• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

n00bie coming on board!!!

rodsfree

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
1,417
Hi Everyone...
I decided to put some unused computer parts/time to good use. :D

I've got a little "all-in-one" pcchips 1.2Ghz Duron that can be completely dedicated to this. So how many instances will she run with nothing else going? Plus I got the console started as services on the wife's & my main computer. :D
 
if it has HyperThreading (HT) then you can run 2, if not then just one.

Welcome aboard!
pwned!!
 
rodsfree said:
Hi Everyone...
I decided to put some unused computer parts/time to good use. :D

I've got a little "all-in-one" pcchips 1.2Ghz Duron that can be completely dedicated to this. So how many instances will she run with nothing else going? Plus I got the console started as services on the wife's & my main computer. :D

You can run up to 8 instances, but you won't get any benefit from it and might even miss deadlines. On a Duron you are best just running one instance as long as you have 24/7 internet access.
 
Just run one instance of the folding program. More than one will not help you out. I don't remember how high the Spitfire Durons (non-SSE) went, but if it's a Morgan core (SSE instructions) or later Duron, make sure to turn on bigpackets if you have 256MB or more RAM. It makes a big difference in points. I have a 1 Ghz Morgan core Duron that loves the 364 and 600 point proteins. Takes it about 1 week to chew through a 600 pointer.

 
Welcome!
What they said is correct, you're probably better off just running 1 instance on that box. Running more slows each down so if you are on dial-up and don't want to connect that often then maybe you should try it, just keep in mind the deadline for each instance.
 
Good Advice guys...
I can see I'll be learning and tweaking for a while. :D
 
That's why we are here, to help you learn so you get the most out of you boxen.

Of course some here are addicted to this . . . . . . But not me, I just choose to spend all my spare money on boxen. :D


 
I'm hopeing that it'll not be as addictive for me as it is for some.... But now I regret trashing that 386SX/16 that I had. :eek:
 
Welcome! Every Ghz counts.

Make sure you read over the hardfolding.com website, hopefully something there will picque your interest in starting your own garden!

And feel free to join us in the irc channel. There is another thread with some basic instructions on how to join us. Believe me, it gets quite lively in there.

Anyhoos, welcome!!
GwilyaGwees
 
GwilyaGwees said:
Welcome! Every Ghz counts.

Make sure you read over the hardfolding.com website, hopefully something there will picque your interest in starting your own garden!

And feel free to join us in the irc channel. There is another thread with some basic instructions on how to join us. Believe me, it gets quite lively in there.

Anyhoos, welcome!!
GwilyaGwees
Yea, feel free to join us in the IRC Channel... acctually no, don't, I never said anything...

 
Back
Top