• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nas Build

Dotter

n00b
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
11
Please let me know what you think. I have very little hardware and nas experience.
I also want a raid 1 or 5 running on freenas. Can someone point out a good 4 port sata2 pci(x) card that will work with freenas? Also, if someone would mind telling me what 1.5tb drives to buy that will work well with raid?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16651107

1 SanDisk Ultra 2GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card
Item #: N82E16820171353
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$12.99

1 Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/1G
Item #: N82E16820144199
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$28.49

1 Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound
Item #: N82E16835154003
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$2.00 Instant
$6.99

$4.99
1 Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129042
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$15.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate $69.95
$54.95

1 SYBA SD-CF-IDE-DI IDE to Compact Flash Adapter ( Direct Insertion Mode )
Item #: N82E16822998003
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$6.99

1 Foxconn G31MV-K LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813186145
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$8.00 Instant $49.99
$41.99

1 Rosewill RV350 350W ATX 1.3 Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817182006
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$24.99

1 Intel Celeron E1500 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E1500
Item #: N82E16819116075
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$49.99
 
I'd suggest either upgrading to an Intel motherboard with Intel onboard LAN or adding an Intel NIC. Those Realteks are particularly problematic in FreeBSD in my experience, and are crappy performers when they work properly. I'd also recommend upgrading the motherboard to something that can do AHCI mode, again for performance, but you get hotplug support too. You probably have to go into the $70-80 range to get both of these though, and neither is a real show-stopper - your build will work. You might consider spending a few extra bucks for a more reputable PSU as well, but again doubling the cost of the component. Finally I'd prefer using 'industrial' flash, either a DOM or industrial CF, but again it will cost a bit more. FreeNAS is very frugal with disk writes though so I doubt you'd have trouble.

Bottom line: your build will work, but if you spend a bit more you'll get considerably better performance and likely better reliability

As far as SATA controllers - how many disks total are you wanting? It sounds almost like you could get by using the onboard controller. It's probably cheaper and a better idea to upgrade to a motherboard with 6 ports than use an addon card.
 
I plan on using 2 drives to start in raid 1. What mobo and cf would you suggest?
 
Last edited:
Ditch the Rosewill, It's of too low quality for such a system. IN addition, that PSU is based on really old ATX 1.3 spec circa late 1990s. The ATX specifications is currently on ATX 2.3.

If you live near a Fry's, I highly recommend this awesome PSU deal:
http://www.frys.com/product/5086545?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If not, go with the Corsair 400CX. Either way, don't cheap out on one of the most important part in a PC.
 
I'd suggest either upgrading to an Intel motherboard with Intel onboard LAN or adding an Intel NIC. Those Realteks are particularly problematic in FreeBSD in my experience, and are crappy performers when they work properly..

I'm using the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard for my NAS running FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE. That motherboard includes 2 x Realtek 8111C NIC's. Zero issues with them and work perfectly when connected to a gigabit switch.

Realtek's USED to be notorious a while back, but since then they have greatly improved particularly with their gigabit NIC's.

See:
HTML:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realtek#Criticism_and_praise_of_quality
 
1 Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound
Item #: N82E16835154003
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$2.00 Instant
$6.99

I don't understand this. Why are you purchasing thermal compound?
Unless you are into overclocking, this is a waste of money. I have a Core i7-based Xeon and I'm only using the compound already put on the heatsink.

You don't need thermal compound. Save the $7.
 
Back
Top