NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. brahbruh

brahbruh n00b

I am very tempted to get the h100i gtx but im sooo afraid of AIO leaking.... Any coolers you would recommend? The cryorig c1 looks soo good.

2. krbuck

krbuck n00b

This is exactly what I'm planning with the exception I was going for two fans on the side. Are you still happy with this build?

3. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I have a 120 mm fan on the bottom of my NH-C14.

It's been recommended to get Very Low Profile (VLP) RAM modules, like the ones from Crucial. This might be necessary with a bottom fan on the C14.

4. XelNika

XelNika Limp Gawd

I'm getting a C14 myself. It seems like the best air cooler that will fit in the case, you just can't fit the 140mm fan below the heatsink. A 120 mm will work fine.

I'm not sure anyone has used the H100i GTX, but it should fit. There really isn't any reason to fear leaking with AIOs, it's so rare.

5. HATROQ

HATROQ n00b

Has anyone encountered thermal issues with a Samsung XP941 or SM951 in their M1 builds?

I'd like to get one of the above mentioned M.2 SSDs to go with my M7I, but am concerned about the 70C operating limit given the tight quarters in the case (will be using an H60 for CPU cooling, and GTX 980TI Hybrid GPU). Not sure about internal airflow in the case.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

6. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

I would recommend getting a small heatsink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-heatsink-heat-diffuse-15mm-x-15mm-x-8mm-cooling-fin-new-/310758760401

15-16mm would be what you'd want. But the M7I has a shroud that blocks it:

[​IMG]

You could not install the shroud but then it's not held into place by anything...

Printermeow used the shroud as a heatsink by using thermal pads: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041116138&postcount=339
    He said it was: Fujipoly Premium Thermal Pad 2.5mm Thermal Conductivity 6.0 WmK

I'd recommend an SM951 since they run faster (PCIe 3.0 x4) and cooler.
    The XP941 would run 90°C and above without any form of cooling. The SM951 stays a little less hot but still benefits from cooling: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9396/samsung-sm951-nvme-256gb-pcie-ssd-review/2

7. HATROQ

HATROQ n00b

Thanks for the tips!

8. krbuck

krbuck n00b

Though I won't see my v4 for quite a while, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an NH-C14 just in case it starts to become difficult to source them. It looks like they are in distribution in a lot of places, but I am just not pleased with the disadvantages for the keep quiet and other air cooling options. Although I don't plan to use my drive cage, I don't see why I should get the new C14S.

Hopefully this was the right choice!

9. jssaylor2007

jssaylor2007 [H]Lite

I pre-ordered my M1 yesterday. How long does the pre-order process typically take?

10. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

They'll start shipping on the 15th, and then it'll take between one and three weeks to get to you, depending on what country you're in and how fast customs does its job.

11. jssaylor2007

jssaylor2007 [H]Lite

Hey Necere thanks for the reply, I'm in the US, and did the mid-level shipping. I see that now the website has an updated shipping remark on the M1 page.

12. hokxj

hokxj n00b

I'm tossing up between the GTX 970 and the R9 390

Specifically these cards:
    MSI Twin Frozr V R9 390
    MSI Twin Frozr V GTX 970
    Asus Direct Cu ii Mini GTX 970

Obvious benefits I can see for a 970 is reduced power/heat/noise which is a big benefit in a case this size. Although the extra vram would help gaming with triple 1080p's.

Then there's the GTX 970's. Twin Frozr should be cooler and quieter due to 0 rpm mode. The only advantage I can see for the mini gtx 970 is having space for the hard drive on the bottom + dual intakes on side panels. It will probably run louder and hotter than the MSI.

What would you guys go for?

13. noobzilla

noobzilla [H]Lite

Double check if the Frozr will fit. I somewhat doubt it will. The sides might be too big. Go for blower type video card if you can, unless you add fans at the bottom and have exhaust fans on the side panels. Otherwise, you'll be recycling the hot air inside your case and heat up your video card very quickly.

14. callumbolch

callumbolch Limp Gawd

i found the Asus 970 Mini to be quite tolerable and run reasonably cool - using a custom fan curve up to about 50% i think. i have put it under an AIO because i had the bracket and AIO from my last build but tbh it didnt really 'need' it to be cool/quiet. and the mini does exhaust surprising amounts of hot air out the io plate.

15. jerrah

jerrah n00b

I have a 970 Strix in my Ncase M1 V3.
    I have the Silverstone 500w SFX-L PSU.
    The Strix was extremely tight to fit in with the power supply and I had to remove the panel pin above the SLI part of the PCB and then cut the case slightly with tin snips.

The card looks slightly bent with the PSU cables pushing down on it but looking online most 970 Strix cards seem to have a bend in them.

I previously had the Asus 970 CUII Mini card which performed fine but was by far the loudest component in my case. The Strix is dead quiet and now the buzz of my Dell 3007 is louder than the PC!

16. flod

flod Gawd

yup it's amazingly silent. and easy to transport

well i don't remember the temperatures, but eventually i concluded that the two fan on nh-c14 wasn't worth it from a temperature vs noise perspective. i think this has partially to do with how the daughterboard of the maximus vii impact somewhat blocks the airflow when there is a second fan.

what i'm doing now is two ap-14's on the radiator mount. cooling is still nh-c14. the second ap-14 blows air into a fanless sx500-lg (i.e. i removed the fan and fan grill and flipped it).

17. hokxj

hokxj n00b

Seen a few pics on reddit where it looks like it will be an extremely tight fit.

Not keen on reference cards since silence is by far the most important thing since it will be in the bedroom.

18. Rorschach

Rorschach Limp Gawd

19. Vittra

Vittra Gawd

0 chance, the PCB/heatpipe is far too "tall" or "wide", extends way past the PCI slot.

20. Rorschach

Rorschach Limp Gawd

21. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Yes, Asus has stupidly made the heatsink on the Strix 980 Ti even taller (152.2 mm / 6 inches) than the Strix 970 (140 mm / 5.5 inches). Some here have gotten the Strix 970 to fit, though there appears to be some variation in height between cards. The Strix 980 (non-Ti) is listed at (134.4 mm / 5.3 inches).

For a 980 Ti, the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming might be a better fit (though just) as it's listed as 140 mm tall.

22. Rorschach

Rorschach Limp Gawd

Thanks.
    At least i have 1 or 2 options so far if i ever need to change my 780ti. But i guess at 1080p i am still good with it at least when Pascal arrives and see from there.

And since we are at videocards,if i upgrade my monitor: how would an Evga Titan X Hybrid perform straight out of the box vs the G1/MSI 980ti?

Can't find any reviews for it - but i presume it is quiet and cool like the 980ti hybrid and with that increased mhz should be good?

23. fishtank

fishtank n00b

Not sure why you would want the Titan Hybrid instead of the ti Hybrid, the ti has much higher value, and even better performance if you overlock. So unless you really want that crazy amount of vram for something specific.

24. nb14

nb14 [H]Lite

Hi guys, (this may not be the correct place to post this)
    I bought one of the originally Ncase M1 case's.
    My plan was eventually build a small powerfully pc in it but i never got the chance.
    I also bought a Compact Splash and my build went into that instead.

I am selling the Ncase M1 that has never been used and only taken out of its original shipping box once, then returned and stored in my cupboard.
    Where is the best place to sell the case and how much is it worth?

I am also selling my compact splash if anyone is interested.

25. makar1

makar1 n00b

26. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Good catch! So, are there any customer cooler 980Ti cards that will fit inside the M1?

27. Rorschach

Rorschach Limp Gawd

That's what i wanted to find out. Thanks.

28. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

You should make a for-sale thread in the proper sub-forum. :)

29. Topsu

Topsu n00b

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($218.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.37 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Directron)
    Total: $864.21
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 17:18 EDT-0400

I have this build with gtx 980 and planning to build it into ncase m1 and I want it to be as quiet as possible.

Which gtx 980 I should go, reference is probably no go because it is a lot louder than aftermarket ones. And with aftermarket cooler, would my harddrives get too hot even with two fans at bottom of the case.

Also which cpu cooler should I go for? Is there any 120mm aio with quiet enough pump or would air cooler be better even with hot gpu air inside the case?

30. aznever

aznever Gawd

31. Rorschach

Rorschach Limp Gawd

Tried to tidy up my WM.
    Flipped the PSU to take fresh air from outside. So far so good.

Moved the SSD and HDD inside (i had them in front)

Put 2x Nosieblocker Multiframe M12-P - 2000 rpm 79 CFM fans down to to blow intro the video card.
    Put a 140 mm Reveen fan with PWM - 1700 rpm 93 cfm on the CPU cooler (Thermalright AXP-100R) to see how it goes (initially i had a eLOOP B12-P with 2000 rpm & 75 CFM)
    Put 2x Noiseblocker eLOOP B12-P on the side, one to blow into the CPU , one to exhaust.

http://i.imgur.com/b4MHCv8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y1bJlOm.jpg

And this is my question.
    Will this work or i should just leave them both intake or both exhaust?

Thank you.

So far no need to leave my MSI GTX 780 Ti with a custom (almost max) rpm profile. So it's way more silent.
    And if i have under 60 degrees C at the cpu and under 75 for the video card i think it's good.
    Witcher 3 at max settings inlcuding hairworks, no v-sync on 1080p after 15 minutes of gameplay.

http://i.imgur.com/AbqFyTe.jpg

32. fishtank

fishtank n00b

So... My spacial thinking is pretty shit, and I'm struggling with the question of powersupply at the moment, what exactly is the tradeoff when using SFX-L over regular SFX? The website says it might interfere with the GPU, what about the ssd slot on the inside of the front? I have 2 regular ssd's and 1 hdd that I need to fit, preferably with a 980ti hybrid and a sfx-l psu. I'm feeling a bit confused, can anyone straigthen things out for me?

33. XelNika

XelNika Limp Gawd

SFX-L is only longer, it's neither wider or taller so it doesn't interfere with the SSD/HDD mounts at all. The problem is that the cables will touch a long graphics card. It's not a huge deal if you have the V3 or V4.

You can mount the two SSDs in the front and the HDD on the bottom. If it's a 2.5" HDD, you could also mount it in the ODD slot.

34. fishtank

fishtank n00b

I'm getting the V4 in a few weeks (I guess, it's ordered atleast :), do I understand you correctly if it should be possible to mount 2 ssd's underneath the front-panel if you don't have an odd? And then another on the inside of the front and a 3.5" in the bottom?

edit: I just read the spec-sheet a bit more carefully, was getting ahead of myself I guess ^^

35. klatox

klatox [H]Lite

Has anyone tried mounting the SX500-LG PSU in the front of the case using the SFX -> ATX bracket? Is there any GPU room to be gained by doing this?

Cheers

36. XelNika

XelNika Limp Gawd

2 inside the front, 1 in the ODD slot (I think it's too tight for 2 drives, but don't quote me on it), 1 in the bottom.

37. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

My post from quite a while ago might answer some of your questions. It includes some photos and measurements I made with my SX600-G attached to the ATX PS bracket by means of the SFX-ATX adapter that came with the power supply. Note the comment about the ridges on the adapter that prevent raising the SFX by this strategy. Those ridges could be eliminated and then the SFX-ATX adapter plate could be attached to the top surface of the ATX PS bracket, and even raised by means of spacers and longer bolts.

I'm not sure the end result would be higher than the V3/V4 SFX PS bracket. It would also prevent use of the hard drive cage and the front fan on the side bracket.

38. Blk

Blk Limp Gawd

39. klatox

klatox [H]Lite

40. Blk

Blk Limp Gawd

Note that, it's a custom bracket.
    The sfx atx combo will not give you that much space.

Search Aibohs post and you'll find his files if your thinking about making your own.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015