NB cooling on DS3L necessary?

trinibwoy

2[H]4U
Searched around a bit but couldn't find answers to a few questions so here goes:

1. Is it recommended to replace the stock cooling on Gigabyte's P35-DS3L
2. If so what's a good passive choice - I see Thermalright's HR-05 recommended
3. If I go with the HR-05 would it cause any problems with a TRUE 120 installed on the CPU? Based on the location of the NB it looks like a north->south configuration should work.

I think I'll be happy with a 450Mhz FSB so if that's doable at a reasonable chipset temp I won't bother with the NB heatsink replacement. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Fact: I don't have a DS3L, and I haven't overclocked one yet.
Speculation: Replacing the thermal rock on my G33's heatsink seemed to bring down load overclock temperatures on the northbridge. Its cool to the touch now.

Try that first, and see. If it becomes scalding hot, or you're hitting a wall too early, consider replacing it. If you're worried about it banging into the TRUE, try the SLI version, and see if there's space to point it somewhere.

Thanks Leman.

I'm surprised there aren't people out there with this setup. I thought this board and cooler were pretty popular around here......

I have that mobo and i aslo was thinking about the HR-05 but i do not know for sure if it will fit with a big cooler like the Thermaltake BigTyphoon or the TRUE.
It indeed gets hot after long sessions of gaming. Suspect that might lead to higher temps in the cpu area.

I just upgraded from a 965P-S3 and it looks to be the same board setup as the 965P-ds3, which looks the same as the p35 you are talking about. I installed a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II and mine NB temps went down from 44 to 34. GREAT Cooler, I have mine for sale. I am about to ebay it, if you would like to maybe get it as soon as I ebay it, PM me and I will giuve ya a shout today or tomorrow when I first put it up on ebay.

Of course they are only 20 At newegg. Either way, just my suggestion for a GREAT cooler

Bill the 40mms tend to break down a lot OR tend to develop very high operating noise. Had about 4 that i changed on my socketA mobo.
A passive cooling solution is better.

I currently use a fan from a stock hsf from a 7600gt on the NB of my DS3L. :D

it works pretty well, cool to the touch, somewhat noisy though.

Back