Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, online FPS RTS that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival.

Two Unique Sides

Whether you play as one of the elite marine Frontiersmen or the vicious alien Kharaa, you must use unique strategies and your abilities to win. Marines form persistent squads to find and destroy alien hives. Aliens can choose a wall-running Skulk, pudgy Gorge, flying Lerk, murderous Fade or gigantic Onos that can smash through doors.

Real-time Strategy

Commanders play from overhead to lead their team to victory. Build structures anywhere, collect resources and research upgrades. Marines buy weapons at an Armory or build sentry turrets and siege cannons to assault the enemy. Aliens build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps.

Dynamic Environments

Spreading alien infestation deforms hallways and causes space station power failure, turning off lights and shutting down marine powered structures. Use a flamethrower to clear infestation or weld a bulkhead shut for a last defense. Every game is different.

Unlimited Variations

WYSIWYG graphical tools and powerful scripting allow you to create new weapons, scenarios or entirely new games. You'll get all our tools and Lua source code we're using to build NS2. Ongoing automatic updates keep the game fresh by adding new maps, weapons and abilities.

The pre-alpha engine test came out two days ago for the new game and I thought I would see if there was any interest for it on the [H]ard|Forum. Originally, the first Natural Selection was just a Counterstrike 1.5 mod that was created many years ago. Since then, it has grown to be one of the biggest Counterstrike mods out there (pre-Source that is) and just recently, the studio behind it, Unknown Worlds started development on a stand-alone sequel to the original game. The sequel will have its own unique engine and will be based off of the mechanics from the original game.

If there are any NS fans out there, hit me up and I'll send you my Steam ID.

For anyone who might be clueless to the Natural Selection game, check out:
NaturalSelection2.com | UnknownWorlds.com | Natural Selection - About

Counterstrike is a mod, Half-life was the core game.

They've been working on NS2 for quite a long time now, it was starting to look like vaporware!

Had a lot of great memories of this game, fun gameplay, but fundamentally unbalanced. Hopefully they'll address these issues from the ground-up in NS2.

i still play NS1 once in a blue moon just to check out the teamwork. Currently the community is not as hot as it once was since the development of NS2. I hope a playable form with actual servers you can multiplay of NS2 will be available soon!

I loved NS1 way back in the day. I recently saw more announcement news of this and I must say I am definitely interested. Oh and to clarify, NS1 was a mod for the original Half-Life not Counter-Strike. I wonder what this new engine they're using is. I hope it's at least Source based - all the HL engine's felt solid with player movement unlike Battlefield where it feels like you slip and glide all over the place.

NS2 has been delayed, but Im fairly certain it will not be vaporware. The devs recieved alot of funding from the thousands of people preordering (95% preordered the collectors edition lol) and they regularly update their community site with teasers, updates to the editor which preorder-people can play with, and recently a playable engine test.

The game is looking fantastic already, and I will continue to look into it and possibly support it with a preorder of my own once the alpha is a reality.

I've lost alot of faith in PC-gaming in the last few years, except for companies like Unknownworlds and Tripwire Interactive. These guys are making quality non-mainstream games, and they have impressing backgrounds, as well as futures, in modding and working with their communities. They have earned my full respect

Loved the orginal NS and the pre-alpha engine test is pretty nice looking. Can't wait for the official release!

I've been waiting for this game for along time. I hate when companies put out release dates and then miss them by entire years....

I played a ton of NS1 from 2003-2005 then lost interest with all the new source games and newer graphics.

When I left at 2005 i was pretty devistating as either marine or alien, but when I tried it again about a year ago I sucked, either because no one had mics or didnt know what was going on. :/

NS is one of those games that I've always wanted to try, but never got around to it. The screenshots for NS2 are nothing short of amazing. /excite

I enjoyed the first one till the community went down the toilet. Been following NS2's development and look forward to trying it out.

I enjoyed the first one till the community went down the toilet. Been following NS2's development and look forward to trying it out.

Same here; I had tons of fun with the community then took a break. Came back and it was horrible. Also looking forward to NS2 :)

I love how even though they just released the Engine Test, people have already modded in basic deathmatch and tons of other features.
Viva la Mod Scene!

I pre-ordered this game the day they let you, this game is gonna rock my socks off cant wait for it to be released officially.

I'm sorry, I'm reviving an older thread...

The playable alpha for Natural Selection 2 will be available on Steam for all that payed for the special edition on Monday, July 26th. I'm really looking forward to seeing the improvements that have been made since the Engine test.

Link for anyone who's interested.
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

I've heard about all sorts of mods to the current build already, can't believe they're still in alpha. at this rate the community is going to finish the game before they do, ha.

I've heard about all sorts of mods to the current build already, can't believe they're still in alpha. at this rate the community is going to finish the game before they do, ha.

But now well have proper multiplayer

lol dude it's like a team of three people working on it. They even built their own game engine and everything, which is great because source is balls.

Looks alot like Quake 2's Gloom, although I haven't played NS personally. I had a blast with Gloom though, was one of the first team based FPS I played with unique races

Everytime I see a NS2 thread I get excited for some kind of awesome news... then I'm always let down but some kind of minor thing like 2 new screen shots or some kind of alpha testing. I suppose this alpha getting out in the wild is a good progressive step, but hopefully they get the ball rolling faster after this.

edit. Allow me to say I am ever so grateful this game is still in development. I think it may be one of my most anticipated games... ever. I put this right up there with Diablo 3.

Anyone else notice that if you don't buy the game by the time alpha is released the price goes up? I am assuming that means it will increase from 20 to 30. Special edition is still 40 which gets you in the alpha test.

Looks alot like Quake 2's Gloom, although I haven't played NS personally. I had a blast with Gloom though, was one of the first team based FPS I played with unique races

try tremulous, it's done on q3 and closer to ns gameplay I think. mp is still alive and kicking, they're releasing a new version and an xbla release soon too.

This game is on my list of games to buy, if it is good. And this is coming from someone who hardly plays games anymore and has spent less than $200 on video games in the last 8 years.

Anyone been in a previous stage of alpha and have any opinions? I loved NS but I have a lot of games on my plate right now and not enough time.

If you plan to play NS2, I say buy now. This is the first "functional" Alpha that resembles a game, not just tools and a chance to walk around a bit. I was lucky enough to get it during the Organic Indie bundle along with Overgrowth, but its definitely looking every bit as interesting as NS1. I don't usually like plain FPSes, but Savage 2 and NS1/2 are some of my favorites.

I purchased the Special Edition a few months ago and I'm anxiously awaiting the alpha release tonight via Steam.

I found this on their website-

Real-time Strategy

Commanders play from overhead to lead their team to victory. Build structures anywhere, collect resources and research upgrades. Marines buy weapons at an Armory or build sentry turrets and siege cannons to assault the enemy. Aliens build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps.

This is an FPS isn't it? Is it purely multiplayer, or will there be a campaign? co-op? I'm a little confused, as I never played NS1.

So here's how it works,

1 person is a commander or hive leader for either the marine or aliens. This person can give orders, launch attacks, deploy structures, etc. This is in a top down RTS like view.

Other players are in a FPS view and follow the orders, build structures, kill enemies, capture resources, etc.

Back