NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Since we are talking air coolers: I have my NH-C14 but I am waiting on my case to arrive and the Corsair PSU to be for sale.

I was planning to do something like this:
AP0C5qh.jpg

smaller fan on bottom

Which Ncase version do you have? I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home and see if it's actually too low or too high, I forget which direction it was off.

I have V2 version. Here's a picture of the misaligned board.

85C4wil.jpg

In another case, the same motherboard fits perfectly.

1eHoTYf.jpg

And yet another case.

XCatqTk.jpg

I have to say I feel quite depressed about the misalignment, since the Ncase otherwise was bought with "perfection" in mind, having bought other accessories to it too. At the moment I have to assume it's a defect with the case, given the motherboard fits perfectly in other cases, and I don't have another motherboard to compare with. But I will use a spirit level once get hold of one...

Last edited:
^ the alingement doesn't look to bad from the pics, but not sure if it's just the pics.

Can you not screw down the MB into the case? Or are ports blocked due to the misalignment ?

Since we are talking air coolers: I have my NH-C14 but I am waiting on my case to arrive and the Corsair PSU to be for sale.

I was planning to do something like this:
AP0C5qh.jpg

smaller fan on bottom

Going for the same kind of built.
with the evga gtx 980 ti hybrid fan on the bottom plus another one. both on intake from bottom.

but it seems like multiplying the fan is not always the good solution.

^ the alingement doesn't look to bad from the pics, but not sure if it's just the pics.

Can you not screw down the MB into the case? Or are ports blocked due to the misalignment ?

In all the pictures the motherboard is screwed down. On the Ncase the misalignment is definitely too much for what I consider normal. No port is blocked, but some force is required to squeeze in connectors.

Going for the same kind of built.
with the evga gtx 980 ti hybrid fan on the bottom plus another one. both on intake from bottom.

but it seems like multiplying the fan is not always the good solution.
Well, when looking around I found this review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1138-page5.html

Since I will have an X99 build with possible a top mounted M.2 drive the lowered VRM and northbridge temps in that chart make me edge towards dual fan for my build

Just got my build done! This case is absolutely wonderful! You can tell that it was made to be as versatile as possible in so many potential configurations! It's just great design all around. Despite being small, it's not frustrating to work with getting at things through the open cage. Anyway pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/0ilzf

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kL7pt6

• bhtooefr mentioned that the sx600-gs cables are too long. It is actually possible to route the flat cables behind the motherboard and it makes the cable length just perfect. I think I managed a pretty clean setup cabling-wise. Having only an M.2 SSD in the machine helped a lot.
  • Getting the computer silent is really dependent on the fans and the fan settings. I had 2 Noctua low-noise-adapters and was able to lower the noise of the 3x 120mm NoiseBlocker fans tremendously. The idle noise is barely distinguishable in a room with an ambient noise level of around 40db (iphone db meter) or so.
  • Temps on the i5-6500k at load running the Heaven benchmark and Prime 95 (4 threads) stabilizes around 65C
  • Temps on the GTX980 with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III heatsink & 2x 120mm fans running very low stabilize around 78-80C. I was able to run the fans a bit faster and GPU temps at load did stabilize around 65C.

Bought a ncase v5 from the new batch for building a small gaming PC.

What mobo do you recommend?
Is there some to avoid/some to chose specially?

I'll probably use:
CPU 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU GTX980TI
PSU SX500
SSD BX100
WC EK GPU+CPU+DCC+240mm+120mm rads

Bought a ncase v5 from the new batch for building a small gaming PC.

What mobo do you recommend?
Is there some to avoid/some to chose specially?

I'll probably use:
CPU 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU GTX980TI
PSU SX500
SSD BX100
WC EK GPU+CPU+DCC+240mm+120mm rads

You appear to be maxing everything out, why not go PCI-E M.2 instead of the BX100 SSD?

I think most if not all of the skylake boards have M.2. It will also save on running a power cable & sata cable to the drive.

Most seem to be going with the Gigabyte for the USB C port. Others have gone for the Asus Maximum. I went with the Asus Z170i Gaming Pro and it seems to be running well for me.

Well, when looking around I found this review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1138-page5.html

Since I will have an X99 build with possible a top mounted M.2 drive the lowered VRM and northbridge temps in that chart make me edge towards dual fan for my build

Dual fan on the CPU cooler yes, but I was speaking about multiplying fan in the Ncase like : 2 on the bottom and one on the side, plus the 2 of the cpu cooler.
it seems like it s not always the way to go.

so NHC-14 plus 2*120mm instead of the 2*140mm.
then one 140 one the bottom as intake in front of the gpu fan, and on the side , the hybrid cooler of the evga 980 ti( with may be changing the stock fan with another 120 mm Noctua fan.

That the cooling config I am thinking to do.
any advice?

Just got my build done! This case is absolutely wonderful! You can tell that it was made to be as versatile as possible in so many potential configurations! It's just great design all around. Despite being small, it's not frustrating to work with getting at things through the open cage. Anyway pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/0ilzf

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kL7pt6

• bhtooefr mentioned that the sx600-gs cables are too long. It is actually possible to route the flat cables behind the motherboard and it makes the cable length just perfect. I think I managed a pretty clean setup cabling-wise. Having only an M.2 SSD in the machine helped a lot.
  • Getting the computer silent is really dependent on the fans and the fan settings. I had 2 Noctua low-noise-adapters and was able to lower the noise of the 3x 120mm NoiseBlocker fans tremendously. The idle noise is barely distinguishable in a room with an ambient noise level of around 40db (iphone db meter) or so.
  • Temps on the i5-6500k at load running the Heaven benchmark and Prime 95 (4 threads) stabilizes around 65C
  • Temps on the GTX980 with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III heatsink & 2x 120mm fans running very low stabilize around 78-80C. I was able to run the fans a bit faster and GPU temps at load did stabilize around 65C.

Why did you use the Accelero Xtreme III heatsink & 2x 120mm and no Noctua 120 mm? are they quieter? more effective?

And why did you chose the Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler and not the NHC-14?
did you find any advantage using this particular cpu cooler?

You should had a picture of the M.2 ssd. seeing your picture comfort me on using only a m.2 ssd. that a lot cleaner.

Last edited:
Why did you use the Accelero Xtreme III heatsink & 2x 120mm and no Noctua 120 mm? are they quieter? more effective?

And why did you chose the Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler and not the NHC-14?
did you find any advantage using this particular cpu cooler?

You should had a picture of the M.2 ssd. seeing your picture comfort me on using only a m.2 ssd. that a lot cleaner.

My main goal was to build a silent pc. Choosing the Accelero was for the following reasons:

• Silent PC is the goal
  • Didn't need "ultimate" performance
  • Accelero offers a beefier heatsink to maximize heat transfer to air.
  • Watercooling's pump puts the noise floor at a higher dB, so that wasn't a choice.
  • 2 fans + 1 fan up top pumping in air for a positive pressure environment
  • The 3x 92mm fans on the Accelero are actually pretty quiet. Maybe more quiet than the 2x120mm fans, but I need air intake somewhere.

As far as using the Noiseblockers, I was just going off of the silentpcreview.com's fan list and the Noiseblockers were recommended, but I think a Noctua 120mm would have been just as comparable. I just didn't see any reviews/measurements on the Noctua fans (didn't look hard enough) and decided to go with the Noiseblockers. The Noctua's come with Low-Noise-Adapters, and I used the Noctua Low-Noise-Adapters, so I'd say go for the Noctua's.

Whoops! I actually went with the NH-D9L based on the silentpcreview.com's build that used the D9L. Based on what everyone has posted it seems that the NH-C14 could be used in dual fan mode, but the D9L seemed like the safer choice for dealing with potential clearance issues. I believe the NH-C14 has more cooling capacity than the D9L. The D9L is fine if there is a fresh air source run in dual-fan mode & the TDP is relatively low. The layout can very efficiently dump the hot air out through the back, so I wasn't too worried. Since the TDP is only 65w my cooling needs are much less than going for a 6700k 91W that is OC'd to 4.6-4.7 ghz.

Hey everyone, this is my first post here!

I think I'm going to preorder the N1 next Friday so I wanted to get some input and opinions on the build before I commit.

PSU: Silverstone SX500 LG
CPU: i5 4590
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600
MOBO: Gigabyte H97N Wifi
SSD: 256 GB Crucial MX + 120 GB Agility OCZ
HDD: 1 TB 2.5" Samsung HDD I pulled out of an external enclosure
CPU Cooler: Noctua U9S + an additional 92mm Noctua in push/pull exhausting out the top of the case

Down the line I may buy a 120mm Noctua for the bottom of the case and a slim exhaust fan for the back of the case but I can't overclock the CPU so I don't think heat will be an issue without them. I just want to max out modern stuff at 1080.

Before you ask why a 9 series board, everything other then the CPU Cooler and PSU are getting pulled from my current build.

Really not looking forward to having to deal with the slight card flex from the PSU but I had a SilverStone SFX 600 for a day and couldn't stand the 80mm fan.

So there it is. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

It looks nice. I don't think card flex is a big issue with cards without backplates. Are you running dual SSD because you upgraded from the OCZ to the Crucial and had nowhere else to use the OCZ?
In my experience, the MSI will benefit a lot from side exhausts and since your CPU doesn't need a ton of cooling, it might be an idea to do that and maybe do rear to front for the CPU.

It looks nice. I don't think card flex is a big issue with cards without backplates. Are you running dual SSD because you upgraded from the OCZ to the Crucial and had nowhere else to use the OCZ?
In my experience, the MSI will benefit a lot from side exhausts and since your CPU doesn't need a ton of cooling, it might be an idea to do that and maybe do rear to front for the CPU.

I use two SSDs for Windows + OSX. In the future I'd like to buy a big SSD and consolidate my system drives.

Side fan would make sense, I was a little concerned about the cooler being non reference style and what that would mean for air flow. I'm not sure I understand your reasoning in back to front air flow. Wouldn't that just blow hot air into the case and PSU?

I could see why front to back would be better though. If the CPU cooler is bottom up the hot air rising from the GPU would run through the heatsink before leaving the case.

Side fan would make sense, I was a little concerned about the cooler being non reference style and what that would mean for air flow. I'm not sure I understand your reasoning in back to front air flow. Wouldn't that just blow hot air into the case and PSU?

I could see why front to back would be better though. If the CPU cooler is bottom up the hot air rising from the GPU would run through the heatsink before leaving the case.

As you said, bottom to top doesn't make much sense because the CPU would get the hot GPU air and top to bottom is probably even worse.

If you do side exhaust then front to back probably isn't optimal; your CPU would be fighting the side fans for air. It would work well, I just don't think it would be the best solution. Rear to front, however, would feed the CPU cold outside air and then exhaust it out the side along with the air from your graphics card.
One of the reason why rear to front is rarely done, is that the hot air from the graphics card would get drawn back in, but with a card that doesn't exhaust out the back, it isn't an issue.

Since rear to front and front to rear don't require reorienting the heatsink, it would only take you an hour to test both.

1. I couldn't get my last motherboard screw in. Like literally it won't allign.. and the I/O shield is pushed as far in as possible. Should I just say Fuck It?

yTdiqbN.jpg

2. What are these for? 4 120mm fan mounts?

wc9uDdJ.jpg

3. I can just slide my psu in right when it arrives? (Having already installed the mobo)

Last edited:
1. I couldn't get my last motherboard screw in. Like literally it won't allign.. and the I/O shield is pushed as far in as possible. Should I just say Fuck It?
Does your motherboard have one of those padded I/O shields? I've noticed they do make it much tighter for the motherboard. Using just the three screws shouldn't pose a problem, though.

2. What are these for? 4 120mm fan mounts?
Those are the 2.5" drive stacking brackets. You can use those to stack two 9.5mm or 7mm drives together and mount them to any of the three 2.5" mounts. See this pic. Note that the mount behind the front panel only has enough room to stack two 7mm drives.

3. I can just slide my psu in right when it arrives? (Having already installed the mobo)
It's more like angling it in, but yeah, it can be done with the motherboard installed.

Does your motherboard have one of those padded I/O shields? I've noticed they do make it much tighter for the motherboard. Using just the three screws shouldn't pose a problem, though.

Those are the 2.5" drive stacking brackets. You can use those to stack two 9.5mm or 7mm drives together and mount them to any of the three 2.5" mounts. See this pic. Note that the mount behind the front panel only has enough room to stack two 7mm drives.

It's more like angling it in, but yeah, it can be done with the motherboard installed.

Yeah it's a foam one. Guess that's the issue. It feels secure with 3 screws though.

Pondering further regarding the NH-C14, I note that both supplied fans are 3 pin connectors, rather than PWM (noting that I would have to replace the lower fan with as 120mm fan - fortunately I have an Arctic F12 PWM fan still in its sealed box). I note the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming has one CPU and two chassis fan headers, all PWM.

Would voltage control over the Noctua 140mm fan provide sufficient control (and would that mean affectively forcing my 120mm PWM fan to act as a 3 pin fan by virtue of using a fan header splitter? Perhaps I would need to use two PWM fans or two 3 pin fans if using a splitter) or am I best to go the whole hog and replace the 140mm top fan with a PWM fan so that the set up is entirely PWM?

Costly CPU cooler if I am effectively ditching both fans but I'm juggling an overclock with a quiet proflle when the CPU is not under load.

Would voltage control over the Noctua 140mm fan provide sufficient control (and would that mean affectively forcing my 120mm PWM fan to act as a 3 pin fan by virtue of using a fan header splitter? Perhaps I would need to use two PWM fans or two 3 pin fans if using a splitter) or am I best to go the whole hog and replace the 140mm top fan with a PWM fan so that the set up is entirely PWM?

Yes, voltage control will provide sufficient control. And yes, if you use a splitter and force voltage control on the mobo, your F12 will also act as a 3 pin fan.
There is absolutely no need to replace the top fan.

I'm using an F12 PWM and 3-pin GTs with voltage control on all of them.

Last edited:
Yes, voltage control will provide sufficient control. And yes, if you use a splitter and force voltage control on the mobo, your F12 will also act as a 3 pin fan.
There is absolutely no need to replace the top fan.

I'm using an F12 PWM and 3-pin GTs with voltage control on all of them.

Great, some money saved! Thank you.

Hmm, using the Dark Rock TF is very interesting... Wonder if it will fit with the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming. It's not listed at all on the Google Sheet.

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been following this thread since the beginning.

I decided to go with the dark rock tf and the Asus z170i. The heatsink will fit if you a) use only dimm slot b for the ram or b) use a riser card to move the gpu to the bottom brackets. I went with option a because I wanted to complete my build but might buy a riser card so I can use the dual channel kit I bought.

The build is going to be a tight fit but the top fan will fit on the dark rock even with the fan bracket insalled. This combo however will not allow you to use the second spot for the intake fan or hdd bracket.

Hey all,
My build is coming together super fast because I ended up getting some really good deals on parts. I basically just need RAM, a Samsung 950, and a PSU. GPU is waiting on the new cards although I may grab a 970 to use until then I suppose.

Right now the biggest hold up is the case itself and the Corsair PSU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $290.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler (Purchased For $19.99)
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard (Purchased For $209.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($327.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Directron)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12-1300 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.55 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12-1300 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.55 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9x14 29.7 CFM 92mm Fan ($16.84 @ OutletPC)
Other: Ncase M1 (Purchased)

Anyways, Here is my idea for the cooling setup. The P14 fans come with the NH-C14 so I thought I'd use the bottom one I have to take out (to clear the PSU) and use it on the bottom of the case. Will it fit there or do I need to do 2x F12/P12 both top and bottom
88iuWhZ.png

Last edited:
got a new hard drive and tried to fit in a 120mm on the bottom while installing the drive. Ended up fitting perfectly with right angle connectors on the drives and a little cable wiggling from the front panel connectors.

dCd9anLl.jpg

7J7BZBml.jpg

tuoniKXl.jpg

1Gx2Qw0l.jpg

got a new hard drive and tried to fit in a 120mm on the bottom while installing the drive. Ended up fitting perfectly with right angle connectors on the drives and a little cable wiggling from the front panel connectors.

http://i.imgur.com/dCd9anLl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7J7BZBml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tuoniKXl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Gx2Qw0l.jpg
Not sure why you're adding that fan on the bottom? Seems like it would provide no benefit and potentially only get in the way of the GPU.

I decided to go with the dark rock tf and the Asus z170i. The heatsink will fit if you a) use only dimm slot b for the ram or b) use a riser card to move the gpu to the bottom brackets. I went with option a because I wanted to complete my build but might buy a riser card so I can use the dual channel kit I bought.

The build is going to be a tight fit but the top fan will fit on the dark rock even with the fan bracket insalled. This combo however will not allow you to use the second spot for the intake fan or hdd bracket.

Thanks for the info, ForrestMan! You should add your notes to the Google Sheet. I might have to think about a different mobo after all.

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been following this thread since the beginning.

I have two RAM sticks and spending money on a riser card just further extends the cost for me, so I think I'll stick with the NH-C14.

You US guys don't know how lucky you are - the cheapest NH-C14 here is approx $80....

I have two RAM sticks and spending money on a riser card just further extends the cost for me, so I think I'll stick with the NH-C14.

You US guys don't know how lucky you are - the cheapest NH-C14 here is approx $80....
Well, the NH-C14 costs ~$80 here from retailers like Newegg or slightly less from Outlet PC: http://www.outletpc.com/al4988-noctua-nh-c14-cooler-intel-amd.html

Deals can be found though.
$40+$20.80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NH-C14-/201512841589
$55+$12 ship http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Noctua-NH-C14-Dual-140mm-Fan-6-Heatpipes-CPU-Heat-Sink-/281922250274

Just keep an eye on ebay and be patient. There have been quite a few on sale new in box for $30+ normal shipping.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

You might want to check your HDD temperatures. I had that congifuration before with HDD under a reference 980Ti, and it got way too hot with the GPU under load.

Even rear exhaust GPUs radiate a lot of heat from the shroud on all sides.

Can anyone tell me what the 4 screw holes are on the front of the case (with the front panel removed)?

They're the ones below the 2.5" mounting key-holes. They almost look like the right layout for mounting an EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 (65x34mm)?

Hello everyone, recently I've been looking into selling my iMac and starting fresh with the NCASE but because everything is in USD I'm not exactly sure how much it would cost for me in the U.K., especially when I include possible customs charges etc.

I have a rough estimate in my head of around £170 to £200, but I would like something more 'concrete'. So would someone who's purchased the M1 from the U.K. be willing to share with me (Through this thread or a possible PM) how much it cost them please? (Sorry if this sort of question is inappropriate or posted in the wrong section of the forum, I'm a newbie here).

You might want to check your HDD temperatures. I had that congifuration before with HDD under a reference 980Ti, and it got way too hot with the GPU under load.

Even rear exhaust GPUs radiate a lot of heat from the shroud on all sides.

I have noticed it got warm before but I have never had any issues. I have had an older 1tb in there for over a year and its been ok. I am interested to see how this 120mm on the bottom is. was thinking it might push a little air over the hdd instead of it just sitting there in stagnant air.

Hello everyone, recently I've been looking into selling my iMac and starting fresh with the NCASE but because everything is in USD I'm not exactly sure how much it would cost for me in the U.K., especially when I include possible customs charges etc.

I have a rough estimate in my head of around £170 to £200, but I would like something more 'concrete'. So would someone who's purchased the M1 from the U.K. be willing to share with me (Through this thread or a possible PM) how much it cost them please? (Sorry if this sort of question is inappropriate or posted in the wrong section of the forum, I'm a newbie here).

I ordered a v5 last month and the case including air shipping to the UK (direct from Taiwan) is £155 so far.
Once it's here you should receive a letter from ParcelForce stating the additional tax (VAT @20%) and import duty (I'm still waiting for this - my case has allegedly left Taiwan :).
I'm expecting ~£40 in additional charges.

I ordered a v5 last month and the case including air shipping to the UK (direct from Taiwan) is £155 so far.
Once it's here you should receive a letter from ParcelForce stating the additional tax (VAT @20%) and import duty (I'm still waiting for this - my case has allegedly left Taiwan :).
I'm expecting ~£40 in additional charges.

Thanks for the reply Mark. It seems as though it'll be within my estimates then, and if that's the case I might have to order a silver M1 before stocks run out (I noticed the black optical drive slot M1 is out of stock already according to the NCASE website).

Mine would be in the process of shipping now if I had ordered last month when the opportunity was there, but the uncertainty over the price made me hesitate (I'm a stickler for 'sitting on the fence' when uncertainty kicks in).

Back