NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Would you get use out of having 4 front USB rather than just the two that are currently there? As small as the case is, it's not really that much trouble to get at the rear ports.

I think enough people use front audio that's it's worthwhile to keep them.

I think it boils down to personal preference with the front audio-less panel having some utility for those that are trying to use the 3rd expansion slot for a sound card, vs having jacks that are never used on the front. I agree that a good amount of people probably use them, but I would bet a not-insignificant number wouldn't use them, either.

For instance, it might be prudent to have a 4 USB option on the kickstarter, or a version with FireWire/Thunderbolt.

How viable is it to have some flexibility on the front panel in terms of connectivity options? Would it be more hassle than it's worth? For myself, it would probably be worth it to get a $5-10 option if it was available.

For myself, it would probably be worth it to get a $5-10 option if it was available.

As an audiophile, I share your sentiment, but as of right now, it's economically impractical to offer multiple I/O options.

The I/O is not modular. To accommodate your specs = making a new one in addition to the existing one.

For example:
ADD $1000-$1500 for custom I/O tooling
ADD cost per unit
ADD shipping, tariff, inventory costs
ADD PREMIUM INSURANCE (allow us to refund payments if things go wrong)
ADD Kickstarter / Indiegogo 4-5% fee + 3-5% credit card / bank transaction fee

Unless you can get 300 people to buy into this I/O with you, $5-$10 for such option is not enough

As an audiophile, I share your sentiment, but as of right now, it's economically impractical to offer multiple I/O options.

The I/O is not modular. To accommodate your specs = making a new one in addition to the existing one.

For example:
ADD $1000-$1500 for custom I/O tooling
ADD cost per unit
ADD shipping, tariff, inventory costs
ADD PREMIUM INSURANCE (allow us to refund payments if things go wrong)
ADD Kickstarter / Indiegogo 4-5% fee + 3-5% credit card / bank transaction fee

Unless you can get 300 people to buy into this I/O with you, $5-$10 for such option is not enough

Makes less sense when put into that perspective, I was just tossing it out there.

Why not place the mic/hp jacks on one side of the front bezel, making room in front for two additional usb ports.

Last edited:
Makes less sense when put into that perspective, I was just tossing it out there.

It's a fair question.

In fact, Necere and I had previously discussed about modular I/O, the problems were 1) cost and 2) intellectual property.

Aside from the cost to manufacture, modular I/O for PC is heavily patented in the US, where we are located. Unless we are 100% sure the manufacture has the proper license to produce it for us, there are uncertainties about legal liabilities.

Have you guys a finalized design yet?

Or are things still being modified? I've read lots of suggestions the last few pages, I'm just wondering what stage the project has reached.

Completed
- prototype design, v4.3
- price quote from LL

Upcoming
- price quote from SS
- finalize product name
- create website
- create Indiegogo campaign to raise funding for prototype

Fear not, if I fall off the face of the earth, Necere will still be around :p

Completed
- prototype design, v4.3
- price quote from LL

Upcoming
- price quote from SS
- finalize product name
- create website
- create Indiegogo campaign to raise funding for prototype

Fear not, if I fall off the face of the earth, Necere will still be around :p

You guys have a prototype?

And a quote from LL?

Is...is there hope? Or is it expensive?

The most recent design, v4.3, with ATX PSU compatibility, is suppose to be both production and economically viable.

You guys have a prototype?
And a quote from LL?
Is...is there hope? Or is it expensive?

Not sure how to soften the blow, but it's going to cost between $100-$200.

We won't have an exact number until I haven't finish planning for:
1) Indiegogo fees + prototype costs
2) prototype testing cost (sending to review websites)
3) final product packaging
4) shipping to warehouse (Taiwan to USA)
5) import duty
6) insurance
7) delivery costs to end supporters
8) Kickstarter fees + credit fees for final product campaign.

Sub $200 is acceptable to me. About what I was figuring for such a boutique/niche case.

Shoot for ~$200 it sounds like LL case pricing for something made/designed by them.if it can be had for less then all the better :cool:

Shoot for ~$200 it sounds like LL case pricing for something made/designed by them.if it can be had for less then all the better :cool:

I can assure you, we are pretty serious about bringing down the price.

We need at least 300 backers, which is a lot of people, and > $160 is likely too much for a lot people. If we can get to 500 backers, there is jump in cost saving, then we can really get the cost down.

Last edited:
I was considering paying much more than $200 for something nice anyhow, so whatever the cost turns out to be in the end is just frosting on the aluminum cake.

I was considering paying much more than $200 for something nice anyhow, so whatever the cost turns out to be in the end is just frosting on the aluminum cake.

Same here, I was planning on backing basically no matter what. This case is much too well suited for me to skip it.

Literally no other case on the market offers such watercooling capability in anywhere near as small a package that I am aware of.

Plus I already have an apogee drive 2, rads and a reservoir that should fit perfect.

We need at least 300 backers, which is a lot of people, and > $160 is likely too much for a lot people. If we can get to 500 backers, there is jump in cost saving, then we can really get the cost down.

i think 300 can be done. as soon as things get finalized i'm sure a lot of people will start posting your design on other forums etc.
think free advertisement :)

I can assure you, we are pretty serious about bringing down the price.

300 won't be too hard. I might even pick one up if it's not too bad price wise.

300 backers sounds easy until you're 12 hours away from the deadline, 25 backers from the cutoff and you've run out of tubing to gnaw on because you ate two feet in the last 6 hours. :D

I am pretty sure I will be in for one, even if I am not truly in need of one. I love the design, and I love that it shows the big companies that there is a market for decent mitx cases. I really think one of the reasons mitx hasnt caught on in a big way, is the lack of well designed enthusiast cases.
Besides, buying one is an excuse to build another computer :)

Most people using higher quality sound cards won't go near a front panel if they care about noise.
It would be more correct to say that most people using higher quality sound cards won't go near a badly designed front panel.

I've always tried to connect the FP audio, always got terrible noise, and always thought it was interference getting through the long internal cable. Then I read that Antec (I always used Antec cases) consistently screwed up the FP design by joining audio and USB earth wires, which is what creates the noise.

My next case was an early Silverstone FT02 with the USB 2.0 FP. Less noise than Antec, but would increase in tune with case fan speed, so I gave up on that too. Then I upgraded the front panel to Silverstone's USB 3.0 unit. This has USB clearly physically separated from the audio jacks, so I figured I would give it a final shot.

With the new USB 3.0 front panel connected to an Essence ST there is no interference whatsoever. None. No discernible difference in any way from the back panel.

It would be more correct to say that most people using higher quality sound cards won't go near a badly designed front panel.

I've always tried to connect the FP audio, always got terrible noise, and always thought it was interference getting through the long internal cable. Then I read that Antec (I always used Antec cases) consistently screwed up the FP design by joining audio and USB earth wires, which is what creates the noise.

My next case was an early Silverstone FT02 with the USB 2.0 FP. Less noise than Antec, but would increase in tune with case fan speed, so I gave up on that too. Then I upgraded the front panel to Silverstone's USB 3.0 unit. This has USB clearly physically separated from the audio jacks, so I figured I would give it a final shot.

With the new USB 3.0 front panel connected to an Essence ST there is no interference whatsoever. None. No discernible difference in any way from the back panel.
Shielded wires can have something to do with this too, though probably to a negligible extent due to the short length wire run.

300 backers sounds easy until you're 12 hours away from the deadline, 25 backers from the cutoff and you've run out of tubing to gnaw on because you ate two feet in the last 6 hours. :D

SilverStone has offered us minimum order of 200, which is awesome. That's something we are also exploring.

Is the case going to be all aluminum?

We requested an all aluminum build for quote and very much prefer all aluminum.

However, for less quantity, we probably have to pay a higher price, that's the trade-off.

If the price doesn't make sense, maybe a combo design where the outer panels are aluminum and 0.8mm SECC chasis (FT02 use 0.8mm SECC)

For the record...

SilverStone, particularly Tony has been pretty awesome communicating us and we are pretty excited about exploring design options with them.

We requested an all aluminum build for quote and very much prefer all aluminum.

However, for less quantity, we probably have to pay a higher price, that's the trade-off.

If the price doesn't make sense, maybe a combo design where the outer panels are aluminum and 0.8mm SECC chasis (FT02 use 0.8mm SECC)

I prefer all aluminum myself, which is why I ask. I don't think I'd pay that much for a case that was made from steel.

Presenting the NCASE M1.

V4nW0.jpg

aqe1G.jpg

it is so sexyy!

i am about to bit on an SG08, but would buy one of these if i could and it was out! but i need a case like now, now would buy one of those to replace this easily!

I know personally myself, I would only be interested in it if it had a steel frame. I own both a LianLi PC-V351 and a Silverstone SG04b-f and I prefer the sturdiness of the Silverstone. If I am going to pay up to $200, I want something solid when everything is installed.

A quick question, did you end up removing the air intakes from the front sides or did you just not render them in the lastest pictures?

i'm in agreement with that. i like something to feel sturdy, not flimsy.

ps. curious if you found a solution to the top ventilation holes ?

You could make the case out of Unobtanium and I'd still buy it just so another gets made. And another. And another. And then an M4 case, which is the last case I'll ever use. :3

I'm not even a SFF fan and this has me intrigued. Lets get it funded. Any updates on the indiegogo or kickstarter campaign?

Wow. Looks great in that render. Name isn't bad, either.

When do you guys think (if you plan to) you'll have a prototype?

Saw the last page, jumped to the first page.. Best wishes in getting this project off the ground. I'm eagerly anticipating the first review.

What are the final dimensions?

[Edit] Sorry, just seen the first page. :eek:

Well, if the likes of the Corsair H6O/Antec Kuhler H2O-620 fit then you can put me down for one as well, as long as the price is reasonably sensible. :p

Last edited:
Back