Naked ITX

Zizu32

n00b
Hi guys!

Let me know what do U about that (friend of mine) idea :)

tn_img_71636xjnn.jpg

tn_img_71615zk6y.jpg

tn_img_71626ljql.jpg

tn_img_7186p0bxn.jpg

Cute and probably the only configuration that Gigabyte card can effectively cool itself, but I would like to see how it looks with all components installed, that could be quite a mess.

Also I can see the power button breaking off very easily.

Certainly nice, I'm interested in seeing the project when it's done. Some cables and components are missing.
Is the storage an M.2 stick on the back or is there 2,5" space included ? Is it a one-off or are there plans to produce this frame ?
Personally, I don't want this extreme form of a naked build (for myself) because of the large risk of short-circuits and obvious EMI.
But maybe with a grounded metal mesh box, it'd be a nice and simple project.

Ask the "friend" to find someone with a non-potato camera or a smartphone from the last 5 years and glance at "10 easy tips to improve your photos", I couldn't make worse pictures with my 2,5 year old phone if I tried.

Last edited:
Great concept, though I fear for the EMI that this thing will radiate, but who cares!

Try and make it a clean naked itx, add some decent ways to hide wires and this could make a really good looking "case" for people that go the extra mile with their sleeving and cable management.

As it is now, it's a good prototype but it needs a second and maybe third iteration.

Personally, I don't want this extreme form of a naked build (for myself) because of the large risk of short-circuits and obvious EMI.

Maybe OP lives in a humid area? In a dry area, this would be Dead ITX real quick, even without a pet or a child in the house.

I never doubted this wasn't very sturdy, as it seems to be made of a thick steel frame.

Maybe OP lives in a humid area? In a dry area, this would be Dead ITX real quick, even without a pet or a child in the house.
Still, having fluids anywhere near or maybe even flies could be fatal to components.

In this stage of your build (Jan 23, 2016) its appearance summons thoughts of a spacecraft's surface landing vehicle. :)

As others have stated, it will be interesting to see it in working order with all of the parts in place.

I like the originality. A lot of the SFF cases look exactly alike, small inconspicuous boxes.

Phuncz, it's not so bad, construction is quite stiff :)

http://abload.de/img/poweron1oyal.jpg

I think you were talking to me, but damn, that is indeed quite stiff. I agree with QinX, you could put a nice "enclosure" around it. As any outer shell wouldn't be important for structural integrity, you could literally do anything with it. You could 3D-print or deep-draw pretty much ANY shape around this.

Fantastic and with the proper care of assembly you could have a gorgeous build. Great work thinking "outside" the box. :)

As mentioned with more TLC this would be absolutely amazing, but the heatshrinked solder joints and the cable ties are doing it a big disservice. With proper cable management and more attention to detail this would look amazing on display.

If I convince my friend to push this "baby" to me, I think I can manage more and make it look muuuch better.

Agreed, there are a lot of very small details that could be changed here to make this a truly stunning build.
The writing on the CPU fan, which is an awesome idea btw, could be optimised to make the braces look more like part of the font and less like a necessary extension.

The flexible riser is, frankly, an eyesore, and has to either be replaced or be made more subtle in terms of looks.

The cable management is a big problem. Not sure why you'd chose to solder instead of crimping when you've got a modular PSU, but you should hide those joints better. I do recognise that there might not be enough space to sleeve all cables individually, but putting sleeving around each bundle of cables and terminating them with a nice clean piece of heatshrink keeps the cables together and looks good.

EDIT: I hope he does let you get to town on it, this concept is too good to leave it in a mediocre state.

Last edited:
Guys, we have to wait for my coleg's decision, what he want's to do with this.
I'm very tempted and couries with this... idea :)

Nice, I'd love to do something like this but my cat, Mr. Fluffy, would not approve.

Maybe someone can help me on this:
hos is the video card plugged into the mobo?

Is there some sort of PCIX cable extension? wouldn't that slow down the card?

Awesome.

Couple of things:

1) Does that system actually work with the PCIE extension cable that has to be used to connect the card to the MB? If so, where on earth do you buy one of those cables?

2) As for some kind of enclosure, something kind of art modern might be neat, like a mesh dome that just sits over it? Keeps the open air thing totally intact but you could do something cool with painting the mesh or something. If you are willing to use a cable management hole in a desk or shelf you wouldn't even have to have a break in the mesh for cabling.

I was decidedly unkind in my initial response, but now it's fully set up, it looks awesome.

Room for improvements, but I really like the concept. Very compact and I like the layout with the card showing on the top like that.

Props and you made it on the front page!

I love the idea! I have been wanting an open case myself like a tech tray or something

I'd be totally down for a case in this configuration but as-is, that thing is a ESD disaster waiting to happen.

Those feet look terrible. Can't you just flip them over so the open side is down?

its zizu32 friend over here

1. build is ONLY ONE OF - of course if somebody want similar pc, the same or another layout and dimmension, its not a problem to doing one
Price for each case even if i order 100 pieces will be almost the same so not worth to doing even small series

2. I made it for my self - no children, no cats no problem

3. dead itx, sorry guys but i dont know when last time i spill some fluids on desk,
also a lot people have builds with opencases with benchtables like dimastech 24/7 which are even more dangerous bcoz of mobo is in horizontal positon

4, I made OUTSIDE box bcoz I like that, if I want enclousure around it I will mod lian li case which will be even cheaper than this build

5. standoffs - i agree - horrible, i had somewhere silver ones instead gold but i cant find them for now

alu custom ones will be better but my lathe-man is already retired so cant do them :(

Last edited:
What does the PSU side look like with the graphics card actually plugged in? Are you using a really long ribbon cable?

its standard cheap (i dont remember price but 4-5$) pci-e x16 riser from china - perfect length

also - i know if throw extra 100-150$ for do custom cables + alu legs and some nicer screws will be look a lot better but, this is not worth for me, maybe some day

EDIT
I change mobo from Z97N-wifi to H87I AC (better sata/24pin/4pin layout)

as you see on pic its 24pin extender - i have to change pins + plug from female to male, will be done in next 1-2 weeks maybe

tn_img_7322e9shg.jpg

tn_img_732377sji.jpg

tn_img_7324khs9i.jpg

tn_img_7325ycsz8.jpg

tn_img_7326i8sp9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ej24
like this
Very unique setup you've created. This "naked" case poses just about the same risk as an open test bench case but more prone to tipping over. I say keep the four feet! It's what makes this design even more unique

Back