770k (mild to no overclock) but have lately been leaning towards having a side F12 blowing towards another F12 on a heatsink like the Thermalright AXP-100 or Prolimatech Samuel 17, but I'm concerned that such a low heatsink with the Asus VRM daughterboard would leave all the heat trapped against the motherboard (or if they're even up to cooling a 4770). Most other taller heatsinks either won't fit the Asus board in the M1 or block the side HDD cage, which I will be using. I remember Necere mentioning that the Noctua C12 might fit, though it's listed as 114mm tall with fan.. so I'm not sure how that would work in 105mm of space.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Greetings! Like a few others, I've missed the prototype / early ship campaign and have been impatiently waiting for the production phase to begin =)

I've noticed the past month or so that this thread has consistently been receiving thousands of views each day (I've read the entire thread myself, and check it daily probably 20 times). I'm just wondering if there's going to be a set limit of total orders, or if Wahaha will be able to handle all the shipments if total orders exceed the originally expected 300-500 cases and would happen to start climbing into the thousands?
!
If you read it you would know he will be doing a production run based on the number of cases ordered. Everyone who orders one will get one.

I remember Necere mentioning that the Noctua C12 might fit, though it's listed as 114mm tall with fan.. so I'm not sure how that would work in 105mm of space.
There's actually ~135mm available without the fan bracket in place. The fan bracket takes up ~5mm, so ~130mm with it. The 105mm height is what you have left if you install a fan on the fan bracket. So you can either use a fan attached to the bracket or to the top of the heatsink. Either way, the NH-C12 is an easy fit since the heatsink itself is only 90mm tall.

If you read it you would know he will be doing a production run based on the number of cases ordered. Everyone who orders one will get one.
Actually, there will be a cap on the number available. It will be more than 500 but probably less than "thousands." We have to keep it manageable.

There's actually ~135mm available without the fan bracket in place. The fan bracket takes up ~5mm, so ~130mm with it. The 105mm height is what you have left if you install a fan on the fan bracket. So you can either use a fan attached to the bracket or to the top of the heatsink. Either way, the NH-C12 is an easy fit since the heatsink itself is only 90mm tall.

Actually, there will be a cap on the number available. It will be more than 500 but probably less than "thousands." We have to keep it manageable.

Understood, crossing my fingers I can get one. Thanks Necere!

Thank you, that helps out a lot!

That's what I was afraid of. Really, really hoping I'm able to get one if the demand turns out to be too high.. thanks again!

If demand is too high, I would be very happy for Necere and Wahaha360, as the project would have been a HUGE success. It would hopefully mean more to come, but let's not get ahead of "ourselves" (Necere and Wahaha360).

Wait what :eek: ... So is there any way to get immediate notification when the campaign starts? :D

When I try to "follow" I get the following error.
Error: Invalid spinner. Please try again

Both Chrome and IE.

Seems to go through. Now says email has been taken.

'Follow' the previous campaign on IGG. Though I think we'll give our previous backers first dibs.

To you have any estimates like 'the campaign will start in the next 3 weeks' or 'the campaign won't start in august' :rolleyes:

When I try to "follow" I get the following error.
Error: Invalid spinner. Please try again

Both Chrome and IE.

Seems to go through. Now says email has been taken.
Sounds like the site is having issues but it went through the first time anyway, or you've signed up to IGG before?

To you have any estimates like 'the campaign will start in the next 3 weeks' or 'the campaign won't start in august' :rolleyes:
It will be up this month.

Sounds like the site is having issues but it went through the first time anyway, or you've signed up to IGG before?

It will be up this month.

Awesome, didn't know about the follow, but now I'm following the original campaign. Also great news to know that it should be up this month.

I know there has been A LOT of discussion on builds, but I'm incredibly anxious for the cases to actually get into the hands of folks and get a better idea of what works and what doesn't (what's difficult, what's easy), for those like myself that are a little less build-savvy. For instance, I've literally never used an aftermarket CPU cooler so I wouldn't know where to start with this case.

You can use the standard CPU cooler and wait until you come across someone that has the same motherboard and this case, then you can figure out which fits and which don't.

Back