n00b power supply question

Seros

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Gateway DX4300-05 computer. I am looking to upgrade my video card to a GTX 460. Obviously, this means I need a new power supply.

Based on my video card needs and my case size, can anyone recommend me a good power supply that wont break the bank? I'm out of touch lately with brands and all.

Go get the Corsair 650TX 650W PSU and you'll be set for awhile.

you can get a good deal on the PSU mentioned above for 70 bucks after rebate from newegg

Corsair(high-end), Seasonic, Antec, PC Power and Cooling.

Those would be my picks for good reliable PSU's.

I have to agree get a Corsair that fits your budget just make sure its over 550 watt.

Corsair(high-end), Seasonic, Antec, PC Power and Cooling.

Those would be my picks for good reliable PSU's.

Not all Antec-branded PSUs are worth considering. In fact, some of the EarthWatts series PSUs and the entire Basiq line are quite overpriced for their quality and/or performance.

Also, PC Power & Cooling is now just a shell of its former self. In fact, OCZ (its current owner) has screwed around with that brand so that the PSUs sold under that brand are just rebadged OCZ Z-series PSUs with a much higher price tag.

Corsair is a pretty trusted name these days in PSUs.
TX=non modular
HX=modular except for 24pin,CPU and generally one PCI-e
AX=top of the line,fully modular.

The CX brand is their budget brand.

I'd think about the 520 or the 650 HX if you have the money. Nice PSU and modular, so you use just what you need and not what you don't. My favorite bang for the buck has always been the 750-TX. Usually around 100 bucks and has power to spare.

Good solid PSUs and excellent service.

Back