NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

You don't have to worry about missing it. Those were extras that sold out in a few minutes, and there were only around 50-60. We've done two production runs, and in both cases we had the pre-order period open for almost a full month. This time around we're actually ordering the production run before taking orders, and there should be enough to last at least a couple of months.

ALSO: w360 tells me M1 orders will open up on our website on Friday, November 21st. Deliveries are scheduled to start in mid-December.

this was posted a few pages back

Hi guys,

I putted my system together a few weeks ago. Sad news is, since a week ago I got some annoying noise coming from my PSU, it's like a constant whistle. When the fan starts up it sounds like it is trying hard to start for a thousand times (with a little beep every time), and then kicks in with a whistle. It's a new Silverstone SFX 600W version. I made a short video of it (with my phone so it's not that good quality) and posted it on Youtube: http://youtu.be/EIxPqfESkRE. I'm wondering if there is a fix for this other than replacing the fan itself. Because I'm guessing this is not RMA'able. Any of you guys that have the same problem?

I would take your question to the SX600-G thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810867

Personally I don't want to see an uncontrolled climb to 50C in a tube. The tube will soften and wear. Bends can kink if the tube wall softens. I don't think the M1 layout will generally have a problem with kinks, but I don't want to see my tube leach stuff into the water after 4 months because its been sitting at 50+C for hours at a time. It's the reason I only use clear tubing so I can panic as soon as I see a plastic floaty!
Maybe switch to lab-grade tubing? Tygon is rated for up to 74°c, and lab-grade Silicone, PTFE, Fluran, Viton, etc are good for 200+°c. Pricier than the cheap stuff WC shops generally sell, but no worries about temperature degradation or any sort of contamination.

Which fans would you guys ideally use/are using (main priority is to keep things quiet.
I was currently planning on pulling the SP120's from my current build and using them. But to be honest I hate the style of the rubber mounts on them, they're awful to screw in/unscrew. Plus they actually get pretty loud at 1450 RPM (probably as most fans would, although they'd probably never be at full speed).

I plan on mounting all four to the case, along with a Noctua NH-C14 that I've already bought, and a 980. Does anyone know if there would be enough space between the side mounted fan and the CPU cooler to mount the fan grills, and also enough space between the GPU and bottom mounted fans to mount the fan grills? Cheers.

12.5" with SFX or ATX PSU?
--> ATX power supply (up to 140mm, non-modular)

This is also a requirement for SFX PSU's but they are generally a lot shorter. The upcoming SFX-L PSU's are longer, at 130mm but are modular, making them as tight as a fit like the ATX 140mm non-modular, or so I would expect.

Maybe you're just not monitoring the loop water temp.
Indeed I'm not :)

I'm worried about the loop more than the components. Personally I don't want to see an uncontrolled climb to 50C in a tube.
The black tubing I have, is specced to 70°C (just checked). Maybe check your tubing's specs to see what they are allowed and maybe replace them in the future with more heat-resistant ones perhaps. I didn't specifically bought high temperature resistance tubing or anything, I went with 3/8-5/8" because of the reduced chance of kinks and I got a type that had very good bending characteristics. So it wouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe you've had a bad experience with this fenomenon, I haven't so I didn't really know it could be an issue.

I mean the M1 has a lot of ventilation and we're only talking about a 240mm rad that sitting at the side and top next to the vents. With a GTX970 this setup would be 40C. With a more vented side panel this setup would be 40C. With the side panel on I can't move enough air out of the case. I would have to increase fan RPMs to force air out when a better vented side panel would allow the fan to move what it's spec'd to do at a given RPM.
I see what you mean. I personally don't consider it too restrictive though, but this case was also about an elegant design. In my opinion, it succeeded very well in balancing all the objectives.

A less restrictive panel would have been theoretically possible, but manufacturing costs were also an issue. Necere and Wahaha360 choose to work with Lian Li because they were by far the most affordable company to produce the low (1,000) numbers per run and to keep the price from skyrocketing, they had to use Lian Li's tooling or it would have cost a whole lot more than $ 200.

I still think a optional side panel is a good idea. I might not have ordered it myself until seeing my current testing, but I would order it now if it was available.
You should put in a request to wahaha360 at https://www.ncases.com/contact
He might be able to help you with an extra side panel. Also mention the version of the case you have (v1 or v2) and the color (black or silver).

I plan on mounting all four to the case, along with a Noctua NH-C14 that I've already bought, and a 980. Does anyone know if there would be enough space between the side mounted fan and the CPU cooler to mount the fan grills, and also enough space between the GPU and bottom mounted fans to mount the fan grills? Cheers.

Yes to all of the above questions. We've even seen a 140 mm wide Noctua fan squeezed (slightly according to Necere) onto the fan bracket beside a 120 mm fan. I chose to mount tweo 120 mm fans on the fan bracket. So long as your 980 is only 2 slots wide (thick?) there will be enough space at the bottom for 25 mm thick fans plus the air filters that come with the case.

Which fans would you guys ideally use/are using (main priority is to keep things quiet.
I was currently planning on pulling the SP120's from my current build and using them. But to be honest I hate the style of the rubber mounts on them, they're awful to screw in/unscrew. Plus they actually get pretty loud at 1450 RPM (probably as most fans would, although they'd probably never be at full speed).

I use 2x Arctic F12 PWM which have a max speed of around 1400 RPM. I use software to control them and they are silent at minimum speed unlike SP120s.

Yes to all of the above questions. We've even seen a 140 mm wide Noctua fan squeezed (slightly according to Necere) onto the fan bracket beside a 120 mm fan. I chose to mount tweo 120 mm fans on the fan bracket. So long as your 980 is only 2 slots wide (thick?) there will be enough space at the bottom for 25 mm thick fans plus the air filters that come with the case.

I have a 970 and I couldn't install a 25mm thick fan on the bottom of the case with a grill on the inside to prevent cables from falling in to the fan. The GPU was too fat to accommodate. Weird thing is my GTX 465 fit with the grill but the 970 won't. I compared the two GPU side to side and it turns out the 970 is a good 3 or 4 mm wider than the 465. Both are considered 2 slot cards though.

I have a 970 and I couldn't install a 25mm thick fan on the bottom of the case with a grill on the inside to prevent cables from falling in to the fan. The GPU was too fat to accommodate. Weird thing is my GTX 465 fit with the grill but the 970 won't. I compared the two GPU side to side and it turns out the 970 is a good 3 or 4 mm wider than the 465. Both are considered 2 slot cards though.

Ah, good to know. I don't know the exact width of my Zotac 970. Another option would be to put the filters on the outside (the underside?) of the bottom panel.

Someone can tell me which is the maximum compatibility of VGA with a standard ATX PSU?
Cards up to 195mm is the maximum with ATX PSU over 140mm long and/or modular ATX PSUs. This is listed in the M1 compatibility section on the website.

All that information is in the first post.
The links and so forth are fine, but the listed specs for the M1 are a little screwy, and not entirely accurate. I don't think w360 has changed them since the IGG campaign. The website has the more up to date and accurate specs.

just a question about reference blower gpus. do they suck air in from the back of the card or the fan opening? would it help to have a fan below the blower fan and/or duct it?

Is there a time set on friday that theyll be available? and will they be shipped in order they are ordered? just wondering because im going to be heading to the parents with my gear and would love to build it over the holidays instead of using my crappy laptop lol.

sorry for the 2034276234 questions, just pumped to finally be a part of the club

...would it help to have a fan below the blower fan and/or duct it?

It might help. The cooler the intake air is, the more effective the heatsink and fan can be. The fan won't need to spin as fast to obtain the same temperature. If you give it a try (maybe a quick and dirty duct made of cardboard or plastic) please report on the results.

All blower style GPU's blow hot air out the back of the expansion slots.

guess i said that wrong. i meant the end opposite the back of the case. does the gpu suck air in from that end or through the blower fan opening? both?

i guess ill try ducting it without a fan at least, just want to get the best possible temps without the blower cooler getting too loud

guess i said that wrong. i meant the end opposite the back of the case. does the gpu suck air in from that end or through the blower fan opening? both?

Air is taken in at the circular opening of the fan:

CentrifugalFan.png

just a question about reference blower gpus. do they suck air in from the back of the card or the fan opening?
Centrifugal fans (AKA blower or squirrel cage fans) draw air in at the center and force it outward radially. Usually they're contained in a shaped housing that directs the airflow to one direction. In a typical blower GPU the airflow looks like this:

Often there's a small additional set of fins at the front of the card, which the housing may be designed to let some air flow through.

would it help to have a fan below the blower fan and/or duct it?
A couple people have tested it and found that a fan directly below the blower intake makes little or no difference to GPU temps. It may help with dust control and overall system airflow, however.

Is there a time set on friday that theyll be available? and will they be shipped in order they are ordered?
No set time yet. As far as shipping order - Taiwan Post is handling shipping, and they do a lot of volume, right? So regardless of whether you're the 5th order we get, or the 500th, it's likely your package will go out on the same plane (assuming the same destination).

Could anyone give me an estimate on how much this case costs after US shipping and any other fees? Of course prices may have changed since previous runs but at least it would give me a ballpark.

Could anyone give me an estimate on how much this case costs after US shipping and any other fees? Of course prices may have changed since previous runs but at least it would give me a ballpark.
~$200 is our target price shipped to the US.

Centrifugal fans (AKA blower or squirrel cage fans) draw air in at the center and force it outward radially. Usually they're contained in a shaped housing that directs the airflow to one direction. In a typical blower GPU the airflow looks like this:

Often there's a small additional set of fins at the front of the card, which the housing may be designed to let some air flow through.

A couple people have tested it and found that a fan directly below the blower intake makes little or no difference to GPU temps. It may help with dust control and overall system airflow, however.

No set time yet. As far as shipping order - Taiwan Post is handling shipping, and they do a lot of volume, right? So regardless of whether you're the 5th order we get, or the 500th, it's likely your package will go out on the same plane (assuming the same destination).

Appreciate all the help! makes a lot more sense now. I'll definitely try ducting at least, maybe invest in a fan for the bottom and rear exhaust later on.

And thanks for the shipping info. So it sounds like they'll be shipping mid december and not arriving till mid jan? Was just wondering if there was a time because Id love to have it shipped to Chicago when im there over holiday but then im going back to Oklahoma, and dont want it arriving at parents in Chicago after I left and then having to ship it to me in Oklahoma. thatd be a hassle lol

Finances have delayed my V2 build for a bit, and so I've had a lot of time on my hands to contemplate component choices.

The complaints about sx600g whining and chirping have me a little spooked, so I was thinking of getting Gigabyte's new mini-ITX 970 and a Seasonic fanless 520W power supply, with a 120mm fan on the bracket blowing into the PSU to compensate for the fact that it isn't mounted horizontally as recommended. It'd be an SSD only build, with a stock 4790k.

Terrible idea or not? Has anyone tried this PSU in an M1? Besides the orientation issues, should I be worried about the PSU weight?

The Seasonic 520W fanless PS is an ATX PS so there is no way to mount a 120 mm fan on the side fan bracket right beside the PS (the front position on the bracket). You can mount a fan on the bracket over top of the motherboard. Or did you mean to install a 120 mm fan on the bottom panel at the front of the case? A fan there might help cool this fanless PS.

The SX600-G not only whines and chirps, it also chatters. It's a little sound effect machine. :D

Personally I wouldn't go for a fanless (atx) psu in the M1 though. Better to pick a semi-fanless I think.

Have you thought about the ST45SF-G? I would if the fan noise doesn't bother you much. The blower on the reference 980 is louder and mask the PSU fan all the time. I basically only hear fan noises when I start gaming.

Err sorry, yes I meant on the bottom. I was also contemplating somehow mounting a fan directly to the top of the PSU, but I'm not sure if that would encroach on the mobo/ram area too much.

Hanakuso - I'll take a look at the st45sf-g again (I'm OK with a little wooshing). Did you mean with the noiseblocker fan swap, or just stock?

The SX600-G not only whines and chirps, it also chatters. It's a little sound effect machine. :D

Mine has been great. It might make a whine sometimes, I can't really tell. I know that it whined at first, but I haven't noticed anything recently.

Err sorry, yes I meant on the bottom. I was also contemplating somehow mounting a fan directly to the top of the PSU, but I'm not sure if that would encroach on the mobo/ram area too much.

Another option that a few people have done is to fasten a slim fan on the top of the PS (where the power cable connects) to help exhaust air from the PS through the top panel.

The complaints about sx600g whining and chirping have me a little spooked, so I was thinking of getting Gigabyte's new mini-ITX 970 and a Seasonic fanless 520W power supply, with a 120mm fan on the bracket blowing into the PSU to compensate for the fact that it isn't mounted horizontally as recommended. It'd be an SSD only build, with a stock 4790k.

Terrible idea or not?

I think it's a fantastic idea! No idea how well a bottom-mounted 120mm fan will keep the fanless Seasonic cool, but if it works, that could potentially be a crazy-quiet build.

Personally I wouldn't go for a fanless (atx) psu in the M1 though. Better to pick a semi-fanless I think.
Isn't 2/3rd's of the issue people have with the faint noises the SX600-G makes that it is semi-fanless ? Just get a silent one, a silent running fan isn't going to cause more noise than one oscillating between running and not running. Or wait for the SX500-LG.

Isn't 2/3rd's of the issue people have with the faint noises the SX600-G makes that it is semi-fanless ? Just get a silent one, a silent running fan isn't going to cause more noise than one oscillating between running and not running. Or wait for the SX500-LG.

The "semi-fanless" functionality of the SX600-G is badly implemented, that's the problem. It causes chirping noises and starts spinning the fan at far too low loads; in practice, it isn't really semi-fanless at all.

A proper semi-fanless atx psu (personally I prefer Seasonic) doesn't suffer from this, and won't require anything extra to make sure it won't overheat. Unlike a fully fanless psu, which needs special care; it's usually not supposed to be mounted vertically, it's usually supposed to get fresh air from the outside directly, and usually requires a well ventilated case, meaning that a fan will still be needed.

Fanless psu's may seem like a good idea, but in most cases it isn't, in practice.

Ladies and Gents,

Could someone please run a slide rule over the components I'm just about to order to just check Ive got this right.....

I already have a MSI b75ia e33 mobo with an i2500K (stock) and 8gb ram. I don't see the point in changing this at the moment. Im planning on cooling this with a Thermalright axp 200 muscle but changing the fan to a Noctua NF P14 redux. A Silverstone sfx SX600-G will provide the power and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini-ITX will provide the graphical grunt. A crucial MX100 512GB and old Crucial m4 128GB will be used for storage. I already have a slot loading drive in my current FT03 build.

I have several Corsair SP 120 fans (NON PWM) knocking around but believe they will be far too loud in such a small build, so for the fans Ive ordered a PWM controller from Swiftech

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

and I intend using a single 120mm Noctua 1200rpm PWM on the bottom/ front intake and one above the CPU cooler (possibly one extra on the side panel if necessary).

With such a large cpu cooler there will be no space for an exhaust but i'm hoping the positive pressure inside the case will be enough to vent it anyway.

Does all the above sound ok in your expert opinions and thanks for any help.

My SX600-G makes a whining noise when the computer's in Sleep mode.

Is it possible to raise the feet by at least an inch? If I prop up the case by about that much my GPU temps drop by 3 degrees. But it looks odd to have it propped up on a random video card adapter I had laying around.

My SX600-G makes a whining noise when the computer's in Sleep mode.

From the SX600-G thread
On my asus p8z77i deluxe (bios v1201), ErP Ready = Disabled by default. When the PC is off, the PSU makes a continuous high pitched sound plus a ticking buzz. After changing ErP Ready to Enabled, now it only makes a light buzz sound that is much more tolerable.

I want to change to a better PSU but it looks like I'll be rocking my old Bronze 450W for a long time... 450W gold is loud, SFX-L doesn't fit and 600W make funny noises?

I want to change to a better PSU but it looks like I'll be rocking my old Bronze 450W for a long time... 450W gold is loud, SFX-L doesn't fit and 600W make funny noises?

Even with the peculiar noises (quick bird chirp when the fan is first kicking on and a light "chatter" heard from the fan at certain angles), my 600W is still a lot quieter than my 450W.

I'm thinking that right now, the best sounding SFX PSU might be the 450W with a fan replacement mod (which doesn't seem to be possible with the 600W just yet).

Back