NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Wicked! Time for me to get a new backdrop, going to be fun to photograph this thing in style.

just have to say this....

very epic case... would love to buy one when it's out... even if the shipping kills me
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

I heared there is only a black version of the case, so no white :p ( anodized black ... i can remember it was mentioned some pages before)

I gotta say, it looks great so far. Makes me wish I bought a prototype. Waiting is going to be hard :eek:

Hi all. First time poster here. I joined as I'm getting ready to build a new system and have been looking for a SFF case for awhile. I was wondering if it was too late to get in on the ordering for the first or second batch? I missed the Indiegogo opportunity it seems.

I heared there is only a black version of the case, so no white :p ( anodized black ... i can remember it was mentioned some pages before)
Right. The plan as of now is just to offer a single version of the case - otherwise it could turn into a logistical headache. We're trying to keep the number of variables to a minimum so things go as smoothly as possible.

Hi all. First time poster here. I joined as I'm getting ready to build a new system and have been looking for a SFF case for awhile. I was wondering if it was too late to get in on the ordering for the first or second batch? I missed the Indiegogo opportunity it seems.
Nope, not too late. From the update a few days ago:
Remember, if you missed getting in on early shipping, you’ll still be able to participate in the production campaign to get a case (just a bit later than those on the early ship list).

pssh weren't we originally going to just have like a limited 300 case run :p

Not all those on the wait list will back the production. Some people just wanted to help us.

Until we reach 300 on the production run, we don't know.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but anyone have recommendations on the best mini-ATX boards?

I know about the higher-end Asus, but it is mighty pricey and I won't use the wireless + other features. It also has the very large daughter board and the CPU socket is on the left. The reason this matters is I'm also building a server in a Streamcom EVO 5 which typically uses heatpipes from the left. I'd like to use the same board for my server & desktop planned with the M1 case.

Any word on Haswell mini ATX boards? If I should start my own thread let me know.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but anyone have recommendations on the best mini-ATX boards?

I know about the higher-end Asus, but it is mighty pricey and I won't use the wireless + other features. It also has the very large daughter board and the CPU socket is on the left. The reason this matters is I'm also building a server in a Streamcom EVO 5 which typically uses heatpipes from the left. I'd like to use the same board for my server & desktop planned with the M1 case.

Any word on Haswell mini ATX boards? If I should start my own thread let me know.

yeah definitely start your own thread or check out the one that already exists (its either in the motherboard or the sff subforum). also, youre looking for mini-ITX, not mini-ATX which isnt a thing. :)

on topic, that is totally badass. i love it. i cant wait to see it packed with hardware!

Wooohooo! The Lian Li guys are kinda fast at prototyping ;) Gooooooooooooooooooooood!

I don't want to derail the topic, so I'll be short: your question is not very simple to answer. "Best", in this form factor, will depend on the cooling you plan to use, hardware AND case. Keep in mind that every mITX out there has the socket placed in a different spot, which means that selecting a motherboard is not as easy as it is in other form factors.

About your haswell question... this should clarify:

13_px400.jpg

Keep in mind, though, that on that particular Asrock Z87 (that's from Cebit, I think) the socket placement is very different.

Another mITX Z87 tease... from Asus (with GTX670 mini :D ).

gtx670directcu-mini-11-545x369.jpg

Another mITX Z87 tease... from Asus (with GTX670 mini :D ).

gtx670directcu-mini-11-545x369.jpg

That card looks super nice, perfect for a build like this. And no sacrifice on performance either, they just cut down on size.

I assume the current generation of GeForce 670 waterblocks won't fit that card? So unless a custom block is made for it (unlikely?), this card rules out GPU WCing, or at least cooling of GPU, VRM and memory with a cover-all block.. Sad.

I take back my comments about this not being suited for HTPC use.

I've been playing castle crashers and dungeon defends 4p local co-op on my HTPC, and if HTPC gaming really takes off I'll be using this case the build a steam box.

That card looks super nice, perfect for a build like this. And no sacrifice on performance either, they just cut down on size.

I assume the current generation of GeForce 670 waterblocks won't fit that card? So unless a custom block is made for it (unlikely?), this card rules out GPU WCing, or at least cooling of GPU, VRM and memory with a cover-all block.. Sad.

The PCB of the GTX670 was always this small, nothing new here except the 8-pin PCIe connector instead of 2x6-pin.

If you are going to watercool, why not get any of the stock GTX670's with the stock 670 PCB, which is exactly as long as this one ?

The PCB of the GTX670 was always this small, nothing new here except the 8-pin PCIe connector instead of 2x6-pin.

Well it seems like some manufacturers are using GTX 680 PCB's for 670's and also the coolers are generally much longer which means you have a longer card anyways even on a short PCB. To have a card that is short with a short cooler is a bit more rare.

Man, I am so stoked about this case. I want to do a Haswell build in it, use one opf my 7970's, get 1-2 840 Pro's, and also get something like this for storage. I would like to stay all 2.5" ... but I don't know.

Would we have to crowdfund a mDTX motherboard to get one or will the manufactures realise that its quite a nice format?

Asus shoulld take Maximus series down a step in size and mDTX would be nice or how come no modern cards are made in this format?

Would we have to crowdfund a mDTX motherboard to get one or will the manufactures realise that its quite a nice format?

Asus shoulld take Maximus series down a step in size and mDTX would be nice or how come no modern cards are made in this format?

I don't think the demand is there, which is probably why DTX never caught on. Most people just need 1 PCIe slot for a GPU, and use onboard sound.

Oh great news! I'll be getting a regular 670 with a WC block then.

If I understand it correctly, a WCed 670 should leave room behind the PCB for a fullsize ATX PSU. But that PSU will take up space needed for the radiator+fans on the side-cover, so if I wanna WC I need an SFX PSU (given I want to use a dual 120mm rad).

Am I right?

A great thing about this is that it's all aluminum. If you don't like the color then you can get it anodized in whatever color you like... Just not stock.

Oh great news! I'll be getting a regular 670 with a WC block then.

If I understand it correctly, a WCed 670 should leave room behind the PCB for a fullsize ATX PSU. But that PSU will take up space needed for the radiator+fans on the side-cover, so if I wanna WC I need an SFX PSU (given I want to use a dual 120mm rad).

Am I right?

Correct. Go watercool / aqua for the block ;)

A great thing about this is that it's all aluminum. If you don't like the color then you can get it anodized in whatever color you like... Just not stock.

Anodizing can be affordable or uber expensive depending on where you live. Brite Anodizing isn't easy to come by.
I live in Miami, so it's uber expensive. Powdercoating is the only sensible option and that still reaches $80-200, depending upon the finish and number of parts.

I understand more why Lian Li cases cost so much for certain models i.e. X2000FN. The anodized finish boosts the price immensely.

I love living 15mins away from a pioneer metal finishing branch in Oregon. I got my Lian li full-tower bright-dipped blue for less than $80 total.

Even with all the funding are you still thinking august for first batch shipping?

Even with all the funding are you still thinking august for first batch shipping?

Yeah. The extra funds are going to help make for a better tested, more refined end product, but won't necessarily mean it'll be ready to ship any sooner. Some things just take a certain amount of time. Beside, we'd rather under-promise and over-deliver than vice-versa.

Back