Natural selection 2

670 and my i5 2500k is @ 4.2 ghz.. but i dont get a constant 60fps ;O

Nope, it is an inhouse engine mostly coded by one man. Impressive :O

It had it's problems with optimization and too much slow, singlethreaded .lua code in the past, but it runs smoother now. Not exactly 60fps on my stock 2500k and 5850 but very nice

Ah my mistake. Even then, still not taxing ;)

We should get a H group going. I have a vent that people can use to play.

Right now my biggest problem is that nobody really knows how to fully use Aliens yet aka Lerk. soon as marines tech exos, most people give up unless we have like 4-5 onos.

even if I don't enjoy NS2 like I did the the first I still see it as money well spent.

I'm really impressed with the new dynamic infestation that was just released. The version they had in the closed beta was quite meh.

this game is a blast. i really enjoyed it last night. we had a couple of really good games.

the commander holds an insane amount of weight though. the waypoints and everything.

as for the aliens. it is much harder to win right now because people are still learning. if you are alien you need to make sure you use your speed to advantage.. flank a lot and set up ambushes

Played a game last night lasted about an hour. Constant battles over power nodes and different rooms. We eventually got the lead in resources and slowly we started winning. By the end we had 3 onos 2 fades and a bunch of skulks rush their main base. They had no chance lol.

Played a game last night lasted about an hour. Constant battles over power nodes and different rooms. We eventually got the lead in resources and slowly we started winning. By the end we had 3 onos 2 fades and a bunch of skulks rush their main base. They had no chance lol.

its all about the right upgrades like leap, omg so nice. plus it helps when you have good team mates. like we killed like 10 resource nodes by just running through vents and avoiding the marines. we ended up getting a crazy lead.

so how upgrades work is the commander picks upgrades to research and once they are done you automatically can use them right?

so how upgrades work is the commander picks upgrades to research and once they are done you automatically can use them right?

yeah they are researched. there are requirements though, like number of command centers or hives and resources im sure are involved. but yeah like leap or blink for the fade. the marines can get like +armor +weapons passives and shit.

this.game.is.BADASS

Absolutely loving it thus far, such a refreshing change of a pace.
I know it took the dev 5+ years to get this finished, but it's amazing what indie
studios can do when compared to huge, well financed competition.

I have a key if anyone is interested in trading.

Trade complete.

Last edited:
I definitely like the Fade the best. Fade + Invisibility = Fun. :)

NS1 was a huge cult hit back in the day.

I remember when Source came out that the NS team
was kinda lagging behind.

Glad to see they finally seem to be getting things together. I used to host a NS server and the thing with it, is that its players refused to play most other HL mods because they were like completely 100% into NS, there was no alternatives for them.

Game is pretty damn fun. Considering how awful the beta was for a good year, basically unplayable, I am pretty impressed. Cant wait for people to start making custom games and maps.

how is the multiplayer community compared with bf3? i know there not gonna be nearly as much people but will i be having trouble finding a decent match?

how is the multiplayer community compared with bf3? i know there not gonna be nearly as much people but will i be having trouble finding a decent match?

so far there is plenty of people playing and most everybody has been very nice and helpful

You can always find a full server with good pings. Theres probably only 10k people playing atm with more coming every day the game is out. Games have been hit or miss so far though, basically if a bad commander gets in the chair, you are kinda screwed. But its a damn fun. Might need some balancing though, dual exosuits just rip shit up. I think playing in the pitch dark adds to the experience also, esp when they aliens kill the power and everything goes pitch black.

You can always find a full server with good pings. Theres probably only 10k people playing atm with more coming every day the game is out. Games have been hit or miss so far though, basically if a bad commander gets in the chair, you are kinda screwed. But its a damn fun. Might need some balancing though, dual exosuits just rip shit up.

you can see exactly how many people are playing using steam stats

current peak
5,012 6,477 Natural Selection 2

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Played a 89 minute round today. Very exhausting. :)

we played like a 3 hour match. eventually my team just bailed. there needs to be 7 potential bases on a map not 6. other wise its 3 v 3 bases and then you just go into stalemate mode

Not sure why the hell they have emergency lighting after you kill power nodes..... So much better when the rooms are pitch black after the aliens kill a power node, then the red emergency lights kick on, /facepalm..

Not sure why the hell they have emergency lighting after you kill power nodes..... So much better when the rooms are pitch black after the aliens kill a power node, then the red emergency lights kick on, /facepalm..

Yes, I've only played a couple of matches so far but I noticed that really quickly. You spend 10 seconds chomping a power node to give yourself an advantage in the dark...only to have red lighting that is very easy to see in illuminate the entire room.

There should be a way for marines to see how to fix the situation (i.e. outline of the power node, maybe a small emergency spotlight on the power node, etc.), but changing the lighting in the entire room to red doesn't really hinder anyone.

What's going on with NS2? It's buggy as fuck today, disconnects, terrible lag, etc...
Shit is more broken now than it was at release.

What's going on with NS2? It's buggy as fuck today, disconnects, terrible lag, etc...
Shit is more broken now than it was at release.

Strange, I didn't have that issue when I played earlier. Let me log in now to see if I have issues...

** Just played four games over a course of a few hours, no lag for me. I did get the red plug issue on my fourth game, but overall the games were great for me!

Last edited:
Red plug issue should be fixed soon, according to the devs. I've found 24 player servers tend to lag a lot.

Is there any way to mute a player?

Is there any way to mute a player?

Yeah, hit Tab to pull up the Score screen and you should be able to press a button to use you mouse. Then move over the speaker next to their name and click on it to mute them.

the problem with this game is it is just like NS1, which is a highly flawed and dead game. only purists are interested in conversion backwards. there were patches for NS1 that make more changes than you see between NS1 and NS2.

while fun and interesting, NS2 remains fundamentally broken. big disappointment for me because I expected more than graphics improvements after 10 years.

the problem with this game is it is just like NS1, which is a highly flawed and dead game. only purists are interested in conversion backwards. there were patches for NS1 that make more changes than you see between NS1 and NS2.

while fun and interesting, NS2 remains fundamentally broken. big disappointment for me because I expected more than graphics improvements after 10 years.

I don't know man, I think it's pretty great! I wasn't too keen on the Alien Commander mode at first, but it's grown on me. I still have fun playing my beloved Gorge. I love "Battle Gorging" and setting up clog bunkers and hydra forward positions.

What do you feel that's missing game play wise?

Back