Naming your systems - how do you pick?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Simple fun thread... we used to have one of these, back in the day.

The easy question - how did you name your systems, and why?

Currently: Gaming systems are named after video game ships.
Sovereign - Z490 + 10700K + 3080 - Mine
Normandy - Z170 + 6700K + 1080 - Wifes

Mixed Use: Named after types of warriors
Forge: TRX40 + 3960X + 6800XT (content creation/light gaming/trandcoding)
Spartan: X399 + 1950X + 2080TI - Plex server, some 4k gaming (light console style), HTPC
Trojan: Haswell Xeon - Storage server and VM server
Hoplite: X570 + 3950X + 3070 - Room scale VR + Server workloads when not running VR
Cataphract: X99 + 6somethingX + 5700XT - Server workloads (VMs) and linux desktop workloads and Kubernetes. Still being built.
Legionnaire: X299 + something + 970 - Kubernetes and Arcade games (MAME/emulation). Still being built.

Servers: Named after major warships from the real world
Hornet/Saratoga/Lexington - Micro servers running ESXi
Dreadnaught - Major storage box for the servers
Enterprise - 5810 ESXi host
Nimitz - upcoming ESXi host (not yet built).

owner-pc, only two systems on the network.
at work i follow the naming convention some other yahoo came up with, building#-s/n#....

I like video games.

Desktop - Sol (guilty gear)
Server - Mother Brain (metroid)

Dadsbadass- mine
Mamasans- self explanatory.
Back up rigs are just numbered...back up rig#1 etc etc
Edit- why did i name them these names? 20 years ago i thought i was being clever. Im currently not clever enough to change :p

Last edited:
grim-desktop - Self explanatory
grim-kids - Self explanatory
plasma - (VPS) No idea why...
Bumblebee - Spare desktop / backup PC - Case is black and yellow.

Over my last 5 builds I decided to name them after the ship flown by Alex Rogan and Grig in The Last Starfighter. That ship was known as a Gunstar. The name of my current gaming rig is R01-Gunstar (with R01 being the Rylosian Star League designation for the ship). Also, I am indeed aware I name my PC's after a copyrighted property owned by Universal Studios. I don't really care though as they haven't sent their lawyers after me about it yet. Out!

If it's a gaming rig its named after a Greek or Norse god. My current gamer is Thor. My previous was Zeus.
Everything else is called what it does and if there are more than one then they get a number as well.

If it's a gaming rig its named after a Greek or Norse god. My current gamer is Thor. My previous was Zeus.
Everything else is called what it does and if there are more than one then they get a number as well.
Did that for a long time. Thor/Hyperion were the last two that way, then as they got moved to servers, I kept the names and had to come up with new ones. Hence Normandy/Phoenix (first gen Ryzen), and so on.

PCs and other DIY systems: race cars
  • Audi R18
  • Porsche 919 Hybrid
  • McLaren MP4/4
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution WRC (2001)
Devices, including any that run MacOS: consumer cars
  • Synology NAS units - Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey, Mercedes Benz AMG G63 6x6
  • Nvidia Shield TV - Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
  • iPhones, iPads - Ferrari F12 TDF, Lexus LFA, Ford Mustang, McLaren 650S, Honda Civic Si
VLANs and/or WiFi networks: racing tracks, circuits
  • Nurburgring Nordschleife
  • Laguna Seca
  • Catalunya
  • Paul Ricard
  • Bugatti
  • Monaco
  • Spa Francorchamps
  • Hungaroring
Non-people user accounts: famous racing drivers

My first computer I built for myself was Syltek
My second computer I built for myself was Syltek-02
My current computer is Syltek-07

My laptops have been named after favorite pokemon, our network has been named Valhalla for reasons that made sense 5+ years ago and has held strong since.

My first computer I built for myself was Syltek
My second computer I built for myself was Syltek-02
My current computer is Syltek-07

My laptops have been named after favorite pokemon, our network has been named Valhalla for reasons that made sense 5+ years ago and has held strong since.
Valhalla was my domain for a long time. Did Skynet this time.

Some friends and I used to name all our machines as Borg-Drone#. Haven't done that in awhile, now just really don't bother naming them. Sometimes I miss the old ways, lol

I've changed patterns over the years. I started out with "color" names, but in more recent year's it's been more of a whatever I'm feeling like at the moment.
Greenish
Scarlet
Azure
Midnight
Thunder -- That one was fucking loud until I got a fan controller.
Serenity -- feeling at peace after the post grad school job hunt was over. In other words the first thing I did after getting a real job was run up a credit card tab and build a new rig.
Soliton -- File server in and old Lian-Li Aluminum full tower case my friend gave me. He's now a Mac laptop guy. :/ It was previously used for a rig he used for his Ph.D. research in computational physics, which involved solitons.
Cake -- picked up the parts at Microcenter on my birthday. Someone said I was supposed to have cake for my birthday, but was too busy for obvious reasons so I named the machine "cake". Problem solved. :)

I've had a few other machines, but generally don't bother naming laptops.

Kubrick - My editing and VR PC
Sleeper - My bedroom media PC and alarm clock
Arcade - My Arcade Cabinet
Servie - A D/L box old media server
SuperServie - A newer updated media server, multiplayer gaming.

I always have 3 systems on my network breifly 4 during a build (test bench) and I always name them after its respective chipset z270, x570 etc. As they change users over time it helps keep things straight.

I have mine named like this
HAL-9000 - this was my main rig years ago, then my dual xeon, and now my old 4790k
HAL-X100 - my main gaming rig
HAL-Xeon - modded 771 Xeon in a 775 board
HAL-Mobile - My Dell laptop
Plex_Server - My Plex Server

I use the names of the CPUs in them and the primary user.
Me-Ryzen5600
HTPC-i5
KitchenNuc
Wife-3600X
Kids1-3600
Kids2-i3
RyzenOMV (server)

Back