nano!!!

SoniCraze

Limp Gawd
Just got mine earler, i had to go to every apple store in the portland area, well all 3, t he last one had em in stock, the 4gig black anyway.

- lemme explain.. i called the one downtown since it was close, they said they would hold one for me, when i got there they said they were sold out and didnt h ave one on hold.. bastards... they they told me one about 15 min away had em instock, so i went.. got there... sold out.. they calle dthe 3rd one and had em put one on hold... 15 min before they closed i busted in a got one.

FREAKIN LOVE IT!!! Im so amazed how fast it is, i put about 200 pics of half naked chick wallpapers on it, i can click thru them faster than my eyes can reneder em... its insane!

anyone else pick up one of these?

I'm thinking of buying one of those... i just wonder if it comes up as a standard USB-mass-storage device in windows.... so you can use it as a USB flash-memory stick also? or do you hafta have the apple software installed on the computer it is used on?

Jaxie said:
I'm thinking of buying one of those... i just wonder if it comes up as a standard USB-mass-storage device in windows.... so you can use it as a USB flash-memory stick also? or do you hafta have the apple software installed on the computer it is used on?
A "Windows-formatted" iPod is FAT32. It works just like any other external storage device, except that a) you shouldn't NEVER EVER reformat, defragment, etc, outside of Apple's software and b) it actually works with iTunes... :p

I will probably order one of these soon. All of my friends who bought cube's are going to be jealous. :) Did you by chance get the Lanyard Headphones with it? I love the styling but I've never gone with Apple's headphones in the past and am curious about the SQ.

The head phones the iPod ships with are kind of crummy. They're some of the better "free" head phones I've used, but nothing for someone with high quality demands.

I wish they came out with wireless headphones for portable music players. Can you say bluetooth technology ? :D

This nano is so small and the headphones will make it feel clumsy IMHO. I HATE wires tangling all over the place.

Ordered mine yesterday and can't wait till it arrives... probably won't be till late next week earliest :(

I would like to get the dock, but it seems kinda expensive.

Picked mine up from apple store SF yesterday, it's amazing!

Just a warning to the folks picking up the black one, it scratches ridiculously easily. I had it in my shirt pocket with a pack of orbit gum (not particularly abrasive) and it has a ton of scratches already. And of course I can't find any cases yet...

MikeDeuce said:
Just a warning to the folks picking up the black one, it scratches ridiculously easily. I had it in my shirt pocket with a pack of orbit gum (not particularly abrasive) and it has a ton of scratches already. And of course I can't find any cases yet...
welcome to the world of ipods.

Meh

I'm not too crazy about the nano.Sure it's smaller than the mini, but its more expensive and you get less storage space. It's not like the mini was a behemoth that needed to get smaller either.

Personally I dont find it a better buy over the mini, but if you've never bought an ipod/mini that point is moot.

It is a cool piece of tech, even though I think it isn't as good of a deal as the mini.

Thanks darkhorse :p

It's a lot more noticeable than on the white ipods. My GF's 3g is riddled with scratches, but you can't see them as easily. The black brings it out... so a "welcome to the world of U2 or Nano ipods" might be more appropriate :D

And I realize a lot of people have a problem with it due to price vs. mb, but I think this will make a lot of people that were "waiting" take the plunge (like myself). I was going to settle on the U2, because I just can't warm up to the white... but it was big. And the Minis were ugly *IMHO* (sorry to any fans). I do wish it was at least 8gb, but I can upgrade when those come out.

For me the nano was worth the extra price for the worlds of convenience. My pants pockets are already occupied, and this thing is just like the pack of gum in my shirt pocket. Very happy buyer.

lanyard - they apple stores here in portland have ZERO accessories for the nano untill sometime next week.

Actually the nano is EXACTLY the same width as my belt i wear for work, so it would be really cool if i could clip it on horizontally onto my belt somehow.

and yea, i made the mistake of throwing my cellphone in the same pocket as my nano... it looks 2 months old now, so many scratches... o well, ive always wondered why some people try so hard to protect something like this... its made to be used right? its gonna be old and obsoleet in a few years anyway.

The mini was to big for my pocket, so the nano is what made me make the plunge, now i can carry this thing in my pocket and have the headphones under my shirt goin to my ear while im at work.

CoPilotJim said:
Meh

I'm not too crazy about the nano.Sure it's smaller than the mini, but its more expensive and you get less storage space. It's not like the mini was a behemoth that needed to get smaller either.

Personally I dont find it a better buy over the mini, but if you've never bought an ipod/mini that point is moot.

It is a cool piece of tech, even though I think it isn't as good of a deal as the mini.
It's smaller, sexier and solid state. What's there not to love about it? Sure, from the stricktly ulitarian point of view, it's not a lot better (aside from the fact that it's more durable), but you must realize that quite a lot of people buy iPods instead of anything else simply because they're cooler. The nano is cooler than the mini, plain and simple.

Having had a 3g, 4g, mini and now shuffles, i suspect this will top all of those and be the one i love the most. Apple is Avant garde in design and the cutting edge of technology as always. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Eh, im gonna buy a Ipod really soon, but cant decide on which one. The nano looks nice, but for a mere $40 more i can get a engraved Ipod 20gb. $40 for 16gb....even if it is HDD based.

Throwing down $200 for a black 2G next week, specifically for running. I already have a 4G 40GB, but it has obvious shortcomings for running. A flash-based iPod with playlist support and no disk lag is just what the doctor ordered.

Mine just has a ton of finger prints on it right now...haha but that was inevitible. Screw those Nano tube things...I dont want 5 of em. I want one...one black one. Thats it.

MikeDeuce said:
Picked mine up from apple store SF yesterday, it's amazing!

That's why you wait for the iPod Tubes, which won't be available for a month. I am returning mine, taking the 10% hit, then going to buy another black 4 GB once it hits my store (I work @ BestBuy), then buy the Tubes once we start carrying them (accessory = high margin = big discount). While I wait for the Tubes to arrive I wont touch, breathe, or even stare at the Nano, otherwise I"ll get "distracted", lol.

Hey i live in portland too. I was in the washington mall earlier today. They had no blacks so i picked up one white 4gb for my mom. I oredered a black one for myself through the online store. Cant wait till i get. Playing with it is surely a treat. Its so small i can hardly feel it. Just fantastic, though I couldnt say its worth 250 bucks from a technical standpoint. Lot of other players have alot more features like FM etc... But then again its an ipod and its small and looks better then anything else I have seen out there in the mp3 player market.

The new Sony player that are supposed to come out in couple months look really good too. Specially the OLED Display on them.

akapaulk said:
I wish they came out with wireless headphones for portable music players. Can you say bluetooth technology ? :D

This nano is so small and the headphones will make it feel clumsy IMHO. I HATE wires tangling all over the place.

wireless headphones exist.
They all suck.. but they exist.

acaurora said:
That's why you wait for the iPod Tubes, which won't be available for a month. I am returning mine, taking the 10% hit, then going to buy another black 4 GB once it hits my store (I work @ BestBuy), then buy the Tubes once we start carrying them (accessory = high margin = big discount). While I wait for the Tubes to arrive I wont touch, breathe, or even stare at the Nano, otherwise I"ll get "distracted", lol.

Is iPod Tubes a set of covers for the nano?

From apple.com
Tubes
Colorful iPod nano Tubes fit like a glove and offer full Click Wheel control from the outside. This set of five includes clear, blue, purple, green and pink.

yeah

but of course it says they don't ship for a month or so...what good does that do me? these cases should have come out with the damn device

markt435 said:
yeah

but of course it says they don't ship for a month or so...what good does that do me? these cases should have come out with the damn device

all apple stores will be stocked with very near the full line of accessories within 4 weeks. not too bad IMO.

Justinkoko said:
Does Bestbuy have them yet?

What's the return policy on Apple Store?

14 days, 10% restocking fee if opened...although if you decide to return the nano and it's opened, and decide to buy a different pod, the manager should be flexible.

Apple, once again, nails style right in the teeth. This thing is HAWT. Certainly overpriced and decidedly NOT cutting-edge technology, but I'm smitten. If I wasn't still "on the honeymoon" with my iMate Jam, I'd have already mugged the debit card.

I saw the commercial Thursday night during the Pats game and it was an eye-opener, for sure. Funny thing is, I had no idea it was coming. I'm surprised it's bumping off the mini, too, since it's taking that niche and lacks some of the mini's functionality. Seems more like what the Shuffle should have been in the first damn place. Oh, well. It's still hawt.

Here's a gynecologist's-eye view for y'all:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0908/nano.htm

Hal|9k said:
Apple, once again, nails style right in the teeth. This thing is HAWT. Certainly overpriced and decidedly NOT cutting-edge technology, but I'm smitten. If I wasn't still "on the honeymoon" with my iMate Jam, I'd have already mugged the debit card.

I saw the commercial Thursday night during the Pats game and it was an eye-opener, for sure. Funny thing is, I had no idea it was coming. I'm surprised it's bumping off the mini, too, since it's taking that niche and lacks some of the mini's functionality. Seems more like what the Shuffle should have been in the first damn place. Oh, well. It's still hawt.

Hate to say it, but it's not overpriced. In fact, it was recently reported in the Korean press that local companies are annoyed by Apple's big volume discount on Samsung flash memory. Quite simply, they can't put out a flash player with as much capacity as Apple's without charging a lot more.

Justinkoko said:
Does Bestbuy have them yet?

What's the return policy on Apple Store?

Best Buy is retarded. They told me the Nano won't be released until Christmas. (They told me this last week).

For those who claim the iPods are overpriced, you should've seen SIBA's latest catalogue (SIBA is essentially Sweden's Best Buy). The iPods were the cheapest in their size class, sometimes by far. (You should've seen the prices for 1GB flash players! The mini was cheaper than the competition's 1GB players!)

The nano is a steal.

I wouldnt say its a steal. Well atleast no in the US market. Its a unique player. Its more of a matter of opinion. For 200 dolalrs these days u can get many players that have the oclor screen with fm tuner, recorder, picture viewer etc. Ok so they might not be as small as teh Nano but you can fine more feature packed things for much cheaper. Heck Ipod mini was cheaper.

I think by holiday season or aftert holiday season tehy will drop the prices.

Let look at the trends.
Ipod mini second generation only lasted for about 6 months. It was released in Feb 2005.
now its not even available (officially).

Why do people keep complaining about the lack of an fm tuner? I thought the point of MP3 players was for you to listen to your own music? Who the hell listens to the radio these days? Who wants to? I don't know about you, but anytime I listen to music, I love mine to be edited, interjected by obnoxious DJ's and interrupted every 10 minutes by un-ending commercials. I gotta have that!!!

Back