NBA Deletes Player’s Information from All Websites

Yea fan strikes have been proposed in other sports as well and always fall on their faces in 10 minutes.

This thread is not worthy of a Michael Jordan video.

Thank you for posting it anyway. He was the only reason that I or any white person that I've ever known watched basketball and we are all better for him having played.

I havent been a fan of the NBA since Jordan retired the SECOND time.

That man is a class act. On and off the court. Something that cant be said for most professional athletes these days.

All the way through his 2nd contract after winning 3-peat champion ships he never complained about his mediocre salary. Never held out for a contract re-negotiation while other players around him were making more. Then in '96 and '97 he got his big paycheck.

OMFG @ 2:30 and 7:40

YouTube - ‪Michael Jordan Highlights‬‏

This thread is not worth of a Michael Jordan video.

Thank you for posting it anyway.

Bleh no edit and I failed the last post.

Still the truth though.

The problem really is the greed of the owners. If the company you worked for started making 1000x more profit, and the owner would not give you a pay raise, would you not use what you can to they to make them pay you more?

Of course you would.

Also, you probably make more than 95% of people in the world if you have a decent job, I guess you can't ask for a pay raise either.

I just want to point out how undervalued that number is.

If you make $50,000 a year or more, you are in the top %1 of richest people in the world.

5,000,000 like what the pros make? Top .001%, 100,000 people in the world make the same or more than you.

tl;dr, yes the athletes are overpaid and this strike is amusing.

I find it laughable that they're arguing how much they get paid through their union when they make millions of dollars a year yet an "average Joe" making between $12 to $50 an hour can barely get full health and retirement benefits, or only live paycheck-to-paycheck.

Who the fuck cares? Fact of the matter is, they are not Average Joes. They are one in a million people and deserve to get paid as such.

I just want to point out how undervalued that number is.

If you make $50,000 a year or more, you are in the top %1 of richest people in the world.

5,000,000 like what the pros make? Top .001%, 100,000 people in the world make the same or more than you.

tl;dr, yes the athletes are overpaid and this strike is amusing.

Seems about right as me as far less than 100,000 people in the world are better than Kobe Bryant at basketball, or Albert Pujols at baseball.

It's the same in every field. The best get paid like the best.

Who the fuck cares? Fact of the matter is, they are not Average Joes. They are one in a million people and deserve to get paid as such.

I think that's the problem. Their whole lives they've been told that they "deserve" this and that. They don't.

I think that's the problem. Their whole lives they've been told that they "deserve" this and that. They don't.

It doesn't matter what they are "told."

If they are the best at what they do, and the market will pay it, that is what they are worth.

The market currently has no problem paying their salaries, and far more. The problem is with the owners wanting more profits, not the players.

So uh, this thread title implies the NBA deleted one player's information.

hint

player's != players'

Anybody else here who really follows the NBA? Being a Mavs fan the 2010-2011 season was a great thing to happen. Only the lockout have to happen.

The discussions about the lockout, the proposals in general are good too. Deadspin discusses it, as well as SBNation, then ESPN's "resident sports financial analyst" Larry Coon too.

Basically most of the losses of the teams are somethings that can be "legally written off", even based on rules that were put in place in the 1950s. It's just that weirdly it's suddenly not being applied. LOL

*something, not somethings
*remove even

And most of the "losses" too are actually due to the teams being recently bought, i.e. they weren't losses incurred during the operation of the franchise, but during the purchase of the franchise.

So you think the 30-40 owners should make even more money, and players make pennies compared? Also, you're greatly devaluing the dedication and risks they take. Especially in sports like hockey or football.

"The system" is the market value for the players of league they play in. The leagues aren't going bankrupt paying the players, they just want to try to keep the players from increasing pay as fast as the owners.

When a player gets paid 10 million, the owners have all ready tallied how much that player will bring in to the bottom line. If not he gets traded like any other commodity.

It doesn't matter what they are "told."

If they are the best at what they do, and the market will pay it, that is what they are worth.

The market currently has no problem paying their salaries, and far more. The problem is with the owners wanting more profits, not the players.

The market CAN'T pay it. That's the problem. The owners are NOT making money.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's the players who are demanding more and more money. It's the people around them, all the lawyers, managers, agents etc. The leaches who come to feed off of the players like those fish who attach themselves to wales and eat the left overs. These people do not contribute to the sport.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's the players who are demanding more and more money. It's the people around them, all the lawyers, managers, agents etc. The leaches who come to feed off of the players like those fish who attach themselves to wales and eat the left overs. These people do not contribute to the sport.

Actually no. If you read the proposals from the players, they're already resigned to the fact that salaries are going to decrease. It's just that the owners want a more drastic decrease, and a static limitation on it as well.

The players' proposal is for a decrease in salaries, but there would be some increases depending on the increases in revenue of the league.

Then they'll just go play overseas where their contracts are for NET pay, after taxes and agent costs, vs their gross salaries here.

Let them go to other countries. You think they are going to get paid the millions they get here in lets say China? Or how about Brazil? Ireland? Sure... let them go.

Out of the four major pro sports,I think the NBA is the worst for overpayed,underperforming players with ridiculous long term multi-year contracts who act like thugs and disappear as soon as they get those contracts. Fans are fed up with it,the way they cheered the Miami Heat's collapse shows that.

Nah, that is definitely MLB. Most of the players look very overweight and out of shape, not a "peak athlete" worth millions to several hundred millions of dollars. The ones that are "in shape" are crazy roided up.

As someone who plays college hockey (no where near good enough to get any farther) and going to be a engineer also, I know exactly what it's like.

You have to be joking if you think sports take little dedication compared to those professions. You have to better than the top 1% of 1% that play your sport. If you suck or slow down? "We'll find someone younger and better who makes less, thanks for your service."

It's competitive. It's all relative and scaling.

so are you saying that a surgeon thats paid $500,000 per year is working 20x less than a regular NBA joe that gets a $10 million contract in one year?

Bottom line is they dont. Im all for players getting paid appropriately to the team owners that effectively just juggle money around and are filthy rich, but at the same time realize that salaries are NOT "earned" in sports. Someone playing basketball is not "earning" millions of dollars. They are GIVEN that money, but they didnt earn it. I cant think of one person who "earns" even ten million dollars a year. Im just laying that out there because people always refer to all salaries as earned. The team owners are not earning money, CEOs of big banks are not earning money (especially the CEOs on wall street who left the economy in shambles each with their own golden parachute). Do not act surprised when the government wants to tax that non-earned income.

I'm a huge fan of Basketball, and don't really give a shit one way or another about the NBA as a corporation. But I watch the games on TV. The reason being that the prices to see the game live are to god-damned high. So I vote with my Wallet, I don't fucking go. I don't buy the merchandise either, its fucking ridiculous; $25-$30 for a damn hat, $60 for a fucking shirt, kiss my ass.

Same goes for all professional sports. Nothing reeks of unabridged greed more than professional sports, Makes me sick.

I was ecstatic when they put the minor league baseball team in my town. Tickets are like $9, and its 3 solid hours of entertainment. And after the game, the players come out and interact with their fans. Not like every major league game I have been to; after the game, the players just peace out on the fans and head to the lockers.

My succinct opinion: Fuck the players and the owners. Deciding which side is less greedy is like finding the least greedy politician. Fuck em all.

You guys seems to forget that 40 NBA players (~20 on each team's roster) can fill a 30-50k arena and get television broadcasts shown to a huge national audience on a NIGHTLY basis throughout over half of the calendar year.

These players get paid so much because they bring in a staggering amount of revenue. The surgeon makes $500k because he can only operate on one person at a time. The NBA player makes $10mil because he provides a less valuable service than lifesaving surgery, but he does it to a ridiculous number of people AT THE SAME TIME, all of whom are paying in one way or another to watch him.

Also, it's not like the players have held these teams at gunpoint to get their salaries (despite what some people say). Yes, they have agents to work in their best interests, but the teams entered into a contract after both sides agreed on the terms, so the teams were paying these players what they thought the market would support.

Let them go to other countries. You think they are going to get paid the millions they get here in lets say China? Or how about Brazil? Ireland? Sure... let them go.
They just have to learn how to play soccer and they'll make more then most hockey players here.

I think a good 5 people learned what Capitalism is via this thread. Congratulations.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1037463522 said:
You guys seems to forget that 40 NBA players (~20 on each team's roster) can fill a 30-50k arena and get television broadcasts shown to a huge national audience on a NIGHTLY basis throughout over half of the calendar year.

These players get paid so much because they bring in a staggering amount of revenue. The surgeon makes $500k because he can only operate on one person at a time. The NBA player makes $10mil because he provides a less valuable service than lifesaving surgery, but he does it to a ridiculous number of people AT THE SAME TIME, all of whom are paying in one way or another to watch him.

Also, it's not like the players have held these teams at gunpoint to get their salaries (despite what some people say). Yes, they have agents to work in their best interests, but the teams entered into a contract after both sides agreed on the terms, so the teams were paying these players what they thought the market would support.

No shit sherlock. :rolleyes: I don't have a problem with the percentage of the profits made paid to the players. The problem is the greed that led to the current prices of tickets and merchandise, which has grown to a level nearly two orders of magnitude then it needs to be, and the fact that the fans are willing to pay it.

This is a perfect example example of a flaw of free market capitalism... a result of abuse of the masses so to speak... it's human nature... well at least nature of the essentially uneducated that make up PRO sports these days. It may be a nessisary evil... not for me to decide.

Nah, that is definitely MLB. Most of the players look very overweight and out of shape, not a "peak athlete" worth millions to several hundred millions of dollars. The ones that are "in shape" are crazy roided up.

MLB is a close second,but at least the sport itself is still popular,the NBA is in real trouble and is probably in danger of collapsing. The cap system they use is ridiculous,it makes it near impossible for teams to improve and you have players getting paid for years after they stop playing. Football has the best system,no guaranteed contracts,if a player doesn't produce,he's history.

I know someone who owns a semi pro basketball team and was a NFL agent. We had a two hour long discussion. Actually, he just informed me.

NFL: they are close, both sides basically want the same thing

NBA: is farked.

Problem 1: most of the time, owners have to make lease deals with arenas that they play in. The arenas make them sign for 10 or 20 years. If the team is doing good this isnt a problem. But sports teams cycle. When they start to suck, not as many fans buy tickests but the money still has to be paid to the arena.

Problem 2: players make to much money and have guaranteed contracts. 99% of the time, the player gets paid no matter what. So if u blew 20 million on a star, and he all of a sudden sucks, or turns into a crack head and only plays 2 years, you STILL have to pay all of his contract. So u no longer have a star player, and you can't afford a new one.

There is way more to it, but these, according to my friend, are some of the major issues.

Ask me questions and I'll ask him if u guys are interested. He is in town until Monday night.

Problem 2 is more of an issue with the owners side of things. Why pay Carlos Boozer more than what he gets in Utah, when he isn't exactly a good fit to your team?

Problem 2 is more of an issue with the owners side of things. Why pay Carlos Boozer more than what he gets in Utah, when he isn't exactly a good fit to your team?

The owners assume a TON of risk and they're trying to change that. Brandon Roy is a great example of this. His play deserved a max contract and he was rewarded with one. 6 months later, he has no meniscus left in his knees and is a shadow of his former self. He can still perform out of sheer will (as we saw in game 3) but his physical limitations are obvious. Guaranteed contracts mean the Blazers still have to pay him and his salary counts towards the salary cap. You can't rebuild a team when you have that much counting against you.

The owners assume a TON of risk and they're trying to change that. Brandon Roy is a great example of this. His play deserved a max contract and he was rewarded with one. 6 months later, he has no meniscus left in his knees and is a shadow of his former self. He can still perform out of sheer will (as we saw in game 3) but his physical limitations are obvious. Guaranteed contracts mean the Blazers still have to pay him and his salary counts towards the salary cap. You can't rebuild a team when you have that much counting against you.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ssues-when-they-signed-him-to-a-max-contract/

I'm all for players being able to get a contract for X millions if they deserve it but the teams are also responsible for their own retarded behavior by awarding such deals. Unfortunetly players now expect that to continue. If the teams had shown some collective restraint then maybe it wouldn't have come to this.

Honestly, if they get locked out and in the end that means cheaper ticket prices I'm OK with it. Going to a Lakers game here in LA is f-ing retardedly expensive and it shouldn't be.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/7/...s-david-stern-national-basketball-association

The league demands that the bulk of this matter be handled in the shadows, not because the public doesn't care or because they have an obligation to players to keep this under wraps, but because the NBA and Stern's office specifically fear that with the curtain pulled back, everyone will realize what an absurd misrepresentation of reality the owners are presenting.

Heavens bless Deadspin's Tommy Craggs and ESPN.com's Larry Coon for their skeptical reports on team finances Thursday. Deadspin acquired financial statements from the New Jersey Nets' late Katz and early Ratner eras; they'd already presented docs on the New Orleans Hornets that showed the NBA's funny way of doing math. Coon broke down the statements in exemplary detail, explaining why the union doubts the league's stated losses, couched in every way it needs to be to avoid summary dismissal by Stern's office.

The gist from both pieces: tax law allows sports franchise owners to write off player salaries as depreciable assets in addition to listing salaries as legit costs of doing business; basically, franchises deduct their payroll as expenses, then get an allowance for depreciation on the players being paid -- yes, depreciation on human beings -- which isn't an actual expense, but looks like one on the tax forms. Craggs, Coon and the players' union figure that knocks a decent chunk off of the league's stated losses.

There's also the matter of the franchises counting their purchase cost (and debt financing) as an expense of the team, when that's plainly wrong in terms of convincing players why salary needs to be cut. "I can't afford to pay you because I spent so much to buy the rights to pay you and profit off of you." Sorry, that's not a legit case.

This is why owners deserve and maybe will receive no sympathy: it's a new world, with new voices and a much easier, broader way to share ideas and information. The Craggs and Coon pieces zipped around the basketball web on Thursday, opening plenty of eyes, even among those of us who have been paying attention all along. The league will be disrobed by a skeptical fan base that watched Wall Street burn Main Street to the ground and get away with it. We are a cynical people, we hate being lied to above all else (ask Anthony Weiner) and we're not going to gobble up the bulls--t that comes out of Secaucus.

What a load of shit. They make what they deserve? LOL. They do next to nothing to contribute to society. They make what they do because people are willing to spend too much money on them. Period.

Don't give me any crap about the value they contribute as entertainment or whatever. Wipe 'em out and maybe people will go out and play some sports themselves instead of sitting on their ass eating chilidogs and drinking $5 cokes watching these idiot (on average...) (but gifted in some otherwise useless way) players make $70,000 per game.

The benefit to society from a few of these fans getting a little more exercise will be far greater then what 'professional sports' players provide.

http://www.pitchinginforkids.org/
http://www.davidortizchildrensfund.org/
http://www.sportsphilanthropy.com/content/index.php?pid=194
http://mlb.mlb.com/players/jeter_derek/turn2/index.jsp
http://www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/

Now shut the fuck up before you start throwing around ignorant statements and generalizations. I could link websites for these superstars that give back a shitton more than you have.

And your proof? More generalizations and stereotypes being thrown out. I give up on this thread. The kids must be out of school.

why are people so upset about the players as depreciation expense? firms with assets do this all the time, and I don't think it is "specious logic" to conclude that players over time provide less production and value.

it's bc people should not be considered a depricable asset like a car or whatever. and it is also a way for the owner's to make more money by using shady accounting practices. it's like the oil companies who hire ex-IRS agents to be their tax attorneys so they can find all of the loopholes.

Back