Mythbuster + Cage Dancing + Tesla Coils = Wow

I wish I could upgrade my C&C Allied foot soldiers with Grounded Metal Cage™ technology. Would make it a lot easier storming Soviet bases..

yep, best one of those Ive seen all day. You should have seen the one I saw YESTERDAY!

I'm so glad to see Arc Attack got somewhere with there show, them and Fighting Gravity were the two most interesting shows I've ever seen on reality TV (America's got talent)... and IMO should of won, if it wasn't for the bleeding heart sob story cry babies who got all the votes.

It is sad that this is the only practical we can find for Nikola's invention. :(

I can not agree with you more. Even tho' I'm a fan of The Doctor, as well as Mr. Savage, and all things Geeky... it is sad that all that Nicola Tesla discovered (and we "lost" due to a "mysterious fire") we have this... <sigh> I did enjoy the Geeky aspect of it all, but I feel the need to pat Nikola on the back and apologize.

I can not agree with you more. Even tho' I'm a fan of The Doctor, as well as Mr. Savage, and all things Geeky... it is sad that all that Nicola Tesla discovered (and we "lost" due to a "mysterious fire") we have this... <sigh> I did enjoy the Geeky aspect of it all, but I feel the need to pat Nikola on the back and apologize.

There are millions of practical devices based on Nikolas Inventions. Thats the problem, people don't recognize or give him credit for what he did invent.

Your radio, television, computer, the entire A.C. power distribution system, radar, x-ray, mag-lev trains, radio-telescopes. Neon lights, flourescent lights, wireless switches, remote control devices etc... The Telsa bladeless turbine is used throughout the oil and refining industry.

His contributions are all out there, its just most people, teachers included are ignorant of this and fail to give him credit. Oh and that S.O.B. Thomas Edison spent his life bad mouthing and discrediting him.

The saddest thing is that Nikola Tesla isn't credited with many of his inventions. Much of his work was stolen by companies like Westinghouse and even Edison.
Tesla invented ALTERNATING CURRENT-AC power transmission. The entire world's power distribution works on this principal. The competing technology was DC (direct current) which lost most of it's power when carried over distance via wire.
The Tesla coil is a form of "wireless" energy transmission. But you see most people saw it as a toy to make sparks. :rolleyes:
Tesla was probably one of the greatest geniuses the world has ever known.
But if you mention "Tesla" most people think of a hair band from the 80s.

His contributions are all out there, its just most people, teachers included are ignorant of this and fail to give him credit. Oh and that S.O.B. Thomas Edison spent his life bad mouthing and discrediting him.

How right you are... I did a paper on him in college (I'm an EE btw) -- what he did was simply amazing. There are all sorts of theories as to what happened to his workshop, Edison having something to do with it is one of them. I also did a paper on Edison.. the man was a work-aholic, idea stealing, slave driver... damn. I think Ruthless is not quite strong enough...

Bah... any true sci-fi geek knows Nikola Tesla is a vampire :p

Any of you guys that have an interest in the turn of the century electrical technology and it's development; I suggest Ken Burns' Empire of the Air documentary. You can catch it on Netflix streaming.
DeForest is credited for the invention triode vacuum tube (predates a transistor) but he actually stumbled upon it by adding a 3rd element to a tube diode; a control grid. He really had no idea how it really worked. With this device, you can build a signal amplifier, and the world of radio and wireless transmission is the result.

Is Mythbusters still on? I stopped watching when they started doing stupid "myths" like... what would happen if sh*t hit the fan... for real.

Fucking yawn.

Not to mention it seemed the show really went off track when Adam & Jamie would do one myth, work by themselves, where as the other 3 (Asian guy who knows something, Hot piece of redheaded ass for the nerds to drool over, and comic relief retard) do their own by themselves. As opposed to "the team" working on everything.

Was in the audience watching this, it was pretty awesome (it's Maker Faire if anyone didn't know). Most of the crowd only formed a few minutes beforehand when they were testing the electricity. Like me, many people likely didn't know what was about to happen.

With all the dancing and jerking around. Would he not get extra crispy if he had confidently touched the cage? I'm certain he would become energized just not sure if it would have been in a safe manner...

With all the dancing and jerking around. Would he not get extra crispy if he had confidently touched the cage? I'm certain he would become energized just not sure if it would have been in a safe manner...

You can touch the inside of the cage...not recommended but you can. The key is your bodypart/finger must stay inside the cage. In other words you cannot grab the poles and wrap your fingers around it. You can however place your palm on the inside of the cage.

Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman have got to be the greatest show hosts EVER

Looks just like what Tesladownunder (OCAU forum member) did ages ago, only aired on TV recently. Would be good if they credited him somewhat. Timing is way too off to not be a copycat.

Looks just like what Tesladownunder (OCAU forum member) did ages ago, only aired on TV recently. Would be good if they credited him somewhat. Timing is way too off to not be a copycat.

Hardly, ArcAttack has been doing this for years now. I want to say at least since 2008. Plus Tesla coils + Faraday cage is nothing new.

I've hated Mythbusters since they debunked my pickup truck's bed covering cap actually giving worse MPG than keeping the tailgate up in the normal position.

Back