[n00bie ?] when to adjust voltages?

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
I am new to overclocking, and have sifted thru some guides about doing so...

but one thing i see mentioned a lot, but i cant find anything about is when to adjust the voltage to my processor

can someone pls explain to me how to determine/when i need to up the vcore, and by how much?

if it is too much to type, is there any guide you could link me to?

thx :)

im runnin a 2400+ thoroughbred

Hi! I have the same CPU!

I only up the voltage when things get unstable. I kicked mine to 1.7v to start with, and cranked it up to 2250MHz. It was stable, tried 2300. About 85% stable, so I tried 1.725v. Was stable, so I left it.

Don't go too high though. I wouldn't go past 1.85v. And make sure to watch temps.

You only say unstable. There are many kinds of unstable, so what are the symptoms of the unstable you are referring to?

Chicken Penni Pasta said:
You only say unstable. There are many kinds of unstable, so what are the symptoms of the unstable you are referring to?
If stuff starts crashing or kicking me to the desktop, or maybe not making it all the way into windows, I turn up the voltage incrementally.

Ugh, I mean like does it just freeze up, or does some weird message of some sort appear. Be descriptive. I don't want to turn up my voltage when that isn't the problem.

Ugh, I mean like does it just freeze up, or does some weird message of some sort appear. Be descriptive. I don't want to turn up my voltage when that isn't the problem.

usually people use a program like prime95 or folding to test stability... I recently got a 2600+ mobile running at 2.66 ghz ran prime 95 over night... seems stable enough to me, hasn't locked up yet.

I am being descriptive, it can be any one of innumerable problems. If turning up the voltage makes them stop, then that was the problem, if not, back it down and work from there. It's really not a big deal until you start way, way overvolting the CPU, like people with the XP-Ms :)

Rizen said:
I am being descriptive, it can be any one of innumerable problems. If turning up the voltage makes them stop, then that was the problem, if not, back it down and work from there. It's really not a big deal until you start way, way overvolting the CPU, like people with the XP-Ms :)

:D xp-m for life

alright, thx for the help :)

ill be installing water cooling soon, and hope to get soem good clocks outta this. hopefully it will be high enough to hold me over till i can afford a socket 939 solution, and then oc the hell outta that :D

Back